FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Final Cut & Mac Pro 1.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Stana
Apple Final Cut & Mac Pro 1.1
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:56:12 pm

Can it be done? - I have a Mac Pro 1.1 (2006) with a Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3 GHz processor, 16 Gigs of Ram and standard apple issue graphics card. I would like to confirm that a Radeon HD 4870 graphics card with Open CL will work in my machine to run the new Final Cut X. I would just like to get some more life out of my old Mac Pro 1.1. for some basic video editing.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
Re: Apple Final Cut & Mac Pro 1.1
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:12:54 pm

Hey David,

We have been discussing graphics cards over here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/7571

Maybe someone will have some answers over there.

Return to posts index

David Stana
on Jul 2, 2011 at 12:30:26 am

THANKS! - Everything I have read for the 1996 Mac Pro 1.1 is stating using 5770 card and not the 4870 as stated here. I'm not sure of the difference but understand I need a Open CL style card for running Final Cut 10. Your comments and direction is most helpful - anyone running 10 yet on this combination?

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:26:53 pm

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4664

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:25:21 pm

You can always easily upgrade the graphics card...I wonder how well that CPU would hold up though.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:26:19 pm

I'm running FCPX on a 2ghz Mac Pro 1,1. It won't install from the app store but I just copied it over from another Mac. It works well. It's certainly more useable than FCPX on my two year old MacBook Pro.

Jeff Kirkland | Southern Creative Media
video * audio * post * production
Melbourne, Australia

Return to posts index

David Stana
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:15:24 pm

Thanks! - Did you have to change out the graphics card?
David

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:45:14 pm

[Jeff Kirkland]It's certainly more useable than FCPX on my two year old MacBook Pro.

So your MacBook Pro is, what, the Core 2 Duo version? That's pretty sad that your old Mac Pro is more usable. Could you add more ram to the laptop, maybe?

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:27:28 pm

David The 4870 works great in that macpro. I know thats the one I have. But I have since (about a month ago) I switch out the the 5870 and I will tell you going from the X1900 to the 4870 was a jump up. But when I went to the 5870 with the 1GB of video ram, it really screams. Motion runs really smooth with multiple particle emitters and effects. FCPX is also running really snappy. Although I find the constant background rendering a speed suck, So I have my turned off but its really freaking fast. Hope that info helps.

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

Tim Webb
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:23:35 am

I've got a MacPro 1,1 dual 2.66 with only 5GB's RAM and upgraded to the 5770 a few months ago - great card, works well with FCP 10.

Return to posts index

David Stana
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:30:34 am

Thank You - Great news - Do you know if the card is still sold new or do I need to buy from E-bay? ... and I asuming you got the MAC version?

Return to posts index

Tim Webb
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:35:03 am

yep you can still grab it. Here's the US store link:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTg2OTU0Nz...

The official specs say it's not compatible, but I assure you it is and works well. The installation instructions are slightly different but the card goes in pretty easily (make sure you place it in the bottom PCIe slot). The fiddliest part was getting included power adapter attached to the logic board (tight spaces). if you have two monitors, make sure you order the mini-display > DVI adapter as this card only has one DVI port (+2 mini-display ports).

Don't do what I did and put the standard nVidia card (mine was the 7300GT) into the machine at the same time as it seriously bottlenecks FCPX and I couldn't even edit plain old DV without having it set to proxy playback mode, and even then transitions/very simple titles wouldn't playback real-time un-rendered. With the 7300GT removed, my machine absolutely flew when I was playing around with some 1080p media last night.

All the best!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]