FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does it work for you

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Sitkin
Does it work for you
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:34:07 pm

I know most of us have invested lots of time, energy and $$ into FCP over the years. I started with FCP 1.25 and now work with FCP 7. I guess the only way to really know if FCP X will fit my flow is to start using it for smaller projects and then decide from there. More importantly though is working outside the box and trying to envision where our industry is headed in the next five years. I have seen mention iPad and the Cloud almost a William Gibson futuristic vision. How will news and stories be accessed in coming years? Are we witnessing the death of television? Will we see power struggles increase over net access? There are so many more avenues of possibilities that are unknown simply because tomorrow is unknown. The speed at which technology changes is quite amazing. I am 60 and have seen much change but I have a feeling that we have not witnessed even close to what is coming.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: Does it work for you
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:55:46 pm

[Bill Sitkin] "How will news and stories be accessed in coming years? Are we witnessing the death of television?"
Hi
The shared experience of high-profile sports events, or global breaking news will go on as its always gone on. On TV channels owned and resourced by big business conglomerates.
But now without Apple.

[Bill Sitkin] "Will we see power struggles increase over net access?"
Hugely. With Apple right in there pitching for a branded slice of the action.

Anything other piece of the action that the Apple userbase carve out for themselves could poof 6/21-style be nuked at any time of Apple's choosing in the future :-(

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:06:50 pm

[Bill Sitkin] "I know most of us have invested lots of time, energy and $$ into FCP over the years. I started with FCP 1.25 and now work with FCP 7. I guess the only way to really know if FCP X will fit my flow is to start using it for smaller projects and then decide from there."

I would disagree that this is the best way to evaluate X.
You don't proof test a firearm buy shooting the lightest load available, or dyno test a new engine design by letting it sit and idle all day.
The only way to know if something actually works in the real world is to push it to its design limits and beyond.
Back when they were trying to qualify ICBM's for use in manned flight. They ran them in a test stand in Huntsville, at their full rated limits, or more to see where they would fail. And the failures happened at the test stand so they could, easily pick up the pieces and examine them. These were the Redstone Arsenal Tests, and an example of how a proper Beta test should be done.
When I read between the lines, it seems that you already know this product can't be given 'The Redstone Arsenal Test'. Why waste the effort?
Why volunteer your time to Beta test apples product?
Why pay $300 dollars to Beta test apples product?
Are you testing this on your one and only system you use to make money? If so why would you risk system stability to be an unpaid apple Beta tester?
If anything you should be paid be apple for you time and knowledge.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Bill Sitkin
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:39:52 pm

Scott,
Thanks for your feedback. I see your point and also feel this is a new set of waves to surf. New day different feel. There is something to be said for surfing smaller waves first before jumping straight to the 20 footers. My situation allows for this gentle indoctrination and it may turn out that I use both or neither. Apple does what it does regardless of my input. FCP is just another tool to use or not. My choice, my responsibility. Ultimately intuition is my guide.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:04:56 pm

I make my living as an editor and on FCS. Sure, I am disappointed, but really like FCP X and have seen tremendous benefits in my workflow and for my job's near-term projects. I don't think that Apple is abandoning the pro. In fact, I have a problem with that term as I think it's a subjective and inconsistent in use. Perhaps Apple is reimagining what that pro (which includes prosumer) editorial space is and making the change now as it projects it's software and hardware goals in the coming years.

As for people jumping ship - it's going to happen without a doubt. Always does and always will as people don't want to accept change and the methods/motives behind it. I believe Apple will make up for those it loses in grand number and FCPX will be a trojan horse app in the long run in the way the iphone and iPad have been. It's been said that the big companies and studios and such will be the only home for pros (in paraphrase) , but as with iphones and iPads, when the vast numbers of people using FCPX and subsequent iterations, it's vast array of third party hooks, and the hardware that people will certainly want, I think it will be the business that will have to cave in to the populous to a certain (not necessarily total) extent. We're seeing that now. The iPhone and iPad has infiltrated business and IT departments where people thought it never would or could because they've become excellent personal devices and business devices. Not necessarily the best, but the preferred. FCP 1-7 had the same affect actually.

Believe me, FCPX did not meet my expectations, but in many ways it exceeded them and gave me a new way to perceive how I leverage information in my editorial workflow. Aside from learning new key commands, this version of FCP is akin to how I felt about Motion when it first came out - I could just work and not have the software in my face so much. I could play and experiment more and focus more on the creativity.

My FCP 7 still works. My Multibridge Pro 2 still works. I am not jumping ship just yet. I am admittedly hopeful and yet still wary of what my or may not come. Though with the power of computers these days, the sophistication of even simple AV and imaging tools, and general accessibility of communication tools and of course the internet, it's increasingly hard for studios to compete with a competent person or persons with their own gear and Apple knows this. Studios of many sizes have already downsized and closed for this very reason.

I like to think that's there's "pros" in many spaces of content creation. As technology levels the playing field even further and will continue to do so, FCP X on it's own doesn't need to be everything, but it Should be accessible to all these spaces via third party hooks. Think of it like iphone/iPad apps. Who would have thought that having mega applications on our desktops that do so much would be trickle down to having simple apps that just do specific things we need done and do it well.

Part of what I love about this industry is that it's constantly changing. That's what makes it fun. That what keeps me learning. Don't get me wrong, I've been looking at that Pr icon in my production suite with an itchy finger, but just out of curiosity to see what other's are talking about. I am having more fun learning FCPX cause it's new and shiny and stuff!

Tangier

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]