FORUMS: list search recent posts

So upgraders, how's your performance?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So upgraders, how's your performance?
on Apr 15, 2015 at 1:55:37 pm

I did the stupid thing and upgraded mid project but immediately noticed the difference in speed on my 2008 MP. There's a definite improvement on waveform redraw and lag seems a LOT better.

Tried out the new 3D titles on the client, he thought they looked a bit dated :)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: So upgraders, how's your performance?
on Apr 15, 2015 at 2:52:06 pm

Everything here worked great so far. We don't yet use AVCHD, so hopefully that glitch gets patched before we need it.

A co-workers' 2008 imac at home had major trouble and crashes, plus some kind of conflict with qmaster. His FCP7 partition works fine still, but he's having to nuke his Yosemite install, FCPX, and pro apps as well as itunes.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2015 at 3:07:55 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 15, 2015 at 3:08:14 pm

I'm angry on how Sony F55 footage gets rewrapped.

I've only updated a laptop so far, and the performance difference is quite noticeable. Can't wait to update the tubes, but I'm waiting to see what's happening with this Sony import "bug" or "Feature".

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Apr 15, 2015 at 5:08:11 pm
Last Edited By Petros Kolyvas on Apr 15, 2015 at 5:08:58 pm

While I'm suffering my own Panasonic-brand AVCHD 1080p30 issues, performance is much improved which is really fantastic because the workflow was already really quick in my opinion, it just used to involve a lot of waiting around for UI elements to redraw/refresh.

So yeah, it's fast.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 15, 2015 at 6:47:08 pm

H.264 export is awesome for me. Also waveform redraw much improved. Not mad at this update at all.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2015 at 8:41:49 pm

- Clips with Alpha channels rendered from Motion that start at 100% opacity don't work in FCPX as the alpha override gets stuck to "ignore". Clips that start transparent work just fine as well as alpha channels rendered from Ae work just fine (no matter where the alpha starts).

- AVCHD is finicky.

- MXF Import has changed for the worse for Sony cameras (and perhaps others)

- Optical Flow is causing crashes

- Keyframing still sucks despite it being a featured update.

- ProRes exports from 10.2 aren't working on KiPros

But the performance is better, and persistent masks are great. This much is true. QC doesn't seem to be any better, sorry to say. It's harder and harder to remain optimistic here. The sky is not falling, but dammit if it ain't cloudy.

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Apr 15, 2015 at 9:07:15 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "But the performance is better, and persistent masks are great. This much is true. QC doesn't seem to be any better, sorry to say. It's harder and harder to remain optimistic here. The sky is not falling, but dammit if it ain't cloudy."

I have to agree; short of a master audio buss we can use for edits that don't need to go to Logic/PT/Nuendo - this seemed like the update everyone was looking for. The bugs, unfortunately, are showstoppers for some.

Why don't they release a "FCP X" preview at NAB - work out the (hopefully tiny) kinks, and release a robust, stable product? #theyllneverlearn

When it's working - man does it fly however. The output delay through AJA/HD-SDI has been halved as well which is great (possibly confirmation bias here).

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 15, 2015 at 11:26:59 pm

"Save Current frame" from and HD time line to png or tiff takes 4 ever and frequently saves blank frames.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:17:33 am

Did a recovery partition permission repair and everything is back up to speed . I had to update to 10.10.3, then permission repair and now I'm rolling.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:01:41 am

I'm experiencing slower timeline operations and short 'beachballs'. Overall, slower than the last version on my 6 core Mactubeâ„¢.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]