FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Apple read crash reports?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Stevens
Does Apple read crash reports?
on May 26, 2015 at 8:19:49 am

When FCPX crashes & sends a report to Apple, does anyone actually read the report & log the issues?
Or is there a better way to inform them?

Chris Stevens - Waterline Media. Marine Production Company.
FCPX,Motion,AE, Resolve

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Does Apple read crash reports?
on May 26, 2015 at 3:18:06 pm

Yes and also sending Feedback is helpful.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on May 26, 2015 at 6:58:24 pm

So how do you send feedback please?

Chris Stevens - Waterline Media. Marine Production Company.
FCPX,Motion,AE, Resolve

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 26, 2015 at 7:34:51 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on May 26, 2015 at 7:35:49 pm

I'm glad you asked, here are some suggestions:

http://www.fcpworks.com/submitting-better-fcpx-feedback-to-apple/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 26, 2015 at 7:43:28 pm

I do wish Apple responded to Issues and Feature Requests with a Case Number.
That would allow users to send supplemental information tied to crash reports.

On requests it would confirm that it's been received and serve as a reminder that a request has already been submitted so one doesn't forget and resubmit the same request again.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 26, 2015 at 9:07:30 pm

You can get that if you send directly to Applecare but then the issue takes a longer route to make it where it needs to go. If you submit additional information with a simple note in your feedback: "This is in addition to a report I submitted on X date," it will be connected.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 26, 2015 at 10:05:30 pm

[Noah Kadner] ""This is in addition to a report I submitted on X date," it will be connected."

I can't help but see that as inefficient given the number of reports they're dealing with. I personally can't remember the dates I've submitted issues.

It's not that I think a case number should obligate them to personal communications (case numbers can be automated and don't imply personal follow up) but simply for my own record so I can include the case number if I have something to add at a future point.

The same would help with feature requests because, as months go by, I can't differentiate between requests I've sent in and those I haven't yet.

The result is that, cumulatively, Apple may well be hearing the same request numerous times from the same people.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on May 27, 2015 at 12:26:36 am

[Craig Seeman] "I can't help but see that as inefficient given the number of reports they're dealing with. I personally can't remember the dates I've submitted issues."

Why should they if you can't?

With all due respect I think we collectively overestimate our own importance just because we can send something 'directly' to the source.
As you have rightly said they must look at a huge amount of feedback on a daily bases. I really don't envy the guys and girls who have to through this :-)

Adding a case number would only add to the workload and would create a lot of numbers for very little gain and I would assume the majority of bug reports are user mistakes (yep done that myself) and the rest is well minded but nevertheless very personal feature request who do not serve the 'greater good'

My philosophy is that I give as little feedback as possible, try to only submit bugs if I can reproduce them 100%, and spent my time working out how I can avoid the normal pitfalls any software has, hoping they will iron out more and more stuff over time.

Happy editing
Carsten

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 27, 2015 at 1:18:09 am

[Carsten Orlt] "Why should they if you can't?"

With a case number there's nothing to remember. I'd have the case number emailed to me so I can use in any subsequent submissions on the same issue. This is common procedure with many companies I submit issues to.

[Carsten Orlt] "
With all due respect I think "

Hmm, I think collectively we are important, probably much more so than individually. Developers certainly weigh the prioritization of both issue resolution and feature improvements, at least in part, based on the number of reports.

That's why you have those most involved with FCPX making entreaty to us to fill out the Feedback Form. It's only in numbers where we have most impact.

[Carsten Orlt] "Adding a case number would only add to the workload "

I've worked with support teams before. This is automated. Handing the issue itself might involve human intervention but the case numbers would be automatically generated. BTW there's good reason why Apple has a series of question when you fill out the feedback form. It can immediately be categorized so they know any issues and basic specs vs any feature requests and the system the user has in context.

[Carsten Orlt] "My philosophy is that I give as little feedback as possible,"

From what I understand that's the opposite of what hear being requested by Apple and those close to them. They want and encourage feedback. It's part of the "market survey."

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on May 27, 2015 at 3:09:39 pm

I recently had a few crashes on my Retina iMac and sent in several crash reports. Within a day or two I got an email from an Apple support guy asking for some additional details and reports. So, somebody's reading them.

Best,
John

Best,
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]