FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe bids for The Foundry

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Santiago Martí
Adobe bids for The Foundry
on Apr 26, 2015 at 2:43:47 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/privateequi...

Well, that's it.

Santiago Martí
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar
Red One M-X, Red Epic X waiting for Dragon update, Red Pro Primes, Adobe CC, Assimilate Scratch

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Adobe bids for The Foundry
on Apr 26, 2015 at 4:37:22 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Apr 26, 2015 at 4:38:51 pm

As much as I like Adobe, I'm not sure I like where this might be headed. I've been thinking for a while that the future of post production software was going to be subscription or subsidy; purchase a subscription from a large software company, or get inexpensive (or free) applications from hardware companies which can subsidize development costs. If I'm right, I don't think this will be good for consumers or small developers in the long run. Hopefully, I'm not right.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 26, 2015 at 4:50:36 pm

I was hoping AJA would acquire The Foundry not Adobe. I am concerned over this move as well. At least Fusion won't drain your wallet completely empty. Adobe should consider making hardware then perhaps the rental only fiasco would stop or at least slow down. My two cents.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 26, 2015 at 5:08:33 pm

Dave,

Unlike ever other NLE manufacturer, including Avid, Apple, Sony, Blackmagic, Grass Valley, etc., Adobe is a software ONLY company, and they have never manufactured hardware. Why would they change that now, and what in your opinion would that achieve?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 26, 2015 at 5:14:20 pm

[David Mathis] "
I was hoping AJA would acquire The Foundry not Adobe. I am concerned over this move as well. At least Fusion won't drain your wallet completely empty. Adobe should consider making hardware then perhaps the rental only fiasco would stop or at least slow down. My two cents."

I guess I see it differently. I don't think it's necessarily a good thing that hardware companies can give premium software away for little or nothing. Maybe a free version of Fusion won't drain your wallet, but what's the incentive for a hungry young start up to launch a competing product? In truth, I'm not against subscription software or hardware companies developing software. What (IMO) is bad for consumers is a landscape in which smaller developers can't compete with very high quality products that cost next to nothing to purchase.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 26, 2015 at 7:15:36 pm

I have nothing against renting software but when there is not a clear exit strategy I am reluctant to subscribe. Nothing personal just a business model that I respectfully disagree with at the moment. In the event Adobe has some type of buyout option I will consider changing my position.

With that said, intersted to see what Adobe has planned. Will be interesting in a very good way.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 27, 2015 at 1:52:02 am

I find it interesting that Carlyle had to hire another firm to "drum up interest".

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:52:30 am

I guess its a little of many things like:

buyingout a competitor, buying and getting all the tecnology and putting it into adobe or some newer higher end fx app. perhaps the bm purchase of fusion could have them scared.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 27, 2015 at 9:13:53 am

Blackmagic makes this sort of thing look easy. And hey, Nuke doesn't look much different than Fusion, right? You click it, it opens, right? No big deal.

The difference is that this sale is proposed in the $200-300 million range, with nearly 400 employees. Compare AJA for example, with only 200+ employees. This is the definition of a big deal.

It happens that I talked about this very scenario back in December, when Carlyle first announced that The Foundry is for sale. I talked about it at ridiculous length, which I'll summarize here.

I concluded that Adobe is the only realistic buyer.

Before I begin, two typical caveats:

1) I'm speaking solely for myself, and;

2) I'm an idiot. Few things would surprise me less than being wrong about major particulars in this.

But the major-est particular so far appears right on target.

Now then....

Another investment group won't buy The Foundry. Carlyle's asking price is triple what they paid for it just three years ago!!! It's not a BETTER deal 3 years later at 3X the price. Every investment group that passed before is passing again.

Can't be AJA or BMD. That December post has a lot of very carefully reasoned points, but the big one that I failed to include: They would have to pay cash..

Why? They're both private! They have no stock to offer!

I admire both of these companies immensely. I also think we can agree that there's no point betting on the limits of BMD's acquisitive ambition. But it seems unlikely that either company has a few hundred million dollars in cash laying around.

Autodesk is out. Again, see my December post for a long and reasoned summary, but here's what takes them completely off the table for me: a $250 million deal in the architecture space in February, I think the biggest in their company history. Feels soon to do another of such a similar scale.

(For reference, the last 9-figure Autodesk deal I can recall before this: $197m for Alias in 2006. Most are much, much smaller, such as $35 million for Softimage in 2008.)

I admit that I'd kept sniffing for Autodesk out of the corner of my nose, because they were the only other ones even theoretically in the game. That February deal is the one that reinforced my first impression, though. Not a chance I think.

Here's the speedy summary of why I think Adobe is the best fit, and maybe the only realistic fit.

Adobe has the dough. Adobe also has the financial and structural resources to quickly take on another three or four hundred employees. Don't underestimate the importance of that.

(Which also serves to emphasize the unlikelihood that Autodesk can take on 400-ish people so quickly after their last deal.)

Also, Adobe can likely pull off whatever stock / cash mix Carlyle is looking for. Macromedia was an all-stock deal, and haters gonna hate, but Adobe's stock has been a big mover in same span that Carlyle has held The Foundry. Maybe Carlyle is looking for discounted stock.

Adobe also has cash. They paid $800m cash for Fotolia in December, although, again, this might disincline them to drop another 9-figure deal again so soon....

...but whatever the mix that Carlyle is looking for, a deal on this scale by no means appears to be a stretch for Adobe.

Perfect workflow fit. Adobe is clearly doing more than just a suite in our space. I have no idea what wonders for the world beyond ours may be hidden in The Foundry's products, technology, or people, so I think we are ill-advised to focus solely on what this deal means for M&E...

...but ima do it anyway. LOL

After Effects in feature production is regularly used as a feeder to Nuke. Not exclusively, but the prospect of tightening up the workflow from Premiere (or, with Adobe's new offerings even pre-Premiere) through After Effects all the way through Nuke has to have them drooling.

There are other people who can stake a legit claim for reaching from editorial to finishing...but virtually all of those projects still touch After Effects and Nuke at some point. Add that to the primary goal of Adobe expanding its own end-to-end pipeline, and this is a workflow nerd's dream come true.

[Scott Witthaus] "I find it interesting that Carlyle had to hire another firm to "drum up interest"."

Dang right they did.

I noted in December that the fact that any of us know any of this is highly suspicious. Deals this size are announced to morons like me AFTER they're made. And why has the £150m - £200m figure, or the story around it, not changed? Lazy reporting? Wishful thinking on Carlyle's part? None of this is looking good.

One thing that jumps out at me in this new article that I hadn't seen in December coverage: The Foundry is making only £10m/year??? And Carlyle wants to sell for £150m - £200m???

Adobe seeing an opportunity for synergy is one thing. It could easily entice them into paying a higher-than-usual multiple. The 15-20x that Carlyle is asking, though?

I'm betting the under.

In fact, my guess is that, with no major rival, Adobe is exerting considerable downward pressure on the price. Carlyle hasn't found the lever to press back, so they hired someone to help beat the bushes for another well-heeled, sympatico suitor.

Sad trombone sound. LOL I could have saved them a lot of time and money.

There are also many, many things we didn't know in December that we still don't know. On the seller's side alone: why does Carlyle think they've tripled the value of The Foundry in 3 years, why are they selling now, how badly do they need the money, etc.

Noting again that I'm skipping a lot of the lengthier points I made in December, it seems less likely than ever that there's even one more major suitor besides Adobe.

Noting again that I also have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. I'm just ruminating the way cows do, so watch where you step.

Anyway, I loved this deal in December, and I love it even more this spring.

I hope it happens, not just because it'd make me right, but because I'm a fan of Adobe, I'm a fan of Nuke, I'm a fan of ever-juicier workflow goodness, and I'm a fan of deals like this that swing for the fences.

Although who'm I kidding? I mostly just want to be right. LOL

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:12:26 pm

Nice analysis Tim!

What strikes me about the extremely high valuation the Carlisle Group is placing on Nuke is that they are not only up against Blackmagic, they are up against BM's model of giving away the software either for free, or for close to free. For example, Resolve Lite is free, the paid version is just $1000 - Fusion 7 is free, Fusion Studio is just $995.

While Adobe can certainly afford to pay the asking price for Nuke, and could even afford to eat that by killing the product if they determine Nuke is either not a fit, or somehow hurts their After Effects business, it seems to me they'd only buy Nuke if they truly intend to develop it further. And, that sounds like it could be a race against BM to the bottom, which BM usually tends to win.

Just for the record, by saying BM wins the race to the bottom, I'm not saying they produce crap - far from that, they just tend to use their acquisitions to enhance their huge product line, which spreads to cost over their entire huge product line and takes the pressure to make a profit off any individual product in their mix. Unless Adobe wants to knowingly spend a bloody fortune to follow BM down that same path, I think they would do better to either pass, or to lowball the Carlisle Group to get Nuke at a much more reasonable valuation.

BTW, while Nuke now has a free version of their software, giving them some head to head competition against the free version of Fusion, their free software does NOT appear to offer unrestricted commercial use, like the free versions of Fusion and Resolve do. So, Blackmagic's model may already give them a significant advantage in capturing new users, which traditionally tends to ensure product sustainability, at least it has at BM.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:47:10 pm

Nuke beats Fusion like lava beats paper. To the potential shared CC experience, if you go down to UK based EA (he said randomly), you are asked to version out core engine work executed in nuke. Where an american flown in produces the shots, and he has his own bokeh defocus raw code recipe as well as directorial chops. Using AE for 15" cutdown endboards you are producing foreign subtitles using trapcode and twitch. Nuke is royalty, you are an AE butler / footman.

If adobe have bought Nuke, they've basically bought the current Jedi temple.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:22:27 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Nuke beats Fusion like lava beats paper."

I don't know that I'd go that far... Fusion has a long, respectable resume of high end VFX and motion graphics work, and it's still really popular.

I do have questions though. IF the acquisition happens, what does that mean for Hiero... what about the close relationship between Maxon and Adobe... will you get Cineware and C4D Lite WITH Modo... will there be a Modoware? Will Adobe create a different plan that includes tools from The Foundry plus Anywhere? Will Adobe absorb The Foundry, or let their brand stay in tact, like Boris did with Imagineer Systems? So many possibilities! IF it happens, there just won't be a more powerful suite of applications from one company... what will that mean for the entire industry?

[Aindreas Gallagher] "If adobe have bought Nuke, they've basically bought the current Jedi temple."

Totally agree... if you include all of The Foundy's applications and plugins. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Apr 30, 2015 at 1:10:39 am

As one might well imagine there is a huge thread on this over at the Modo Forum. Tim about nails it with his analysis although I still think that Autodesk is probably still a viable suitor. From a Modo User perspective, the preferred buyer is most likely Adobe. Given the Softimage debacle if AD were to by TF Modo will stick around a short term, and then resources will be pulled. I could see the rendering engine put into Revit and Inventor and the render Modo render license agreement with Solidworks pulled. A stragegic thrust for AD and then Modo would just die a death like Softimage. AD is going full subscription on everything starting Feb 2016 although if you want you can buy a full license. I think the price on Nuke, Mari, Hero et.al. would stay higher if AD were to purchase them but they already sell to that high end market and know the customer base very well. Adobe, while I sure the big production houses use CC, with their huge consumer base the products from TF are a bit of a different sell. I'd love to see tighter integration between AE/Modo and one wonders what will happen to the Maxon deal. I cannot see that continuing if Adobe was to by TF.

I really think the big question to answer is will there be a "Hitler reacts to Adobe buying The Foundry" video or "Hitler reacts to Autodesk buying The Foundry" video.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 1, 2015 at 11:24:53 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Nuke is royalty, you are an AE butler / footman."

This is a good point. For you FCPX advocates who are agitated that users of other NLEs are still looking down on your choice 4 years in, spare a thought for the After Effects artists who have been the objects of similar professional scorn and derision for the last 22 years.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 1, 2015 at 4:25:01 pm

[Walter Soyka] "For you FCPX advocates who are agitated that users of other NLEs are still looking down on your choice 4 years in, spare a thought for the After Effects artists who have been the objects of similar professional scorn and derision for the last 22 years."

Premiere might have AE beat in the Rodney Dangerfield department. ;) Granted the birth of the NLE's in 90's pre-dates my career, but until the last couple of years I have seen little but resounding contempt for Premiere. AE, while maybe not being best of the best, has always seemed professional to me where as Premiere was the laughed-at, also-ran NLE only used by lame Windoze users to cut horrible corporate videos and crappy wedding videos while 'real' editors used Avid or, if they couldn't afford Avid, FCP (oh, the irony).

While I'm sure people that have been pointing out all the good in X since 2011 are starting to feel vindicated, people like Jacob Rosenberg of Bandito Brothers have been out there trying to spread the good word about Premiere for well over a decade.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 1, 2015 at 5:03:25 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on May 1, 2015 at 5:04:37 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "AE, while maybe not being best of the best, has always seemed professional to me where as Premiere was the laughed-at, also-ran NLE only used by lame Windoze users to cut horrible corporate videos and crappy wedding videos while 'real' editors used Avid or, if they couldn't afford Avid, FCP (oh, the irony)."

I think Walter is referring to a much narrower audience; professional compositors and VFX artists. Really, until about CS6... AE was absolutely regarded in the same vein as Premiere; a tool for down market (broadcast, event and corporate) graphics folks. The landscape is a bit different now, with AE somewhere in the pipeline for nearly every blockbuster feature film, and firmly in high end commercial and television workflows. HOWEVER, that attitude is still pretty common, 'they' say "AE might be fine for_________, but if you want to get real work done, the industry standard is_______.". It doesn't matter if AE is perfectly suited for a particular task, there are people (producers and artists) who simply won't use it. The same way some people won't use FPX, PPro, Avid or Vegas, no matter what.

People are silly. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 1, 2015 at 5:07:25 pm

[Shawn Miller] "People are silly. :-)"

Agreed.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 3, 2015 at 6:35:07 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "[Shawn Miller] "People are silly. :-)"

Agreed."

But of course, them - not us.

We're all universally smarter than the average bears.

I know this because my mom told me so when I was 5.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 3, 2015 at 6:46:48 pm

[Bill Davis] "But of course, them - not us.

We're all universally smarter than the average bears. "

lol, Exactly. Great minds think alike. :)

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on May 11, 2015 at 10:48:37 am

I don't disrespect Adobe at all, but I don't think it becoming a behmouth company by owning everything useful in video land is the best move for the industry as a whole.

Adobe needs SOME competition before it ends up as another Microsoft. No disrespect to MS users either.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 11, 2015 at 5:18:01 pm

[Simon Billington] "I don't disrespect Adobe at all, but I don't think it becoming a behmouth company by owning everything useful in video land is the best move for the industry as a whole.

Adobe needs SOME competition before it ends up as another Microsoft. No disrespect to MS users either."

Agreed, but for any company, not just Adobe. With regards to the video side of things, I think Adobe does have healthy competition from companies like Avid, Apple and Blackmagic. Though two of those options have inexpensive software tied to proprietary hardware and in the long run I don't think that's any better for the health of the industry than Adobe's approach.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 11, 2015 at 6:48:32 pm

Spot on! If, by some chance, a company such as AJA were to acquire Nuke, this could present itself with a hardware comparability issue. While grateful that BMD has acquired Fusion and developing the software further, the lack of some flexibility in hardware options can present challenges. After reading what Andrew and Tim have pointed out, despite my opposition to rental only, Adobe would be the best fit.

Rental only or boxed in with smaller range of compatible hardware, which offers the least amount of flexibility? Love to hear your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 11, 2015 at 7:59:51 pm

[David Mathis] "After reading what Andrew and Tim have pointed out, despite my opposition to rental only, Adobe would be the best fit."

There are some interesting ways in which Adobe is not a good fit, too. If Adobe were to buy The Foundry, there are some things they'd need to work out.

The Foundry develops for a niche within a niche; will this fit in with Adobe's broad creative appeal? Would this be the beginning of tiered Creative Cloud offerings?

The Foundry develops for Linux as well as Mac/Windows, and the Linux platform is very important for their customers. Adobe CC is for Mac or Windows only.

The Foundry's customers are extremely demanding, expecting (and willing to pay for) a high level of support. Adobe's support organization is tiered (I think) by volume, not by product.

Of course, one shouldn't believe everything one reads on the Internet [link]. Though paradoxically, that must also extend to Internet admonitions not to believe everything you read on the Internet.

I still think Autodesk is a possible buyer. M&E has been trending downward; they blame a lot of that on the market in general, but surely some of it has to do with pressure from The Foundry on Autodesk's M&E portfolio. We're mainly talking about NUKE here -- and what the ramifications of owning NUKE on Smoke/Flame would be are interesting -- but I think that MARI would be of huge strategic importance to Autodesk's 3D platforms, and less so but still relevant in that area, COLORWAY.

I also still think Dassault Systems [link] is a possible buyer. They could buy their way into competition in the M&E business with Autodesk. Dassault just loves buying companies, and if they decide that DCC would be a good adjacent market to get into, this is their chance.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 11, 2015 at 8:13:56 pm

I agree with what you are saying. My fear is if Autodesk were to be in on the action. Combustion was a nice alternative to After Effects but it died a somewhat slow, horrible death. If my memory is correct, Autodesk stopped developing this software shortly before pulling the plug. We all remember Shake and its demise. Granted that Smoke is still going strong. Just not sure how Nuke will fit into the picture.

Probably not a real concern but at least something to think about. There will be better support than perhaps with Adobe. Not sure what the price structure would be if it is at a much lower cost then things will be interesting to say the least just as our weather has been. Just waiting to see how the subscriber base at Adobe is going to react once Fusion is available for the Mac platform. This story is worth watching as the impacts could present both opprortunity and some challenges.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 11, 2015 at 10:08:44 pm

[David Mathis] "My fear is if Autodesk were to be in on the action. Combustion was a nice alternative to After Effects but it died a somewhat slow, horrible death. If my memory is correct, Autodesk stopped developing this software shortly before pulling the plug. We all remember Shake and its demise. Granted that Smoke is still going strong. Just not sure how Nuke will fit into the picture."

I don't think Autodesk could drive Flame sales by buying The Foundry and killing NUKE. Looking at feature set and philosophy (and cost!), Flame and NUKE are surprisingly differentiated. IF NUKE were to disappear tomorrow, I think that Fusion, Mamba and Natron would suddenly look more interesting to a lot of people. I'm not so sure there are a lot of NUKE shops that would find Flame appealing.

I know that Autodesk just EOLed SoftImage, but they have also kept 3ds Max alongside Maya for years. There is precedent both ways.

As for Smoke going strong, it's a pretty confusing time right now. After a few years of gravitating toward Flame, Smoke has now been rather forcefully separated; it can no longer share projects into Flame. I'm not really sure what to expect yet from the next release of Smoke, but I sure do hope to find out at IBC.

[David Mathis] "Not sure what the price structure would be if it is at a much lower cost then things will be interesting to say the least just as our weather has been. Just waiting to see how the subscriber base at Adobe is going to react once Fusion is available for the Mac platform."

When looking at the whole 3D and compositing competitive landscape, there's also the pending release of BUF [link] to keep in mind.

But compositing as a whole has been utterly static lately: pretty much NUKE/Ae or bust.

It's interesting to me that Mamba, which is both cheap and powerful, is not getting more people excited. Likewise, that Natron, which free and open-source, has basically no footprint anywhere.

Fusion is a nice product with some real advantages, but it's also pretty quirky and surrendered the lead to NUKE (in marketshare and in technology) ages ago. Can BMD develop it fast enough to get it where it needs to be to make NUKE customers happy? Is the fact that it's from BMD enough to move the compositing market? Will even a fraction of the people who are excited about Fusion as an Ae alternative actually stick with it when they see what tradeoffs would be involved in that transition?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 11, 2015 at 8:04:20 pm

[David Mathis] "Rental only or boxed in with smaller range of compatible hardware, which offers the least amount of flexibility? Love to hear your thoughts."

To me being tied to specific hardware offers the least amount of flexibility and presents more cumbersome obstacle to overcome. Paying a subscription to Adobe is much more of a mental roadblock than an actual workflow roadblock. I really like the fact that these days I can have multiple NLEs installed on the same system and they can use the same I/O hardware where as 10 years ago that wasn't the case.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on May 11, 2015 at 11:09:56 pm

The fear is though, as has happened in the past is that Adobe will cannibalise Fusion's current stable of apps, only to bolster After Effects and Premiere with some of the features.

To be fair Adobe aren't the only ones guilty of doing this, but other developers have done this sort of thing as well.

I don't think that its a remote possibility, edging on paranoia, I actually think that it becomes a very real possibility.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 11, 2015 at 11:14:58 pm

[Simon Billington] "The fear is though, as has happened in the past is that Adobe will cannibalise Fusion's current stable of apps, only to bolster After Effects and Premiere with some of the features."

Whenever there is a situation like this I don't think worrying what will happen to the acquired tech/company is an unfounded fear.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on May 11, 2015 at 11:24:49 pm

Oh I won't lose any sleep over it, others might though. It's just an observation.

Personally i think they would be fools for doing so.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 11, 2015 at 11:34:07 pm

[Simon Billington] "Personally i think they would be fools for doing so."

Largely agreed. The interesting part about NUKE isn't some technology within it; it's the whole package.

Not sure I'd say the same for, say, MARI and Photoshop, though, or Mischief and Ps/Il.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]