FORUMS: list search recent posts

x 2 (because I was told by the cow that I couldn't use so many caps

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImothy Auld
x 2 (because I was told by the cow that I couldn't use so many caps
on Apr 18, 2015 at 12:19:48 am

Is this update anything close to what you you were looking for?

Tim

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: x 2 (because I was told by the cow that I couldn't use so many caps
on Apr 18, 2015 at 12:48:07 am

It's everything I ever personally dreamed of. They chose to lead with nineties 3D brass glint photoshop titles four years in. You can't buy that stuff.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 18, 2015 at 2:03:38 am

Live Type.

Tim

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 18, 2015 at 2:10:30 am

Bingo! Looks like Live Type is being brought back to life. ;-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 18, 2015 at 3:37:35 am

Apple Presentation in the FCPWorks Suite:

After talking about their recent customer surveys my notes show the Apple rep saying
"65% of FCPX users make titles."

So they make significant improvements to the titling functions - a function that the majority of their customers say they use - and somehow this means Apple is still not listening to their customers.

Denver Riddle said something similar in the Color Finale Presentation. More than 60% of X users do their grading IN THE APP - so Color Finale was created to serve that market.

I just don't get it.

Is the problem that while they're clearly listening to their customers, including Hollywood and large scale national operations - those customers just aren't YOU?

And sorry, but by you, I kinda mean folks who can look at all the graphics power harnessed in the new 3D Title engine and see that as a sign that the core plumbing of X continues to evolve with the ability to do more real-time screen manipulation much, MUCH faster. Can nobody here extrapolate anything? We're all supposed to be creative thinkers. Is it really so hard for us not to get bogged down in strictly literal thinking?

"I don't need shiny extruded 3D titles, so it all sucks."

Honestly. I sat in session after session. How TED Talks is re-calibrating their huge harshly deadline driven workflow. How Lumberjack Systems is driving effort savings onto sets with real time shot logging that has a very real potential to revolutionize Reality and Sports and other workflows, how Indy Producers on panel from Suburban Cowboys saved days on set, and traditional Media Giants like Direct TV are happily reinventing their production processes via X - and here in the Forum it's the same old, same old.

Well. Keep on keeping on.

Nothing here has changed in 4 years, clearly.

Out there, seems to me that everything else pretty much continues to.

If you still want FCP 8 - Premier is waiting. I'm still extremely glad Apple let me skip directly over 8 and 9.

Actully, one big "buzz phrase" at NAB this year was OTT "over the top" - vaguely how content is going from producers to the audience without the need for all the distribution stages.

Seems like an initialism I may need to remember.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 18, 2015 at 2:47:00 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Apr 18, 2015 at 2:48:32 pm

Aaaaaah yes. The obligatory, trollish loaded question. *sigh*

[Bill Davis] "Is the problem that while they're clearly listening to their customers, including Hollywood and large scale national operations - those customers just aren't YOU? "

I'd say that pretty much sums it up, yes.

And yet, you'll oddly be seeing 3D titles and elements popping up all over the place in the next few months, wanna bet? Even though others have had it for so long: Hmmm... what does that tell you? ;)

Never mind that that is only one of many new features and improvements... that of course no one needs. Probably because no one else has anything like it to begin with... so how could it possibly be useful, right? :D

Is X the perfect NLE for every and anyone, with or without updates? Um... nope. Spoiler: there isn't one elsewhere on the market either and never will be.

- RK

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 18, 2015 at 4:50:57 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Apr 18, 2015 at 4:54:04 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "They chose to lead with nineties 3D brass glint photoshop titles"

90% of titles I do use 3D text. Not the ridiculous, over the top stuff, but subtle, like this:

done in AE/C4D fwiw...

If you're in Pr, 7, MC etc, to do this stuff you have to leave the app and go to another program. Now, if I need something like this (which I do) I just make it in app. Focus on the ridiculous use case all you like. The reality is, this is a very useful feature.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 18, 2015 at 5:37:41 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Apr 18, 2015 at 5:38:36 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Not the ridiculous, over the top stuff, but subtle, like this:"

Exactly! Same here.

What some clearly don't seem to grasp, is that it doesn't even have to have DEPTH! It can just as well be flat or just have an ever so slight extrusion with a tiny bevel that makes for a few highlights, maybe a little bump map, and the title ups in value exponentially. Of course the mere fact that FCP has it surely doesn't contribute constructively to some people's objectivity, let alone unbiased take on matters. ;)

Never mind the endless titles I've seen over the years (and still do) where people actually scale their title WAAAY up and back down for the classic "come from behind" effect... *facepalm*... which looks so utterly cheesy. I'm sure they're totally bummed that they now can have it in fact come from behind...

But I guess some are also just accustomed to using everything as-is in a lazy push-button fashion, ignoring the endless creative possibilities that a "90's" feature like that gives you, if you're clever and creative enough to use it and not just jump on prefab templates?

Strikes me as one of those "Aaaah dang them whipper-snappers and their fancy-shmancy three-dee gizmos! I 'member when we'z had to walk 58 miles through the snow to our titles and..." moments. ;-D

- RK

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 21, 2015 at 8:02:56 pm

[Charlie Austin] "done in AE/C4D fwiw."

[Charlie Austin] "a very useful feature"

And the heavy lifting of development is done: the textures, the lights, the camera. It can't be too difficult from here to apply that to a mask.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 22, 2015 at 8:55:32 am

[Richard Herd] "It can't be too difficult from here to apply that to a mask."

You mean apply to a vector shape of sorts? Right, it isn't. Simply make an SVG of it and use glyphter.com to make a font of it. Done.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:20:41 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "They chose to lead with nineties 3D brass glint photoshop titles four years in."

http://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-79.html

Yeah... totally 90's. No one wants that kinda crap. Especially not in realtime and fully customizable. Couldn't agree more.

- RK

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Apr 19, 2015 at 10:33:37 am
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Apr 19, 2015 at 11:08:00 am

- I don't care about 3D titles too much, but I'm sure other people will be very happy with this feature (which is in fact quite deep and produces very high quality results). So Apple seems to listen to all of its customers, and not only you or me. Check.

- What I care about most is stability and speed, and those have been improved even more with this update. My friends at Metronome produce 290 hours of on-air television content each year, with 30 editors on FCP X, so you can imagine they are absolutely thrilled with the speed gains. Check.

- FCPX XML has gotten yet another update and when you look inside it you can see a lot of hidden gems that will further improve the already excellent roundtripping with Resolve and with other apps. Seeing how hard they are working on this, FCP X and Resolve are growing up to become perfect partners. Check.

- Being able to save an unlimited combination of settings and filters as one single preset that can still be modified, both for video and for audio effects, is something I have requested for a long time. Now it's there. Check.

- The new GPU accelerated debayering (with the new RED plugin) is much faster now for people with hefty new Macros and iMacs. Check.

- But also people working on lower specced machines with Intel GPUs will be happy to see improved performance and rendering speed since the new version supports Intel GPU rendering and exporting. Check.

- The combined scopes were long overdue. But they're here now and at least they are accurate. Check.

- The full bezier Draw Mask, the fact that every filter has now built-in masking and color masking plus the ability to convert simple masks to points that can be modified is major for anyone working with color correction or compositing. Check.

- Most users are happy with the color correction as it is, but when you combine the new masking features with specialized add-ons for FCP X like Color Finale (RGB curves) and SliceX/Mocha (tracking) you now get a really powerful combination. Check.

- Optical Flow and Rate Conform have further been improved. Slow Motion has never looked that good. Check.

- Smart Collections for Libraries finally allow us to search for any clips across multiple Events. Perfect for complex productions that are shot over long periods. Check.

- Some hidden little updates like the fact that you now get a Notification on any of your devices when importing from a camera card is done, and you can eject the card from within the Notification. Check

- And of course there are the traditional bug fixes and further improved camera support. Check.

The update has been smooth for us. Most systems were updated mid-project without any hiccups aside from a few minor annoyances related to 2 older machines, which we solved the same day.

So yes, I'm fairly satisfied with this update. Check.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:12:21 am

Hi Ronny

Check on all of your counts, too.
You mentioned combining the new masks with the mocha tracker from slicex . Would love to make this work - how can you track the built-in masks?

Georg

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:24:59 am

Hi Georg,

Make sure you have the latest version of SliceX/Mocha. This includes a SliceX Extras folder in which you can select the "Color Finale with Shape Mask" preset with which you can mask and track Color Finale corrections.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Apr 20, 2015 at 9:50:58 am

Wow - extremely cool and useful!

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:55:46 pm

Will these start to eliminate the need to go to Resolve? At least reduce the need? Meaning, X, CF and Corel?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:02:22 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Will these start to eliminate the need to go to Resolve?"

That obviously depends entirely on your actual needs. Color Finale is clearly no comparison to Resolve past a certain (low) point.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 20, 2015 at 10:12:21 am

Big check on all points also, Ronny. Great write-up!

And a little birdy tells me, that they (CoreMelt) are working on getting the tracker to work with masks AND the 3D text! So it should become interesting.

- RK

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 20, 2015 at 10:48:29 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "And a little birdy tells me, that they (CoreMelt) are working on getting the tracker to work with masks AND the 3D text! So it should become interesting."

I do hope the bird is right :)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 20, 2015 at 10:51:18 am

[Steve Connor] "I do hope the bird is right :)"

Well... let's put it this way: the birdy works there. :D

It may even be public knowledge, just not sure, so I ain't namin' names. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:34:21 pm

Interesting. For it to work well, it would have to be a full 3D camera tracker, which is not something Mocha tracking is set up to do. I wonder if it would be a whole new plug-in. I'd buy it pretty quick as I'm tired of having to go out to AE to do camera tracking.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:52:18 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:04:44 pm

[Brett Sherman] "which is not something Mocha tracking is set up to do."

Not sure if you're talking about the "actual" mocha tracker (which it in fact is set up to do that i.e. has a camera tracker) or TrackX. But if TrackX, how would you need a "full camera tracker" to track titles? You can already track titles with TrackX.

(this SHOULD start at 4:41)

You could even do it with Motion's POINT tracker if you like for that matter.

(and this at 18:35)

Only in that case NONE of your tracking points (assuming you have more than one) can of course leave the frame.

Being planar, even the current TrackX does a superb job in comparison. Only the perspective of a 3D title won't change during the track, which obviously looks weird. That's the only missing part.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:10:38 pm

Oh, and I think it's fairly safe to say, that Apple didn't use anything but the Motion tracker in this: http://images.apple.com/media/us/mac/motion-5/2015/tour/3d-titles/motion5-3...

;)
- RK

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 21, 2015 at 1:37:03 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Apr 21, 2015 at 8:11:09 pm

According to Imagineer, "Mocha is not trying to replace the big 3D camera trackers out there." But you're right the full Mocha has some light camera tracking capabilities, though not implemented in SliceX or Track X. And not all scenes lend themselves to planar tracking. I just wonder how they would implement that in a simplified interface. It certainly would be useful, if not applicable in all applications.

On the example you showed, moving around a 3D title needs 3D camera data. So you either need a 3D camera tracker (like what's in AE and not in Motion) or you do "fake" 3D camera tracking, which is picking a point in the scene, tracking it, and moving your 3D title in reference to that point with a stationary camera, guessing the focal length of the lens. That works in some instances, but for more complicated motions it doesn't work. You'll notice all the examples have a single motion to them without panning, and there isn't any orbiting. I often track handheld shots. This method usually fails with that situation.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:47:02 am

[Brett Sherman] "guessing the focal length of the lens."

You're shifting the goal posts here. There was never any talk of focal lengths (aside from not even having them in FCP). Obviously one needs to keep the comparison at a reasonable level. Since, no, plugins such as those from CoreMelt are never intended to replace packages such as SynthEyes, Boujou, the full mocha, PFTrack or what not else. That'd be a pretty silly and disproportionate assumption. But I'd say what they offer and especially at what PRICE-POINT, they're a steal in comparison and will in fact do great with the vast majority of track work that I see people asking for in this context.

[Brett Sherman] "You'll notice all the examples have a single motion to them without panning, and there isn't any orbiting."

Am I right in assuming that you haven't actually ever used Track or SliceX? Because they do in fact offer transformation AND perspective tracking. So pans are not in fact as big of a deal as you seem to assume. They're just a lot more fiddly than a simple track, which is probably why they chose not to go into them in the demos. But then, if that's what you need and don't like what TrackX gives you, the alternatives are out there.

But again, keeping the plugins in reasonable and fair perspective, they're not intended to nor will they replace a "real" dedicated camera tracker. That's like assuming the built-in 3D titles are going to somehow replace something like Cinema 4D or even mObject. Of course they won't. But it will be by far enough for a lot of people.

- RK

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:58:51 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "...enough for a lot of people"

Now THERE's a new forum name. "Good Enough For A Lot of People Or Not: The Debate."

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 23, 2015 at 1:05:14 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Now THERE's a new forum name. "Good Enough For A Lot of People Or Not: The Debate.""

Perfect! Because that's what it's really all about. Apple, Adobe and Avid all want to be good enough for a lot of people. More than the others. And so they battle it out with a winner never to be determined!

;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]