FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speaking of History...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Speaking of History...
on May 4, 2015 at 6:37:22 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 4, 2015 at 6:58:03 am

Inspired by Davids great post below, I hunted down some info about the DAW I used to use when I started my former mixing career. I present it here to illustrate how things have changed. The Otari ProDisc 464. A nice, 8 track rig started at $56,000. and filled 4-5 full height rack spaces. Other than I/O options and ability to chase timecode, Garage Band, free on my phone, blows it away.

And now... this 4.99 app will record field audio from Sennheiser mics on your iPhone, controlled by your Apple Watch. Add Keywords and Roles and export fcpxml to FCP X via DropBox. :-0

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Speaking of History...
on May 4, 2015 at 11:22:21 pm

Should be called iRecord and iMic, respectively. Amazing what the iPhone can do for you.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 4, 2015 at 11:57:28 pm

[David Mathis] "Should be called iRecord and iMic, respectively. Amazing what the iPhone can do for you."

It's pretty iAwesome. Gave it a try today, recorded a couple takes, added Roles and Markers, exported to Dropbox, imported into FCP X, and it was all nicely marked up for me.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 5, 2015 at 12:04:23 am

Thank you. Just acquired a Super 8 camera so going to give this a spin. Would also be a great companion with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, glad to see low cost solutions such as this.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 5, 2015 at 12:59:13 am

[David Mathis] "glad to see low cost solutions such as this."

It's free, but only records 60 seconds until "unlocked" for 4.99. Though if you have an Apogee or Sennheiser mic it unlocks for free (until the next version update) when you plug it in. I did that, but I'm gonna buy it, it's worth the $$ IMO...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2015 at 1:25:35 am

I don't think I have any pictures (pity) but in the mid 1980s I developed a multi machine PCM audio suite to tracklay and mix sound in the digital domain. It had 9 video decks all controlled by timecode locked syncronisers and chasing a 2 track DASH recorder. So basically I had picture and 8 Umatics decks with PCM encoder/decoders all sync locked. I was using video editing software to edit the audio as a video signal (the PCM encoder converted stereo audio to a video signal).

This all started after I used a portable PCM encoder (Sony F1) with a betamax video recorder to record, edit a mix a documentary in the second half of 1984. The producer claimed it was the first film in the world to have a digital recorded and edit/mixed sound track.

Mixing the sixteen tracks was through an Amek analogue mixer then into the DASH machine where I could do automated punch in and out edits when I mixed. This was before digital mixers appeared but when they did I bought all the early Yamaha digital mixers and then transitioned to multi 8 track digital tape machines interlocked before getting my first DAW - a dSP 8 track.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 5, 2015 at 1:43:35 am

[Michael Gissing] "So basically I had picture and 8 Umatics decks with PCM encoder/decoders all sync locked. I was using video editing software to edit the audio as a video signal (the PCM encoder converted stereo audio to a video signal).
"

OK Michael, you win. :-) lol

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2015 at 1:51:54 am

It was wild but all the machines could lock and play audio in 5 seconds. The genius behind all this was Tony Dummett, a fantastic coder who gave me the best machine synchronizers ever. He was allowing crazy things like sync lock to the sub bits level (1/80th of a frame) and even crazy things like programable vari speeds.

It all seems ho hum now with the power of non destructive DAWs and NLE but it also makes me scratch my head when NLEs in particular have given such primitive audio tools in the past.This was all I could do thirty years ago to have multi track digital audio synced to picture. It was vey much modeled on the mag dubbers.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 5, 2015 at 2:59:19 am

[Michael Gissing] "This was all I could do thirty years ago to have multi track digital audio synced to picture. It was vey much modeled on the mag dubbers."

Place I worked at was one of the first to get film projectors, mag dubbers, multitrack tape machines, video, and eventually the Otari DAW to sync. Worked really well, but you had to be careful about hitting replay too quickly. And being in the room with the mag machines during a mix was kind of terrifying. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]