FORUMS: list search recent posts

Great Article. FCP X Broadcast Network Editorial Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Great Article. FCP X Broadcast Network Editorial Workflow
on Jun 28, 2015 at 11:38:41 pm

Not in the US... surprise, surprise, but very cool article. :-) 20+ editors collaborating on weekly programming at an Endemol subsidiary.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1687-final-cut-pro-x-in-enterprise...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Great Article. FCP X Broadcast Network Editorial Workflow
on Jun 29, 2015 at 12:07:47 am

I was just going to post that. I know it's not about new media, Internet videos or the death of the establishment dinosaur that is Television, but hopefully people will find it interesting none the less. ;)

Interesting how much of the article was devoted the rebuilding of their infrastructure (under the guidance of the world famous Bob Zelin). I think the dropping costs for local shared storage (as well as the budding cloud storage solutions for those with fast enough Internet connections) are going to be huge time savers for companies that could benefit from it but never had the revenue to implement it effectively. When a guy from TED talked about their move from FCP 7 to FCP X there was also a lot about how they rebuilt their hardware workflow and were saving hours a day because of it.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 29, 2015 at 12:47:44 am

looks kind of like a sweat shop in there.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:45:14 am
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Jun 29, 2015 at 7:43:19 am

Neil, you couldn't be more wrong. In the +39 years I have been working in the industry I have rarely seen a company where editors get so much respect and the atmosphere is so relaxed as at Metronome. The open space is for journalists, story editors and post producers who work together, pre-cutting and reviewing the stories. Having direct contact with each other makes their work easier, and they prefer it this way. For more detailed editing and for finishing the editors can use one of the many dedicated editing suites. Not to mention that at Metronome the editors are among the best paid people in the production chain (-:

So, with all due respect, your comparison with a "sweat shop" doesn't make any sense.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 29, 2015 at 1:09:03 pm

I for one love the open concept and you see this in VFX (yea I know thats a sweat shop).
Ive had the same experience where we went from cubicles to an open office env.
Love it and if you really need isolation, a single studio room maybe two is all you need.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 29, 2015 at 1:43:37 pm

what is not made clear in this article, is that NONE of this would have happened without the assistance of Ronny Courtens, who is a workflow expert in FCP-X. I am still amazed that all of these people are working without issue. This is all due to Ronny's guidance and complete knowledge of FCP-X, and it's limitations.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:22:03 pm

And let's not for get, humble Bob's expertise in getting all the storage to play nicely!

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 29, 2015 at 6:56:09 pm

[Eric Santiago] "I for one love the open concept and you see this in VFX (yea I know thats a sweat shop).
Ive had the same experience where we went from cubicles to an open office env.
Love it and if you really need isolation, a single studio room maybe two is all you need."

Open, bullpen style setups are great for some things, but editing is not one of them, IMO. Metronome has both a bullpen and many editing suites so everyone gets the work area that suits them best.

My major complaint against bullpens is that they require headphones (which damage your hearing long term) and the louder the bullpen the louder you have to make the headphones which speeds up the hearing damage (not to mention the acoustical differences between mixing audio win headphones vs audio monitors). Bullpens also do not allow users to control the lighting and when you spend all day staring at a computer monitor part of good eye health is being able to control the lighting. Finally, bullpens also make it very difficult to collaborate on an edit because all parties either need to be wearing headphones or your have to blast the speakers which obviously is full of problems in an open, communal work space.

I've spent a number of years sharing the same space with other editors and obviously do not think very highly of it. ;)

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 29, 2015 at 7:29:49 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Open, bullpen style setups are great for some things, but editing is not one of them, IMO. Metronome has both a bullpen and many editing suites so everyone gets the work area that suits them best.

My major complaint against bullpens is that they require headphones (which damage your hearing long term) and the louder the bullpen the louder you have to make the headphones which speeds up the hearing damage (not to mention the acoustical differences between mixing audio win headphones vs audio monitors). Bullpens also do not allow users to control the lighting and when you spend all day staring at a computer monitor part of good eye health is being able to control the lighting. Finally, bullpens also make it very difficult to collaborate on an edit because all parties either need to be wearing headphones or your have to blast the speakers which obviously is full of problems in an open, communal work space.

I've spent a number of years sharing the same space with other editors and obviously do not think very highly of it. ;)
"

This...Creative editorial has no place in a bull pen, open office type layout. My diva ass needs room!

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:15:39 am

[Neil Goodman] "My diva ass needs room!"

One of the funniest lines I have seen on here in a long time : )

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:59:24 pm

[Neil Goodman] "My diva ass needs room!"

LOL!

Im a pariah at work. Since I chose to wear many hats, I get three to four workstations ;)

I will now be using your statement :)

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 30, 2015 at 8:52:24 pm

[Eric Santiago] "I will now be using your statement :)
"

Actually meant to say "My diva ass needs a room!

but thanks for the homage.,

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 30, 2015 at 8:55:38 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Actually meant to say "My diva ass needs a room! "

My diva ass already has a room, but definitely NEEDS ROOM.

Already working on the cross-stitch embroidery "My Diva Ass Needs Room" pillow for the sofa.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:45:46 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Open, bullpen style setups are great for some things, but editing is not one of them, IMO. Metronome has both a bullpen and many editing suites so everyone gets the work area that suits them best."

Editing? Yep, privacy and peace are critical.

Key-wording and prep? Not so much.

I just flew back from San Jose and keyworded 4 hours of content in 35 minutes on my laptop with headphones.

Now, when I sit down to edit, I expect to be 10 times more efficient because all the prep is done.

X is the perfect tool for an environment like this. Open pool managing metadata. Editors on the peripheral to turn the organized assets into final programs. Really, is this any different from offline/online in facilities going back a zillion years?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 29, 2015 at 2:58:20 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "So, with all due respect, your comparison with a "sweat shop" doesn't make any sense."

Just a joking observation from the pics. Editors in headphones, no rooms, etc. = looks like a sweat shop. No offense meant.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 29, 2015 at 6:52:52 pm

None taken, Neil. To be honest: when I first saw that photo I had exactly the same reaction (-:

But I can assure you this company is "an editor's dream".

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:16:08 am

Loved the article, Ronny. Thanks.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2015 at 7:00:50 pm

to be fair I weep now with gratitude when offered a suite. Less and less these days.
Also headphones all the time aren't really meant to be aces for your hearing longterm I hear?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 1, 2015 at 8:57:20 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "to be fair I weep now with gratitude when offered a suite. Less and less these days."

I work in one shop that's a bullpen room shared with graphics. It sucks for editing. The collaboration with the others is OK, but the graphics guys don't work with audio much and have no problem surfing the internet or listening to audio while they work AE. Meanwhile if you are actually working on a spot, you have to put on the cans and tune everything else out. Basically, it's a crappy way to work, even if the environment were quiet. Plus, the sound mixes are questionable, unless you bring your own high-quality headphones.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 1, 2015 at 9:21:08 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Also headphones all the time aren't really meant to be aces for your hearing longterm I hear?"

What was that? My hearing is a bit spotty on account of spending years cutting w/cans on in a shared environment.

[Oliver Peters] " unless you bring your own high-quality headphones."

High quality headphones *and* headphones that are good at blocking out external sound. When I was in the previously mentioned shared environment the provided headphones sucked. The reproduction was bass heavy and they barely blocked out any ambient noise so you had to push the volume to be able to hear clearly. Ear fatigue is a thing.

When I went looking for my own cans I covered a lot of ground. I looked at noise canceling headphones but I found out they give me mild vertigo. I looked at hearing protect style headphones (like you see NASCAR Pit Crews wearing) but the sound quality isn't there . I even looked at custom modeled in-ear headphones but they didn't seem like they would work well because of how different sound sounds when it's 'in' your ear. Everyone seems to love the Sony 7506 but I didn't care for them all at (didn't like the sound, didn't like the fit, didn't like how much ambient noise they let in). I finally settled on Sennheiser's HD 280 Pro headphones. They have a snug fit (some say too tight) that helps block out ambient noise and good sound reproduction for the material I was working on at the time (I took samples my work when I auditions a bunch of headphones at a music store).

Thankfully I haven't had to work in a shared environment like that again and I'll always push back if it seems like that's going to be the situation. Sometimes I've had to share a room with a story producer but they wear the cans, not me, and we are both polite enough to take phone calls outside the room.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]