FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to make a choice - PC or MAC ... PP or FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Siobhan Elise
I need to make a choice - PC or MAC ... PP or FCPX
on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:00:39 pm

Hi All,

I'm a regular visitor to Creative Cow but rarely post. Today I need to ask for people's honest thoughts on an opportunity that has been presented to me.

At work I am being offered to choose a new computer (PC or MAC) as well as my chosen editing software.

For the last 7 years I have been a macbook pro user with Final Cut 7 and then FCPX. Before that I used AVID for 3 years on a PC.

I found the transition from FCP7 to X quite disappointing as many of the "pro" features seemed to be lacking but other features soon won me over such as the magnetic timeline, background rendering whilst continuing to edit, quick retiming options and of course the royalty free library and helpful plug-ins you can source widely across the net.

However, since I upgraded my software to Yosemite I am not "getting on" so well with FCPX. I am not a fan of the new media library where everything is dumped within it, including my projects (although I know I can group clips). And my AE CS6 software will not run on the OS and Photoshop keeps crashing and freezing my laptop. I have never had a problem like this before Yosemite.

Now in work I am faced with the opportunity to upgrade my hardware and software for editing. I do travel quite a lot which is why I have been editing with a laptop, I would probably need this to remain the same.

What I would like help with is whether I should stick with FCPX or whether anyone with PP and FCPX knowledge could provide me with a fair comparison and recommendation with the workflow and use.

I will be editing a variety of projects; from news and promotional videos, feature length interviews, live event highlights, music videos, and feature length online TV shows.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Siobhan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: I need to make a choice - PC or MAC ... PP or FCPX
on Jun 22, 2015 at 8:48:26 pm

The more recent changes in the Library>Events structure were done because it's the kind of change many professionals needed. It's a definite professional improvement. FCPX does need some third party help to do some things other NLEs have built in but the prices of such add ons are reasonable.

There's no reason why you can't use both FCPX and Premiere Pro on the same Mac and use the NLE which seems best suited for the job at hand. That's an option you won't have on Windows. While some would say it's not ideal, you could Bootcamp your Mac to run Windows as well if you want both operating systems.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:51:07 pm

Get a Mac. You can always run Windows on it via Boot Camp or whatever if you get cold feet. But not the reverse of courseā€¦

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jun 22, 2015 at 11:19:57 pm

Macs seems to be ready to edit out of the box...PC's often more finicky making sure you have the right sound and audio cards/compatibility. You seem to have experience with FCP X so that's not an issue. Premiere seems more similar to FCP 7..in fact a seamless transition for a lot of folks and it works on both platforms

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:52:11 pm

[Andy Field] "Macs seems to be ready to edit out of the box...PC's often more finicky making sure you have the right sound and audio cards/compatibility."

I think that's mostly true for general purpose or low end PCs. If you buy from a vendor that builds machines specifically for content creation, your chances of running into compatibility issues are much lower. To Walter's point, HP builds workstations, all-in-ones and laptops for content creation. Boxx, Puget Sound Systems and Dell also have similar offerings.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 23, 2015 at 12:22:22 am

For me FCPX and Mac along with Resolve. Not sure about the edit page performance in the new version of Resolve but that might be worth consideration. Media management has been improved in X since its inception. Just my thoughts.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 23, 2015 at 2:01:36 am

Siobhan,

I am an Adobe guy, so will not weigh into the overall pros and cons of one NLE over another. My only comment is this: I think if you use Photoshop, After Effects, etc., you're going to have Creative Cloud anyway, so the NLE is just icing on the cake as it were.

While I will obviously recommend Creative Cloud for you and I haven't tested CS6 on yosemite at all, I will say that the first thing you might consider is trying to reinstall Yosemite again and seeing if perhaps something went awry the first time.

When I upgrade Mac OS, I NEVER EVER run an upgrade but rather wipe the machine and start building up from scratch. Yes, total pain, but I know I have a clean system. Long gone are the days when a Mac was bullet proof and an upgrade was as easy as clicking 'install'. If you ran an upgrade, I would consider backing up everything, de-authorizing everything and then do a clean build.

For Mac/PC, I would probably stay Mac if you have a lot of Mac experience. PC's are more powerful in choice and raw horsepower, but if you spend all of your time trying to figure out how Windows works, you might just be better off staying on the Mac platform and focusing on creating content.

hope this helps,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:21:08 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "When I upgrade Mac OS, I NEVER EVER run an upgrade but rather wipe the machine and start building up from scratch. "

I second this. Every single time, this is what I do. I will do it again for El Capitan.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2015 at 1:08:17 pm

I've moved most of my own production work onto PCs. HP sent me a demo unit a couple years ago, and I liked it so much that I bought a few more. Windows is different than OS X, but I find that it "just works" just as well -- if not better -- as my Macs.

Troubleshooting is the same on both platforms: Google, CreativeCOW, etc. Most of our software (Adobe CC, C4D) is cross-platform and works brilliantly going back and forth. Our little studio use cross-platform business services like Google for Work and Dropbox, so we're not bound to any one system vendor.

We have a couple of Mac Pros, too, and they're very nice systems, but I generally prefer the configurability and raw power of PC-based workstations.

That said, I'd let the software dictate the hardware. If you want to use FCPX, then you don't have a hardware choice to make.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:48:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] " I generally prefer the configurability and raw power of PC-based workstations. That said, I'd let the software dictate the hardware. If you want to use FCPX, then you don't have a hardware choice to make."

I agree with Walter's thoughts on PCs vs Macs with one caveat - if your deliverables are in ProRes, stay with OSX. It's possible to deliver ProRes on Window's, but it's more complicated then you will want it to be.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Jun 23, 2015 at 5:11:49 pm

[Walter Soyka] "We have a couple of Mac Pros, too, and they're very nice systems, but I generally prefer the configurability and raw power of PC-based workstations."

Could you offer specifics, please?
In other words, can you quantify the performance difference between similarly-priced PCs and Macs since you're using both?
The reason I ask is because I have a friend who is starting a video production business centered around Adobe CC 2015 and he is weighing up whether he should go the PC or Mac route.
TIA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2015 at 5:51:40 pm

[Robert d'Alexis] "In other words, can you quantify the performance difference between similarly-priced PCs and Macs since you're using both?"

I don't see a huge difference there. Similarly-priced PCs and Macs tend to be similarly-specced computers, so the performance difference is negligible. Maybe you can build your own PC for a little less than a comparable Mac, maybe you'll spend a little more building from an integrator.

I think the nMP is actually really well-priced for what you get. Dual-GPU and PCIe-attached solid state storage come standard. The problem is that the configuration options available are very limited.

If you are willing to spend more, you can get more with a PC. Do you want support that comes to your office instead of lugging your Mac to the mall? HP offers it. Have an application like Octane Renderer that requires CUDA? You're stuck with AMD D-series in a nMP, but you can put any GPU you like in a PC. Have a CPU-bound task? With the Mac Pro being single-socket, you can buy a PC that's literally twice as fast at some tasks by buying a dual-CPU PC.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Jun 23, 2015 at 6:11:18 pm

Thanks Walter for a speedy and very informative answer.
I'll pass that information along to my friend so he can make informed buying decisions for his shop.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 23, 2015 at 7:27:55 pm

[Siobhan Elise] "I will be editing a variety of projects; from news and promotional videos, feature length interviews, live event highlights, music videos, and feature length online TV shows.
"

Better informed people than me on here - but I'd say if you're 7 years on the mac, and they're paying - then stick with what you're comfortable with? PC is a bit of wrench I find - also as herb said - stuff like pro res is a lot simpler on OSX.

On software, FCPX is ludicrously powerful for a couple of hundred quid - that's a no brainer - the thing you'd really be pitching them on would be an annual creative cloud subscription outlay. CS6 isn't going to cut it anymore maybe, yosemite freezes or no. Definitely not in Premiere Pro terms. Current CC Premiere is genuinely great software - and you get AE PS and the kitchen sink. CS6 premiere not so much. If you liked FCP7 - you'll love premiere CC. Seriously.
For the spread of stuff you'd be doing, some of it you'd think FCPX would be ideal for - it's past proven it can do all of it really - but it's built for speed in terms of getting footage in and categorised. But premiere in combination with after effects (even if you're grabbing someone else for AE) as well as PS and audition for audio is a pretty serious combo.

you'd think if they're happy to spring for a stacked MBP (say two and a half grand?) - then FCPX shouldn't be an issue and you already know how to work it sure.
But if you get creative cloud running on it, that gives you and them a bit of latitude given it turns it into an AE PS PR etc station as well?

If you get that lot, then you can try hitting them up for a nice little wacom and a rugged thunderbolt drive and all..

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]