FORUMS: list search recent posts

The most compelling stories coming out of NAB? Non-attendees warmly invited :-)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
The most compelling stories coming out of NAB? Non-attendees warmly invited :-)
on Apr 19, 2015 at 8:25:18 pm

I've always found "Best of NAB" to be the wrong way to put it. Any product not shipping should be disqualified, since nobody knows if it's any good at all, much less a "best."

A good story's a good story, though, whether or not the product is any good, or whether it even comes to exist at all.

There are ways in which the opinions for non-attendees are at least as interesting to me, maybe moreso. It's one thing to see a big booth for a vendor, and for buzz to bounce around the room...but what's so compelling that it bounced outside the room and all the way to wherever you are?

Looking at the forum, it appears to me that Resolve 12 is the most compelling story, yes? Perhaps skewed by the software bent of the conversations here, though. Perhaps?

Does X.2 count as an NAB story? If so, that's in the running.

I've heard several folks mention that Premiere appears to have taken the largest slice of mindshare as reflected in NAB booths. Is there an NAB story that you see for Premiere? Or do you see its booth presence as a larger reflection of the world "out there" as well?

I'm struck by the lack of camera conversation this year. We may not see another camera make as much noise here as the first BMD Cinema Camera...whic most definitely DID create acres of conversation...but they released what look like interesting iterations to me. So did ARRI.

Any buzz to add for CION, or Panasonic Varicam 35? (The COW used to have the biggest Varicam community in the world, so I'm particularly surprised at the lack o buzz for that one.)

Those are just a few suggestions that may have nothing to do with what you're thinking. (Wouldn't be the first time for me to make a post completely out of sync with anyone else here. LOL)

So tell me. What's compelling?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: The most compelling stories coming out of NAB? Non-attendees warmly invited :-)
on Apr 19, 2015 at 10:05:12 pm

I did not attend NAB this time for the first time in many many years... I am mainly an Avid user and editor and focus on feature length content from an independent level to studio type workflows. My feeling from just reading buzz of interested to me:

1. Resolve 12. It is an essential part of my workflow, but the additional feature set is intriguing the editor and metadata whore in me. More than anything the number of new features and refinements is amazing - the proof will be in the pudding, but they are not standing still.

2. Ursa Mini. A nice size and specs for production. Something that my film student son can easily use as well as something I would not hesitate checking out for higher budgeted features. The $5K price version being the model to look at - depending on your lens arsenal.

3. I was underwhelmed by Avid DNxIO. It left me with more questions than answers. Of course things may change by the time this ships in Q3, but for now this looks like a better deal for BMD than it is for Avid. Perhaps a better fit into "broadcast" or enterprise broadcast/post.

4. Fusion OS X. I work on both platforms, so I am familiar with Fusion, but having it available on OS X is a really good thing for parity alone.

5. Other stuff in general, but not in the top three for immediate impact on my day to day (once released).

Michael

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: The most compelling stories coming out of NAB? Non-attendees warmly invited :-)
on Apr 20, 2015 at 12:27:03 am

And nothing groundbreaking from Red...was Media 100 even at NAB? Or LTO products for backing up our hundreds of nearly "boat anchor" hard drives?

Drones maybe? Heard there was a new pavillion, even if it is still illegal in the US without an FAA exemption.

Anything at the GoPro Booth?

Glad I sat out this year.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Apr 20, 2015 at 5:49:39 am

Just a hint of sarcasm noted in your comments about Red their Rick! ; )

The blackmagic releases were impressive, but the option to record vista vision resolution raw files alongside 2K ProRes to the same media whilst using an externally created iOS app for control and wireless monitoring via wifi, with live h264 encoding is incredible.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 20, 2015 at 12:30:44 am

At the top of my list is Resolve 12, as a owner of the Cinema Camera, thus lloks like a very nice update. I really hope the performance is improved. Will just have to wait like everyone else. I am also considering shooting on film, yes film. So now Resolve is even more of an interest.

What threw me for a bit of a surprise was the update to my old pal X, being released during the NAB event. No need to comment on 3D text, pretty well covered.

I am going to zip through the Adobe forum out of curiousity. While not happy with rental only still interested to see what is going on.

Now back to life.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 20, 2015 at 1:58:40 am

Ditto David M. From the opposite end of the globe my reading is that Resolve and CC are the significant software developments. New cameras are also of interest, partly as I suspect I might not see much development for the BM4K camera that I have.

That said if a serious production justified it, I might consider the Ursa Mini and have the BM4K as a second camera. The new BM viewfinder however, if I can add it to the BM4k, is an excellent addition to the camera range from BM and potentially makes it a better camera for field work, especially telephoto wildlife.

Some interesting developments in smaller radio mic transmitters by Lectrosonics as well although I am not too keen to get more portable audio kit. Again if a significant self production happens...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:57:50 am

[Tim Wilson] "So tell me. What's compelling?"

Lots of MAM and/or Cloud solutions showing up. Primestream (Fork), CatDV, Cantemo, AFrame, Axle Video, etc.,. Even shared storage companies like ProMAX, SNS, and EditShare have at least basic MAM functionality. These companies run the gambit from enterprise level to single user solutions, but I think user demand is going up while the cost of the products/services is coming down so we'll be seeing many more people utilizing MAMs than in the past.

[Rich Rubasch] "Or LTO products for backing up our hundreds of nearly "boat anchor" hard drives? "

Quantum, Spectralogic and ProMAX (they bought CacheA a while back) were all there with LTO though it's not a very sexy topic. Spectralogic had some cool hardware but it was definitely geared towards enterprise-level clients.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 20, 2015 at 5:39:29 am

I've got to say that the most exciting news for me from NAB are the 2 new 4k offerings from Canon. Whilst on the one hand I'm upset that my Canon C300 had just had a large chunk of it's residual value knocked off it I can't wait to get my hands on the C300 Mark 2.

It's expensive but seems to have everything that's required to move forward for the next few years as 4K slowly starts to take a hold. It's not released until Sept earliest but in the meantime there is the dinky Canon XC10 4K out in June which will make a really great B cam or grip cam.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 20, 2015 at 11:36:27 am

As a non attendee it seemed that Black magic once again had the most interesting new products. The Ursa Mini looks very interesting for the money, as does the mini 4K cameras - we use a remote high angle camera for shooting down into high sided pots during cooking and these would be perfect when we move to 4K (not this year.) Resolve 12 looks closer to being a competitive NLE as opposed to an editing module inside of grading software.

Adobe CC as well as FCPX demonstrated they were still committed to upgrading their offerings with some interesting developments, but nothing earth shattering. Avid sounds like they are thrashing around, trying to figure out what kind of company they want to become.

But to an outsider what was most surprising about NAB this year was the lack of surprises. Arri, Cannon, Panasonic offering 4K upgrades is not news; Smoke as an editor seems to have stalled out; Lightworks is still marginal. Avid/Adobe Anywhere/Everywhere is still nowhere. 8K now replaces 3D and HFR as the new "must have" tool of the future that nobody really wants. LTO, slow as it is, is still the best archiving medium. Seems like a year of consolidation, at least from 2 thousand miles away.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 20, 2015 at 1:00:18 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But to an outsider what was most surprising about NAB this year was the lack of surprises."

Great observation! Perhaps the industry is suffering a little from game-changer fatigue.

[Herb Sevush] "Smoke as an editor seems to have stalled out"

Smoke was decoupled from Flame last year, so Smoke and Flame development is no longer in lockstep. Smoke 2016 is due out later this year -- maybe IBC?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Apr 20, 2015 at 1:24:38 pm

[Herb Sevush] "As a non attendee it seemed that Black magic once again had the most interesting new products. The Ursa Mini looks very interesting for the money, as does the mini 4K cameras - we use a remote high angle camera for shooting down into high sided pots during cooking and these would be perfect when we move to 4K (not this year.) Resolve 12 looks closer to being a competitive NLE as opposed to an editing module inside of grading software.
"

I agree with Herb’s highlights. I’m in the process of of ordering the 5 lbs URSA Mini 4.6K (EF mount for me due to the cost of PL lenses and lack of accessibility to rent PL in my small town). Probably going with a more modest set of Rokinon Cine DS lenses (T2.2 16mm, T1.5 24mm, T1.5 35mm, T1.5 50mm, T1.5 85mm, T2.2 135mm).

Herb, I think you are referring to the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera, BMMMSC:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrostudiocamera4k

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 20, 2015 at 4:28:03 pm

Nobody else but me chagrined at the ridiculous over-hyping of drones for every (redacted) application?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 20, 2015 at 6:49:32 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But to an outsider what was most surprising about NAB this year was the lack of surprises"

Yes and no. NAB this year was very evolutionary and in fact, I felt like prod and post in general took a back seat to infrastructure items, as I've posted in another thread. That's not to say that plenty of companies didn't offer outstanding new products. They did. However, there wasn't a single attention grabber. 4K is "mainstream". A new issue is high dynamic range, but that will probably have to wait until there's an actual display standard. On the acquisition side, if you shoot log, you are already prepared for HDR.

[Herb Sevush] "Smoke as an editor seems to have stalled out"

Autodesk's story this year was Flame, Maya and 3ds Max. I asked marketing execs about Smoke and was told there is an update in the works for later this year. They were unable to get it ready in time for NAB.

[Herb Sevush] " 8K now replaces 3D"

I agree, except that 8K is actually a large noticeable difference. There really isn't much of one between HD and 4K at typical viewing distances for the average home environment. Plus, true support of 4K in a professional setting takes a lot more than most folks think, so a lot of facilities are feeling like that investment should just go to 8K. Why bother with the "interim" step of 4K? Right now, the real players in the pro TV world, who have been asked for 4K masters, are really just doing so for future-proofing. That is - conformed timelines and lists for effects rebuilds. No actual 4K masters, yet, with the exception of some of the Netflix shows and some feature films.

[Herb Sevush] "LTO, slow as it is, is still the best archiving medium"

Not in all cases. Sony is pushing optical archive. In my town, Golf Channel switched from LTO to optical because the LTO tapes were not holding up under heavy use.

It was a good show for storage, with showings of newer, more cost-effective solutions from Facilis and Avid. Also Open Drives was there (hot-rodded system used by Fincher's team). The speed of that system with Premiere and SpeedGrade was impressive.

The BEST camera demo - bar none - was Panasonic's Varicam35 set. This was an EXTREMELY DIM living room set and the cleanliness, quality and brightness of the image that this camera displayed was better than any other low light demo I've seen.

Resolve 12 demo'ed well. Until we see it out in the wild, we won't know what real performance it will have as an editor. After all, Resolve 11 demo'ed nicely last year, too, and it was disappointing in the wild.

[Herb Sevush] "Avid sounds like they are thrashing around, trying to figure out what kind of company they want to become"

I'm not sure that's the case. I was at the Avid Connect event and it was again generally well-received. Unfortunately, their story came across as a bit too audio-centric, as they introduced a number of new audio products, including a live sound console. At the same time, they didn't play up the MC 8.3.1 release at the keynote, which adds resolution-independent project and export support (primarily focused on adding 2K and 4K now).

Their challenge is attracting new users without changing the UI so radically that they lose their base. A tricky wire act. However, they have been successful in winning back a number of FCP "legacy" facilities (not just B-M). Complain about Avid all you want, but I never hear Adobe or Apple customers (in the large facility category) talk about hundreds of seats like I do hear about Media Composer. And that includes FCP X supporters like Light Iron. However, right now the momentum is clearly with Adobe and no one else.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:14:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] " I was at the Avid Connect event and it was again generally well-received. Unfortunately, their story came across as a bit too audio-centric, as they introduced a number of new audio products, including a live sound console. At the same time, they didn't play up the MC 8.3.1 release at the keynote, which adds resolution-independent project and export support (primarily focused on adding 2K and 4K now). Their challenge is attracting new users without changing the UI so radically that they lose their base. A tricky wire act."

Personally I've nothing to say about Media Composer other than I don't use it and everyone else I know who cuts in NYC does. My comments about their identity had to do with the push to have Isis work with non-avid products, their push, as you noted , with audio as opposed to MC, and also opening up Avid to third party I/O. While this might be a corporate vision of inclusion, to an outsider it looks like "hey let's throw everything up on the wall and see what sticks."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:29:07 pm

[Herb Sevush] "While this might be a corporate vision of inclusion, to an outsider it looks like "hey let's throw everything up on the wall and see what sticks.""

It's been a shift that's been happening for the last 5 or 6 years though. ISIS has worked with non-Avid NLEs for years but apparently it works 'better' now with PPro than it does with other NLEs. Avid connect is, AFAIK, the first time Avid video I/O hardware has worked with other NLEs, but MC working working with 3rd party I/O is not new.

Maybe Avid is currently making a marketing push showcasing it's 'openness' because it is still so widely regarded as being a closed system?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:52:19 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "ISIS has worked with non-Avid NLEs for years but apparently it works 'better' now with PPro than it does with other NLEs"

In fact, the Avid ISIS engineers worked some with the Adobe engineers to improve how Premiere Pro accesses media from drives in ways that their performance with ISIS is now closer to Media Composer's. According to Avid, ISIS performance with FCP X, MC and PPro is the same now. FWIW - the Open Drives engineers also worked with Adobe to improve PPro's media access (read/write) from drives.

[Andrew Kimery] "Avid connect is, AFAIK, the first time Avid video I/O hardware has worked with other NLEs, but MC working working with 3rd party I/O is not new."

Via the ACA councils, it was kicked around about how best to support 4K i/o going forward, since existing Avid hardware (Nitris and Mojo) would not support this, except as downsampled HD. The general advice from council members was for Avid to rely on third parties, rather than spend R&D dollars creating new hardware. The BMD box is an outgrowth of that. The extra Avid sauce is an embedded codec inside the unit to support Avid DNxHR. This unit will support Media Composer, but also FCP X, PPro and Resolve.

[Andrew Kimery] "Maybe Avid is currently making a marketing push showcasing it's 'openness' because it is still so widely regarded as being a closed system?"

This is correct, as well as the fact that the current CEO comes from a banking software background and is very interested in open solutions. This extends beyond the i/o unit, but also in SDKs related to Avid storage and other parts of the ecosystem.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:39:39 pm

[Herb Sevush] "My comments about their identity had to do with the push to have Isis work with non-avid products, their push, as you noted , with audio as opposed to MC, and also opening up Avid to third party I/O. While this might be a corporate vision of inclusion, to an outsider it looks like "hey let's throw everything up on the wall and see what sticks.""

My perspective from inside Avid was different. Customers were adamant about wanting support for third-party I/O, which most Avid customers already had on hand for a variety of other applications, including, yes, FCP, that they were also using. Hence their demand Unity/ISIS support for as many products as possible, at the highest possible level (ie, a lot more than just media).

Avid has always understood Media Composer as part of a workflow that included products from other companies, which is how it was designed from the outset. (Even moreso on the broadcast side, where no single company even tries to cover the entire workflow. Integrate with others or die.)

Avid's support for other companies gets re-announced when new iterations roll around, especially one as high-level as the new effort with Adobe, but the idea is squarely in line with the company's vision of meeting its customers' demands for working with as many other companies and products as the customer themselves do.

Not that this is any comment on the rest of your post, or on anyone's feelings that Avid isn't making this vision, or others, clear.

But I certainly understand how the idea of working so intimately with other companies to support customer needs might seem bizarre or distressing to an Apple customer. *rimshot* LOL

KIDDING. Not saying you're saying this, Herb.

But I think that a lot of Apple users have appropriately given up on expecting Apple to treat high-level third-party workflow interop as any kind of priority, or grew up in the industry in the past 15 years not even considering it a realistic option, or maybe not even desirable. Apple provides all, or I don't really need it...because if I needed it, then Apple would provide it, a sentiment that repeats in, if I may call it, an Infinite Loop.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 20, 2015 at 8:01:56 pm

[Tim Wilson] "But I think that a lot of Apple users have appropriately given up on expecting Apple to treat high-level third-party workflow interop as any kind of priority"

One of the interesting take-aways I had from NAB - as related to FCP X and Apple - was this. More than one facility manager told me that they had people within the facility who really liked X (including an owner). They also had a lot of creatives maintaining use of Macs for offline editing. However, when it came to the greater good of the overall facility and its workflow - especially for online and finishing - the decision was still made to stick with Avid, as well as increasingly PCs for workstations.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 20, 2015 at 11:49:50 pm

I am a bit worried over what could happen to FCP X after the Photos launch. Dissapointed big time, then again something could happen. Something wonderful. Who knows but hey they added 3D text! Perhaps that is something to be excited about, could see an application in well graded kitty videos or epic escalator fails. All crazy stuff on You Tube to watch.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 20, 2015 at 6:43:14 pm

I didn't attend this year, but the big stories for me were:

1. Ursa Mini - if the product lives up to the hype, I think BMD will sell a ton of them. I almost feel as if there HAS to be some sort of catch. Seven frame sizes (one anamorphic BTW), two compression ratios in raw, 15 stops of DR, 160 fps in 1080p, global AND rolling shutter, 12G SDI, all in a magnesium body.... for 5k, WHAT?

2. Resolve 12 - If BMD has solved it's playback issues, I think a lot more people will be spending time editing in Resolve, and not just debayering raw video, or doing color correction. I'm really anxious to try the new shot matching tools.

3. Panasonic's DVX200 - AF100 and GH4/5 users have been asking for a large sensor video camera with the features of the AF100, but the image quality of the GH5. Panasonic announced an updated DVX100 with a fixed lens... for some reason. The DVX200 will sell a lot of JVC LS300s, Canon C100s and Ursa Minis IMO. I think they've given up on sub 10k video cameras with interchangeable lens mounts.

4. Adobe CC 2014 - Really curious to try out the new tools in Premiere Pro and AE; face tracker, deeper integration with the Lumetri color engine. Speaking of that, does anyone else see the new 3D LUT creation tools as crazily underrated? My only complaint about Project Candy is that it's iOS only. Come on Adobe, you're better than that.

I will likely jump on the BMD bandwagon by purchasing the Ursa Mini and taking a second look at Resolve for editing. I don't love the fact that BMD gives high end software away for free... but if I'm being honest, I don't think I've ever heard the vision of a company so honestly articulated as it was by Grant Petty for the BMD NAB 2015 press conference... at least, not a vision that agreed with so much - especially the bit from 25:20 to 26:45.

Shawn

Shawn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:06:54 pm

As a REDUSER I actually stayed away from REDSTATE (pardon the pun) as much as possible.
Spend a great deal looking at Gimbals and Lights.
I was not impressed with SmallHD showing off their 502 without the eye-piece on an actual camera. Didnt get why they showed it off playing back videos :P
And of course it was all about 4K but got to see some clips at 8K booth.
My fave was the SuperMeet, fun to see people win stuff.
BMD gave away over 40K worth of gear.
So for me nothing was compelling other than the oohs and aahs from watching the Izotope guys show off RX 4.
That was actually cool :)
A few things I wished I had seen and one was a gimbal on a steadicam.
Oh and I forgot that FCPX was updated and FCPWorks ran a great seminar.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 21, 2015 at 2:00:42 am

iZotope RX4 is great software but I have been using it for six months so it is not a new product for NAB. Important to note that by adopting VST plugins in Resolve 12 you can use the iZotope RX plugins inside Resolve 12.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]