FORUMS: list search recent posts

What I plan On Doing and After A week my Take...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
What I plan On Doing and After A week my Take...
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:46:40 am

So everybody is upset at apple and I believe everyone has absolutely every right to be. But apple has shown us what they're doing, They are getting out of the PRO industry. Do we have a right to be enraged? absolutely! But it doesn't change the fact that I think apple is waving goodbye to the industry. Everything the company is doing points to this. Allot of people are hopeful that updates are coming and they'll fix missing features and such, but honestly...can you really see this app in a professional Broadcast house in the next 5 years? Its not that I dont think it can be used in a professional way, I know it will get to that point in a couple of years, but the fact of the matter is FCP X presented itself as a Consumer product and I dont think CEOs and Presidents of Post houses that have more than 4 seats are going to put money into investing in FCpX to deliver there spots., the damage to Apples reputation has been done. I even remember reading a Article about how the designer (Randy) and how he designed the program from the point of view on a vacation, and how he could make editing easier while on a boat or in an RV. Any who, I'm very sad and angry to see apple going this way, especially since FCP started to really get its name in the industry and pushing AVid Aside. FCP is dead/dying but Im sure FCp7 will live on like Shake due to its high community. I recently Bought Avid 5.5, and Premiere pro, and Am training extensively, to become an asset in the Post world. ITs hard, I have to get out of my mindset of how Final Cut edits but I'm prepared to move into avid. I advise all Tier 2 editors to do the same. I think the Rants are starting to settle down on the cow now. and I hope you take my 2 cents lightly.

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

james carey
Re: What I plan On Doing and After A week my Take...
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:06:41 am

I agree with you. After a week of reading and ranting, i am calm now. I really would like to be proven wrong, but I can't see FCPx arriving at the overall level of usability of FCP7 for at least a couple of years. That's really too bad. I think Apple has made a big mistake and underestimated the worth of the huge amount of cache it had garnered by having one of the most useful and professional editing tools in this market place. They made evangelists out of many of us, but now have turned as many into detractors. Not a wise business move in my opinion, but i am not privy to their books and projections. Their stock holders will have to decide for themselves - and they don't care about my disruptions.

In the meantime, FCP7 still works, and will for long enough for us to decide on what tools will replace it, and train ourselves to use them. PPro 5.5 is looking good, as is AVID MC. Editors know that the hard and creative part of editing is done in our heads, the tools are just that. But I will miss this particular tool. That is all.

Jim Carey
Director of Video, Radical Entertainment
linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jcarey256
mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,17212/

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:15:36 am

[james carey] "I think Apple has made a big mistake and underestimated the worth of the huge amount of cache it had garnered by having one of the most useful and professional editing tools in this market place. They made evangelists out of many of us, but now have turned as many into detractors. Not a wise business move in my opinion, but i am not privy to their books and projections. Their stock holders will have to decide for themselves - and they don't care about my disruptions."

Agree! Apple utterly failed at PR on this one. They made some pretty obvious mistakes for a company that should know better about uncomfortable transitions (OS X? Intel? Seriously?). Apple usually abhors bad PR, so we may not have seen the end of this (but it sure is taking them a long time if we haven't heard the last of them on this). This is at least as bad PR-wise as Antenna-gate, even if the stakes aren't as high. Conan? The WSJ? FCP went mainstream news and it was all bad press.

All they have to do is put FCS2009 back on the market and hold up their end of the bargain on the potential of FCPX and all will be forgiven (at least for my part).

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:09:22 am

[Greg Burke] "Allot of people are hopeful that updates are coming and they'll fix missing features and such, but honestly...can you really see this app in a professional Broadcast house in the next 5 years?"

More like 2 or 3. Or less. The delta between FCPX today and where it needs to be in order to anchor a high-end workflow isn't nearly as wide as everyone seems to think. Everyone is upset Apple is passing a lot of the pro feature responsibility off to third parties, but this is how FCPX will get full-on pro a lot faster than if Apple had to do it all itself.

[Greg Burke] "but the fact of the matter is FCP X presented itself as a Consumer product"

Oh? As far as I can tell that is a only the opinion of disaffected FCP users. Apple seems to think they built a pro app.

[Greg Burke] "I even remember reading a Article about how the designer (Randy) and how he designed the program from the point of view on a vacation, and how he could make editing easier while on a boat or in an RV"

Yeah. He designed what ultimately became the new iMovie as a logging tool because all other logging tools sucked. They did, and the fact that Apple morphed that project into iMovie, which bears a superficial resemblance to FCPX, has nothing at all to do with what FCPX can and cannot do in a professional setting, now or in the future. Nothing.

[Greg Burke] "I recently Bought Avid 5.5, and Premiere pro, and Am training extensively, to become an asset in the Post world."

Knowing multiple tools is a good thing for any editor. You won't go hungry knowing how to cut on Avid, and that was true for the last ten years as well. Hone your craft. I'll bet you a beer you'll want to know FCPX one day too.

Good luck and good hunting!

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:19:10 am

[Andrew Richards] "More like 2 or 3. Or less. The delta between FCPX today and where it needs to be in order to anchor a high-end workflow isn't nearly as wide as everyone seems to think. Everyone is upset Apple is passing a lot of the pro feature responsibility off to third parties, but this is how FCPX will get full-on pro a lot faster than if Apple had to do it all itself."

Well At the Post House I work at, as well as 4 other creative houses in the area that we work with have sworn off Apple "Pro" Products altogether so I have a hard time believing that Post houses will depend on such a consumer based program to get he job done. I mean it took FCP 10 Years to get respect in the Film and Broadcast industry. and apple just hit the reset switch.

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

james carey
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:38:56 am

[Greg Burke] "I mean it took FCP 10 Years to get respect in the Film and Broadcast industry. and apple just hit the reset switch."

And that is the heartbreak.

Jim Carey

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:49:28 am

[Greg Burke] "apple just hit the reset switch."

To me this is half the story. They also disingenuously told people this would be a replacement to FCS and the pros weren't being left behind during the rumourfest surrounding the supermeet...people were right to have suspicions, but they tried to dismiss them knowing full well what they were unleashing...

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:06:25 am

[Jamie Franklin] "They also disingenuously told people this would be a replacement to FCS and the pros weren't being left behind during the rumourfest surrounding the supermeet...people were right to have suspicions, but they tried to dismiss them knowing full well what they were unleashing..."

Totally true. They completely mismanaged expectations for FCPX and continue to botch the response with their inaction. The FAQ is not an effective response to the situation. Pulling FCStudio from the market exacerbated the problem, and in my opinion is the the worst part of all this. The company that shifted its users from OS 9 to OS X and from PPC to Intel should know better.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:02:33 am

[Greg Burke] "Well At the Post House I work at, as well as 4 other creative houses in the area that we work with have sworn off Apple "Pro" Products altogether so I have a hard time believing that Post houses will depend on such a consumer based program to get he job done. I mean it took FCP 10 Years to get respect in the Film and Broadcast industry. and apple just hit the reset switch."

That may be, but that doesn't mean the capabilities won't be there. And again with the "consumer-based" canard; if superficial UI similarities to iMovie are where you stopped evaluating FCPX, then you really gave it short shrift. I won't argue it is ready for broadcast/film/tape workflows today. It isn't. But it has a very solid base on which it can rapidly eclipse the feature set of FCP7, and that seems to pass the "pro" litmus test, don't you think? FCP7 was a hodgepodge of archaic code for deprecated APIs all based on a media playback architecture (QuickTime) that was built for event-based media and not time-based media. Hardly the platform to continue developing if you want to compete in a world of multiple cores and 64-bit OSes.

Also, it did not take ten years for FCP to get respect. It took more like 4 or 5. Ten years would have meant no one took FCP seriously till FCP7. It was a serious player at v4.5 in 2004, and Murch cut Cold Mountain on v3 in 2003. FCPX, if Apple follows through with it, will be ready for prime time in a much shorter interval. If the jilted FCP users of today want to hold a grudge after FCPX matures, that is their (and your) prerogative.

Avid and Adobe will surely benefit from all this, and that is a good thing. Competition breeds innovation from all players and delivers choice to us all.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

james carey
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:08:53 am

[Andrew Richards] "Also, it did not take ten years for FCP to get respect. It took more like 4 or 5. "

true enough, but it did take ten years for apple to grow its market share to just north of 50%. It will be interesting to see where they sit one year from now. Or if they even care.

Jim Carey

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:34:02 am

[james carey] "true enough, but it did take ten years for apple to grow its market share to just north of 50%. It will be interesting to see where they sit one year from now. Or if they even care."

Indeed. They're breaking a lot of eggs for this omlette...

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:13:08 am

[Andrew Richards] "That may be, but that doesn't mean the capabilities won't be there. And again with the "consumer-based" canard; if superficial UI similarities to iMovie are where you stopped evaluating FCPX, then you really gave it short shrift. I won't argue it is ready for broadcast/film/tape workflows today. It isn't. But it has a very solid base on which it can rapidly eclipse the feature set of FCP7, and that seems to pass the "pro" litmus test, don't you think? FCP7 was a hodgepodge of archaic code for deprecated APIs all based on a media playback architecture (QuickTime) that was built for event-based media and not time-based media. Hardly the platform to continue developing if you want to compete in a world of multiple cores and 64-bit OSes.

Also, it did not take ten years for FCP to get respect. It took more like 4 or 5. Ten years would have meant no one took FCP seriously till FCP7. It was a serious player at v4.5 in 2004, and Murch cut Cold Mountain on v3 in 2003. FCPX, if Apple follows through with it, will be ready for prime time in a much shorter interval. If the jilted FCP users of today want to hold a grudge after FCPX matures, that is their (and your) prerogative.

Do you remember the "tucker" a car that was made in the 50's it was safer, cheaper and better than allot of current cars out at the time, but then you remember what happened to it. This is how I personally see FCPX i dont think its bad program by any means, Its actually very different and intuitive, but....After using it for 2 weeks, I wouldn't/Can't use on any of my 3 current gigs. it just isn't ready like you said it will take time to mature. And hey I might be wrong and people may start using it on a professional basis and if so I'll learn it better.

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:42:38 am

I'm personally flabberghasted about how this release was handled and how many essential professional features are missing.

I'll learn FCPX because I'm sure I'll have a client at some point who will insist that I use it and I am not going to turn down money because of prejudices against software... but for my regular work I'm sticking with FCP7 and Premiere Pro.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:06:51 pm

As a native Detroiter, I have to make a slight correction to your analogy. The reason that the Tucker failed had little to do with any flaws in the vehicle. It was political strong arming from the larger corporations that killed the Tucker.

A much more accurate analogy would be the Ford Edsel.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:23:42 pm

At the risk of being accused of being deluded to the point of derangement (and it wouldn't be the first time) I have to say that my sole loyalty to the Mac platform has been based on FCP. I run FCP 7, CS5 and
Avid on MacPro based systems. When the time comes to purchase new computers in the next few years, I will likely be looking at that other platform.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:04:12 pm

[Greg Burke] "Well At the Post House I work at, as well as 4 other creative houses in the area that we work with have sworn off Apple "Pro" Products altogether so I have a hard time believing that Post houses will depend on such a consumer based program to get he job done. "

It's very easy to swear something off when it doesn't do what you need it to anyway. I have serious doubts that it will be so easy once the feature set is a bit more complete, especially if it ends up achieving some mass-market success and it's the new thing all the kids are teaching themselves in a year or two.

Again, I'd point out that everyone seems to have forgotten how FCP got into the pro market in the first place. It wasn't owners of high-end post facilities sitting down and saying "We have made a comprehensive study of the feature set of this new application, and officially approve it". It was people who adopted FCP because they had no money, or because its user interface looked a lot more approachable to new editors than Avid's did. These folks later moved up the industry food chain, and took along the tools they were comfortable with.

Well, FCP X is even cheaper, its UI is even more approachable, and Apple's start has risen considerably over the last decade (even ignoring iOS devices; they also sell ~5x as many Macs). Yet everyone seems to be acting as if these factors don't matter, and it's the determinations that the High Priests of Post Production are presently making in dark rooms that will ultimately determine which products succeed or fail. Really, they didn't have that power over the last decade. They certainly won't have it over the next.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]