Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: OT: Interesting podcast from a former Avid product designer
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:52:40 pm

Holy smokes was that ever illuminating!
Which part of your customer base are you most willing to drive crazy.
Cuz you will regardless of what you decide.
Nice link, Scott. Thanks.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2015 at 7:59:33 pm

Very cool. Not often we hear such candid (and entertaining) stories about what goes on behind the scenes. The story about Avid/FCP demo and the offhand comment about Premiere (well, it existed...) were a couple of my favorite moments.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:13:24 pm

I told Doug he needed to make up a T-shirt for NAB:

“Give me the head of Doug Hansel!” … Steve Jobs

;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:22:37 pm

Are all this people live in a parallel Universe? In almost twenty years I'm yet to see an editor cutting in Media Composer who isn't desperately clutching the mouse in his hand at all times. Where this b/s about MC being keyboard NLE came from?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:26:25 pm

My last beta-tester cycle for Avid was during the intro of the "Smart" tool. I think he actually downplayed that part of the podcast. The reaction was, well, not good!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:32:16 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "My last beta-tester cycle for Avid was during the intro of the "Smart" tool."

Smart Tool was Avid's attempt to add FCP-style contextual timeline editing. Unfortunately the first version wasn't as well-implemented.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:30:29 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "In almost twenty years I'm yet to see an editor cutting in Media Composer who isn't desperately clutching the mouse in his hand at all times"

Not in my experience. Mostly a combination of both, if anything. Then if you go back to MUI or the flatbed-style controller, some people worked with those. Since you initially had no contextual timeline editing functions nor drag & drop editing, like in FCP, MC editors used keyboard shortcuts more so than young editors using FCP or Premiere.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:35:16 pm

Well, in my universe two-thirds of things an editor does while cutting are not assigned any shortcuts by default in MC and a half of them is not assignable at all.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:38:43 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "Well, in my universe two-thirds of things an editor does while cutting are not assigned any shortcuts by default in MC and a half of them is not assignable at a"

Such as? The selection of clips within bins or navigating between bins seems about the main thing. Naturally things like effects parameters and so on are going to be house-based. What else? Just curious.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:57:48 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Such as? The selection of clips within bins or navigating between bins seems about the main thing."

That alone breaks the flow so much it's painful. Sorry, I don't remember the list of missing stuff by heart. What I remember is that every time I have to use MC I feel its designers played a cruel jock on me. Next Cut/Previous Cut without activating trim is not assigned by default. Why?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:09:13 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "That alone breaks the flow so much it's painful."

It's the same as with FCP legacy or Premiere Pro.

[Michael Aranyshev] "Next Cut/Previous Cut without activating trim is not assigned by default."

A and S are mapped as previous and next and it puts you in the trim mode. That's in 8.3.1. That's the way it originally was and has been for a long time. Avid Xpress did it without trim and in some modes on MC a few years ago might have done that. However, it was mappable. From an original design concept, the reason to advance to the next cut was mainly to go into the trim mode. It's fewer keystrokes that way.

The correct keys if you don't want trim are forward or rewind, which advance you according to head or tail frames without throwing you into the trim mode. It's irrelevant what the default is if you can change the keyboard to your liking. I thought the question is whether or not there's a keystroke for it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:20:44 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It's the same as with FCP legacy or Premiere Pro"

First, it is not the same in Legacy. Legacy lets you type the first few characters of the clip name and it will select that clip.It lets you expand and collapse the bins from keyboard. It lets you shuffle through the tabs from the keyboard. Second, it is irrelevant. The claim is MC scares away kids because it is shortcut-driven. This claim is false.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:26:39 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "The claim is MC scares away kids because it is shortcut-driven. This claim is false."

I think you're taking a comment far too literally. MC is less of a drag-and-drop editor than the others. New users default to a drag-and-drop working style. Therefore they don't necessarily gravitate toward MC as a first choice. I think that's the gist of what was said.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:37:01 pm

I guess you're right. I'd prefer it was because people felt MC looked ugly and ugly birds don't fly well but it's probably drag-n-drop.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:38:10 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] " I'd prefer it was because people felt MC looked ugly and ugly birds don't fly well"

LOL

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 11, 2015 at 2:57:19 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "[Oliver Peters] "Such as? The selection of clips within bins or navigating between bins seems about the main thing."

That alone breaks the flow so much it's painful. Sorry, I don't remember the list of missing stuff by heart. What I remember is that every time I have to use MC I feel its designers played a cruel jock on me. Next Cut/Previous Cut without activating trim is not assigned by default. Why?
"

You can map next edit/previous edit to the up and down keys just like it works in FCP7 w/o having to enter trim mode at all. Takes 1 sec to setup.

I use all the NLE's pretty much regularly - and I use the mouse less in MC than the other 2. FWIW

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:19:47 pm

"I use all the NLE's pretty much regularly - and I use the mouse less in MC than the other 2."

When I first started using Legacy years ago my reaction was how much more mouse use I engaged in. Not that it was necessarily required, but rather it somehow felt more intuitive on that program. When I went back to MC on some jobs, I found myself using the mouse more than I had. Over the years, I feel that my wrists and fingers have suffered for it. That's one of the reasons I really like aspects of X, like skimming. On the negative side though, I find it very easy to blow by footage too quickly with skimming, so each tool takes some adapting to get the best out of it.

Shifting into old fart mode - the "right" ballistics for me were DigiBetas being shuttled with the BVE9000 jog/shuttle controller. That's something Sony really nailed.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 11, 2015 at 10:22:01 pm

It's not abut "more" and "less" It is about reaching for the mouse two or three times a day vs. constantly holding onto it. Alright, forget about it. Parallel universe.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 11, 2015 at 11:54:29 pm

but what about the podcast?

;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jun 12, 2015 at 5:08:18 pm

Very informative and it will actually change my behavior about HOW I ask Avid for changes/updates.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 12, 2015 at 8:45:45 pm

Indeed. Tell them you work for a large broadcast install. That seems to get their attention!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jun 12, 2015 at 10:23:41 pm

Other interesting perspectives:

Starting points - nothing is more than 2 min.
13:32, 23:30, 25:50, 33:05, 36:08, 37:20

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]