FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Videos in Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rolando Martinez
Music Videos in Final Cut Pro X
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:42:57 pm

I mostly do hip hop music videos, so I do an extreme amount of syncing with the music. Every time i want to go back and add/subtract a clip, the clips that i already have "timed" to the music moves and throws off the entire music video. is there a way to "lock" a clip to the timeline and not to a gap or another clip?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Music Videos in Final Cut Pro X
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:50:06 pm

[Rolando Martinez] "is there a way to "lock" a clip to the timeline and not to a gap or another clip?"

No, there is no other behaviour available. You are better off cutting a music promo by connecting your shots (Q) to the primary storyline so they sit above it rather than putting them on the primary storyline where any changes you make will ripple the edit - the last thing you want to happen ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:04:44 pm

I meant to add that you're best off editing the music into the primary storyline (rather than connecting it to it) so that it makes the spine for everything else.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:04:56 pm

Looks its me - the ranting banshee of a thousand ranting posts. But simon, isn't that kind of surprising? that the default, the main, primary storyline location for edited video is completely inappropriate for edits timed to music?

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:17:41 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "But simon, isn't that kind of surprising? that the default, the main, primary storyline location for edited video is completely inappropriate for edits timed to music?"

Leave me alone - I was just trying to help the guy out! I didn't say it wasn't an a**e-about-face way to work.

;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:23:49 pm

hahahaha. fair ball. man, I am *such* a gripey sod about this whole thing. I think I need to see a therapist about my bruised emotional relationship with apple or something, punch a cushion of the logo.. ohhh dear.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:48:07 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I am *such* a gripey sod about this whole thing"

You may be a gripey sod but you're about as funny and eloquent as it's possible for a gripey sod to get. Keep up the entertainment. I'll be sorry when all this has died down (what "never", I hear you say?) and we won't be able to read your purple prose every minute of every day ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:59:27 pm

ah purple prose, is there any other kind?

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:47:23 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Looks its me - the ranting banshee of a thousand ranting posts. But simon, isn't that kind of surprising? that the default, the main, primary storyline location for edited video is completely inappropriate for edits timed to music?"

This is your track-oriented brain talking. Simon's suggested approach of putting the music in the primary storyline isn't some crazy workaround; it actually makes sense conceptually for a music video, once you wrap your head around the storyline concept. And it's not an accident that the program lets you do this.

This is actually a rather neat example of how comprehensive the new timeline paradigm is. If you'd added the automatic rippling features but kept traditional separated audio/video tracks, you'd be screwed in this situation. Apple realized this, and didn't do that. The folks claiming Apple never thought through real world editing tasks when designing this new paradigm are just hilariously wrong. The more I use FCP X, the more I realize just how meticulously the new approach has been thought out.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:58:17 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Simon's suggested approach of putting the music in the primary storyline isn't some crazy workaround"

Just been testing out my theory cutting an instant music promo and boy is it a fast way to work - and so much fun. The way that clips "get out of each other's way" means you can really play around pretty much without thinking about the editing process. Editing on the primary storyline would be so much more cumbersome and fiddly.

And no need to keep switching to the Position tool which as someone rightly pointed out is there more than anything as a transitional aid for traditionally trained editors, but somehow actually negates the logic of the magnetic timeline.

And the really great thing is you don't have to give a moment's thought to track assignments when adding material so you can stack up different options as much as you like without any worries.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:07:58 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Just been testing out my theory cutting an instant music promo and boy is it a fast way to work - and so much fun. The way that clips "get out of each other's way" means you can really play around pretty much without thinking about the editing process."

Shh. The new timeline features were designed to make the application easier for 13 year-olds and soccer moms to learn (because both groups buy so much $300 software). They're useless to professional editors. The Internet told me so.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Araby Patch
on Jul 19, 2011 at 11:38:53 pm

Hello all...

A question: putting the music in the main story line works for keeping clips locked to certain music cues, but when I'm moving the clips around, I end up with all the old spacing problems of FCP 7, but worse, I have to keep zooming in and out to close the gaps. No longer can I find the select all from the little arrow function. Kind of a step back, don't you think... or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Harald Sandø
on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:48:55 am

But Apple COULD enable a 'lock clip' feature without any problem, though. I don't see why not. It would have been handy in many cases. For instance when you want the magnetic timeline feature, but still want to 'cut to' some different music tracks at certain times.

Right now, for instance, I am cutting a promo of about 3-4 minutes for a tourist place in Sweden. I have chosen the music and the approximate length of the film, and put the music clips where I want them. But they of course get moved here and there whenever I move the clips they are connected to. I could of course move ALL the clips except the music into a separate storyline above the main story line, but that seems very cumbersome...

Actually, I don't see why fcpx couldn't incorporate some 'track behavior' that could be optional at times. Sometimes I get confused when I for instance have several clips with narrator voice together with several music clips. When I move them around the clips jump up and down and 'glue' themselves as close to the primary storyline as possible. In this case I would have liked to have a (lockable) 'track utility' where the narrator stayed at one 'track' position and the music at another. I could of course create one storyline for music and one for the narrator, but then the single clips in the storyline doesn't connect to the clips in the primary storyline...

;)

Return to posts index

Jean-François Robichaud
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:13:12 pm

Exactly, the best way to edit a music video in FCP X is to put the music in the main storyline and connect everything else to it. That defines the music as the backbone of your edit. Each connected clip is connected to a specific timing in the music.

It's probably a good idea to make a few secondary storylines (alt-G) for portions of the edit, depending on one's needs.

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:13:26 pm

Is there even a "Mark To Markers" function or a way to put markers on the sequence like there was in FCP7 and before? Mark To Markers is my bread and butter when cutting anything to music and it would be a shame if that was one more thing missing from X.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:21:21 pm

[Owen Wexler] "Is there even a "Mark To Markers" function or a way to put markers on the sequence like there was in FCP7 and before?"

Yikes, you want it to behave like a real, grown-up editing application!?

You're out of luck, sorry. Markers are about as basic as it gets in FCPX - and you can't apply markers to the timeline, only to clips.

You could apply markers to the master music clip which might help a bit but that's about it.

:-(

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:22:46 pm

In addition to Connected clips you can do an Overwrite by hitting D

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:24:47 pm

[Craig Seeman] "In addition to Connected clips you can do an Overwrite by hitting D"

I don't think this is a good idea for cutting music promos - you really don't want to have anything on the primary storyline so you don't have to think about any kind of rippling behaviour throwing you out of sync (oh the irony!). Of course you could do it if you were super-careful ...

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:56:25 pm

and that's why Connected Clips is a better way . . . yet there are people on this forum who think it is evil incarnate.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:32:45 pm

or you can make a gap clip the length of the song in the primary storyline. Connect the song underneath, and then connect the video clips above. Same difference as just putting the song in the primary timeline, except then once you have you cuts all synced and everything you can choose to drop it all down on the primary storyline for easier use of effects etc, and keeping the audio intact. Seems to work o.k. altohugh the first technique mentioned is just as good.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:42:32 pm

[Neil Goodman] " or you can make a gap clip the length of the song in the primary storyline."

You could, but it's far easier visually to see your edited clips connected to the music track itself rather than to a gap in the middle, especially when syncing actions to the waveforms.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:50:53 pm

agreed, just pointing out something thats a little more traditional regarding placement and conforming to a track like mentality.

With that said. WTF is wrong with the waveforms in FCPX? from the company that brings you FCP7 and LOGIC and STP, all with beautiful waveforms, we get this crap?

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:57:33 pm

[Neil Goodman] "WTF is wrong with the waveforms in FCPX?"

Agreed. They are a serious shocker! And they're so great in those other apps. They're pretty much as bad as Media Composer's and that's saying something!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Justin Mac
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:20:47 pm

It seems as though connected clips (attached to the audio track on the main storyline) cannot use transitions?

There must be a better way of editing to timed music

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:29:01 pm

Easy. Select the Connected Clips and make them a Storyline. Command G.

Return to posts index

Justin Mac
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:43:57 pm

Thanks Craig!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2011 at 8:56:36 pm

You're welcome.

Basically one can add "tracks" that way. You have a choice between Connected Clips and Secondary Storylines (similar to tracks). It would be good if one could set a preference setting or have a "row" selection tool to make a bunch of connected clips into a storyline though.

Return to posts index

Elena Cebrian
on Jun 4, 2013 at 10:13:38 am

I can´t find how to lock a non existing track (miss my tracks), but one way can be making the cut with the blade tool (Cmd+B) just cuts the video track, no audio track and then delete with TAB. Deleting with TAB leaves the gap in the place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]