FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very OT: i can't realy explain how much I hate Apple right now.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Very OT: i can't realy explain how much I hate Apple right now.
on May 16, 2015 at 4:19:06 pm

My ipod classic just died in a bout of owner stupidity when I left my sun roof open during a rain storm. I have excuses: exhaustion, long trip -- but yeah, I'm an ultra-maroon and I'm in a mess of my own making. So I geared up to buy another classic only to find out Apple doesn't make them anymore. Apparently the axe fell on the classic last fall, but unlike FCP7 this was a quiet, unannounced euthanasia.

I have no need for the Ipod Touch, I just use the ipod to listen to music in my car, but I was ready to pop for the xtra bucks for the Itouch - but wait, the largest Touch only handles 64 Gig. My music library is closer to 100 gig, which is why I owned a classic. Do you mean to say Apple killed a product without a replacement - "yes" says my very sweet Apple salesperson.

Leave it to Apple to create a product category, then thoroughly demolish any competition, then screw the upper end customers who don't have the listening habits of a 15 year old. Yes, I listen to music more than 8 weeks old and I listen to lots of it - but now I'm screwed. I'm already way too invested in Apple's proprietary downloads to be able to use anything else, along with the fact that very little else actually exists.

As Tim would say, I got what I deserved from buying products from a company that lives off devouring it's young. So I guess my biggest stupidity wasn't in leaving the sunroof open after all.

Gggrrrrrhhhhh.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Very OT: i can't realy explain how much I hate Apple right now.
on May 16, 2015 at 5:13:06 pm

Could have been worse Herb, you could have owned a Zune!

iPod Classic death was marked across most of the tech sites last year, wasn't big enough news to hit the mainstream media. Failing Apple e-mailing everyone on their mailing list to tell them I'm not sure what more they could have done.

The Classic had been going for almost 14 years and the Touch was clearly the replacement for it, they ran them both side by side and they kept going with the Classic much longer than everyone expected.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 16, 2015 at 5:22:41 pm

[Steve Connor] "The Classic had been going for almost 14 years and the Touch was clearly the replacement for it, they ran them both side by side and they kept going with the Classic much longer than everyone expected."

I understand products change over time -- kill the Classic and have a new high-end Touch with roughly the same storage for twice the price. Fine, I get that. But that isn't what happened. Does the new Macbook have less memory than preceding versions, because the Touch has about half the memory of the Classic?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 16, 2015 at 5:15:04 pm

Hey Herb,

Just get Spotify and sync your iTunes playlists to your spotify account via the desktop app, sync what you want to your iPhone and the rest will stream when you need it.

This is one area where apple was disrupted by outside forces. The world of physical storage of music is pretty much over. It sucks to get used to at first but doing the math, 30 years of Spotify is cheaper than all the CDs I'd buy in that same amount of time.

RIP iPod.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 16, 2015 at 5:56:42 pm

[John Davidson] "Just get Spotify and sync your iTunes playlists to your spotify account via the desktop app, sync what you want to your iPhone and the rest will stream when you need it."

That would work for a lot of casual listeners, but Spotify probably carries about 60% of what I listen to - what do I do for the other 2500 songs?

[John Davidson] " The world of physical storage of music is pretty much over. It sucks to get used to at first but doing the math, 30 years of Spotify is cheaper than all the CDs I'd buy in that same amount of time."

Spotify is the equivalent of listening to pretty good FM radio. It is not adequate for listeners with broad and eclectic tastes. It is also restricted to places that are wi-fi enabled, which is way to limiting for me.

Apple supplies a physical storage solution, it's called a 128 gig Iphone, and apparently I may have to buy the dammed thing just so I can listen to music. Oh well.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

John Davidson
The Promise of the Cloud
on May 16, 2015 at 6:26:46 pm

[Herb Sevush] "It is also restricted to places that are wi-fi enabled, which is way to limiting for me."

Like Tim said, you can set the quality to higher than CD data rates. Also, you can download and listen to tracks offline, no wifi needed. Lastly, it will read the songs that you can't find from your iTunes synced library on your phone.

There is also:
Amazon Prime music
Pandora
Beats
and Tidal (hahahaha, just kidding).

You can also get iTunes Match if you want to back up your entire library (no more than 25,000 songs though) so that even if iTunes can't find the exact song in their database, the actual file is uploaded and streamed. I have over 25k songs, so I'm mostly disappointed in the service as it tends to just stop syncing when you go over. The benefit of it - if it worked great - is that you can open a new library on any new mac and have your whole library streamable without the need of filling up your hard drives. I do hope the new apple solution merges beats with match and removes the 25k song limit.

This speaks to the broader implications of what you've encountered. The world is moving on from managed media storage on devices that don't have sufficient space. Photos is a great - and actually great working - example of this. I have 500+ gigs of photos in my Aperture/iPhoto library. There's no way a new base model macbook air could handle or manage all those photos. With iCloud Photo Library, I still get all my photos synced across all devices - even phones - and only download the full resolution ones when I do serious editing on the images. The edits are seamless and near instant across all devices, even for RAW photos.

Yep, I'm paying $20/mo for this. But I also am completely unaffected if a hard drive crashes, a computer falls in the toilet, my wife throws an iPad at me, etc. That's the promise of the cloud - cheaper devices (because you're not buying huge SSD's in them) that are also more disposable. Your important media goes with you no matter what you're on.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: The Promise of the Cloud
on May 16, 2015 at 6:37:24 pm

[John Davidson] "Your important media goes with you no matter what you're on."

...and is subject to absolute control by the corporations who own the "cloud".

Cloud computing is the antithesis of personal computing.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 16, 2015 at 5:26:00 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I'm already way too invested in Apple's proprietary downloads to be able to use anything else, along with the fact that very little else actually exists."

I feel for you. In this case, eBay is your best friend:

http://ebay.to/1Hk0F4k

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 16, 2015 at 5:41:45 pm

Yes it's a real mess.

Imagine a company shutting down all the alternative paths to your personally owned content except via their proprietary "cloud" (iTunes Match, in this case) With no guarantee that your personal content will be accessible off into the future unless you pay and pay and pay for the service.

Good thing as John mentioned, you have alternatives like Spotify.

Imagine if this was about something REALLY critical like all your editing files?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 16, 2015 at 5:51:47 pm

[Herb Sevush] "As Tim would say, I got what I deserved from buying products from a company that lives off devouring it's young. "

I'm not saying you deserve it. Nobody deserves being treated the way Apple treats its customers. (Well, not nobody, but not you.)

I'm just saying it's to be expected.

I'm sorry to hear it though. There's nothing worse than losing music. (That's right, I said NOTHING.) It happened to me once in the physical world in a home burglary, and again in the digital age when catastrophe stuck a backup hard drive. I'd never been one for backing up backups before (oops), but now, no need to bother.

Enter Spotify.

[John Davidson] "Just get Spotify and sync your iTunes playlists to your spotify account via the desktop app, sync what you want to your iPhone and the rest will stream when you need it.

This is one area where apple was disrupted by outside forces. "

Streaming sources have passed downloads as the #1 source of music revenue. Specifically, Spotify has passed iTunes as a source for music revenue in much of the world, and about to cross in the US -- hence Apple's $3 billion investment in Beats.

Not for headphones (although I'm sure Apple is delighted with that money), but for the streaming music infrastructure that Beats had built. The Netflix-ization of music is long underway, and Apple had been nowhere near ready.

But I can't agree more with John that Spotify is the next right move. The Beatles are a notable exception, but really, otherwise, I have access to virtually every piece of music I've ever bought, which is in fact my primary use of Spotify.

Of course it's mighty cool to listen to bajillions of things that I've not bought..but the immediate access to virtually everything I HAVE ever bought, including on physical disks that I never got around to iTuning or Amazoning, anywhere, anytime, is priceless.

Ya gotta get the premium subscription. One thing it means is that you can "replace" virtually everything you lost, and add vastly more, for $9.95/mo. Premium provides much higher quality (often better than CDs) than the commercial-monetized free version, and you can download music to your player, not just stream. One click to download or undownload anything, so it's incredibly easy to manage your space, or anything else while barely touching your computer.

It's definitely easier to build complex playlists on a computer, and I build a TON of them -- but there's nothing to sync in the iTunes sense. The playlists, plus my albums, tracks, etc. are already "on" my device when I open the app.

Apple is obviously working on this, and I'm sure it will be BETTER THAN ANYTHING EVER, because EVERYTHING Apple does is BETTER THAN ANYTHING EVER....but I'm always going to recommend less dependence on Apple. Spotify works great, including on iOS.

All kidding and recommendations aside, I really do feel for your music loss, though. There's really nothing quite like it, and I do want to acknowledge this, one passionate music lover to another.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 16, 2015 at 6:11:06 pm

Tim -

I have really eclectic taste in music - are you saying that other than the 4 lads from liverpool, they cover everythig else - Missa Luba (Mass song in congolese), Paul Horn inside the Taj Mahal, Lo and Behold (mcguiness flynt singing the basement tapes) - this type of stuff? Also what do you use to store songs when downloading? MP3 players or phones or what? This might save me a major purchase if it can work.

Thanks.

[Tim Wilson] "There's nothing worse than losing music. (That's right, I said NOTHING.)"

Words to live by.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 17, 2015 at 2:10:08 pm

Tim -

Just signed on to Spotify. With the ability to upload my own music, it shouldn't take long to fill in the missing holes in their library. Thanks for the tip. When you download for offline listening, what do you download too - phone, digital player, ipad?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 17, 2015 at 9:53:34 pm

Here you go Herb - might help

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 17, 2015 at 10:23:19 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on May 17, 2015 at 10:30:25 pm

Steve, at least his iPod did not meet this fate:

;-)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 18, 2015 at 1:18:48 am

Thank you Steve. Very cathartic.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 16, 2015 at 6:01:44 pm

[Bill Davis] "Good thing as John mentioned, you have alternatives like Spotify."

Spotify is not a good alternative for me, as explained elsewhere. As for Adobe, at the point at which they shut me out without options, I will be just as mad. The difference is Apple is screwing me today, with Adobe it's still theoretical.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 17, 2015 at 3:49:00 am

[Herb Sevush] "The difference is Apple is screwing me today, with Adobe it's still theoretical.
"

Happy for you.

For what it's worth, I'm locked out of my Adobe Photographers account again for the second time in 7 months - and have been unable to upgrade my software to the current version, use Lightroom mobile at ALL (it keeps prompting me to subscribe over again - even tho my account gets hit regularly for the subscription amount already.)

I believe this all to be an issue of having signed up at some point under two different IDs and the Adobe validation system being utterly unable to sort out which user I am. I spent 75 minutes on the phone once before and thought I had it sorted - but the moment I tried to update my Lightroom software, the entire mess rose up again.

So here I am - with the only part of the Adobe subscription system that appears to work flawlessly being the part that generates the subscription bills.. In fairness, at least I'm no longer being double billed. Just billed for software access that I'm unable to actually use. So I suppose that's progress. Sigh.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 18, 2015 at 2:11:11 pm

Bill,

Get in touch with me either via the cow or DM on twitter or something and I'll work to get whatever your problem is straightened out.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 18, 2015 at 7:53:37 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Bill,

Get in touch with me either via the cow or DM on twitter or something and I'll work to get whatever your problem is straightened out.

Dennis"

Dennis,

Thank you so much. It's really a mess and I definitely could use help.

My personal email is my name backwards (davisbill) plus the Apple email server (at) icloud.com

I'd be extremely happy to forward any and all account info, passwords, and whatever else might be useful to get this fixed. I also have extensive notes and screen grabs of what I've seen as I've tried to get it sorted out. My old friend Kevin Monahan sincerely tried to help me last time - but since this stuff relates to the photo side and the billing servers, I suspect it was beyond his area of influence.

I also understand that it may or may not be within the preview of what YOU do. So know I'm appreciative, but extremely understanding and have my expectations in check.

Just ping me with an address, and I'll respond with whatever ID and account info that you might need from me.

Thank you. Sincerely.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 19, 2015 at 12:23:06 pm

Bill,

Hopefully, you have a note in your inbox. Let me know if you do not!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 19, 2015 at 5:59:13 pm

Dennis,

I did and thank you.

I'll get the info to you as soon as I can around work. And again, I appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 16, 2015 at 6:24:10 pm

[Bill Davis] "Imagine a company shutting down all the alternative paths to your personally owned content except via their proprietary "cloud""

[Bill Davis] "Imagine if this was about something REALLY critical like all your editing files?"

This. ^

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2015 at 6:32:03 pm

Herb,

I feel your pain. I keep my iPod classic around for similar reasons. The Cloud is great right up until the point you don't have access to it. ;) For example, I'm always surprised about how quickly cell signals drop like a rock in the Santa Monica Mountains even though it's literally sounded by Los Angeles. If I'm going for a hike and want music it has to be on local storage.

[Bill Davis] "Good thing as John mentioned, you have alternatives like Spotify."

iTunes Match basically allows you to stream music you already own to all of your devices. If Apple shut down iTunes Match it would only mean you couldn't use iTunes Match. You are still free to put your music where ever you want (even servers) and use non-Apple solutions to achieve the same end goals.

With Spotify, on the other hand, you are just streaming music Spotify has the rights to stream to you. If Spotify goes away so does your music.

[Bill Davis] "Imagine if this was about something REALLY critical like all your editing files?"

Imagine if there was a way you could export your project files to like 4-5 other NLEs? ;)

At times like this I wonder how many people run their own email and/or web hosting servers out of their house, only use cash, live disconnected from the power grid and are trying to figure out how to become their own ISP.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 16, 2015 at 6:14:07 pm

I heard that.

My 64 gig iPhone 5 64 "died"recently and I went to get a new phone for replacement. I don't want the iPhone 6 as it's a bit too bulky. Went to the Apple store for a 5s and lo and behold, they don't sell the 5s in a 64gig size since the 6 came out. Plenty of 32 an d16's but no 64. I was told if I want 64 gig I need to go to the 6. So I went with the 5s. Almost as bad as losing music is having to choose what music you want and what you can live without: "Live at Filmore East? Gotta have it. Quadraphenia....hmmmm...Jerry Lee...see ya..." And of course no photos.

C'mon, Neil Young, get Pono out there.

Side note: my daughter said she would take the old Iphone 5 and see if she could fix it. I chuckled and handed it over (you know, the "well dear old dad knows his stuff about this dear, but you can try. It's a good lesson for you..."). She grabbed a toothpick and compressed air and pulled about a half a pound of pocket lint out of the charging slot and it worked like a charm. Should have given her the 5s but she has more than 32 gig of music...and so it goes.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 16, 2015 at 7:20:15 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Almost as bad as losing music is having to choose what music you want and what you can live without: "Live at Filmore East? Gotta have it. Quadraphenia....hmmmm...Jerry Lee...see ya..." "

Another advantage of Spotify. Save anything you want, stream if you can, download if you can't. I no longer have to decide. It's all there. All the time.

[John Davidson] "you can download and listen to tracks offline, no wifi needed"

This is key for me. I live at the absolute fringe of my phone data, and at the absolute end of my ISP's hardwired network. They keep coming out to try boosting the signal, but the head-end engineers are not encouraging of our long-term connectivity prospects. If I couldn't download Spotify music, and had to rely 100% on streaming, it would be nearly useless to me.

I really do find myself enjoying Spotify far more than any other music platform I've ever had....

...although vinyl is the only one of them I still miss. But if I'm being honest, a lot of it was the just the size of the media. Hell, if I could buy full-size album covers and associated goodies without the albums in them, I would.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 16, 2015 at 9:51:10 pm

[Tim Wilson] " if I could buy full-size album covers and associated goodies without the albums in them, I would."

true that.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 17, 2015 at 2:05:17 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Hell, if I could buy full-size album covers and associated goodies without the albums in them, I would."

And for just $5 more, assorted stems and seeds included for old times sake...

;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 16, 2015 at 7:22:19 pm

Yep, you nailed it Herb. I bought a Classic, right before they pulled the plug. No, I'm not clairvoyant... I actually had no clue that they were killing it. It was simply my only choice at the time.

Like you my iTunes library is too big to fit on anything else Apple makes. Even the new (wasn't around at the time) 128GB iPhone won't hold it. I'm at 140GB and growing, so only a 160GB iPod Classic will hold it.

Nice move Apple. I've heard the rationalizations about HD's being unavailable. Am I supposed to believe that a company that buys up entire runs of components for several years in advance, screwed up on this? BS!

Apple decided they didn't care about the Classic. They did the Apple standard "like it or lump it approach". We're Apple and you'll just accept whatever gruel we dish out. Besides, we want to force you to the cloud anyway.

Screw the cloud. It's another solution in search of a problem. I'm traveling all over Scotland at the moment where internet is spotty as hell. If I depended on Spotify (no slight intended to them specifically) or anything else, I'd be screwed. Thank god I got a Classic before Tim Cook killed it.

To all those technology worshippers out there, I'll just make a couple of comments. The USA spent $13 million developing a pen that would write in a zero gravity environment in space. It failed in some cases. The Russians gave their Cosmonauts pencils that worked 100% of the time. Sometimes a plain old fashioned hammer is faster than a pneumatic nailer. It's just the nature of life. Technology isn't the solution to everything... and neither is the cloud or Apple... especially under Tim Cook.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 16, 2015 at 7:32:11 pm

At least you're not this guy.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 17, 2015 at 1:00:24 am

Are those 8 track tapes making a comeback? Seriously?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 17, 2015 at 3:38:20 pm

I have an aunt that would record stuff on VHS tapes from end to end, about six hours in length. She had at least seven VCR decks. Enough tapes she had to open a mini sized Blockbuster or other tape rental business. One day, out of extreme boredom and curiosity I decided to do a little math for fun. I took the number of tapes multiplied that by six to get the total number of hours. Divided that result by 24 and that result by 365 to get the number of years it would take to watch all those tapes 24/7 without taking a break. Result came to about 30 years! One can only imagine the time it would take to listen to that collection that guy has. Eek!

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 16, 2015 at 8:59:27 pm

[Mitch Ives] "If I depended on Spotify (no slight intended to them specifically) or anything else, I'd be screwed. "

Understood...but again, a problem for which Spotify contains its own solution. Download all you can eat, any time.

[Andrew Kimery] "With Spotify, on the other hand, you are just streaming music Spotify has the rights to stream to you. If Spotify goes away so does your music. "

Of course...but you're assuming that ownership is the most compelling way to music. The world disagrees, which is why streaming has disrupted music consumption so quickly. I never assumed I owned anything on Spotify, so the changing selection is no big deal. Certainly no deal breaker.

I assume you're avoiding Netflix for the same reason? Because they got there first. People would rather NOT own movies and TV shows. They can, but they choose not to.

(This is another area where iTunes was disrupted too, btw. When was the last time you heard about people bingeing on iTunes shows they BOUGHT? I'm sure it happens...right? But not in any way that Apple can sustain a business on at anything resembling historic levels.)

But that's my question for you. Do you avoid Netflix? Or even cable TV? Because it's the exact same model as Spotify, MINUS THE DOWNLOADS. I don't think you guys are getting the power of downloading Spotify.

My point being that you don't own anything on cable TV, and yet you might watch anyway. Or you don't own anything on Netflix, yet you might still watch anyway.

Or are you ONLY consuming media you buy?

I'm not being rhetorical or combative (this time). I genuinely want to know.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2015 at 9:45:07 pm

[Mitch Ives] "To all those technology worshippers out there, I'll just make a couple of comments. The USA spent $13 million developing a pen that would write in a zero gravity environment in space. It failed in some cases. The Russians gave their Cosmonauts pencils that worked 100% of the time. Sometimes a plain old fashioned hammer is faster than a pneumatic nailer. It's just the nature of life. Technology isn't the solution to everything... and neither is the cloud or Apple... especially under Tim Cook."

I agree with the sentiment to a degree, but the pencil/pen story is unfortunately a myth. Pencil's can chip/break and create dust and are flammable which is bad inside of a space ship, and the 'space pen' was developed by a private company and given to NASA (which tested and approved it).

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

[Tim Wilson] "Of course...but you're assuming that ownership is the most compelling way to music."

Not assuming anything, just going about one of my hobby's which is disagreeing with Bill Davis. :) But in all seriousness, I was just pointing out the difference between iTunes Match and Spotify. I use a combination of my own music plus iTunes Match, Spotify (paid version), Pandora (free version) and regular old radio for my listening needs.

As a former cord cutter (Cable free for six years) I'll say that Netflix is fine for back catalog but there is usually a 1yr delay before TV shows start showing up on it which is sometimes too long for me. Hulu is great for on demand network TV shows but not much beyond that. I used Amazon to buy season passes to current seasons of shows like Orphan Black or Sons of Anarchy and I only had to wait 24hrs after the air date in order to watch them. As an Amazon Prime member I would also usually get access to back catalogs of shows that before Netflix or ones that Netflix didn't have. I never bought any shows via iTunes because I didn't want to also have to buy an AppleTV. Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc., are on pretty much every device so no need to tie myself down with an AppleTV.

As I said, former cord cutter. When baby #1 on the way my better half wanted cable so I called up TWC and got whatever best combo/deal they had going plus a DVR (to get rid of 'appointment TV limitations'). It's all pretty cool and the built-in on demand means we are using Netflix and Amazon a lot less. I don't know if I'll keep cable once the introductory rates wear off, but I love bingeing on How It's Made on the Science channel.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 16, 2015 at 10:01:41 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Or are you ONLY consuming media you buy?"

Movies and music are not comparable items. I've watched "The Wire" series about 4 times, I've listened to Jumpin Jack Flash 4 hundred times (at least.) Most movies and TV I'm quite content with renting. Music I need to own. I need to know that if the apocalypse comes, as long as I can find electricity, I can listen to Otis Redding. When the juice goes, so do I.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 16, 2015 at 11:04:09 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Music I need to own. I need to know that if the apocalypse comes, as long as I can find electricity, I can listen to Otis Redding. When the juice goes, so do I."

So presumably you own ALL your music on CD or vinyl?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 17, 2015 at 12:05:23 am

[Steve Connor] "So presumably you own ALL your music on CD or vinyl?"

No, that was my mistake. I've downloaded a lot of material on Itunes and now I'm enslaved to a company that no longer cares about me as a consumer - (I'm not a 15 year old girl and no longer fit in their marketing plans.) The half of my collection that is on CD is totally available to me. It's the Apple half that is screwing me. And I will be spending a lot of money and time re-purchasing my music on CD so that this won't happen in the future.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 17, 2015 at 11:36:02 pm

[Herb Sevush] " I need to know that if the apocalypse comes, as long as I can find electricity, I can listen to Otis Redding."

Words of wisdom....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 16, 2015 at 11:03:20 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Nice move Apple. I've heard the rationalizations about HD's being unavailable. Am I supposed to believe that a company that buys up entire runs of components for several years in advance, screwed up on this? BS!
"

They weren't selling, Apple stopped making them, every consumer goods Company in the world does this.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 17, 2015 at 12:33:25 pm

[Steve Connor] "They weren't selling, Apple stopped making them, every consumer goods Company in the world does this."

There's a couple of problems with your theory Steve. The first is that when Tim was asked that question, he said the opposite. The second one is that when some people, who apparently found out about the EOL, snapped up the 160GB models and started selling them on eBay and Amazon at quite a premium. Used ones were selling for more than they cost new. That doesn't happen with product that "nobody wants".

I think if you could have a beer with Tim, he'd tell you that they blew it. That they should have had a larger iPod touch ready before they gave up the Classic. If he was really honest, he'd tell you that an iPod Touch with that much storage would probably be too damn expensive, and that they flat should have kept the 160GB Classic...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 17, 2015 at 2:40:14 pm

[Mitch Ives] "The second one is that when some people, who apparently found out about the EOL, snapped up the 160GB models and started selling them on eBay and Amazon at quite a premium. Used ones were selling for more than they cost new. That doesn't happen with product that "nobody wants".
"

Well obviously some people still wanted it, but presumably not enough to make it viable. There wasn't a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth on the web when it did die. Most people had moved on

Although I think the numbers on the Touch aren't so great either, it hasn't been updated for a few years. Perhaps the launch of "Apple Beats" might see a new version of it.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 18, 2015 at 6:16:35 pm

[Steve Connor] "Although I think the numbers on the Touch aren't so great either, it hasn't been updated for a few years. Perhaps the launch of "Apple Beats" might see a new version of it."

If it's got more than 128GB, I shudder to think what it'll cost...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 16, 2015 at 11:12:59 pm

Well, after reading all these posts about time for me to invest in a high fidelity analog stereo audio system. No misprints, I do mean analog, the vinyl LP record. It is making a comeback to a certain degree. High end audio makers still build those gorgeous turntables.

Why do I bring this up? For starters, I do not always feel the need to bring all these soon to be dead on arrival technological wonders (being sarcastic about wonderful technology here as technology is often a curse than a blessing all together another subject). Having to keep up with everything.

Besides, nothing like the sweet sound of good old analog, so much better than most of the digital garbage today, being mainly bad singers, inappropriate content such as promoting unscrupulous behavior and Justin Bieber, that person you just cannot stand. Old school music from people with real talent, dressed appropriately on vinyl is the real deal. Not saying there is a lack of talent today, just how some of these stars are a disgrace on many levels. Not all are that way, but it seems to be escalating.

Sorry for the wee bit of a rant there. I might be an idiot and know nothing. What my instinct tells me, nothing like getting up out of the easy chair, switch sides of the record and followed by more relaxing sound of vinyl. My two cents here.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 17, 2015 at 12:01:58 am

Herb -

I just did a search on spotify, just to see how some of my favorite, somewhat arcane, music favorites showed up. I was able to find (not in any order of favorites), The Bonzo Dog Band, Lord Buckley, Bill Evans, Charles Lloyd, The Nazz, Love (Arthur Lee), The Pretty Things, Procul Harum (Salty Dog), and several others which I wouldn't have imagined to still exist, other than on vinyl or CD, both of which I have. It looks pretty good out there...but I still own three turntables just in case.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2015 at 2:28:57 am
Last Edited By Gary Huff on May 17, 2015 at 2:29:28 am

[David Mathis] "Besides, nothing like the sweet sound of good old analog, so much better than most of the digital garbage today, being mainly bad singers, inappropriate content such as promoting unscrupulous behavior and Justin Bieber, that person you just cannot stand."

Funny, because, with only the names and tech being changed, your parents' generation said the same thing about your music.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on May 17, 2015 at 3:10:11 am

Everything's amazing, and no one is happy...

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on May 17, 2015 at 4:27:30 am

Lol. That clip sums up beautifully what I was thinking about this thread.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on May 17, 2015 at 4:55:45 pm

I feel your pain. I had a 40 GB classic for many years. After a trip to Europe, I left it on the last leg, BART. So a converted an old iPhone as my portable music. It skipped parts of songs, got tied up in iCloud, doesn't have the nice touch wheel interface to spin through music lists etc. Eventually I got it to work fairly well, but still miss the old classic that did only one thing, but extremely well.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 18, 2015 at 8:46:47 am

Herb, I feel your pain.
Why don't you look at a FiiO X5. Much better feature set than the iPod, higher capacity and also expandable in the future.
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/2

Since iTunes audio doesn`t have DRM anymore all your purchased stuff should work without issues (it handles AAC as well but also does all the loseless formats).

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 19, 2015 at 1:45:48 pm

Dude:

YOU CAN FIX IT.

Ifixit.com carries all the parts to rebuild a Classic, and because they were so large, they are fairly easy to work on. I know because I've fixed 3 or 4 ipods of various model using ifixit parts, their special included tools, and their online illustrated instructions I've replaced batteries, clickwheels, fixed switches, replaced a screen. You can even replace the hard drive.

Like Miracle Max said in The Princess Bride : "MOSTLY dead is still a little bit ALIVE!"

I still have my Classic after all these years (after getting it used off ebay with a dead battery for cheap) and it's great; accompanies me to work every day.

When they announced the end of Classic production, classic prices spiked to as much as or more then the S5 models. It's kinda like owning a Tecnics SL-1200. Why would you give it up, when it just needs a new needle cartridge? :-)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 23, 2015 at 1:59:36 am

[Mark Suszko] "Like Miracle Max said in The Princess Bride : "MOSTLY dead is still a little bit ALIVE!""

Mark wins this thread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]