FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X - Resolve - RED stupidity

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FCP X - Resolve - RED stupidity
on Jun 6, 2015 at 1:23:55 am

I originally cut an indie feature with 1080p down-converted/transcoded proxies from RED 4K files. The media was generated in Redcine-X Pro, so FCP X always only saw the proxies. I cut it in 10.0.9 and exported an FCPXML (old version). Then for the grade, last week I imported those FCPXMLs into 10.1.4 (at a film school's facility) and relinked all the proxies in FCP X. I made a few tweaks and stripped off all audio. Then I exported a new FCPXML for this version.

In Resolve 11, I imported the new FCPXMLs and relinked to the RED files. Everything has worked perfectly in Resolve. I’ve been exporting a single file of each reel as 1080p ProRes. Perfect. When I bring this ProRes export into FCP X, it is perfectly happy with the file.

But there are a few places where I need to do the final conform of that section in FCP X, due to the transition effects I used. So for one section, I rendered it using the FCP roundtrip easy set-up in Resolve. That is, individual clips with handles at the timeline resolution (1080p).

I import the Resolve-generated FCPXML into 10.1.4 and everything came in fine, except that it thinks all the rendered source clips are 4K. Evidently the timeline master clip metadata is for the 4K RED file, but it’s linked to the 1080p media files rendered out from Resolve. So the whole timeline has a render bar. If I set spatial conform to “none”, the render bar goes away and it blows up the shot to 4K (which it isn't). This bug has been there between Resolve and FCP X for at least a couple of years.

I took the rendered/exported clips and the FCPXML home and imported these into my system running 10.2.1. There, it still sees these files as 4K. In addition, it won’t relink the media at all, because it says “incompatible format”. Apparently it’s looking for audio channels in the RED media, even though this audio was supposedly stripped out of my sequence. Maybe if I re-export from Resolve and make sure it also exports audio, then that might work.

Is it an FCP X or a Resolve problem? Don't know. Don't care. Apple, please fix this stuff, because it most likely boils down to the structure of FCPXML files. Whatever the reason, I SHOULD be able to relink the media by overriding the "incompatible format" prompt!

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: FCP X - Resolve - RED stupidity
on Jun 6, 2015 at 8:26:04 am

[Oliver Peters] "Whatever the reason, I SHOULD be able to relink the media by overriding the "incompatible format" prompt!
"

It is very frustrating that you can't, I've had it happen a number of times

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 6, 2015 at 5:52:31 pm

I find the most frustrating thing about FCPX is it rejecting footage as not compatible especially when it's the exact footage that was in the cut!?! It really should take ANY footage I choose not matter what the framerate, size, audio config who cares it should be my choice!

As far as the round-tripping thing, I hate round--tripping of any kind and am currently cutting a RED feature shot 4K on 2 Dragons at 7:1 in real-time natively in FCPX. No proxies! It's fantastic! Though I will say it's even faster in Premiere CC on the same machine though the 5 tracks of audio make it a pain to cut in anything but FCPX which handles multi-track audio in a smart way.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 6, 2015 at 7:55:32 pm

"It really should take ANY footage I choose not matter what the framerate, size, audio config who cares it should be my choice!"

Be nice. But wouldn't that also require Apple to license every single possible codec in the wild? Seems to me this is a classic IP issue. People want to be able to shoot any camera and any codec they want, and have Apple solve all the resulting IP conflicts for them, but that's just not how it works. If Red changes something is it Apples job to alter FCPXML to conform?

Everyone dings Apple for not making perfectly compatible FCPFML (irrespective of the fact that X has unique magnetic scaffolds that don't directly have analogs on other programs) and wonders why the gears don't always mesh perfectly.

I'm kinda surprised it works as well as it does! I do feel for those who have to straddle camps. It's a hassle for sure.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 8:39:20 pm

[Bill Davis] ""It really should take ANY footage I choose not matter what the framerate, size, audio config who cares it should be my choice!"

Be nice. But wouldn't that also require Apple to license every single possible codec in the wild? Seems to me this is a classic IP issue."

I think you are adding an extra interpretation to Lance's comment that may or may not be there. I think he's simply asking for the same capability that FCP 7 used to have and that Resolve, Smoke and Premiere Pro have today. In my case - the X to Resolve to X roundtrip - I find it unjustifiable that FCP X cannot relink to a list that it originated and based on a media configuration that it in fact generated. That's a pretty big hole in the functionality of FCPXML. It largely means you can go out from X, but you may not get back in.

FCP 7's relinking was far more versatile, but it came at a price of sometimes causing media management issues in the hands of inexperienced users. To button down the media management issues, Apple decided to copy how Avid has handled media management by running a tight database to connect the edit events with the media. This is further coupled with OSX's very obscure method of symlinks and hard links - all in an effort to lock down the media. Unfortunately it's still not as bullet-proof at what Avid does. I frequently run into issues when moving media and Libraries around among computers via sneakernet, where media paths are tied to the other computer, thus making relinking manual again. That almost never happens in the Avid world.

However, all of this lockdown can create problems - namely that it's often impossible to cheat the system and it's often harder than it needs to be to move productions among several systems. The prime example is the needs of a finishing system, which by definition must cheat the system. This is an area where Resolve excels. Give it matching TC and reel/source ID and you can link nearly anything. When it finds duplicate options, it flags you and shows the possible matches to pick from. Even when the correct option is something completely different, if you can find the right file in your media pool, you can relink.

Right now, it seems like FCP X works best as a self-contained application or one that you use for offline and then move out of.

[Bill Davis] "I'm kinda surprised it works as well as it does!"

Isn't that damning with faint praise? ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:22:53 pm

I don't know, Oliver.

My experience with export and import between databases has been limited to Excel and FileMaker Pro, but my experience with FMPro is that if you specify a sort order and then export the data, the receiving database has to know how to keep the fields straight, or re-exporting back in the opposite direction can easily get hosed.

It seems to me that 's a pretty close description to what you're experiencing.

So is it Apples mess up or BlackMagics? - or neither? But just two different systems with different file handling needs?

Beyond my pay grade.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:35:37 pm

[Bill Davis] "It seems to me that 's a pretty close description to what you're experiencing."

I get that and I agree that it may be what is happening. However, if that's so, then it's stupid to even have a roundtrip that is anything other than 1 direction. The return trip will always have different parameters.

[Bill Davis] "So is it Apples mess up or BlackMagics? - or neither? But just two different systems with different file handling needs?"

I don't know. I blame both. The Resolve FCPXML clearly retains some of the FCP X info that was sent to it, because it brings back the same transitions. In other words, the transitions I used in the offline edit (light noise) show up as standard dissolves in Resolve. Yet, when the new FCPXML is opened in FCP X again, it shows the light noise transitions again. Obviously this info is being passed and not stripped out. So it seems like not all of the info that should be stripped out or updated is being done.

But I also blame Apple for using an exchange format that is so clearly non-standard and so poorly understood by nearly every third-party vendor. They understand it enough to read it, but clearly not enough to write it correctly or use it for exchange.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 8:43:08 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Though I will say it's even faster in Premiere CC on the same machine though the 5 tracks of audio make it a pain to cut in anything but FCPX which handles multi-track audio in a smart way.
"

True about the performance issue. Regarding the tracks, Avid actually has a very nice solution to that, when you assume that audio post will go to ProTools. There, when you sync double-system sound in MC, you can choose to only use 1 of the tracks, like your composite mix. If you need to pull an iso mic, simply match-frame to the wav and then cut in that channel. Then in ProTools the mixer can pull in the wavs and use all of the tracks. Therefore, you get the best of both worlds.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Jun 7, 2015 at 8:42:18 am

If you export from AVID to AAF. it works with most audiostudio's: protools, Nuendo... I work with sound editor on a variety of systems.

Then there's X2Pro to solve the audio export, making an AAF. But there you are, obiously you need third party software to make FCPX work the way other NLE's work.

Still, and fcpxml should do the trick when it comes down to Resolve. Maybe you should check out the workflow book they did on the feature film 'Focus'. You can get it from iBooks. They tell you how they did it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 1:05:55 pm

[Mike Warmels] "Still, and fcpxml should do the trick when it comes down to Resolve. Maybe you should check out the workflow book they did on the feature film 'Focus'."

I've read the book and have had various discussions with Mike, Sam, Philip, Knut and others. I'm pretty comfortable with the FCP X and/or Avid workflow using Resolve, since I work as both an editor and a colorist. FCPXML is a moving target that still has a lot of flaws. Most of these occur when other parties try to write the correct format to go back into FCP X. Resolve included. That's why most top-end grading house still prefer (and often will only accept) EDLs.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Jun 7, 2015 at 1:26:47 pm

Ah, that's very interesting to hear. I run into little bumps here and there in the exchange. So far they say fcpxml is the way to go, but your experiences are a bit of a bummer.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 7, 2015 at 11:14:33 pm

[Mike Warmels] "So far they say fcpxml is the way to go, but your experiences are a bit of a bummer."

I use Resolve to grade for editors who send me xmls and AAFs from various versions of Avid, Pr, FCP7 and X. There are always minor issues. A lot can be done to improve the process if editors could supply interchange without proprietary plugins or nested, compounded clips. Currently wrestling with an older Avid multicam clips reporting as nested and needing manual relinking. Also resizing works but may not when there is a push in move via a plugin in Avid.

Also Resolve does not need sound from the edit so do a flattened stripped down version of your final sequence (or timeline or Project :). And for gods sake make an H264 quicktime with your sound mixed as a guide. I usually steal that mix for reference when grading

But to answer you question fcpxml into Resolve seems more solid than AAFs in my experience but I mostly get projects from FCP7 or Pr so AAF and fcpxml are in the minority. Remarkable how Legend is still the NLE of choice for the majority of my clients.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:04:54 am

[Michael Gissing] "But to answer you question fcpxml into Resolve seems more solid than AAFs in my experience but I mostly get projects from FCP7 or Pr so AAF and fcpxml are in the minority."

Just to be clear, FCPXML into Resolve has largely been OK for me. It's the FCPXML from Resolve back into FCP X that's been the issue this go-around.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2015 at 9:59:44 pm

How many clips aren't working, and it's only the clips that have a transition on them?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 10:14:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "How many clips aren't working, and it's only the clips that have a transition on them?"

All of them don't link. They all show up as 4K. In 10.2.1, all of them show up as incompatible format. Only a few have transitions. There over 100 clips, however I only care about the section with the transitions. For the rest of the reel, I'm simply exporting a complete, self-contained master file, since there's no reason to conform it twice.

My suspicion is that because they originally linked to the RED files, which had embedded audio (that was stripped out in the sequence), it somehow thinks the new media files that it should link to should also have audio.

Both the scale and audio issues seem like bugs to me. The scale issue in particular has been around for quite awhile with neither BMD nor Apple addressing it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2015 at 10:32:54 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Both the scale and audio issues seem like bugs to me. The scale issue in particular has been around for quite awhile with neither BMD nor Apple addressing it.
"

There are some weird scale things. It seems to be a bug in fcpx itself because if you read the XML the frame size is usually correct.

I guess I'm a bit confused with your workflow though. You're saying the XML from Resolve doesn't link to the Resolve rendered files, or you are trying to link new files to your existing sequence in fcpx?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:04:16 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I guess I'm a bit confused with your workflow though. You're saying the XML from Resolve doesn't link to the Resolve rendered files, or you are trying to link new files to your existing sequence in fcpx?"

I exported an FCPXML from Resolve along with corresponding ProRes clips using the FCP roundtrip easy set-up. On that system with FCP 10.1.4, I am able to relink to these rendered files. BUT, this system also has the RED files on the same drive array. I verified that it was in fact linking to the ProRes files.

When I take the exported ProRes files and the FCPXML to a different system with 10.2.1, it cannot relink to the ProRes files. It shows the "incompatible format" error message, stating that something doesn't match and specifies audio channels. This system DOES NOT have the RED files connected.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:08:41 pm

Can't you update the linked 10.1.4 library to 10.2.1?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:15:06 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Can't you update the linked 10.1.4 library to 10.2.1?"

No, that machine is on Mavericks. You can't update to 10.2.1 without going to Yosemite and that's not an option right now. However, what difference would that make? I don't have a problem with 10.1.4. I only brought it into 10.2.1 on a different system to see if 10.2.1 still had the scaling issues. Just to troubleshoot. It does.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2015 at 3:35:06 am

[Oliver Peters] "However, what difference would that make?"

Ill admit that I'm having a bit of trouble following exactly what is working and what isn't.

I thought you said everything in 10.1.4 linked, and when you took the media and FCPXML to 10.2.1, it didn't.

So I was wondering why, instead if importing the busted FCPXML in to 10.2.1, simply update the good 10.1.4 library in 10.2.1.

But, I digress.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:58:44 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jun 7, 2015 at 1:13:32 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Ill admit that I'm having a bit of trouble following exactly what is working and what isn't. "

The final production has to end up on the machine with 10.1.4. The only reason I involved the 10.2.1 machine was to test the scaling issue in the FCPXML from Resolve. That's when I discovered the second issue. So there are really two different problems.

I'll work up a workflow blog post next week on my site that will be clear, now that I understand what's working and what isn't.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:12:22 pm

To clarify, when I try to import the FCPXML into 10.2.1 I get "out of frame boundary" errors for all clips. Well DUH! That's what this whole process is about. Of course, the durations won't match.

When I try to relink specific clips, then I get the audio channel message - original file had audio, new file has no audio.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:14:05 pm

If you import that same XML to Resolve what happens?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:27:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you import that same XML to Resolve what happens?"

I tried two imports into software on my system at home - again no RED files, only the rendered ProRes clips.

Converted FCP 7 XML (using Xto7) to import into PProCC 2014. No luck on importing the XML - "general error".

Resolve 11 - no issues whatsoever. Imports and relinks just fine.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2015 at 11:51:40 pm

For grins, I just tried importing the converted XML into FCP 7. Although there are a few quirks in the sequence, it does import and I can relink to the media files. Requires the "continue anyway" override command, as expected. Sort of reinforces my original comment about needing better relinking control.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:07:00 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:11:23 am

One more data point. I imported the FCPXML into Resolve. It links correctly to the rendered files. From this timeline I exported a new FCPXML (no new renders). This new FCPXML imported fine into FCP X without issues and correctly linked to the media files. Plus it retained the original light noise transitions.

It also didn't have the scaling issues. This would imply that a second pass through Resolve would potentially fix the problem by "washing" the FCPXML.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:39:00 am

[Oliver Peters] "One more data point. I imported the FCPXML into Resolve. It links correctly to the rendered files. From this timeline I exported a new FCPXML (no new renders). This new FCPXML imported fine into FCP X without issues and correctly linked to the media files. Plus it retained the original light noise transitions.
"

That's what I was going for.

If the other (translated) XML is also causing issues in Pr CC, it seems like that original FCPXML may be a little "iffy".

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 1:08:05 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "If the other (translated) XML is also causing issues in Pr CC, it seems like that original FCPXML may be a little "iffy"."

Well, the "roundtripped" FCPXML written by Resolve the first time. The second-generation Resolve FCPXML would now be linked to these ProRes media files, so any attributes related to the media files would be pulled from these clips. In the case of the FCPXML that Resolve first exported, its media attributes would be based on the 4K RED source files (with embedded audio channels).

IOW, it appears that when Resolve uses the usual FCPXML roundtrip set-up to export media with a list, it doesn't generate an FCPXML with the attributes that match the files that it is creating. This would tend to mean that BMD is at fault for not writing a proper FCPXML. It's simply passing through the same FCPXML that it received without properly updating it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2015 at 2:19:18 pm

[Oliver Peters] "To clarify, when I try to import the FCPXML into 10.2.1 I get "out of frame boundary" errors for all clips. Well DUH! That's what this whole process is about. Of course, the durations won't match.
"

Obviously the problem is solved, but I think this points to the issue.

An out of frame boundary does not indicate a blown duration, it's about not having the specified frames of media that the XML is (wrongly) pointing to.

It's as if your rendered clips had tc of 14:00:00:00 - 14:00:10:00 and the XML is pointing to 01:00:00:00 - 01:00:10:00. It's not that the 10 seconds doesn't reconnect, it's that the time specified in the XML doesn't exist inside the file you're pointing to. It's literally out of bounds.

I'd look at your busted FCPXML and the new and good FCPXML and compare the start times to a few of the clips. My guess is that you'll find the discrepancy.

Did you do the grade is Resolve or are you just using it to conform?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 4:40:29 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Did you do the grade is Resolve or are you just using it to conform?"

Both.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:46:03 am

[Oliver Peters] "[Jeremy Garchow] "Did you do the grade is Resolve or are you just using it to conform?"

Both."

Cool.

So you started in RCX.

'Proxied' to 1080p ProRes.

Imported those ProRes movies from the Finder (and not XML) to fcpx 10.0.9 and then did the Edit.

Sent to Resolve by FCPXML.

Relinked to R3D.

Grade and render (via "round trip"?) to 1080p ProRes from 4k RAW.

At this point, FCPXML sent back to fcpx 10.1.4 is flawed.

Opened said XML in 10.2.1 and it's still flawed.

Opened said XML back in Resolve. Sweet as a Georgia peach.

Sent that 'fixed' XML back to fcpx (.1 or .2) and it works.

Is that the workflow?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 8, 2015 at 12:18:17 pm

"Is that the workflow?"

Yes, that capsulized it. One addition step, though. Resolve 11 won't take the FCPXML from 10.0.9 (too old), so I had to import that into 10.1.4 first in order to update the FCP X project. From this I exported an FCPXML to go to Resolve with the first time around.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:50:44 pm

I know you know this, but next time I would try and XML over to FCPX from RCX, or better yet, start in Resolve if you know that's where you're ending up.

I'd be curious, though, to see that busted XML and see where it went wrong.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:57:00 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd be curious, though, to see that busted XML and see where it went wrong."

E-mail me offline. Contact is on the website.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 8, 2015 at 7:45:47 pm

due to my training and software knowledge I followed all of this very clearly. carry on.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 9, 2015 at 12:27:48 am

So, I thought I had a solution, but I was wrong. Something is seriously wrong here. I ran a new test with completely separate media and machines involved. Right now, the FCPXML roundtrip back to FCP X is not working whenever the media and FCPXML is moved to a machine other than where it was originated. Try this experiment.

1. 4K RED files + ProRes transcoded edit files (1080 or 720) - everything as 23.976.
2. Edit a short sequence in FCP X (10.2.1). Strip out all audio. Export FCPXML 1.4.
3. Load the RED files into Resolve 11 and import the FCPXML. Do some color correction.
4. Deliver using the FCP Roundtrip Easy set up preset (turn off audio). Render at timeline resolution with handles as individual clips.
5. For grins, open a new Resolve project, load the rendered files and the FCPXML from Resolve.
6. Export a new FCPXML 1.4.
7. Take both FCPXML files and rendered media to a separate machine that DOES NOT connect to either the original RED or transcoded edit files.
8. Try to import either of these FCPXML files into FCPX 10.2.1 and see what happens. Can you relink?
9. Now the weird part. On this second machine, I open Resolve, relink to the render files, and generate a new FCPXML on THAT machine. This can be opened and relinked on FCP X on the same machine.

What is going on?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 9, 2015 at 3:36:58 pm

Oliver has there been any updates to your workflow issues?

I feel for you with my current FCPX > XML > Xto7 > Premiere workflow that isnt working at all for me.

Question for you (and everyone that cares), what is the best option for ProRes Export.

RCXPro or Resolve?

I also tested it the RCXPro XML into Resolve and had some issues and kinda gave up on that.

I can save that for another post.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 9, 2015 at 3:55:03 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Question for you (and everyone that cares), what is the best option for ProRes Export.
RCXPro or Resolve?"

I don't know, but I'm inclined to say that if you are using a "dailies" workflow, then start in Resolve. It all depends on the overall workflow. For example, in RED jobs, I've been very happy with the Adobe/SpeedGrade Direct Link native workflow.

There's a lot of merit to cutting in FCP X for offline, with native RED media and transcoded proxies. Or with externally transcoded proxies. When you are done in X, strip out all effects (except for resizing), especially compounds and speed changes. Send to Resolve to grade. Then render trimmed clips and export an AAF to bring into Premiere for finishing. Rebuild all your effects there. As a "finishing" tool, I much prefer Premiere, but Resolve 12 will be interesting.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 9, 2015 at 5:03:41 pm

Thanks for me RCXPro is very helpful with the TC sync option and the ability to create overlays as well as export with the specific crop (if requested) for dailies.

I know most of that can be done in Resolve (except for the overlays).

I was hoping an benefit in XML use as far as using any of the above at the ProRes stage.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 9, 2015 at 5:02:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "8. Try to import either of these FCPXML files into FCPX 10.2.1 and see what happens. Can you relink?"

I can't. I get weird errors. If I relink (or import) on the original machine and then send that Library over to another machine with a duplicate set of media (but not connected to the original media location) that also relinks.

More investigation needed but it seems like the XML from Resolve may be weird.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 9, 2015 at 9:06:08 pm

With Oliver's help, we seemed to have figured this out.

I am not an expert, but it looks like Resolve is writing incomplete FCPXMLs as they are missing a few formatting parameters in the asset list. Translating the 'bad' FCPXML to FCP7 XML also through PrCC for a loop.

If the work is done all on one machine (roundtrip to Resolve and back to X), these parameters are seemingly unnecessary as everything works.

As soon as you transfer the graded clips along with an XML of the graded timeline, FCPX cannot connect to the media due to, what appears to be, a bad FCPXML.

It's very strange and buggy, but we were able to fix the "bad" FCPXML and make it "good" so that FCPXML was getting the correct information from it.

If you need to send a Resolve generated FCPXML and graded clips to another FCPX user, be sure to import the FCPXML in to FCPX first on the machine it was graded ion, and then export that FCPXML from there (or send a library).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:20:31 am

Well this is new to me.

I exported an XML from RCXPro.

Imported into Resolve and got nothing since I forgot to place R3Ds on a timeline.

So I added the complete R3D/WAV (day 1) folder into Media Pool the timeline.

Used the TC connect option prior to timeline.

Exported to FCP XML with ProRes proxies.

Just did a few clips of course.

Imported into Premiere.

The clips in the timeline are missing expect for the three ProRes proxies.

The oddity is that that specific Premiere file will not let me play a clip.

I mean spacebar/JKL/push play button period.

I take it that the Resolve sequence is basically a view only timeline.

After relinking all proxies play in source and after creating a new sequence then edit, all is good again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]