FORUMS: list search recent posts

The return of Reference movie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
The return of Reference movie
on Apr 17, 2015 at 7:44:35 pm

I learned direct from Apple that the url Reference movie Quicktime file type in Yosemite is indeed the equivalent of the old 32bit reference movie we all know and love.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2404/_index.html#//appl...

Ask your favorite QT app to support it! Starting with FCPX!

John

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: The return of Reference movie
on Apr 18, 2015 at 3:04:27 pm

Waaaaay back in the day when any amount of disk space actually meant beaucoup bucks, I would occasionally use ref movies. That is, until I realized that using them would eventually, sooner or later, lead to a completely useless clip, once so much as one frame changed in the original referenced clip/timeline/whatever.

But since even TBs of space can barely be expressed in cent amounts in terms of of cost nowadays, I would neither see any point nor advantage to using them, nor do I miss the possibility even the least bit. And I'm pretty sure that they would only wreak massive havoc and discontent, since I'm fairly sure the vast majority of people that were to use it (that haven't been in the business for a minimum of 10+ years) wouldn't even know what it is (just like a seeming 99% of FCP 7 users btw) and only find out the hard way... when it's too late.

How is it that AFAIK no other NLE offers it either? I have a sneaking feeling...

- RK

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 19, 2015 at 1:55:36 am

Yes you do need a buttoned down workflow and a wide spread reliable shared storage environment. All of which we have. Our users understand the limits and advantages of ref mov. For us it's mainly a time saver. We move 100s of TBs of files into Episode watch folders with custom metadata. Doing the same thing with self-contained movies would takes many minutes to copy each fie compared to a fraction of a seconds for a reference movies.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 19, 2015 at 4:30:22 am

[John Heagy] "Yes you do need a buttoned down workflow and a wide spread reliable shared storage environment. All of which we have. Our users understand the limits and advantages of ref mov. For us it's mainly a time saver. We move 100s of TBs of files into Episode watch folders with custom metadata. Doing the same thing with self-contained movies would takes many minutes to copy each fie compared to a fraction of a seconds for a reference movies."

I was going to post something similar. When I worked at a larger facility we (the 13 or so editors plus 5-6 producers) would place reference movies in watch folders on the SAN for compression. Big time saver compared to self-contained exports (especially when content is going up daily and being first means getting the most views).

[Robin S. Kurz] "How is it that AFAIK no other NLE offers it either? I have a sneaking feeling..."

Avid offers it and PPro used to w/a plugin (not sure if the plugin works with PPro CC or not).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]