FORUMS: list search recent posts

The new Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz vs 2.8 GHz for FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikolaj Mikkelsen
The new Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz vs 2.8 GHz for FCPX?
on May 20, 2015 at 8:56:11 am
Last Edited By Nikolaj Mikkelsen on May 20, 2015 at 8:57:04 am

Hi there,

After the upgrade of the Macbook Pro yesterday, I'm finally gonna replace my mid 2010 MBP. However, I cannot figure out if it's worth upgrading the processor from 2.5 GHz to 2.8 GHz for 200 €. Can anyone help me decide?

I'm using it as my primary editing machine, for editing music videos, concert recordings etc. Sometimes multi cams with 5 cameras, only 1080p but that might change to 4K in the future. I'm also starting to experiment with Motion 5...

Best regards,
Nikolaj

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: The new Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz vs 2.8 GHz for FCPX?
on May 20, 2015 at 9:48:25 am

No, I think RAM and Graphics cards and fast storage all contribute A LOT more to having quick performance. (especially fast storage, and especially for 4K).

That small processor bump will make some renders go a very small bit faster. Personally, I would keep that money rather towards a fast Thunderbolt RAID (like Pegasus) then to a processor bump. It will have a much more dramatic impact on your speed.

Return to posts index

Nikolaj Mikkelsen
on May 20, 2015 at 9:55:01 am

Allright, I'll go with the 2.5 then and get a thunderbolt enclosure for the 500 GB Samsung SSD from my old Macbook instead.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2015 at 11:44:46 am

Is it from a i5 to an i7? That's more than a speed bump. It also has teach like hyper threading if so. Doubling the virtual cores for rendering. Can't remember if h264 acceleration is in the i5.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on May 20, 2015 at 3:03:15 pm

you are correct, but that's why I checked the specs: they are both i7's.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2015 at 12:01:22 pm

Buy the fastest one you can afford it will last longer.

The highest end MacBook pros do not let you configure ram or gpu, they all come with 16GBs and now a 2GB AMD GPU.

You can opt not to upgrade the internal storage from 500GB to 1TB.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on May 20, 2015 at 12:38:29 pm

I'd wait and see what the GPU is like.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2015 at 1:25:48 pm

What do you mean you'd wait?

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on May 20, 2015 at 1:52:18 pm

I mean that from what I've read, no one is sure what the Radeon R9 M370X actually is or how it performs. It might be more powerful than the previous GPU or it might be less powerful (but with better battery life or something). It wouldn't be the first time that apple have sacrificed speed for something else. I would wait for benchmarks.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 21, 2015 at 2:10:55 pm

If you plan on using a MacBook Pro 15" for 4K, I'd suggest completely maxing out the configuration including the 2.8 GHz processor and the 1 TB internal flash storage. The actual performance of the laptop increases as you add more flash storage. I know it's more money, but you'll get another year of use from a maxed out machine at least and could be more by the time you buy again.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 21, 2015 at 6:45:58 pm

I'd give up storage space for the Graphics and CPU upgrade first. You don't want to skimp there at all.l

If any all day pounding on the keyboard pro buys less than the top of the line they are really losing money in the long haul.

Amortizing a computer for anther year or more is truly money saving. I can still sell this MBP on eBay for enough to make it worth my while to do.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 22, 2015 at 1:08:01 am

You should max out the specs. That's what I did with my 15" I bought in late 2013, and it's still quite a viable machine. In fact, this update is a little underwhelming compared to what I have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]