FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I best convert 60i footage to 24p for use in a project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How do I best convert 60i footage to 24p for use in a project?
on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:08:20 pm
Last Edited By Noam Osband on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:11:45 pm

I shot some stuff with my Canon XA-10 and made the very stupid mistake of using the PF24 setting. Instead of shooting in true 24 fps, that setting, as you guys have taught me, is actually shooting 60i.

I'm importing this footage into FCP X and the footage shows up as 29.97i.

I want my footage to be 24fps.

How should I do this? Should I import the footage and then change the movie files in Compressor? Should I be importing differently than just using FCP X to make my pro res file? Before I get into the project, I want to get this part down correctly.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: How do I best convert 60i footage to 24p for use in a project?
on Apr 18, 2015 at 1:36:06 am

Just to be clear, when you say you want it to be 24fps do you really mean 23.976? Because even if it says 29.97i it is probably playing at a cadence of 24 frames per second (with pulldown added) in the 29.97 frames per second. Make sense? You should be able to go frame by frame and see the duplicated frames.

You can remove the pulldown with Cinema Tools if you have that app from the old Final Cut Studio 3 and make the clip 23.976.

It would be very rare indeed to require a true straight 24 frames per second unless you were going to make a film print. Otherwise for anything video it is 29.97 and 23.976 fps.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Apr 18, 2015 at 2:57:17 am

23.97 is what I want.

Any tips for using Cinema Tools? I've never used it before.

Return to posts index

Bill Streeter
on Apr 18, 2015 at 1:52:50 pm

No need for Cinema tools. The answer is so simple you won't believe it. Rather than allowing FCPX to auto set the frame rate of a project when you add your first clip, just create a project and set the desired frame rate and FCPX will auto conform any clip you add to it after that no matter what frame rate it is in. Of course you'll need to deal with the interlacing too which will reduce your resolution but there's no getting around that. You can deinterlace in FCPX too: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/567-how-to-deinterlace-in-fcpx-wi...

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Apr 18, 2015 at 7:10:51 pm

So I want to apply a deinterlace filter to every single clip that I'm using? These clips have all been exported as 29.97i from FCP X. Just deinterlace all and add to a 23.97 clip? How badly does it affect resolution?

Return to posts index

William Streeter
on Apr 19, 2015 at 4:54:34 pm

My understanding is that deinterlace cuts the resolution by half, technically, but it interpolates the missing parts of the frame info so it doesn't look that bad. Also I wouldn't bother doing it until you have the cut mostly done. Then select all the clips in your project and do the deinterlace in the info tab at once.

Bill Streeter
Filmmaker
HydraulicPictures.com
BillStreeter.net

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Apr 19, 2015 at 11:59:16 pm

I worry about doing that only cause I wonder if it will lead to any sorts of effects I've applied getting wonky. Does that make sense?

How big a difference is there in the resolution? Is there a technical answer?

I'm so pissed I made this mistake....

Return to posts index

William Streeter
on Apr 21, 2015 at 2:18:12 am

You can always test it and see how it looks. This kind of stuff is non-destructive so there's no harm in testing it out. One other way to deinterlace that is probably easier: just make your project 1080p rather than 1080i and any clip you add will be deinterlaced--so even simpler.

Bill Streeter
Filmmaker
HydraulicPictures.com
BillStreeter.net

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on Apr 24, 2015 at 2:47:34 am

You should take a clip and test both of these methods:
1. the file conversion using motion-compensated retiming in Compressor
2. Using Rate Conform in Final Cut with Optical Flow turned on.

See which method will provide the best quality. Using Rate Conform may be best in case you need to switch from Optical Flow to Frame Blending for any given clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]