FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe offer for FCP and Avid users

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Radeke
Adobe offer for FCP and Avid users
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:24:49 pm

Hey all,

Keeping it short and sweet - no sales pitch - just information. I put a blog article up that briefly discusses an Adobe offer now available to Apple and Avid users. Gives you all of the necessary links.

Adobe offer

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Adobe offer for FCP and Avid users
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:51:39 pm

Hey Dennis, that's great news. As an owner of CS5 Master Collection I guess that leaves me out. Although half off on the Master Collection upgrade to CS 5.5 would be welcome.

I must ask- for a company that advertises Professional Tools for media creation- why has the website been messed up on iPhones for the last 4 or 4 months? It's this little skinny column with bug extra wide pictures at times. Doesn't bode well for Dreamweaver!

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:37:29 pm

Hey Bret, I have no idea. You might try another browser. When I had an iPhone (3g), I never used Safari. HTML 5 is showing up fine on all of my device browsers.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:25:58 pm

Hi there, nice deal! what's the situation with cineform after the Gopro purchase? Is the codec going to remain commercially available going forward do you think?

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:30:57 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Hi there, nice deal! what's the situation with cineform after the Gopro purchase? Is the codec going to remain commercially available going forward do you think?"

Hard to tell Aindreas, but given that the codec is dependent on having usage and host applications, I think that it will be just fine. Adobe also understands that while native workflows are best, there are situations where having a DI codec is good...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:48:01 pm

good god - creative software company, like, right here nattering away. Anyone else curious about anything relating to premiere? My last two questions - when do you think premiere 6 is likely to ship? Without being specific - what's like ye're main focus this time round would you say - interaction with third party hardware? or is it the core app? From what I've read the under the hood is already pretty murderous.
Actually one other thing? Shane Hurlbut spoke about premiere's handling of DSLR footage for large screen projection - he said ye had looked into the specifics of the codec in a fairly big way, got your hands dirty - what did that entail? that bit made me very curious.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:03:43 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "when do you think Premiere [Pro CS6] is likely to ship?"

We've become very public about our releases, which I think is good for the community and our customers. We ship major versions (5, 6, etc.) every two years, so that means CS6 will ship sometime in 2012. In the intervening years, we do a 'technology update' which is the .5 version. We do this because we want to keep our customers current on the rapid pace of innovation but also give them flexibility about when it makes sense for them to update. So from that, you would expect a CS6.5 sometime in 2013.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Without being specific - what's like ye're main focus this time round would you say"

I will be specific - our focus for CS6 is the prfessional/craft editor. Yes, I thought you'd like that.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "interaction with third party hardware?"

With the 64-bit rewrite behind us, both Adobe and our partners (hardware and software) can focus on innovation and supporting new workflows. In CS5 we worked very hard to support our hardware partners to make sure they were able to develop support. That said, it still took a while. Now, we expect support to become easier as time goes on. AJA just announced 5.5 support with MPE support - nice!

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Shane Hurlbut spoke about premiere's handling of DSLR footage for large screen projection - he said ye had looked into the specifics of the codec in a fairly big way, got your hands dirty - what did that entail? that bit made me very curious."

In a nutshell, we worked directly with Canon to make sure that our handling of the files and display of their color space was as robust as possible. We have the roadmaps and partnerships of all of the major camera companies and we work with them to make sure our products work well with their acquisition formats. With DSLR proliferating so quickly and serious story telling being done with it, Premiere Pro can be a good production workflow for a lot of it, including outputting DPX files for final grading.

Hope this helps satisfy your curiosity. ;-)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:09:51 pm

It's so refreshing to have you come on here and lay out the "roadmap" for where Adobe is planning to take the product. And the special offer is a great idea. Everything Adobe are doing right now with Premiere feels like it's right on the money.

Or are you planning on discontinuing it next week without letting anybody know in advance?

;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:31:24 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Or are you planning on discontinuing it next week without letting anybody know in advance?"

My sprite went down into my lungs just now when I read that. That was classic :). I was discussing upgrades with Adobe earlier. Price switch is good marketing. I will definitely take advantage of it.

Or rather Are you going to rent out Vegas for the largest video editing expo ever to tell us CS6 is going to shake the foundation of the world. Then release Adobe Acrobat that can line up PDF images with music added in?

Buddy C

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:09:35 pm

and it surely did. ta very much.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:32:13 am

Seriously? Adobe doesn't realize what their site looks like on an iPhone? It's been like this since the last redesign. Doesn't bode well for the whole multiscreen authoring being toted by the DW team. Here's a screen shot.

Surely that's not what it's supposed to look like.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:00:50 pm

Brilliant ! Get the boot in to Apple while they're down !

Return to posts index

Eric Michael Cap
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:23:48 pm

Smart move by Adobe! $400 for Premiere Pro w/Encore + Flash Media Encoder or $400 for FCPX w/Motion + Compressor. Or $850 for Production Premium w/Photoshop & After Effects or $995 for Avid Media Composer w/Boris Continuum & Sorenson Squeeze. Decisions.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:04:46 pm

[Eric Michael Cap] "$400 for Premiere Pro w/Encore + Flash Media Encoder "

that's a really good offer. that's 250 quid all in. And then you get onto version 6 for about another 100 quid.

Who here thinks premiere 6 is going to be anything other than a highly motivated release for Adobe?
And just think of all the flash we can directly output for them. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of lovely flash. If the future of media and broadcasting is the Web, well... would you look at all that flash? who doesn't want to be driving an editing system intimately interconnected with modern media delivery? A system that can incorporate meta data tags into the material at output to deliver higher online CPMs for clients and such things? Did that sound convincing? What is a CPM again?

I like Flash. I mean, who doesn't like Flash? Future media bedrock Flash is I say. Bed-rock.

Return to posts index

Eric Michael Cap
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:19:31 pm

Actually it's now called Adobe Media Encoder (AME) and it not only does Flash but H.264 and can transcode to ProRes or whatever codecs are on your system (DNxHD etc.). And it's 64-bit & cross-platform (unlike Compesssor 4). Now if Adobe would just take a leaf out of Avid's book and provide both Mac & PC versions to FCP switchers & improve a few things in a point update (monitoring, fcp xml translation, color tools etc.) I'd be sold. I was leaning towards renting to begin with but the $400 offer is pretty compelling & perhaps I'll update to Prod. Premium when V6 drops. Would love to see a Premiere Pro + Photoshop Ext. bundle for say $600. And if Avid opens up their hardware support for MC 5.5 to all vendors I may just get both. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:31:16 pm

I would kill for a Premiere AE deal bundle. that would be picking the two cherries out of the pie for me.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:52:10 pm

Is this available in the UK? The Adobe site refuses to load for me.

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:41:03 pm

I just read the 50% off offer and about fell out of my chair! I went online and ordered it!

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:09:11 pm

After reading the first part of this thread, I was borderline appalled at the brashness of coming to an Apple FCPx forum and just busting out with that.

But after reading through the thread, and also noticing another instance in a DIFFERENT thread where a separate Adobe employee answered another question, I have to say I am thoroughly impressed. It's a bold move guys and I think it will work.

I've toyed with Premiere and think it's a great program. This offer is certainly a nice touch and it shows you are listening.

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

James Daugherty
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:28:09 pm

Adobe is moving in for the KILL..

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/switch.html

James Daugherty
President SDFCPUG.com

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:44:21 pm

I like it. The video is wicked.

Aside from the top ten reasons given by Adobe to switch to Premiere, I can think of 50 other reasons to pick Premiere over Final Cut X.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:08:51 pm

it's crazy - a week ago I would never have thought of premiere, I had no idea what shape it was in as an application, and this with me starting in design with AE, photoshop, illustrator, I still use them all the time. It just never entered my head.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:20:11 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "a week ago I would never have thought of premiere"

To coin a phrase - "it just works"!

Hmmmm - I must copyright that. Oh no, hang on ...

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:27:08 pm

Back in the day, Premiere was terrible compared to FCP. Adobe has made huge strides improving Premiere but there was no real reason to learn and use Premiere. Now there is a good reason to learn it and thankfully we can all benefit from the hard work of Adobe.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:33:46 pm

I agree John. Thanks for the kudos!

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andrew Hays
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:22:34 pm

thanks for the info. I have been using CS4 Production Premium and will be looking into this once comic con is over.

A constant learner of new things, that pretty much sums me up!

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:27:04 pm

Great deal, I am demoing Production Premium at the moment.

One gripe I have is that Premiere and Media Encoder aren't flexible in exporting other audio configs than stereo or 5.1. (might be a limit of the demo's though). I'd like to have the option to route the audio to as many tracks and configs on output as I need in a Quicktime or MXF container.

For a batch encoder I'd like some sort of audio routing matrix. (a bit like the ones in Telestream Episode or Rhozet Carbon Coder). But with more trackconfig options, like 2 or more stereo tracks for multi-language stuff.

With FCP7, QT Player Pro and Compressor, I am quite flexible with audio tracks (having many automated scripts as well)

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:58:32 pm

[Geert van den Berg] "One gripe I have is that Premiere and Media Encoder aren't flexible in exporting other audio configs than stereo or 5.1. (might be a limit of the demo's though). I'd like to have the option to route the audio to as many tracks and configs on output as I need in a Quicktime or MXF container."

Yes, this is true. We know that we need to create multi-track audio outs for the future. It is not a feature of the current release but we know it's something we need to do.

For anyone who wishes to submit a feature request (or a bug report), please look at the following link:

Adobe Feature Request Form

We take a look at these submissions, log them, and count them with an idea of implementing as many of the top ones every release we can. Of course, it's always fewer than we'd all like!

Return to posts index

Pete Appleby
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:08:05 am

Funny, I used the online chat yesterday on the Adobe site asking if there was a switch promo. Good things come to those who wait!

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:28:18 am

I'm pretty sure that the demo doesn't have all the codecs and full features. I understand it is to do with licencing with the various codec manufacturers. The suite is such a good price that I would recommend buying it. My CS5.5 slips into bed quite nicely with FCP on my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro. They never fight.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:49:58 am

[Peter Corbett] "I'm pretty sure that the demo doesn't have all the codecs and full features."

While previous versions did not include all codecs (due to licensing issues), with CS5.5 we truly have a fully working product that is complete. It includes all codecs, all features, no watermarking. Make money with our product for free for 30 days.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:38:27 am

[Dennis Radeke] "Make money with our product for free for 30 days."

Nice! :)

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved