FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Performance significantly improved for me in 10.2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
FCPX Performance significantly improved for me in 10.2
on Apr 26, 2015 at 4:40:23 pm

I've been editing on 10.2 for a while now and it is considerably faster, waveform redraw is much better as is filmstrip view. I've got a long running project with over 2000 clips that was getting painful to edit in before but it's now usable again!

Well done to the Apple FCPX team!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX Performance significantly improved for me in 10.2
on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:06:51 am

Yup- waveform redraw is definitely a major perf enhancement on top of all the new workflow and feature stuff.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:33:18 am

We see the same.
We see Waveforms a lot faster on long clips, and performance on a network has greatly improved. Especially JKL-scrolling fast now goes without dropped frames as it sometimes used to do on network storage.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 27, 2015 at 9:31:33 am

I'm on a 27" late 2012 - 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 - GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB with 32 GB of Ram and 10.2 is working just fine. Everything just seems far more responsive a bit like my car after a big service.

My core activity is editing C300 native files within a single stream ProRes 422 timeline. I've found the integration between Color and Color Finale (which I primarily use to apply LUTs) really smooth. I keep on thinking I'm going to fire up Resolve and learn how to use it but find I can do a heck of a lot within FCPX.

I have been thinking about getting the 27"5K Retina iMac and wonder how 10.2 is running on that?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 27, 2015 at 12:05:35 pm

I'm on the same machine and don't notice much difference if any. Just as laggy as ever with complex timelines. But with simple timelines like yours, I had zero problems before. I'm utilizing templates from Motion quite a bit and it still sucks the RAM up as much as ever and starts getting laggy.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:33:57 pm

Overall, it's a bit snappier. I still see delays sometimes where it seems to need time to catch up to what I've selected or where I've clicked to move the playback position. Considering I have a maxed out 8-core nMP that is still a bit surprising. WF redraw does seem improved.

I have seen a small bug, where when separating audio from video the waveforms don't appear until I either zoom in or zoom out the timeline. Not a deal breaker, just don't remember seeing that before...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:37:04 pm

Perhaps the biggest performance gains are on the older systems?

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:47:27 pm

As always performance is very much down to individual machines, ram, no of plugins, the type of files one is dealing with and the length of the piece you are cutting. but the difference between the performance of this update is, for me, the best since this FCPX story began. And performance, spinning balls, crashes, dumping preferences were just a part of the working day. Sometimes it was a real struggle to get a simple edit off the system.

And remember the event browser and the projects being different animals?

Return to posts index

Chuck Pelini
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:19:38 pm

"Perhaps the biggest performance gains are on the older systems?"

Not so much. My 2009 Mac Pro has really slowed down when using basic text.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:40:20 pm

All was good until 3D text on older, cheese grater, Mac Pro comes into play. Then the beach ball from hell shows up. At least on the Motion side, somewhat slow render time in X appears as well. Must be needing more memory or the shiny tube model.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:22:27 pm

[David Mathis] "Must be needing more memory or the shiny tube model."

No, just a suitable GPU... which a shiny tube would of course give you... x2. Anything under 1GB is a no-go either way.

- RK

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on May 1, 2015 at 3:22:12 pm

Im on an early 2008 MacPro with an ATI 5770 with a clean instal of Yosemite and 10.2 and it feels like a new machine.

I know the clean instal helps but I a surprised at how much faster both FCP and Motion are now. I was worried the 3d text would be to painfully slow to be useful, but it works great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]