FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quotes on FCPX from a guy who worked on FCP at apple for six years.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Quotes on FCPX from a guy who worked on FCP at apple for six years.
on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:25:59 am

"Apple doesn't care about the pro space"

"The pro market is too small for Apple to care about it. Instead of trying to get hundreds or even thousands of video professionals to buy new Macs, they can nail the pro-sumer market and sell to hundreds of thousands of hobbyists like me."

"I know how to use Final Cut Pro because I worked on it for 6 years, but for most people it's just too complex."

"things changed in 2006 and 2007. Serious competitors to Final Cut Pro came from Adobe, Pinnacle, Sony, and others. People were choosing their hardware and software based on format support, or specific features they needed. That's boring. Apple doesn't play that game."

http://sachin.posterous.com/why-apple-built-final-cut-pro-x
His name is Sachin Agarwal and he's now CEO of postereous.

So. there you go - that was fun wasn't it? Who are these guys? Seriously - what the hell is Apple? What are they here for? Why are we as professional creatives buying their hardware and software? They gobble up 50% of the professional editing market - and then spit the whole thing out because they got bored?

I'll say it again to the seasoned, gnomic, yoda like people - I'm not afraid of change: I was trained in print design, moved into motion design, moved into editing, moved jobs and did a station launch as a promo producer, and now I'm freelance sort of short form editor with grading and motion graphics plopped on top.
I'm Not. Afraid. Of. Change.

Frankly I'm sort of afraid of Apple. Seriously - Who the hell are these guys?
Who let them into the house?

Who are these guys?

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: Quotes on FCPX from a guy who worked on FCP at apple for six years.
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:32:20 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Apple. Seriously - Who the hell are these guys?"
Hi
Apple has an expert on video - what he doesn't know is not worth knowing...
"Actually, all of the new HD camcorders of the past few years use USB 2."
http://images.worldofapple.com/jobsemail081016.jpg
http://gigaom.com/apple/camcorders-and-usb-is-steve-jobs-right/

"Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent.
It clears out the old to make way for the new. ...you will gradually become the old and be cleared away.

Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want ..."

Steve Jobs 2005

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:40:37 pm

[Paul Dickin] "They somehow already know what you truly want .."

ok. I want to throw a brick at cupertino, and then I want to learn premiere.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Mike Stroven
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:13:22 pm

[Paul Dickin] "Apple has an expert on video - what he doesn't know is not worth knowing..."

That's a *BOLD* statement! I guess this "expert" wasn't there when they decided that the 24fps rate for NTSC video was 23.98 instead of the actual pull-down NTSC video rate is 23.976... Then, they botched all the gamma transformations back and forth from still-image RGB colorspaces and "assumed" everything to have a gamma of 1.0 regardless of its source. In fact, if this mysterious "expert" isn't named Charles Poynton, Keith Jack, or Don Craig, then it's certain Apple's expert could still stand to learn a bit more...

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:27:52 pm

[Mike Stroven] "That's a *BOLD* statement! I guess this "expert" wasn't there..."
Nah!
He's moved on to creating the Cloud, and designing a new mothership glass HQ building for Apple.
/LostInTranslation ;-)

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Jul 2, 2011 at 1:21:26 am

Mike Stroven: "I guess this "expert" wasn't there when they decided that the 24fps rate for NTSC video was 23.98 instead of the actual pull-down NTSC video rate is 23.976"

It's actually 24/1.001. It's just a case of where you decide to round it.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:41:30 pm

Seems like Apple's attitude with FCPX is lot like their attitude toward the iPad an iPhone in the enterprise space. They'll make it generally capable and (they hope) desirable by users, and let third parties do the dirty work of making it suit enterprise IT. The difference is that corporate users definitely desire an iPhone or iPad, but it is looking like not many working video pros desire to use FCPX. The new features that were supposed to appeal to the user have mostly alienated the pro users.

I actually like the new paradigm in FCPX, but will enough others? Will the third parties see a market to fill in the gaps? Only time will tell, but the market for such niche third party add-ons to FCPX seems to be shrinking by the day. Will AJA/Blackmagic/Matrox/Automatic Duck/etc. hang around to take FCPX the rest of the way to viability as a replacement for FCP7? Blackmagic sure looks like they are trying to be a platform and not an accessory. AJA could become the tape I/O kings of FCPX world if they wanted to. It is impossible to predict how the next 18 months will actually play out.

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:15:17 pm

I personally believe fun is what it is in it for Apple and never had any issue with it. Fun is why they made so many great products and why there were so many casualties along the way. I always new Apple would drop FCP as soon as it isn't fun for them to develop it any more and was surprised it so long. I'm glad FCP was around for over a decade but always new there is going to be an Ugly Tuesday one day.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 8:54:00 pm

I make my living as an editor and on FCS. Sure, I am disappointed, but really like FCP X and have seen tremendous benefits in my workflow and for my job's near-term projects. I don't think that Apple is abandoning the pro. In fact, I have a problem with that term as I think it's a subjective and inconsistent in use. Perhaps Apple is reimagining what that pro (which includes prosumer) editorial space is and making the change now as it projects it's software and hardware goals in the coming years.

As for people jumping ship - it's going to happen without a doubt. Always does and always will as people don't want to accept change and the methods/motives behind it. I believe Apple will make up for those it loses in grand number and FCPX will be a trojan horse app in the long run in the way the iphone and iPad have been. It's been said that the big companies and studios and such will be the only home for pros (in paraphrase) , but as with iphones and iPads, when the vast numbers of people using FCPX and subsequent iterations, it's vast array of third party hooks, and the hardware that people will certainly want, I think it will be the business that will have to cave in to the populous to a certain (not necessarily total) extent. We're seeing that now. The iPhone and iPad has infiltrated business and IT departments where people thought it never would or could because they've become excellent personal devices and business devices. Not necessarily the best, but the preferred. FCP 1-7 had the same affect actually.

Believe me, FCPX did not meet my expectations, but in many ways it exceeded them and gave me a new way to perceive how I leverage information in my editorial workflow. Aside from learning new key commands, this version of FCP is akin to how I felt about Motion when it first came out - I could just work and not have the software in my face so much. I could play and experiment more and focus more on the creativity.

My FCP 7 still works. My Multibridge Pro 2 still works. I am not jumping ship just yet. I am admittedly hopeful and yet still wary of what my or may not come. Though with the power of computers these days, the sophistication of even simple AV and imaging tools, and general accessibility of communication tools and of course the internet, it's increasingly hard for studios to compete with a competent person or persons with their own gear and Apple knows this. Studios of many sizes have already downsized and closed for this very reason.

I like to think that's there's "pros" in many spaces of content creation. As technology levels the playing field even further and will continue to do so, FCP X on it's own doesn't need to be everything, but it Should be accessible to all these spaces via third party hooks. Think of it like iphone/iPad apps. Who would have thought that having mega applications on our desktops that do so much would be trickle down to having simple apps that just do specific things we need done and do it well.

Part of what I love about this industry is that it's constantly changing. That's what makes it fun. That what keeps me learning. Don't get me wrong, I've been looking at that Pr icon in my production suite with an itchy finger, but just out of curiosity to see what other's are talking about. I am having more fun learning FCPX cause it's new and shiny and stuff!

Tangier

Tangier

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:17:48 pm

Several good points posted here and in related threads. Nice to know there’s some counterpoint to this nastiness that’s rampant in the last ten days and will likely continue for perhaps a few months. Of course this first iteration is not a replacement for FCP 7 for everyone, but if the naysayers are taking the time to read the posts that are extolling some of the virtues of FCP X, some may have second thoughts and continue to use FCP 7 where needed until FCP X release 10.2 for example. I’d certainly wait a few weeks from the release date to see the impact of Mac OS X 10.7 just in case the lion really roars. I’ve read many early complaints that were simply incorrect and demonstrated a lack of understanding of FCP X’s methods and techniques. Now we’re seeing more tips and people taking the time to see if they can adapt the tool to fit their needs. True, it’s not ready for everyone yet, but we’re seeing that it may not be the disaster as portrayed.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Boris Jansch
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:41:54 pm

Hi Andreas, just checked in to see if you were still mouthing off at FCPX.

I've been using it since its first incarnation, which despite the fun magnetic stuff, was full of bugs and not much use to anyone. That's all very different now and unless you've been using it for any amount of time I'm not sure you are any longer in a position to criticise. It does all the important stuff, it's fun to edit on, it's powerful and I just cut five 4k films on my 2010 imac using the proxy file option, which worked perfectly with hardly any noticeable loss of picture quality - used my proxy files to grade because they looked so great and then switched to the original footage with a click of the mouse, KABOOOM!

All NLEs have their particular idiosyncrasies but the only one with the magnetic timeline that I know of is FCPX and the thought of reverting to Premier, Avid or any other platform makes my stomach turnover.

I'm sure you're not afraid of change but continually putting down FCPX when so many 'professionals' including myself are very happy indeed using it is just tiresome. Editing is fun now (if you put the time in) and when it clicks and you get over the old way of working, it's as revolutionary as the recognition that THERE IS NO OTHER (as in God, higher being etc).

FCP, Avid, Premier all good, but this is FCPX.

Many thanks,

Boris J.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]