FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt 3 will be USB-C

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Thunderbolt 3 will be USB-C
on Jun 2, 2015 at 3:10:21 pm

USB-C likely to be used across the future MacBook range as Intel integrates with Thunderbolt
http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/02/usb-c-thunderbolt-3/

An adapter will maintain compatibility with existing Thunderbolt 2 devices. Intel says that the first Thunderbolt 3 devices will begin shipping “before the end of the year.”
We’re most likely to see the existing Thunderbolt port replaced with one or two USB-C ports with Thunderbolt capability.
____
it'll be interesting to see what happens with the next MacPro updates.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Thunderbolt 3 will be USB-C
on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:44:20 pm

[Craig Seeman] "it'll be interesting to see what happens with the next MacPro updates."

I agree. 2017 can't come soon enough. ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 2, 2015 at 6:05:49 pm

They say it will support 2 4K monitors and fast transfer of data. Will it also have speed advantages for editing 4K media, less latency and faster renders?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 2, 2015 at 6:52:04 pm

SO the Thunderbolt connector will now be obsolete? So, is this like Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 changing connectors?

Lovely...all those Thunderbolt drives and docks.... This is nutty. BUT, this is how they keep making money.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 2, 2015 at 8:02:41 pm

Solutions and products built to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 specifications will work with Thunderbolt 3 via an adapter.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:33:30 pm

Andrew Kimery:
I agree. 2017 can't come soon enough. ;)

I hope this is all in jest. Hoping for a reboot of the Mac Pro in 2016. Andrew, was there a reason you said "2017" other than justifiable despair and cynicism about any reboot occurring in my lifetime?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2015 at 9:24:23 pm

[Rick Lang] "other than justifiable despair and cynicism about any reboot occurring in my lifetime?"

No, that was pretty much it. lol

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 2, 2015 at 10:38:39 pm

I still miss the likely passing of magsafe? After spending the guts of a month in a sequence of rooms with multiple laptops going 24/7 on the road -

having any of them ready to fly at the kick of a leg late at night feels a back step? Losing magsafe is a bummer. It was a very nice security. You could walk away from your laptop plugged into a wall without thinking about it. You'd miss that.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 2, 2015 at 11:43:08 pm

and in 2017, when the new Mac Pro's come out, and you now have all these USB-C products, Apple will announce Thunderbolt 4, and everyone will HAVE to shoot in 8k (or at least 6K) because everyone has 4K, and it looks like crap anyway. And at NAB 2018, Sony will show 16k with laser projectors, and your clients will say "what will it take to shoot in 16k"

This reminds me of the old days, where you HAD to have an Ampex ADO ($250,000 for you kids that don't know what I am talking about). It's a game - it's always been a game - and it's just getting worse, because things change faster. And with all this advancement, and all these new cool programs, when will real time rendering be a reality ? Probably never.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 4, 2015 at 8:48:21 pm

[Bob Zelin] "everyone has 4K, and it looks like crap anyway."

I'd only say that I'm a wee bit of a convert to it for reframing IV's and getting a workable mid/close up for free.
Bar that amen to everything else said.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 8, 2015 at 5:05:46 am

I think he's being sarcastic. Meaning that whatever is the new thing has to for sake of sales be so much better than what came before even if it's not all that significant. More resolution is good but is not the only variable. A good script is still more important than any technical improvement. Dynamic range is at least as important. And projected film with its wash of color rather than little pixels still looks if not better then more sensual. Through experimentation and years of experience, craftsmen do become masters. If you keep changing the tools no one quite masters them.

Yeah transforming works a lot better in 4K than 1080. And if you get up to 16 k or whatever, you could probably blow up the most extreme ECU and it will look vibrant. I really hope that directing doesn't become a wide shot only craft since you can always compose the CUs in post. There is still camera angle and lighting to consider. I really don't want test audiences and editors to decide how a movie should end. I think that belongs with the writer and director.

What would be a real step forward is a mike that could zoom and isolate. You know like what a lot of beginners think a shot gun can do.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 3, 2015 at 12:51:07 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Losing magsafe is a bummer. It was a very nice security."

I can't tell you how many time it's saved my laptop. Big step backward if Apple bails on it.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]