FORUMS: list search recent posts

Randy Ubillos retires from Apple

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Randy Ubillos retires from Apple
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:20:50 pm

Randy Ubillos, the driving force behind Premiere, FCP 7 and FCP X has retired from Apple. Let the speculation begin!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1871631

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
Re: Randy Ubillos retires from Apple
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:22:24 pm
Last Edited By Glenn Grant on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:51:09 pm

You beat me to it!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:36:43 pm

Ready for the next round of Kremlinology.

At least it'll be interesting to see who will head the Video Photo division.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Setting Marker
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:41:37 pm

For avalanche of posts re: sky is falling.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:42:01 pm

Jason Lee is between projects, and he already has a skateboard:-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:52:05 pm

[Glenn Grant] "You beat me to it!"

One of the few positives of being between gigs, I have more time to waste on the Inter-webs. ;)

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 7:37:00 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Samuel-Gaskin on Apr 23, 2015 at 7:42:03 pm

Perhaps with his departure, a certain dogmatism in the shape, vision and roadmap of FCPX will depart as well...Perhaps we will at last see Replace Edit, Gang Sync , Roles based Audio organisation, a revised key framing system...basically truly essential and useful Editorial functions. Don't get me wrong, I love FCPX , but there are some essential functions like the ones listed and suggested on Richard Taylor's page that this app needs to have. With Randy out of the picture, I'm hoping that the chances that such functionality materialises increase and actually become real.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 7:48:52 pm

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] "Perhaps we will at last see Replace Edit, Gang Sync ,Roles based Audio organisation a revised key framing system...basically truly essential and useful Editorial functions."

Why on earth would you assume that he had anything at all to do with that. And also, why do you assume that that stuff won't appear. Match frame replace command has been in the app since day 1, just not yet implemented (god knows why, but it was/is there) I'm pretty sure Roles were always intended to, and will do more than they do now, key framing is much better in 10.2 and I'm sure will continue to get better. Gang sync would be nice, as would a lot of other things.

Maybe he'll show up at BMD. :-) The Cow would take down the entire internet if that happened. lol

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:02:12 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Maybe he'll show up at BMD. :-) The Cow would take down the entire internet if that happened. lol"

No, at that point, the COW would swallow the the internet. The COW would BECOME the internet.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:47:02 pm

[Tim Wilson] "No, at that point, the COW would swallow the the internet. The COW would BECOME the internet.
"

No, that would occur if her were to resurface at Adobe. :-D

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:02:21 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Why on earth would you assume that he had anything at all to do with that. And also, why do you assume that that stuff won't appear. "

Oh, I do hope that that stuff will appear. He created the App. That's the point. It and iMovie are his creation. It's his vision. Hence he's been the gatekeeper of its functionality. But also maybe the source of a blinkered "Father knows best" approach too..

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:11:30 pm

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] "It and iMovie are his creation. It's his vision. Hence he's been the gatekeeper of its functionality. But also maybe the source of a blinkered "Father knows best" approach too.."

I suppose that's possible, though I tend to think not. My uninformed guess it that lots of "missing" functions just haven't been technically sussed out yet. I don't think implementing things that we've had "forever" in track based NLE's are quite as simple to do in X. Now, I'm sure saying that will get lot's of "X is technically flawed!" BS responses. IMO, it's "technically new", at lest in terms of how it sees/handles clips and media in the app. I think we'll see lots of stuff return, regardless of who "the architect" is...

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:25:59 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Now, I'm sure saying that will get lot's of "X is technically flawed!" BS responses. IMO, it's "technically new", at lest in terms of how it sees/handles clips and media in the app. I think we'll see lots of stuff return, regardless of who "the architect" is..."

Yah, it's still growing..and following the M.O. of "tear it down and build it back up again" that we've seen in the last 5 years, "Photos" being the most recent example. Not that that is a *bad* thing. I don't believe it is. Just now , with the decks cleared, there can be some "new thinking" infused into X and the engineers can get their fingers in those really interesting and useful problems and solutions we've all been holding out for.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:02:10 am

X is technically flawed! (Just trying to be of service.)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:06:11 pm

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] "Oh, I do hope that that stuff will appear. He created the App. That's the point. It and iMovie are his creation. It's his vision. Hence he's been the gatekeeper of its functionality. But also maybe the source of a blinkered "Father knows best" approach too..
"

He also created Premiere and FCP (well, technically KeyGrip which became FCP). Randy was making a logging app to go along with FCP (kinda like Prelude goes with Premiere) and when he showed it to Jobs Jobs said that's what he wanted the next FCP to be like and X was born. The vision, like most everything at Apple, was Jobs'.

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:20:39 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Samuel-Gaskin on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:22:01 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "He also created Premiere and FCP (well, technically KeyGrip which became FCP). Randy was making a logging app to go along with FCP (kinda like Prelude goes with Premiere) and when he showed it to Jobs Jobs said that's what he wanted the next FCP to be like and X was born. The vision, like most everything at Apple, was Jobs'."

I don't think Jobs gave a monkeys about FCP beyond the "One of our engineers was on vacation, found it difficult to do some things, so he created this" speech. Lets not kid ourselves here. Jobs wasn't building features into FCP. He stage-managed it. Pro Apps was Randy's show.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:55:08 pm

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] "I don't think Jobs gave a monkeys about FCP beyond the "One of our engineers was on vacation, found it difficult to do some things, so he created this" speech. Lets not kid ourselves here. Jobs wasn't building features into FCP. He stage-managed it. Pro Apps was Randy's show."

So the guy that fathered Premiere and FCP Legend just decided to go wildly off the reservation out of the blue?

Is Jobs down there going on and on about multicam and OMF? No, but if Jobs saw the logging app and said, "I want FCP to look like and behave like THAT" then Randy certainly has to rethink how an NLE can work because things like tracks are out, two viewers are out, etc.,. When Apple bought Nothing Real (makers of Shake) Jobs personally held a meeting with the Nothing Real team and some of NR's biggest clients to tell everyone what the new lay of the land was. While at Pixar Jobs even tried (more than once) to sell a consumer version of Pixar's Renderman software. Was the coding? No, but was telling people what the end result needed to be. The biography of Jobs has numerous examples of him being involved in the tiny details of all their products. Jobs was incredibly hands on and involved.

Was Randy in charge of the day to day? Sure, but that just means he was in charge building an NLE w/in the confines of Jobs' vision (which was an NLE that had the look, feel and simplicity of a logging app).

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 23, 2015 at 11:11:45 pm

that stuff is actually out there - the account of the meeting where jobs decided the pre-logger would be X - although I think he was looking more at what became the browser and tagging system. but that account is real - an apple person from the time spoke about it. Jobs made a crazy amount of instant taste calls. If that meeting had gone differently presumably nothing would be as it is.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on May 4, 2015 at 10:23:36 pm

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, Randy did not create all those programs, at least not as the designer. I don't believe that he became the product designer until about a year before FCP X was released. I was working on the FCP QA team from 2000-2002 and Randy was the lead engineer, but not the designer. That was Brian Meeney, if I remember the name correctly. If not, it was very close. Brian had considerable experience as an editor. Randy was a coding genius, but had no real-world editing experience to speak of. There were always arguments (though mostly friendly) between the engineering-oriented people (like Randy) and editing-oriented people (like myself) about what end-users actually wanted.

Over the past 4 years, I think we've proven that these kinds of arguments still exist.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:11:08 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Maybe he'll show up at BMD. :-) The Cow would take down the entire internet if that happened. lol"

Resolve and FCPX sitting in a tree...

BMD have practically lifted its GUI directly from FCPX. I thought that kind of thing would be patented, but as Apple lost to MS over "look and feel"..*shrug*

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:18:27 pm

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] "BMD have practically lifted its GUI directly from FCPX. I thought that kind of thing would be patented, but as Apple lost to MS over "look and feel"..*shrug*"

In my feverish imagination, I sometimes think there's more synergy here than meets the eye. Resolve is kind of becoming a Rosetta Stone for FCP X. Will be very interested to see how R12 plays with fcpxml 1.5, which has a lot of added functionality...

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:35:11 pm

Seeing as Apple have been happy letting the general public beta test iOS and OSX as of late, do you think some of that new happy openness could spread to Pro Apps?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:34:48 pm

AND an update to iMovie came out today. The end is near....

;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 23, 2015 at 10:36:35 pm

While Randy U was certainly tight with the redevelopment of FCP into FCP X, there are plenty of competent engineers and designers on staff. It's probably hard to say whether he's even had that much direct impact on its development after the initial launch. I doubt you'll see any huge changes in direction.

And regarding Apple and BMD, you might want to look up Paul Saccone. He's been at BMD for over a year and was also a vital member of the ProApps team before that.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 23, 2015 at 10:38:28 pm

Actually... It would be really funny if Randy landed at Avid ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 23, 2015 at 11:44:19 pm

OTOH, Randy is due his retirement. There are few folks who can claim to have developed three different NLEs from scratch (Premiere, KeyGrip/FCP, iMovie/FCP X).

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:21:59 am

[Oliver Peters] "OTOH, Randy is due his retirement. There are few folks who can claim to have developed three different NLEs from scratch (Premiere, KeyGrip/FCP, iMovie/FCP X)."

Agreed. Whether you like X or not, Randy deserves a huge round of applause for an amazing career. The dude has more than earned it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:34:01 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Whether you like X or not, Randy deserves a huge round of applause for an amazing career."

And as told to me by people who worked directly with him briefly, he is a hands-on coder, not just a concept guy.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 24, 2015 at 1:01:35 am

[Oliver Peters] "OTOH, Randy is due his retirement. There are few folks who can claim to have developed three different NLEs from scratch (Premiere, KeyGrip/FCP, iMovie/FCP X)."

and I hope one day he writes a book about it

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 24, 2015 at 1:11:53 am

[Steve Connor] "and I hope one day he writes a book about it"

Read "Timeline". Much of it is discussed there.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 24, 2015 at 11:53:16 am

Did he not also design Radius' edit software?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 24, 2015 at 2:50:11 pm

[Oliver Peters] "While Randy U was certainly tight with the redevelopment of FCP into FCP X, there are plenty of competent engineers and designers on staff"

That is true and makes all the bizarre decisions even harder to understand. I think Steve "knighted" Randy King of Pro Apps and he became the "Emperor with no clothes" when it came to people standing up to challenge him.

To this day understanding how intelligent people, presumably in a meeting, could all be on board with killing FCP7 the same day as FCPX is released and have it not be able to open FCP7 projects.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:07:56 am

[Charlie Austin] " why do you assume that that stuff won't appear."

Because it's been 4 years. Apple has been very good about delivering those things they promised to deliver. They never promised to deliver Roles based audio organization, they never promised to deliver round tripping to Motion. At what point do you say, well that's it then, I guess it is what it is?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:34:51 am

Don't think so Herb.

At the Vegas NAB FCP X Guru Gathering among the FCPX dev team members who came, the most consistent refrain was "so what features would you like to see in X?

Not the question you keep asking if you consider the software "done."

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 24, 2015 at 3:37:55 am

[Bill Davis] "Not the question you keep asking if you consider the software "done.""

I don't think the software is "done." This past year produced many interesting updates, but I do think that certain requests will not be fulfilled. Round tripping to Motion has been asked for over and over again for these past 4 years and I believe Apple has heard those requests, and the answer, for whatever reason, is "no."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:34:58 am

[Herb Sevush] "They never promised to deliver Roles based audio organization"

OTOH, maybe now we'll get tracks back ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:48:52 am

Kai Krause, white courtesy phone please...

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 24, 2015 at 1:18:06 am

[Oliver Peters] "OTOH, maybe now we'll get tracks back ;-)"

God, no. Then it will be like Premiere...

;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 24, 2015 at 2:20:16 am

Without knowing why he left, apart from some vague comment about retirement, it is rather pointless to speculate. If it was due to Apple dumbing down (as some claim) the video and photo apps then sure we can speculate on what that means. Or was he the architect of that dumbing as others claim? For the record I am not buying into the dumber debate but I rather see it as bring a software product to market in an immature form and then the pace of development compared to rivals like Adobe & BM seems slow. That speaks to me more of a lack of importance to Apple only.

As Oliver said there are plenty of competent software engineers that can keep the development going. Who knows what the direction may be. Personally I am happy to be watching from the sidelines as I have no vested interest in Apple products at the moment other than having to get from X into Resolve and Fairlight. So until we get something a bit more tangible about why he left from the man himself, it is fun but idle chat.

I hope confidence in the continuing developments of X is rewarded for those that have gone down that path.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 24, 2015 at 1:28:03 pm

I am sure that after 20 years with Apple, he cam more than comfortably retire and do whatever he wants - even if it is nothing. But I suspect the entrepreneurial and innovative side of him will start something new, different, but related to the media industry in some way. I doubt he wants to go to another NLE manufacturer and do it all again.

Michael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 24, 2015 at 1:39:56 pm

One "wild" thought is that he may have things he wanted to add to FCPX that are outside of Apple's constraints. Perhaps he's got plugin features he feels he can add by developing independently. Own boss on own clock with no Apple overlord.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 24, 2015 at 3:39:43 pm

Or maybe he just wants to be rich and retired and do whatever he wants. And not have to "fight" for pro improvements within a consumer company. IF that means he starts doing plug-ins in retirement ... well, everybody needs a hobby!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Bill Marcellus
Re: andy Ubillos retires from Apple
on Apr 24, 2015 at 7:49:27 pm

Are bars & tone available in Generators yet?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 24, 2015 at 9:03:56 pm

[Bill Marcellus] "Are bars & tone available in Generators yet?"

Nope. If you need 'em it takes about 30 seconds to find and DL any test signals you'd like.

Return to posts index

Bill Marcellus
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:19:37 pm

So, so easy. Yet in four years they haven't figured out a way to add them to Generators?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:50:18 pm

[Bill Marcellus] "So, so easy. Yet in four years they haven't figured out a way to add them to Generators?"

Yet so much broadcast work is being done in FCPX without them. Perhaps they're not mission critical. I guess one might want them if going out to tape or some other analog workflow. Perhaps they feel its solve by third parties. They don't include an adjustment layer either yet that's easily solved by making your own in Motion or through various third parties.

I'd prefer Apple focus on things not easily solved by third parties such as improvements in Roles, two up keyboard trimming, Replace using playhead, ganging, Viewers that can compare two points on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 27, 2015 at 7:01:07 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Yet so much broadcast work is being done in FCPX without them. Perhaps they're not mission critical. I guess one might want them if going out to tape or some other analog workflow.

I can't remember the last time I saw a broadcast delivery spec that wanted me to include bars and tone.

All they seem to want today is a ProRes or H264 digital file where first to last frame is right at :30 wall to wall - and that the file name matches the ISCI code.

That's pretty much it.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 27, 2015 at 7:17:59 pm

[Bill Davis] "I can't remember the last time I saw a broadcast delivery spec that wanted me to include bars and tone."

For spots your correct, for program delivery, not so much. For PBS bars and tone are still part of the program delivery specs, even with digital (proRes) delivery. On the other hand, having a bars and tone generator is not something I would look for in evaluating an NLE -- even I'm not that petty.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 27, 2015 at 7:43:35 pm

[Herb Sevush] "For spots your correct, for program delivery, not so much."

Yep, true for program length material, digital or not. Personally, I'd rather build my own bars/tone/test signal clips though. Even color bars have a zillion different flavors these days.

http://store.smpte.org/product_p/dve-pro.htm

Return to posts index

Bill Marcellus
on Apr 29, 2015 at 5:54:42 pm

Of course you can build your own bars & tone. We've all had to do that. Not needed for spots but every long form broadcast & film distributor deliverable that I have encountered has required them in the slating info. That's not the point. Someone said it is "petty" to worry about bars & tone. But, seriously, how much programming time would it take for them to be added to FCP X? In four years? I guess I am the only editor on the planet that needs to use them. Oh well, FVP X is good for some things, not so good for others- just like MC & PPro which I also use.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 29, 2015 at 10:21:10 pm

[Bill Marcellus] "I guess I am the only editor on the planet that needs to use them. Oh well, FVP X is good for some things, not so good for others- just like MC & PPro which I also use."

Nope. I very occasionally need to use them. So 4 years ago, I built a set around a downloaded template, stuck them in an Event, and whenever I need them, I pull them over from that EVENT and plop them on the head of my storyline.

When Libraries came around, I realized that I had a bunch of similar "necessities" including a customized academy leader, 60 hz and 1K cue tones, My company logo, Client Logos, and a bunch of other misc crap that I could put in a Utilities Library and leave it on the Root Drive of my machine.

It's trivial to copy one or all into any project as needed, and X even scales them appropriately!

So I needed to generate bars and tone exactly ONCE - 4 years ago.

That's the whole theoretical POINT of X being a database folks, you do work ONCE and you can always find it and re-use it easily.

Which makes adding the code for a GENERATOR of bars a huge waste of effort, IMO. The magic of Generators is they provide a template that you can globally CHANGE over and over, like slates, titles, etc.

I don't see them as being for things that I create once, then have almost NO NEED to ever change again.

Again, I have a database to keep track of those things.

Loath to say it, but once again, it smacks of being stuck thinking like your old NLE operated. If it's a stock recurring item, it doesn't NEED a generator. Just a file your database can track. Stuff that needs generators are things where you want to CHANGE the parameters with each new use - and bars and tone don't quality. Unless, I guess, you want to change the colors on the bars to screw with other editors? And that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:14:09 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:15:48 pm

[Bill Davis] "Loath to say it, but once again, it smacks of being stuck thinking like your old NLE operated."

I do the same thing in my new NLE that I did in my old NLE. I have a bin (in the case of Avid) or project (in the case of FCP or PPro) labeled something like "Andrew's Toolkit" and in that I keep various things like slugs, custom transitions, custom effects, commonly used SFX, etc.,. Traveling with your own 'toolkit' plus your custom settings (keyboard, windows, etc.,) on a thumb drive was one of the first tips I was given by an experienced freelancer when I was first starting out.

EDIT: FWIW, I don't think Avid has a bars generator (it has test pattern stills that you import) though I think it does generate tone. Shows you the last time I had to worry about that...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:48:37 pm

An edit tool may have little use for Bars & Tone but a finishing tool should. X isn't a finishing tool in that sense. Although many might use it to edit & finish, in broadcast & cinema it isn't going to perform that task. Legend was better able to be used as a finishing tool as I did for many years and having generators mattered.

Taking a video file of bars and scaling up or down would not pass muster in broadcast. Resolve has generators because it is aiming at being a finishing tool. It has generators that help with monitor calibration. Again not something most X or Pr users might think they need.

It is not old school thinking but entirely based on what the tool is designed for. X doesn't need generators if you can work around it but if you were delivering broadcast tape (yes I still need to do that) then generators matter. I would say it was almost a design philosophy not to put them in as that would be so trivial to do.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:52:39 pm

[Michael Gissing] "It is not old school thinking but entirely based on what the tool is designed for. X doesn't need generators if you can work around it but if you were delivering broadcast tape (yes I still need to do that) then generators matter. I would say it was almost a design philosophy not to put them in as that would be so trivial to do."

Do you know if Symphony has generators?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:55:03 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:55:55 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Do you know if Symphony has generators?"

I'm not sure if you are asking tongue-in-cheek, but no, Symphony - like Media Composer - has no color bar generator. It uses Avid color bar files that you have to import. However, those bars are designed to be correct when imported with 601/709 levels. It does generate tone, though.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 30, 2015 at 12:24:45 am

[Oliver Peters] "I'm not sure if you are asking tongue-in-cheek"

Nope, legit question. Didn't know if a bars generator was one of the distinguishing features of Symphony over MC (that last part was a bit tongue-in-cheek).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 30, 2015 at 12:30:29 am

[Andrew Kimery] "distinguishing features of Symphony over MC "

Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley. ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 30, 2015 at 12:46:48 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Do you know if Symphony has generators?"
[Oliver Peters] "It uses Avid color bar files that you have to import. However, those bars are designed to be correct when imported with 601/709 levels. It does generate tone, though".

thanks Oliver. I don't know Symphony as I don't work with it at my facility. Files that are correct gamma & color space in an application work well. If you have a system that can work in frame sizes from SD through to 4k it is nice to have color space accurate generators but files can work in any NLE.

I too have argued for years that in a digital world, the need for bars & tone is almost over but I do realise they can have other use and are still delivery requirements regardless of what anyone thinks from editors to NLE software engineers.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:56:09 am

I still don't get this.

Just buy a Calibar (if you can still find one) Generate whatever bars you need. Save them as files. Cast the Calibar as a relic in resin on your desk - and forevermore insert the resulting screens where you like. If you're freaked out about the "purity" of your color vectors, the plunge level or some other "broadcast" data point, you've got a whole array of scopes a Command 7 away to make sure that at whatever resolution you're delivering, you can append files that are digitally spot-on accurate.

Honestly, it feels like you're working WAY too hard to try to find deficiencies in X that really just aren't there.

And I'm just a bit tired of the the implication that what is actually the BEST thing about X - that it was free to jettison some long-in-the-tooth conventions about how video needs to be made - continues to be re-cast as things that have somehow "wounded" X. They aren't.

I agree if you somehow couldn't adjust video in X that would be one thing. But that they stripped fading analog era stuff out to make the program cleaner and more suitable to a 1's and 0's world - and that means you have to PLAN for your clients needs a bit in advance, thats not a bug, it's a FEATURE, IMO.

Time to move on.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 30, 2015 at 7:01:10 am

[Bill Davis]"Honestly, it feels like you're working WAY too hard to try to find deficiencies in X that really just aren't there. "

Do you read my posts Bill??

I am not saying it is a deficiency. I did say that there is still a need for finishing tools to have generators and guess what. They nearly all do.

So please move on. Stop complaining about things that don't exist.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 30, 2015 at 1:15:22 pm

I have nothing to say on this, but I just wanted to add the "R" back into Randy's name :)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 2, 2015 at 7:05:57 pm

And, I was just getting used to the new name!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 24, 2015 at 8:57:16 pm

Randy has certainly done his time in this industry, and left a legacy that will endure maybe longer than any other single designer/developer.

Any one of his accomplishments would be enough to put him in the running, especially Premiere, which is ground zero for desktop video imo, but even if we're just talking about Radius, crucial pioneering work that made a whole lot of the rest of this possible, he's a frontrunner, for sure.

I don't remember what he did at Apple. Maybe one of you cats can remind me. LOL

What he did NOT do is have anything to do with the plans for pulling 7 on release of X. That had everything to do with Steven's vision for burning his previous victories to the ground as often as necessary, ie, every time, to immediately implement his vision of the future.

Whatever else he was, Jobs was an astute observer. Maintaining Apple II and Mac simultaneously cost Apple years of development momentum, and cost it personal computing marketshare that Apple has still not recovered. You can't maintain any kind of support for the past and keep moving forward, and Steve watched Apple learn this the hard way.

Sacrificing market leadership and high customer loyalty was a trivial cost to pay, and Apple suffered because they didn't have the guts to commit to what it KNEW the future was going to be.

Not a mistake he was going to make again.

His compromise with the OS X transition via Rosetta wasn't as bad, but still cost Apple tremendous momentum, both by squandering its own resources, and by distracting third-party developers and customers from the true goal, which was to get them into the future, NOW.

That was never going to happen again, and indeed, it hasn't. Not with any part of Apple.

The Creative COW archives are replete with reports of iTunes updates breaking compatibility with FCP. Happened every time, for years. It's not that Steve didn't know. It's impossible that he didn't. It's that he didn't care. Moving you forward was more important than keeping you comfortable where you were.

I honestly don't think it had anything at all to do with selling you new computers or software updates. I think it has everything to do with a laser focus on the future. There is absolutely no universe in which 7 was going to last a minute day longer than the arrival of the future.

You know who's damn near perfect at backwards compatibility? Microsoft. Windows 8 notwithstanding, they're also historically very good about gentle transitions forward. Even a moron like me can go to their website and see the roadmap for the next 15 years, including the dates for when compatibility guarantees and product support for every piece of software will end.

Indeed, the problems with Vista were virtually all because MSFT promised people SOME Vista compatibility with previous hardware, and people were furious that they couldn't get ALL of Vista's features on their old hardware.

The RIGHT solution is Apple's: simply tell people on a very, very regular basis, you want the new OS? You need a new computer. End of story.

Want the new iOS? Pretty soon, you need a new device. Need to redownload old iOS software to reset your old phone? Tough.

For that matter, another lesson Jobs learned from Microsoft is that you can't properly support software on other people's hardware. (A mistake Google is making with Android in Apple's vision, too.) It's why killing the clone business that had kept Mac viable, especially in this market, was practically the first thing Steve did upon his return.

Make no mistake about Apple's intent, now or in the future. Continuity is a problem, not a goal, and Apple isn't about to be their own obstacle. They'll burn their own marketshare and associated customer goodwill to the ground as often as it takes to focus all of Apple's resources on bringing you their idea of the best possible future, as quickly as possible.

It's the heart of the Apple experience.

It's also why I'm still a little surprised that anyone is surprised by this. I'm definitely unclear why if it WASN'T Appple's core ethos, how anybody thinks that the FCPX team could possibly have pulled it off.

Which is why I doubt that it factored into Randy's retirement plans one way or the other. If he had a problem with it, he could have bailed at any point in the past four years. Whatever time he takes off, he's more than earned. Whatever new venture he undertakes, it'll be cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not outside this industry, though. How much is left to accomplish here than what he's already done? And done three or four times over at that?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 24, 2015 at 9:13:00 pm

[Tim Wilson] "You know who's damn near perfect at backwards compatibility? Microsoft. Windows 8 notwithstanding, they're also historically very good about gentle transitions forward. Even a moron like me can go to their website and see the roadmap for the next 15 years, including the dates for when compatibility guarantees and product support for every piece of software will end."

Which is why I only use Macs for tool specific tasks. All of my personal and office computers are PCs. Apple products are non upgradeable and not past-compatible, which works fine for a consumer trinket, but doesn't work for me as a business investment. Plus this way I don't have to pay extra to be cool, which, less face it, isn't gonna happen no matter which ear plugs I use.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:35:36 pm

[Herb Sevush] "doesn't work for me as a business investment."

Works great for me. No trinkets needed.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Apr 24, 2015 at 10:31:03 pm

If any of what you say is true than how come that I'm happily editing on a 7 year old Mac Pro (early 2008) updated to Yosemite and FCPX 10.2 without any problems??

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 25, 2015 at 8:57:02 am

[Carsten Orlt] "If any of what you say is true than how come that I'm happily editing on a 7 year old Mac Pro (early 2008) updated to Yosemite and FCPX 10.2 without any problems??"

Me too, I have emails on my system that date back to my Bondi Blue iMac too. I've had no issues with Apple's steamroller approach to pushing forward.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 25, 2015 at 11:28:37 am

Excellent commentary and points as always.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 27, 2015 at 10:29:06 pm

Really?

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:32:43 pm

Yep.

Return to posts index