FORUMS: list search recent posts

China? Yeah, China for gods sake.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
China? Yeah, China for gods sake.
on Jun 16, 2015 at 8:40:07 pm

Remember I noted that the rest of the world was having an easier transition to FCP X than the U.S.
One small blog post from one small editor half a world away.
Just interesting.

http://thedailylunge.com/blog/2015/6/16/fcpx-rocks

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: China? Yeah, China for gods sake.
on Jun 16, 2015 at 8:55:37 pm

[Bill Davis] "Remember I noted that the rest of the world was having an easier transition to FCP X than the U.S."

So maybe I just need to stand on my head to see it the right way.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:16:00 pm

So if I'm getting this right, that means that one out of 1.3 Billion people in China love FCPX. OK...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:47:38 am

Methinks you're pretending poor comprehension skills for effect? Let me help you. It means that at least one multi editor shop in China REQUIRES their editors to work on X. And after a while, the same story unfolds there as it does everywhere. An experienced editor who originally hated it, had the oft mentioned moment arrive where it just "clicked" and after that suddenly the big deal some of us have been describing for the past four years became evident to him. To the point where yet another editor honestly feels that they're getting TWICE the productivity and immeasurably more fun at work. It's the same old FCP X story, just happening half a world away. That's all.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:23:06 pm

"Working in Premiere is like visiting your grandparents..." So true.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:28:59 pm

[James Culbertson] ""Working in Premiere is like visiting your grandparents..." So true."

Well Mick Jagger is a grandpa ... so does that mean working in Ppro is like visiting a rock star?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:36:54 pm

[James Culbertson] ""Working in Premiere is like visiting your grandparents..." So true."

Because they are full of wisdom and experience yet are routinely discounted and marginalized by an increasingly vapid, self-obsessed, youth-centric culture enamored by the latest fads, celebrities and gadgets? ;)

Take that Stu and your dang door/hallway analogy!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:59:36 am

Veneration is lovely - right up until they they announce that they are going to visit their grandkids and park the Winnebago at your house...for the entire summer. Just sayin.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 17, 2015 at 1:30:08 am
Last Edited By Scott Witthaus on Jun 17, 2015 at 1:33:21 am

[James Culbertson] ""Working in Premiere is like visiting your grandparents..." "

Perfect. Dennis, send this up to marketing! "The NLE with the left blinker always on..."

;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 16, 2015 at 10:38:07 pm
Last Edited By Aindreas Gallagher on Jun 16, 2015 at 10:46:15 pm

"Then, one day it just clicked. I loved the lack of rules. Favouriting is the best thing on the planet! I could bash out a slick edit at least twice as fast."

yep, that's what I keep hearing. Sounds stunning. I do love a 2X slick edit. They're aren't many kinds of edits better than that.

*edit* sorry there's more:

"I edit in the zone, pumped and energized and FCPX allows me to mix and cut as fast as my brain goes."
that man's brain has been recorded on the salt flats - and I'm here to tell you now - that brain is running fast and hot.

why is it, you might wonder, that roughly two thirds of the people boosting X are trying to sell something and the other third sound like they've drank something.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 16, 2015 at 11:26:14 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "other third sound like they've drank something."

To be fair Aindreas, many time you sound like you drank something too. ;)

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:06:04 am

[Andrew Kimery] "[Aindreas Gallagher] "other third sound like they've drank something."

To be fair Aindreas, many time you sound like you drank something too. ;)
"

hahahaha

I had great time in LA Andrew, will have to try to catch up next time.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 17, 2015 at 10:28:51 am

[Andrew Kimery] "To be fair Aindreas, many time you sound like you drank something too. ;)"

that line can be overdone you know...

seriously though - try a thought experiment - so an avid editor starts using Premiere Pro:

one day it just clicked. I loved the lack of rules. Favouriting is the best thing on the planet! I could bash out a slick edit at least twice as fast!"

I edit in the zone! pumped and energized and Premiere Pro allows me to mix and cut as fast as my brain goes.

you ever hear an avid editor talk like that? Premiere Pro editor? Any editor?

I mean, who in God's name talks like that?

Ah yes that's right - the unhinged little posse of FCPX devotees making slick edits two times faster than their grandparents on rad rad rad FCPX.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:31:37 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Ah yes that's right - the unhinged little posse of FCPX devotees making slick edits two times faster than their grandparents on rad rad rad FCPX.
"

Well you are quite right there.

I don't ever hear Premiere Pro or AVID editors talk like that...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 16, 2015 at 11:51:51 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "why is it, you might wonder, that roughly two thirds of the people boosting X are trying to sell something and the other third sound like they've drank something."

lol. Surprisingly, there are a lot of people using X who don't post about it at all. They just, you know, use it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 17, 2015 at 3:07:07 am

Counter question: how come the people who love X are so often people like this with loads of other NLE experience who've stuck with their X "aculturalization" until the imaginary "click" happens - and all the people still poo-poohing it loudly are pretty much people who've never gone much farther than the kicking the tires stage?

To quote NBC: The More You Know...

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:19:36 am

The more you know spots were cut on avid... Just saying.
Bill, I'm curious as to why you feel the need to promote FCPX so hard? Why does it matter if people think it's the greatest thing on earth, or a kids toy? I'm really just curious, not setting a trap or making fun of anyone.
For the record, I'll cut on any system, as long as they are paying my rate. To me it doesn't matter, they are paying for me, not the tool.

Scott Cumbo
Lead Editor
Bellator MMA/Spike TV

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 17, 2015 at 6:52:11 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 17, 2015 at 7:37:00 am

Scott,

It's quite simple, really. I sat in the audience as X was released at NAB 2011. I saw a bunch of interesting ideas I'd never considered before in my 12 plus years as an editor. I heard a LOT of applause and cheering that night. Then I went on-line the next few days and watched as most of the so-called "professionals" gleefully savaged it as stupid and dumb and worthy only of scorn. Understand this is 3 months BEFORE anyone outside of an apple lab had spent even a minute using it! Then in July, I downloaded it along with everyone else. And was deeply bummed to learn that my MacPro didn't have an Open CL capable card so I couldn't install it! On a lark, I tried it on my Laptop with more success. Started exploring it and like most editors, did NOT have an easy time of it. But I remembered the conceptual stuff that I'd seen at NAB and was excited by, so I kept going through the frustration. Then I slowly started to "get it" - the database reminded me vaguely of my beloved FileMaker Pro. After I figured out the basics of tagging, I started to realize that I could pre-edit in the event browser - and leverage those decisions to speed up my work. I was having SUCCESS with it. I was beating my deadlines. Getting more work done than before. And editing was more enjoyable and more fun. But everywhere I went on the boards in those first two or three years, all I read was how useless and lame it was. This huge wail about how Apple had ruined FCP and turned their back on pro editing. But day after day I was finding more and more I was liking. Multicam arrived and Totally Rocked! I got smarter and smarter with the database stuff. I was turning out DSLR work that looked gorgeous - with solid blacks and controllable depth of field and gracious skin tones. And then I realized that the guys bashing it the most often didn't actually USE it! So really from day one, I heard hundreds of guys bloviating about what crap it was - but precious few voices that actually used the damn program at a level of any expertise and I felt compelled early to set the record a bit straighter. Honestly the motivation was twofold for me. The selfish part is that I like to write and I enjoy mixing it up in debate. I find that fun. But there's an altruistic part too. The program was working really, really well for me. It was making my work easier. But I also knew there were other editors who would have the same experience I'd had if they just didn't get scared off by the crap the haters kept spewing. Look, if I was an auto mechanic and stumbled into a tool that cut half the time and effort out of dropping a transmission - but didn't tell the other guys in my shop, I'd be a dick. To my thinking, finding a tool that works really well for you, and not spreading the word makes one selfish, and I don't want to be that. That's pretty much the story. FWIW

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 18, 2015 at 2:14:46 am

Bill,
Thanks for the reply and fair enough answer. I don't post much, but stop by every now and then just to browse and always see you in the middle of these things. To be honest I've never touched FCPX, just no demand for it in my little editing world.

Scott Cumbo
Lead Editor
Bellator MMA/Spike TV

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 18, 2015 at 5:35:20 am

All I'll say is that if you wait for the demand, you risk that if a demand does develop, you may be way back in a line behind thousands of editors who did not.

For decades, an edit suite was a thing a company provided for an editor in an office building. And, of course, that still happens. But today, it's also clear an editor cam easily come to a job with all the tools needed in his or her briefcase.

I see from your sig that you work - at least partially - in cable programming.

You might find this interesting.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:59:58 am

[Bill Davis] "All I'll say is that if you wait for the demand, you risk that if a demand does develop, you may be way back in a line behind thousands of editors who did not.
"

Handful of loosely related observations and anecdotes...

1. Odd thing to say Bill since recently you've highlighted NLE agnostic situations (the client only cares about the final product, not the NLE) as well as situations where editors dictate which NLE they use (my NLE or the highway) as reasons why one doesn't need to worry about knowing multiple NLEs.

2. While I'm waiting for the demand for FCP X to start showing up in my neck of the woods I've been editing on PPro because there is a growing demand for that. And Avid because the demand for that, while always high, is probably the highest it's been since I moved to LA 11 years ago. And FCP 7 because the demand for that is waning but not gone.

3. Speaking of Avid... what do Avid, PPro, FCP 7, AE, Photoshop, and Resolve all have in common? Probably many things, but for this rhetorical question the right answer is, they are all applications I use on a regular basis to make a living yet I wasn't an early adopter on any of them. Off the top of my head I'd guess the closest to the ground floor I ever got was with FCP (I started on version 3). I'm sure I'll add FCP X to that list at some point.

4. Speaking of FCP X... Funny story, in 2013 I picked up a side project (a feature length doc) and I had planned on using that as my test bed to learn FCP X (it was a low budget affair with more time than money so the situation was perfect for working through the growing pains on a real project). Right after I agreed to do the documentary though I got hired to edit a web series, and the web series had to be done on Premiere Pro. I didn't know PPro at the time but the producers and I really hit it off so they were understanding that it would be a little rough going at the beginning while I got up to speed on a new NLE.

Since I had to learn PPro for the web series I didn't want to be learning FCP X at the same time so I decided to do the doc in PPro as well. In case anyone is curious, the web series turned out very well and the doc is on an indefinite hiatus due to lack of funds (shocker, I know). Interesting how that happy accident ended up leaving me with a more marketable skill.

5. I can't speak to all of them but I know at least some of the original shows on Amazon and Hulu are being edited on Avid. If I had to venture a guess I'd say most/all of the original shows on Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc., are edited on Avid because they are scripted shows and that world is still ruled by Avid.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:18:30 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "1. Odd thing to say Bill since recently you've highlighted NLE agnostic situations (the client only cares about the final product, not the NLE) as well as situations where editors dictate which NLE they use (my NLE or the highway) as reasons why one doesn't need to worry about knowing multiple NLEs."

Andrew,

There's this thing called context.

I write extemporaneously within the context of the conversation at the time.

If the context changes, it may well appear that my opinions change. (And sometimes they actually do!) it's acknowledging that as new information appears, it's OK to alter ones opinion on a subject. In fact, not to, is a sure sign of hidebound thinking, which, in my experience, is a generally bad thing.

As to multiple NLEs - methinks you are once again confusing the needs of the roving "hired gun" editor who has to cut based on the clients whims - to the individual who makes their living solving problems more directly through the medium of visual communications.

Where you live, sure there's a HUGE preponderance of the former. It's a MEDIA town. Like NewYork and perhaps Chicago - not to mention London, Mumbai and a hand full of other similar global media hubs.

Then there's the REST of the entire planet. Where concerns from small business to huge ad agencies to artistic groups to not-for profits - who ALL have needs to communicate via video - to constituencies large and small - have needs that may diverge from those that Hollywood has traditionally had.

And then theres the FACT that the entire production process itself is changing. The rise of metadata, the miniaturization of cameras, the capabilities of laptops to replace video and audio recording studios - the changes are HUGE and pervasive.

You want to forge a career as a Hollywood hired gun, absolutely learn AVID and PremierePro if that's what they want you to cut on this year. You'd be stupid not to.

But if you choose NOT to add FCP X into that mix for whatever reason - that's a choice that will have ramifications I believe. Of course I may be wrong. And so may you. We won't know for years.

I'll just say that in all business, productivity matters.

And many, many X editors are delighted precisely because we feel that we've gained in precisely that - productivity - by switching to X.

A great editor can do great editing on any editing software.

Buy a smart editor doesn't want to unnecessarily waste time and effort doing their editing. Which is precisely why I think X will be around for a LONG time.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 18, 2015 at 7:13:01 pm

[Bill Davis] "I write extemporaneously within the context of the conversation at the time.

If the context changes, it may well appear that my opinions change. (And sometimes they actually do!) it's acknowledging that as new information appears, it's OK to alter ones opinion on a subject. In fact, not to, is a sure sign of hidebound thinking, which, in my experience, is a generally bad thing."

Oddly enough your opinion always seems to change in a way that presents FCP X as the superior option regardless of the context of the discussion. Heads FCP X wins, tails any NLE not called FCP X loses.

I know you sometimes try to present some level of impartiality for the sake of appearances but I think you would be fine just dropping the facade. Proudly let your FCP X freak flag fly, we all know you want to.

[Bill Davis] "Buy a smart editor doesn't want to unnecessarily waste time and effort doing their editing. Which is precisely why I think X will be around for a LONG time. "

I'm sure there were a lot of people that felt the same way about FCP Legend. Or Blackberry. Or Shake. Or Quark Express. Or Palm. Or Netscape. Or Apple and RISC CPUs. As you like saying, this is a time of great upheaval so being so resolute that one specific piece of tech will be around for a 'LONG' time is... interesting. Everything will change! Expect this one specific thing I really, really like which is bound to stay the same forever!

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:13:13 am

[Bill Davis] "All I'll say is that if you wait for the demand, you risk that if a demand does develop, you may be way back in a line behind thousands of editors who did not. "

I don't really believe in that. Just a little history about myself. Never went to college(so excuse my spelling), was a musician for a long time which lead to my interest in video. Got into the industry at 30 yrs old as an unpaid "intern" on a dup floor, 2 years later was full time editing at a pretty well known post house in NYC. been working 10 years strait, never a day without work. always staff or permalance. My latest client I've been working with for over 4 years with no end in sight. In fact our biggest show ever will be on Spike TV tomorrow night(6/19/2015) 9pm, If you like fights check it out. (end plug)

I feel software is just a tool, relationships is what moves this business and keeps you employed above all else. first 6 years I worked 100% on Avid, Learned FCP on the fly with the client in the room with me. He was fine with it because he wanted to work with me, and the whole show had moved to FCP. only took a few days to get back to the pace i (and the client) was use to.

Plus when you break it down, you really only need to know where those 15 to 20 key functions are on any software. It's all feel and timing, not rocket science. Most of the bells and whistles you don't need to get a nice clean cut together. Those things you figure out as you go.

We're Editors, we get paid good money to think on our feet, think fast, improvise with what we have and make it into something better than the client ever thought it could be. For me, that's the fun of it. That's why i love my job (plus the money) Any schlub can learn what buttons to press, the skill is when to press them.

Scott Cumbo
Lead Editor
Bellator MMA/Spike TV

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 18, 2015 at 5:37:26 am

Hey Scott,

I stumbled across the thread you started in the Premiere forum (https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/966492) but I'm not sure if you are monitoring it anymore so I decided to post here.

I used to work for Viacom/MTV/Spike in Santa Monica and I know they recently moved from FCP 7 to Premiere Pro. If you want I can get you the contact info for tech guys and Post Sup I still know over there and you can pick their brains about the transition.

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 19, 2015 at 3:29:37 am

Hey Andrew,
Thanks for the offer, but it's ok. I spoke to a bunch of different people, plus been using it on some side gigs. We're going in that direction, the hard part is finding that downtime to make any kind of switch.

Scott Cumbo
Lead Editor
Bellator MMA/Spike TV

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 19, 2015 at 6:09:48 am

[Scott Cumbo] "We're going in that direction, the hard part is finding that downtime to make any kind of switch."

I know what you mean. When I was working there in Santa Monica we were almost always 8-10 months behind on software upgrades. Between waiting for the initial bugs to shake out, kicking out content on a daily basis and tent pole events ever 3-4 months finding down time was never easy. It always ended up being like a 48 hour, Friday night to Sunday night marathon session for our IT guys to get all the computers upgraded.

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 19, 2015 at 1:47:52 pm

Andrew,
you ever work on any of the bellator stuff? were you with digital?

Scott Cumbo
Lead Editor
Bellator MMA/Spike TV

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:53:49 pm

[Scott Cumbo] "Andrew,
you ever work on any of the bellator stuff? were you with digital?"

I was with digital but I didn't work on any Bellator. I was there from '06 to early '12 so I left around the time Bellator was starting to spin up. Did some things for The Ultimate Fighter though. I was originally hired on as part of GameTrailers (which got sold off last summer) so most of my work centered around that site and TV show though I did end up working on a variety of things from red carpets to original web series to online show support (recaps, web promos, short fighter bios for TUF, etc.,).

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:21:07 am
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:05:36 pm

Or to quote NBC in Dallas, where I just finished six weeks of helping them get through sweeps, "Everybody here uses Adobe."

Whatever. Just trying to keep it light.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 17, 2015 at 6:25:26 am

[Paul Neumann] ""Everybody here uses Adobe."
"

what's your point? You could have done he same thing in X.

FD, just updated Pr mid-job. oops. Some interesting new audio playback, uh... issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 18, 2015 at 5:41:03 am

Yep, As we all know nobody in local market TVStationland ever makes iffy gear calls.

Hey, want to buy a hundred M2 decks really cheap?

; )

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:00:29 pm

Sorry if a NBC/Universal Owned and Operated station in the top 5 media market in the US doesn't meet your criteria for organizations that should be trusted to make a good software purchase decision. Bill, do you ever think of just how snotty you come off to people?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:36:10 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Sorry if a NBC/Universal Owned and Operated station in the top 5 media market in the US doesn't meet your criteria for organizations that should be trusted to make a good software purchase decision. Bill, do you ever think of just how snotty you come off to people?"

Well, snotty is kinda in the eye of the beholder, no?

I mean come on, some humorless knuckleheads might think that someone posting in a professional forum underneath an avatar of a human firetruck dalmatian is a form of "snotty" - but others (myself included) just think it's whimsical and perfectly fine.

In my long experience with large corporations in and out of the Media Business - (and I've made videos for quite a few and worked directly with their executive teams) the one thing you can typically count on, is that there's a tremendous layer of "risk avoidance" that colors much of their decision making.

They stick with whats' safe.

Then if something else becomes as safe, but saves them 50 basis points, they switch to that. But slowly.

So sorry, but your Texas NBC Affiliate does not impress me at all.

Yes, there are large numbers of operations that have adopted Premiere Pro in the past months, looking for FCP 8.And there will be others. It satisfies their need to change, but not too much. Why take the risk?
It's the same thinking that has caused so many local stations (even in large ADIs) to mothball their Master Control operations and just run their local stations with a network feed and a local sales team.

If that's the model you're content to stake your career on, good luck.

Hope those stations are still profitable and hiring editors in 10 years. At least editors who need station infrastructures, rather than freelance guys in cars who can shoot local news, edit it, and feed it directly to Atlanta for feed back to their local market.

Time will tell.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:49:48 pm

You know man, I try to look forward to what you bring to the conversation here, but you just don't seem to ever want to return the favor.

So that's my daughter there dressed as a cow (get it?) for a school play.

Everything I edited went through Atlanta before it went to air.

I edit with FCPX too. You brought up NBC and I thought I'd add to the conversation. Knowing how to use FCPX did not get me the job there. Knowing PPro did.

I use FCPX on some things that I'm wholly on my own, but I have never had anyone offer me a job using it. I've done jobs with it. Never hired by anyone to use it at their place. Using it today.

So much for keeping it light. Whatever.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 21, 2015 at 2:48:22 am

Sorry, saw the avatar next to your name and presumed as with most here it was there to represent you. You know, because the image is next to your name. Anyway, she's cute.

And it seems jobs in X are popping up regrlarly. Just not as much in the U.S. as globally.

That pesky globalization of opportunity and all. Go figure.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Jun 21, 2015 at 3:02:03 am

[Bill Davis] "And it seems jobs in X are popping up regrlarly. Just not as much in the U.S. as globally.

That pesky globalization of opportunity and all. Go figure."

Well it gets used everywhere but as far as advertised jobs go is there anywhere where its the program most requested? Can we find a page of classified ads where there are more companies asking for editors with FCX skills than Premiere and AVID?

Just going through classifieds ads here in Australia. Found about 30 video editing job ads. Half of those didn't specify the tools. The other half demanded Premiere. No FCX. But no AVID either which I found interesting. At least in this part of the world the battle for the program the jobbing editor needs to learn has been run and won I'd say.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 19, 2015 at 1:45:54 am
Last Edited By Neil Goodman on Jun 19, 2015 at 1:54:45 am

Bill, that's the model a lot of us stake our career on and it works out quite well for the most part.

I think you forget hundreds of thousands of editors don't get to choose what they cut on.

For me, my most lucrative years of editing have been in T.V., and if that means someone else gets to pick what I cut on, and outfit my room the way they see fit, then so be it. Have at it. My career stays intact, I get to work on fulfilling and creative projects, and I'm able to carve out a nice life for myself with this model. You went another route and that's great for you.

So far I've never been disappointed with the hardware/software I'm given to work on.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:28:00 pm

I suspect that once again you're overstating the importance of the your niche in editing. It's easy to do. In the US it's under 25,000 according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes274032.htm) yes maybe a couple of hundred thousand world wide. So with X at a Million seats plus - and with AVID and Premiere and the rest figured in - its no wonder our industural development is so frustrating. I'm still pleased that at least a few companies are still trying to improve it. FWIW.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:49:02 pm

[Bill Davis] "But if you choose NOT to add FCP X into that mix for whatever reason - that's a choice that will have ramifications I believe. Of course I may be wrong. And so may you. We won't know for years. "

Except that by Apple's usual timetable, you have about 6 more years for that to be true or not.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:22:01 pm

Did they mention if they were using pirated copies?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:28:28 pm
Last Edited By Eric Santiago on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:39:30 pm

Im Asian but not Chinese so can I chime in :)

For me its just been a major PITA working with FCPX, Premiere and Resolve.

I really had to remove the one that wasting all my time and sorry to say its Premiere.

With my current workflow of prepping R3Ds and Audio Sync for rough edit, Premier did not (pardon the pun) cut it.

Im sure Ill get flamed for my comments but Id rather step in and give my 3 cents (Canadian here) that most of us just wants things to work.

So until I figure out why the R3Ds from a full feature shoot (1100+ clips) cant sync via audio in Premiere but smoothly in FCPX, I will be forced to stick up for the one that does work.

Also, why cant I just import a freakin R3D via folders in Premiere without pulling my hair? That Media Browser is poop to me.

I guess I just got so used to AMA Bins/Event Browser.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 18, 2015 at 7:21:23 pm

ERic, I'm assuming you're on CC but correct me if I'm wrong.

There shouldn't be any problem syncing if your audio files have matching timecode. Pr does that in a snap.

If you're trying to sync using only audio waveforms it would need properly selected tracks with clearly defined signals to find the matches. But it typically works well.

It's a longstanding problem about importing some Red folders. Clips with multiple 4GB segments are created created correctly but with duplicates. The Media Browser imports folders with single segments without problem.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 21, 2015 at 5:23:37 pm

[David Cherniack] "If you're trying to sync using only audio waveforms it would need properly selected tracks with clearly defined signals to find the matches. But it typically works well.

It's a longstanding problem about importing some Red folders. Clips with multiple 4GB segments are created created correctly but with duplicates. The Media Browser imports folders with single segments without problem.
"

The R3Ds have one channel and the WAVs from Sound Devices had 4 to work with.
Tried all options.
PluralEyes had issues too but I think more so with RED files.
Okay well as far as the Media Browser I have to go with what the norm is.
If Avid and FCPX can handle the files why cant Adobe? I mean sure I can import it all in AE then do DL but thats just silly now.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 19, 2015 at 9:26:18 pm

On the feature I'm finishing up right now that was cut in X there is a Spanish and an english version cut by two different editors.

It was required by the producer that they cut in FCP X. The english version editor has been cutting movies since the film days, the other is one of the most respected editors in Mexico. The 30 year vet was cursing at the computer for about a month until she realized she had the hang of it.

Now she is on a TV show back on Avid, she texted me "I thought I would never say this but I really miss working in FCP X" The Spanish version editor told me he isn't looking back and is going to cut in FCP X from now on.

I can say that by cutting in this saved the production a lot of time and extra steps. The color facility tried to charge a lot of money for two conforms, I told them I had done them already, many condescending were said by them until I sent them a screengrab of a fully conformed reel in Resolve complete with a reference quicktime.

Once producers find out the time and money advantages, it will start to take off.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 21, 2015 at 6:17:24 am

Hey Darren,

Can you drop me an e-mail, I would like to know more about your experiences with this project: ronnycourtens@mac.com

- Ronny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]