FORUMS: list search recent posts

5k Retina Imac purchase now?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
5k Retina Imac purchase now?
on Jun 11, 2015 at 11:55:42 pm

I just ordered a new 27 3.4 iMac and I'm wondering where I am on the upgrade cycle and whether or not its a good jump in performance from my 2011 thunderbolt. I cut with all the major NLE's. Lots of FCPX. I'd hate to hear there was a significant refresh in the next month or two. Has anyone upgraded from their 2011? Are you happy with it?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: 5k Retina Imac purchase now?
on Jun 12, 2015 at 1:56:41 am

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

thunderbolt 3 is on its way. If you need it, it's a good time to buy. If you didn't need it, something better is around the corner. A new iMac should play real nice with FCP X.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jun 12, 2015 at 3:29:57 am

Would I see a big jump in performance vs a 2011 imac? I found premier to be a dog on itit.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 13, 2015 at 7:59:17 pm

I think the next big jump in performance is when a new Intel chip comes out. The 5K iMac is a new refresh though and the screen is worth the cost of admission. Add a thunderbolt raid and you should be a happy camper. I wish the CPUs could be swapped out and the entire computer would be swappable modular components. Computers have become a huge environmental problem.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jun 14, 2015 at 8:19:22 am

Because of the constant product improvement cycles It's always difficult deciding when to buy a Mac and I've been waiting for a major upgrade for the 5K iMac since it was launched last year.

This hasn't happened but the latest topped out version has a slightly faster processor, 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz and a fresh AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5 graphics card and the price has gone . . . wait for it . . . . down!

So now might be good time to buy and a good time to sell my late 2012 3.4 Ghz Core i7 27"iMac, with 6 months to run on the warranty.

My concern is whether it will be able to cope with a partial 4K workload which i'm slowly starting to incorporate into my production cycle.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2015 at 4:42:57 pm

Just got my first 4K cam and have zip experience. Those specs look good from what I have read but 4K has been around now and heavily used by some on the cow. From what I've read a lot depends on the size of your 4k use and how you're bringing the footage into the mac. Different flavors of 4K. Would love to know the answer to this. looking forward...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]