FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Heading for this forum Needs to change...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Neal
The Heading for this forum Needs to change...
on May 15, 2015 at 6:15:33 am

Sometimes I think this forum should be recalled "FCPX - The Opportunity for Adobe to Exploit"...

Surely its time to simply just call it - Apple FCPX?

Or can we counter-create:

Premiere Pro - FCP7 re-badged or not?
Creative Cloud - Subscription Services suck or not: The Debate

;-)

PPro is a great bit of NLE kit, however this notion that FCPX is "just a toy" needs to be put to bed.

There's a lot of people in the professional space here in Australia for example, that are using it in high-end broadcast - including myself.

I have delivered more than 50 shows of National Broadcast content to Three different TV networks here, all using FCPX.

I agree the UI could do with some enhancements and flexibility. A roles mixer would be very helpful.

I also wish you could export consolidated projects with handles on vision for archival for example, rather than having to XML out to something like primaries exporter. Copying projects to new Libraries should have that option - rather than summarily shoving entire source clips out with it...

However the shining beacon of 'X' is the managing of media in the digital age we live in, as well as the fluidity of the Magnetic Timeline. We often have to re-cut TV Eps for duration for different networks - and the paradigm that FCPX offers is fantastic for this.

OP1a MXF export support came in the nick of time.

Roles is awesome. With one click of a button, be able to export clean vision (sans-GFX) out for compiles or sans-commentary....so cool.

The Timeline index is fantastic for so, so, many reasons to be able to locate clips, apply effects and transitions on specific index queries is just a terrific timesaver.

I chuckled at the mud-slinging at the 3D Text inclusion with 10.2. Its actually a very sound introduction. Like anything, subtlety is key. A nicely constructed 3D Text layout, doesn't compare to a ransom-note Rugs-a-Milliion-Warehouse-style shouting TV commercial smothered in GFX EG:

In closing, more and more young cool kids even here in Oz editing high-end Red Bull promos etc are shooting with Reds, Arris, Flex 4Ks...and editing in FCPX. Fact. Happy to show you who they are.

FCPX is definitely NOT for everyone. But to suggest its just gimmickry... is plain stupid.

Even sillier - is the fact we continue to persist with the forum name here.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: The Heading for this forum Needs to change...
on May 15, 2015 at 6:46:11 am
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on May 15, 2015 at 6:49:58 am

[Dean Neal] "Creative Cloud - Subscription Services suck or not: The Debate"

Here ya go.

re: this forum's name, see here (2013), here (2014), and here (2015) to catch up with the, ahem, debate.

See also every thread here that has a debate in it. The debate-oriented threads are easily identified as, without exception, the threads with the most posts on them. More debates, over a wider range, than ever before.

In any case, for a new name, the same rules apply that have always applied.

• Gotta propose a new name.
  • Group's gotta agree.

And most important:

• Group's gotta agree there's no debate before the name Debate goes away.

• These conditions have yet to be met. If you review the threads above, you'll note that the closest to consensus the group has yet to come is the possibility of adding an "s" to denote "The Debates." No consensus on that either, though.

Hey, maybe this time! However, history suggests that we will once again debate whether or not there's anything to debate, once again establishing that there is in fact plenty to debate.

Nevertheless, I stand at the ready.

Best regards,

Tim Wilson, aka "Julie Your Cruise Director"
    Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
    on May 15, 2015 at 12:44:25 pm

While I recuse "Dennis - Adobe Guy" on the grounds that I'm with a vendor, I'll speak as a member of the community and make just a couple of quick points.

1 - The forum title, "FCPX debate or not" never makes the statement that FCPX is a toy. It is individuals and particular threads that do that. Furthermore and perhaps most importantly, whatever you change the title of the forum to, that point will still be made by some. As someone who has worked with the "toy" NLE Premiere Pro for 10+ years, I can say this, "get over it." You choose your tool, you go to your happy place, you edit and all is good - who cares what other people say?
    2 - As a supporting point, do you notice that Adobe employees never chafe at the Creative Cloud Debate forum? They're employees yet respect the community and their points of view. I would argue that we're all (mostly) grownups and can deal with contrarian points of view. That's what makes the Cow community and this forum in particular, great.

Nothing will change by changing the title of the forum, development of your favorite tools and their perception in the industry will. Again, see Premiere Pro's very long history and bumpy, turning road as an example.

All of THAT said, if people really want to change it, heck - why not?

Dennis - "Cow community guy"

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
    on May 15, 2015 at 1:58:18 pm

To be clear, I welcome any discussion in here regarding FCP X - good or bad... keep em cranking.

FCP X discussion or whatever sounds better.

Its just there is a now substantial collection of people that use FCP X in Television Broadcast and apparently film.

The title of the forum sets the tone in the first place and hence feeds the beast as it were in my opinion...

...and to be fair, then any other creative argument or debate should then have a forum assigned to it is my point.

In truth, my comment about Creative Cloud forums etc. is firmly tongue in cheek.

Yes Apple sucked in its original delivery of FCP X. Agreed. But its foothold is set. Its developed a fair way since them.

Lets move on.

To me, I see a few of the same sewing circle of thread posters here in terms of strident attackers of the software.

It gets a little stale nowadays.

I think we can all list the usual names that seem to thrive on lobbing grenades...and frankly its a pretty small list!

That's fine... but I ask myself, why do they expend so much energy in doing it?

I would rather focus on what techniques or emergent theories or technologies relevant to this software are emerging - for good AND bad.

COW should be that to FCP X, as much to PPro, Avid, Edius, Resolve or anything else.

Bottom line is, rather than having guys like Aindreas coming in here in one of his famous drunk moments, rattling out on meaningless garbage for example (as fun his discussions often are), I would like to see this forum continue its spirited (even passionate or heated) debate on FCP X, but also to use this area as a discussion point to actually grow the product, its understanding and the knowledge base of those who use it.

When I see awesome threads like the one about the early days of NLE development on a MAC, inevitably be railroaded into yet another diatribe about how PPro is real deal and FCP X is crap or whatever...

What it will do, is inevitably see I believe - COW lurkers looking elsewhere for their FCP X learning.

Maybe thats the point I need to take...

Who knows... I thought I would at least ask the question!

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
    on May 15, 2015 at 2:15:56 pm

"The title of the forum sets the tone in the first place and hence feeds the beast as it were in my opinion..."

I agree 100% with this

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
    on May 15, 2015 at 4:36:52 pm
    Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on May 15, 2015 at 10:36:12 pm

The biggest problem that I see Dean is that the forum wasn't created so people could have a debate, the forum was created to put people that were already having the debate in one place. Changing the name or issuing a decree isn't going to stop people from having these conversations, they will just have them elsewhere across the COW then Tim (or someone else at the COW) is going to have to make a new forum and herd all the debaters into that forum.

[Dean Neal] " I would like to see this forum continue its spirited (even passionate or heated) debate on FCP X, but also to use this area as a discussion point to actually grow the product, its understanding and the knowledge base of those who use it."

So lead the way and start threads that focus on that in here. If things get too tangental maybe you can ask Tim to split off any renegade posts into their own thread? Or start those threads in the FCP X Techniques forum for a more homogeneous audience or in the Art of the Edit forum for a less contentious audience.

On more than one occasion Bill has lamented how this forum isn't like all the other X forums and websites he visits and I've always seen that as a good thing. If you want to talk with other X users strictly about X there are a number of well established places on the Internet for that. Why take someplace that, IMO, is rather unique and change it into something that's more run of the mill?

[Dean Neal] "When I see awesome threads like the one about the early days of NLE development on a MAC, inevitably be railroaded into yet another diatribe about how PPro is real deal and FCP X is crap or whatever..."

Minor correction, the thread hijacking got on the fast track when someone basically declared X the best NLE hands down and challenged anyone to present examples to the contrary. Although the hijacking was unfortunate (though foreseeable because we are the masters of branching conversations in here) it did yield some interesting results including a thread about feature request for X (made only by X users) and an upcoming show-and-tell from Jeremy regarding something him and David were discussing.

[Dean Neal] "however this notion that FCPX is "just a toy" needs to be put to bed."

It never will so people need to stop expecting it to happen. Some people always considered FCP Legend a piece of crap, some people will always consider X a piece of crap, some people will always consider PPro a piece of crap, some people will always consider Avid a piece of crap, etc,.. And no, X hasn't not been singled out in this regard, not by a long shot. Uniform acceptance will never happen (how many decades have we lived with Mac vs PC? Chevy vs Ford?) and even threads about using PPro or Avid can get torn down here as quickly as threads about using X.

[Dean Neal] "but I ask myself, why do they expend so much energy in doing it?"

It doesn't matter why and they will keep doing it so all you can do is ignore them. I have my own list of people here that I just won't engage with because it's beyond pointless. Don't feed the trolls, as they say.

[Dennis Radeke] "I guess I already have an answer to my question above since I preemptively addressed it in point #1. Premiere Pro was dismissed as a toy for far more than 4 years."

Around the turn of the century I was a young buck with big dreams and a custom built PC running Premiere 6 (original Premiere, not Pro) with a Matrox RT2500 I/O card. I think even the grinders just offering copy and credit looked down on me for using Premiere (on a PC no less). Needless to say I spent a long time scraping together what money I could so I could buy a Mac and a copy of FCP (3 I think it was). Magically I went from no-good bum to indie artist raging against the machine. ;)

EDIT: Fixed a grammatical error. I'm sure there are more. :/

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
    on May 15, 2015 at 3:16:16 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "1 - The forum title, "FCPX debate or not" never makes the statement that FCPX is a toy. It is individuals and particular threads that do that. "

Dennis,

As someone who took me to task (quite correctly) for the potentially dismissive nature of leaving an "e" off Premiere, I'm a bit surprised at the "this is no big deal" response.

First, the title of the forum is not "FCPX debate or not". It's FCP X or Not, The Debate.

Those two strings of words emphasize VERY different things.

I wonder how sensitive to the topic you might be if you had been showing up on a forum for 4 years where the discussion centers around the PRESUMPTION that there must be very valid reasons NOT to use Premiere?

Just an observation.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
    on May 15, 2015 at 3:59:22 pm

[Bill Davis] "As someone who took me to task (quite correctly) for the potentially dismissive nature of leaving an "e" off Premiere, I'm a bit surprised at the "this is no big deal" response."

I said this was a pet peeve of mine (my own, me alone, IMO, not Adobe etc.) as it is pervasive. Does the spelling of Premiere make any difference of the product, its perception or its success? Absolutely not. Neither does the name of the forum affect the success of a product as you so eloquently attest daily here at the Cow.

[Bill Davis] "
    First, the title of the forum is not "FCPX debate or not". It's FCP X or Not, The Debate. Those two strings of words emphasize VERY different things."

To repeat myself...

Cut'n'paste
    1 - The forum title, "FCPX or Not: the Debate" never makes the statement that FCPX is a toy. It is individuals and particular threads that do that. Furthermore and perhaps most importantly, whatever you change the title of the forum to, that point will still be made by some. As someone who has worked with the "toy" NLE Premiere Pro for 10+ years, I can say this, "get over it." You choose your tool, you go to your happy place, you edit and all is good - who cares what other people say?
    2 - As a supporting point, do you notice that Adobe employees never chafe at the Creative Cloud Debate forum? They're employees yet respect the community and their points of view. I would argue that we're all (mostly) grownups and can deal with contrarian points of view. That's what makes the Cow community and this forum in particular, great.

Nothing will change by changing the title of the forum, development of your favorite tools and their perception in the industry will. Again, see Premiere Pro's very long history and bumpy, turning road as an example.

All of THAT said, if people really want to change it, heck - why not?

end cut'n'paste

I almost have to ask if you read my first response? Maybe start with what is now bold

[Bill Davis] "I wonder how sensitive to the topic you might be if you had been showing up on a forum for 4 years where the discussion centers around the PRESUMPTION that there must be very valid reasons NOT to use Premiere?"

I guess I already have an answer to my question above since I preemptively addressed it in point #1. Premiere Pro was dismissed as a toy for far more than 4 years.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
    on May 15, 2015 at 4:38:02 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "1 - The forum title, "FCPX or Not: the Debate" never makes the statement that FCPX is a toy. It is individuals and particular threads that do that."

Very well put Dennis.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
    on May 15, 2015 at 5:02:53 pm

Well said! I really do appreciate your contribution, Dennis. Might not always agree with you but do my best to do so in a respectful manner. Please continue your excellent work and I look forward, as always, to your words of wisdom. If you have a moment, I would like some assistance in joining Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
    on May 15, 2015 at 9:05:04 pm

Hi Dennis...

on a non debate subject, when can we download the latest Premiere Pro and other creative cloud goodness updates mentioned at NAB?

Andy Field
    FieldVision Productions
    N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
    on May 16, 2015 at 11:51:58 am

Yeah, can't say...

Return to posts index

Mateusz Duzinkiewicz
    on May 18, 2015 at 5:45:06 pm

Can you give me some email for forum admin? My posts are suddenly moderated and it never happened before?

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
    on May 15, 2015 at 8:24:55 am

Thank you! Hear, hear.

I cringe at the title of this forum. Long overdue.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
    on May 15, 2015 at 11:48:17 am
    Last Edited By David Mathis on May 15, 2015 at 12:13:53 pm

Your post is spot on! Speaking only for myself, in complete agreement with this forum and the Adobe forum as well. One other thing I would like to see is cows rather than the +1 or whatever the number is for a like and a empty milk bottle for a vote in the opposite direction. Crazy, to be sure, but just a mere suggestion.

As for more graphics, every cable news has that annoying thing at the bottom with other news. You almost have to be an expert multitasker to keep up! Also, same thing with proffesional sports.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
    on May 15, 2015 at 11:59:38 am

If it has to be changed how about "Apple FCPX Discussion" to go with "Apple FCPX Techniques"

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
    on May 19, 2015 at 11:00:48 am

[Steve Connor] "If it has to be changed how about "Apple FCPX Discussion""

Why have FCPX in it al all? I mean, I think Premiere is really a slow, old, poor product that seemingly has no hope of crawling out of it's smoking crater of suck in this century (a tip of the cap to you, Aindreas! No pub involved.), so why argue that in an FCPX Discussion board? Let's just call it "The Great Debate Forum". Let's not even limit the debate to NLE's (which we rarely do).

;-)

Actually, I use Premiere for some clients and it doesn't suck all that bad. Plus it's slower, so on the by-the-hour jobs it can be more lucrative.

...kidding folks....

Scott Witthaus
    Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
    1708 Inc./Editorial
    Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
    on May 19, 2015 at 6:21:30 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Actually, I use Premiere for some clients and it doesn't suck all that bad. Plus it's slower, so on the by-the-hour jobs it can be more lucrative."

Scott, are you ready yet to talk about your experience of Premiere relative to FCPX?

I keep meaning to make time to get back up to speed on Premiere, but the corporate work I am doing currently specifies FCPX and I have not had time.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
    on May 15, 2015 at 2:31:31 pm

"empty milk bottle".... how about a "cow pie"?

Return to posts index

James Patterson
    on May 15, 2015 at 3:53:08 pm

To me the title still seems right as that is still the view in London (where I work). I know a lot has been said about the BBC using X for news but I am yet to work in a post house or creative agency that is using it. And the overriding view still seems to be (rightly or wrongly) that it's not a professional tool.

Another good thing about the forum name is that it stokes passion and I find it great to read when someone posts X can't do xyz and some vehemently defends X and shows them how to do it. If it was just FCP the discussion things would just turn boring, just look at us over at the Avid forum ;)

Best

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
    on May 15, 2015 at 7:00:12 pm

[Dean Neal] "Surely its time to simply just call it - Apple FCPX?"

The title of this forum isn't relevant anymore. But a more accurate name would be "which NLE do you prefer," which isn't as controversial or dramatic as the current name. And the folks at creative cow know that in order to keep folks coming back here they need to create some drama even if it is fictional at this point. No different than any film or TV show; a more accurate analogy in this case would be a reality TV show.

I do find some of the more informed discussion of NLEs interesting which is why I keep coming back here. I just try to ignore the more ignorant opinions about FCPX, and the incorrect title.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
    on May 15, 2015 at 8:29:15 pm

[James Culbertson] "But a more accurate name would be "which NLE do you prefer," which isn't as controversial or dramatic as the current name."

Exactly.

Scott Witthaus
    1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
    on May 15, 2015 at 10:50:37 pm
    Last Edited By Michael Gissing on May 15, 2015 at 10:57:45 pm

When the regular contributors to this forum ask for a name change then I am sure Tim will take notice. I think the past couple of requests have come from first time posters to this forum.

The title has a certain historic significance. It will need more than one or two new poster to move that inertia. Software gets better, the debate rolls on. Just bookmark the page and add your own title to the bookmark.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
    on May 15, 2015 at 11:25:24 pm

[Michael Gissing] "The title has a certain historic significance. It will need more than one or two new poster to move that inertia. Software gets better, the debate rolls on. Just bookmark the page and add your own title to the bookmark."

Exactly.

Still plenty to debate and who knows what the future will bring. The name is perfect!

p.s. welcome new poster! :)

publicmattersgroup.com
    http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
    facebook.com/dlawrence
    twitter.com/dhl
    vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
    on May 16, 2015 at 12:08:09 am

minor rant - but this is stupid though right?

any modern VA editing system that has modes, the manipulation keyframe timeline, and god knows what else growing out of every clip like an elephantiasis tumor top hat is maybe not completely on the money yes? And then there's the square tomato colour wheel. Surely the thing is that X is so insanely moronic in so many odd ways.

to get a proper colour corrector in X you have to float the window or have the plug in GUI interfere with the scopes. X feels so weirdly determined by its physical shape. And apparently apple are loathe to alter it. so you have a grey strip with the most ridiculous timecode reader god ever invented. maybe there is a floating timecode reader now.

tens of thousands of editors are going to land on apple, out in the world, with both feet, for X, until the sun goes cold. Apple went up their own ass on simplicity, rigidity and the in house hothouse, some people followed them. Also have they successfully split temporal and spatial smoothing options there in the last release because I'm not totally sure. Just take a moment and look at that keyframe system architecture.

No, I'm really not joking you. Seriously - try and look at it steadily for more than ten seconds.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
    on May 16, 2015 at 12:13:06 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "No, I'm really not joking you. Seriously - try and look at it steadily for more than ten seconds."

LOLLOLOLOL!!!

Yep, nothing left to debate! :D

publicmattersgroup.com
    http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
    facebook.com/dlawrence
    twitter.com/dhl
    vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
    on May 16, 2015 at 1:27:54 am

yep.

as long as there is space and time for died in the wool former FCP7 infantry to repeatedly headbutt the very soul and mind of FCPX this forum will never die.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
    on May 16, 2015 at 1:29:52 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "as long as there is space and time for died in the wool former FCP7 infantry to repeatedly headbutt the very soul and mind of FCPX this forum will never die."

Do you miss FCP7? When's the last time you used it?

Walter Soyka
    Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
    Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
    @keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
    on May 16, 2015 at 1:48:51 am
    Last Edited By Aindreas Gallagher on May 16, 2015 at 1:55:52 am

I haven't opened 7 in six months. X is just the most wilfully insane stupid thing anyone has ever seen.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
    on May 16, 2015 at 12:28:12 pm

I wonder if the number of X installations has passed Premiere? You could be a dinosaur in the making, Aindreas!

;-)

Scott Witthaus
    1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
    on May 16, 2015 at 3:19:48 pm

There are still a lot of us keyframeosauruses out there!

Walter Soyka
    Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
    Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
    @keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
    on May 16, 2015 at 2:00:24 am

[Walter Soyka] "Do you miss FCP7? When's the last time you used it?"

It's the Creative Cloud talking. Once Aindreas gave in and accepted Adobe's sweet, sweet nectar he became a changed man. A somehow slightly more crazy, slightly more insane version of his former self. ;)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
    on May 16, 2015 at 2:08:08 am
    Last Edited By Aindreas Gallagher on May 16, 2015 at 2:15:36 am

come on. the keyframing is a looney mushroom out of the clip. For god's sake look at it. If you scroll the timeline, it's bye bye to keyframes.

your keyframe apparatus may sit squashed under attached clips. am I seriously the only person here?

ok rant over and away - but the keyframing is barking

Return to posts index

David Mathis
    on May 16, 2015 at 4:30:39 pm

I think that very sweet nectar has fermented it time. I am going to avoid it, somehow alcohol and posting on the COW is not a god mix. :-)

One thing is for sure, if those keyframes are a loony mushroom or start barking, time for serious professional help!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
    on May 16, 2015 at 10:54:11 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "any modern VA editing system that has modes, the manipulation keyframe timeline, and god knows what else growing out of every clip like an elephantiasis tumor top hat is maybe not completely on the money yes? And then there's the square tomato colour wheel. Surely the thing is that X is so insanely moronic in so many odd ways.

to get a proper colour corrector in X you have to float the window or have the plug in GUI interfere with the scopes. X feels so weirdly determined by its physical shape. And apparently apple are loathe to alter it. so you have a grey strip with the most ridiculous timecode reader god ever invented. maybe there is a floating timecode reader now.

tens of thousands of editors are going to land on apple, out in the world, with both feet, for X, until the sun goes cold. Apple went up their own ass on simplicity, rigidity and the in house hothouse, some people followed them. Also have they successfully split temporal and spatial smoothing options there in the last release because I'm not totally sure. Just take a moment and look at that keyframe system architecture.

No, I'm really not joking you. Seriously - try and look at it steadily for more than ten seconds.
    "

You're funny

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
    on May 16, 2015 at 2:13:13 am

I have been a COW Member since 2010.

Just because I haven't posted lots, doesn't mean I haven't been on this forum's journey since the start.

Some good points on the backdrop on the creation of this forum, fair call...

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]