FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey David... Here's a track-less DAW :-)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Hey David... Here's a track-less DAW :-)
on May 4, 2015 at 8:47:36 pm

I have no idea what this thing does, but it looks very... uh, futuristic. :-)

https://www.zhdk.ch/fileadmin/data_subsites/data_icst/Forschung/Choreograph...

Download it here: https://www.zhdk.ch/index.php?id=icst_choreographer

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: Hey David... Here's a track-less DAW :-)
on May 4, 2015 at 9:13:04 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I have no idea what this thing does, but it looks very... uh, futuristic. :-)"

Thanks Charlie!

It looks very cool. From what I gather it's designed for creating spatialized audio. Instead of tracks they have a open, free-form workspace and grouping functions to keep audio clips together and organized. It's free and works in OSX so I've downloaded it and will give a a try when I get some time.

I don't think its UI will be replacing ProTools anytime soon. ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 4, 2015 at 10:57:20 pm

[David Lawrence] "It looks very cool. From what I gather it's designed for creating spatialized audio."

That's what i gathered, kind of hyper-realistic surround? I DL'd it too but haven't messed with it. Interested to hear what you can do with it.

[David Lawrence] "I don't think its UI will be replacing ProTools anytime soon. ;)
"

Probably not, though PT has had a head start... ;-)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 4, 2015 at 10:09:23 pm

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing this. Never thought I would see a DAW taking on the personality of X, this looks worth taking a serious look at. I am with David on this, doubt it will have any large effect on ProTools, but anything can happen.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2015 at 1:15:18 am

Clearly designed for Ambisonic encoded sound environments. This is a phase encoding that allows playback over a variable number of speakers in a sound installation. However the layout is interesting in that it doesn't bother with tracks. This is because it doesn't seem to be supporting anything other than direct pan & level control over individual clips to a single output. That is why it doesn't need tracks, because it is a purely clip based process and doesn't need to feed to bussing or have any stem splits for mixing.

Post with video however... This would not be a very easy interface to deal with. How to separate mix stems, signal processing beyond just clip level? I can see it has a specific use and because it doesn't need traditional track & buss signal patching it can afford to do away with tracks in the traditional sense. You would need to introduce Roles with separate outputs and signal processing to be vaguely useful in video post audio.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 5, 2015 at 1:48:13 am

[Michael Gissing] "Clearly designed for Ambisonic encoded sound environments."

Where would such a thing exist?

[Michael Gissing] "Post with video however... This would not be a very easy interface to deal with."

Agree, I just found it interesting. :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2015 at 1:56:27 am

Ambisonics is used in sound installations like museums. It supports a spatial encoding that allows decoding to any number of defined speakers. So basically phase relationships define a 3D space. So panned signals in a 3D space are phase encoded and can be decoded. It works on headphones to some extent.

Art installations could also potentially use it. The advantage is a 3d space can be created with a variable number of speakers. Obviously you would need a few to create a 2D space an also overheads to create 3D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]