FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Finale

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
Color Finale
on Apr 15, 2015 at 9:51:25 am

I thought I saw someone mention this in the myriad of FCPX 10.2 posts. Anyone using this? Is it a good add? There is a 25% off offer via No Film School and thought about picking it up. Thanks in advance.

http://try.colorgradingcentral.com/colorfinale/

Scott

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Color Finale
on Apr 15, 2015 at 11:39:22 am

Quite amazing. My trial ran out and I'll be getting it. I wish it had masks, but perhaps he knew what was coming and that 10.2 would cover that need somewhat.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2015 at 11:49:43 am

Another vote for Finale. It adds curves, LUTS, and the vector grading is very very useful.

So glad that X now has customizable scope displays to be able to measure multiple values at once.

It's worth it if you color correct/grade in X, even if you use it just to apply LUTs.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 15, 2015 at 12:42:58 pm

What do you feel it compares to? Resolve? The new Premiere?

I think I read that masks are coming soon to a CF release.

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2015 at 12:54:33 pm

I don't think I would compote it to Resolve, it's not going to match feature for feature, but the speed, quality, and control, and advantage of staying within FCPX is well worth the dough.

I used CGC's LUT Utility before Finale and it was the best performing LUT plugin available, in my opinion.

The new Liumetri workflow looks great in Pr, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't compare.

One of my favorite features in Finale is the percentage slider so you can dial any and all layers back just a little if the levels have gone a bit too far, but things are balanced where you want them to be.

Also, again, the vector grades are really powerful.

I haven't had time to test it out with X's new masks quite yet, but looking forward to that.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 15, 2015 at 2:13:34 pm

Definitely worth it. It's the only real curve solution available in FCP X. It's a little awkward with dual displays, it keeps snapping back to the main display. And it is a bit buggy, crashes FCP X occasionally. But, I finally feel like I have control over the image.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 15, 2015 at 3:55:49 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Definitely worth it. It's the only real curve solution available in FCP X. It's a little awkward with dual displays, it keeps snapping back to the main display. And it is a bit buggy, crashes FCP X occasionally. But, I finally feel like I have control over the image."

I haven't had any bugginess except that the trial never expired. Now I'm afraid to pay for it for fear that it will stop working! And yes, I did report it to them.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 15, 2015 at 3:48:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Also, again, the vector grades are really powerful."

My favorite feature!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:30:24 pm

I bought it today, installed it. In FCPX, after I drop it on a shot, when I go to the inspector, I don't see any controls. No Color finale GUI. How do I get it? I also bought Impulz LUTs on sale.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:32:27 pm

What Mac and GFX card do you have? It's not supported by my Ati 7950

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:58:07 am

Hi Steve. The first one I tried was on a retina MacBook Pro with a NVIDIA GT650M. Open CL 1.2.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Tim O'Grady
on Apr 15, 2015 at 8:27:41 pm

Here's the support notes from Denver Riddle. Skip to #3.

1) If you're running Mavericks 10.9 you may experience
a crash or it won't function properly; currently we're
not supporting Mavericks (we have stated this)

2) Even if you've updated to Yosemite but have an older graphics
card supporting OpenCL v1.0 this will cause a crash in Final Cut.
Color Finale requires OpenCL v1.2 click

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823

To see if your graphics card supports OpenCL v1.2

3) If after installing you don't see the "Open" button to
launch CF in the inspector, make sure the 'ColorFinale' app
has been moved to the main /Applications folder.
If that still doesn't work please move to trash bin
and reinstall from .dmg (make sure FCP X is closed while reinstalling)

4) If you're a prior LUT Utility owner and want to use your
same LUTs in CF, run the 'ColorFinale' app from main Applications
folder. Go to "File" then down to "Import from LUT Utility"
this is a migration assistant. Be sure to RESTART FCPX to
refresh the changes. ALSO IMPORTANT THAT YOU DON'T HAVE
ANY LUTS APPLIED IN THE TIMELINE WHILE PERFORMING THIS.

5) If you want your LUTs to show up as 'Groups' you can do this
by going to /Movies/Motion Templates/Effects/Color Finale/LUTs
in the Finder and creating groups with folders. Restart FCP X
to refresh the changes. OR you can use create 'Groups' with
LUT Manager, which you can run from 'ColorFinale' app or within LUT Utility tool.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:58:42 am

Thanks Tim. Will try uninstalling and reinstalling again.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 16, 2015 at 2:01:05 am

Another thing guys, if I have Color Finale and Impulz LUTs, I don't need the FCP LUT utility, do I? I can apply the LUTs through ColorFinale, can't I?
I'm asking this because they have it on offer:D

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2015 at 2:14:41 am

If you have Color Finale, you don't need a separate LUT Utility as its built in.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 16, 2015 at 4:59:16 am

Thanks Jeremy. Thought so too. Now, to get it working.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 16, 2015 at 5:43:38 am

Hi Tim.
Uninstalled Color Finale, reinstalled from .dmg. I was asked dot upgrade to the latest version, did that. Activated my license. Went into FCP X, same thing. I can apply the effect, but no "open" option or GUI. Am stumped.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:33:23 am

So, i deactivated my license on my MBP, installed on my MAcPro (with ATI HD 5770 and Quadro 4000). I can 'open' Color Finale GUI now. But when I go to the titles menu, I can't find Color Finale grade for applying adjustment layer. Am not sure what else I can do.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Tim O'Grady
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:36:55 pm

Hi Kannan,
Reinstalling Color Finale fixed my issue and the adjustment layers are there, so I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. Have you emailed Denver Riddle? Due to increased workload he only checks his email twice a day, but he responds quickly and has been very helpful. Good luck.

denver@colorgradingcentral.com

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 17, 2015 at 5:00:41 am

After unistalling/reinstalling a few times I have the adjustment layers now. But still don't have the "open' option in the inspector. On my MP tower, I've got everything and it works.
Yes, I've emailed him and am waiting for his response.
Thanks for your input
Kannan

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:50:02 am

Color Finale is one of the better color plugins and it works really well in combination with the new Apple Color not least because it sits adjacent in the FX browser.

Generally it's received good feedback from users. I have to admit that I mainly use it for applying LUTs and tweeting the core levels before moving on to the FCPX color application for secondary corrections. After 4 years I've actually got very used to the color board and and also like the way the Apple controls can all be done on the keyboard whereas with Color Finale one is trying to do pretty minute adjustments with the mouse. Denver Riddle has already adjusted the calibration on his controls, its now very easy to move about within a color wheel and with a hit on his hands I'm sure we will see a bunch of further improvements.

I'd like to see keyboard control. I'd also like the ability to be able to resize the floating control display as I'working on a 2 monitor, different resolution , system and if I move the panel over onto my 1080p monitor it almost takes up half the screen.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:13:53 am

Thanks all -

I am doing the trial and really like what I see so far.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:55:46 pm

Plus it's 30% off today using nab2015 as the coupon code.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jul 11, 2017 at 4:54:15 pm

[Mark Dobson] "Color Finale is one of the better color plugins and it works really well in combination with the new Apple Color not least because it sits adjacent in the FX browser.

Generally it's received good feedback from users. I have to admit that I mainly use it for applying LUTs and tweeting the core levels before moving on to the FCPX color application for secondary corrections. After 4 years I've actually got very used to the color board and and also like the way the Apple controls can all be done on the keyboard whereas with Color Finale one is trying to do pretty minute adjustments with the mouse. Denver Riddle has already adjusted the calibration on his controls, its now very easy to move about within a color wheel and with a hit on his hands I'm sure we will see a bunch of further improvements.

I'd like to see keyboard control. I'd also like the ability to be able to resize the floating control display as I'working on a 2 monitor, different resolution , system and if I move the panel over onto my 1080p monitor it almost takes up half the screen."

Did they ever implement "resize the floating control display?"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 16, 2015 at 5:28:14 pm

Masks would be great, but not a deal breaker anymore since every effect now has a dedicated shape or color mask in FCP X. Now, if CF could add a trackable draw mask to any of it's layers, wow. It'd be like a little Resolve plugin.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:10:39 pm

[Bret Williams] "Now, if CF could add a trackable draw mask to any of it's layers, wow. It'd be like a little Resolve plugin."

yup. And eliminate a "trip" out of the software. Very nice.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Shane Bhatla
on Dec 3, 2015 at 8:26:11 am
Last Edited By Shane Bhatla on Dec 3, 2015 at 8:26:46 am

Talking about masks with Color Finale...

Look no further! SliceX Free allows you to use masks with Color Finale. You can get it at http://www.coremelt.com/free for a limited version and then later buy the complete version, if needed, from our website!

Shane
Coremelt

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Dec 3, 2015 at 8:54:53 pm

FWIW, here's a just completed web pilot that utilizes both Color Finale and Core Melt plug ins. Great results with both. Really speeds the workflow not having to go out of the NLE for color correction and a lot of effects, motion tracking, etc.

Return to posts index

Shane Bhatla
on Dec 8, 2015 at 7:21:14 am

Michael, would we (Coremelt) be able to share that video? Or use that for the customer reel?

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Dec 8, 2015 at 11:58:43 am

Hi Shane:

Yes—I'm a big Coremelt fan so it would by my pleasure. Feel free to contact me directly at mike(at)screendorpictures(dot)com

You could also use the contact page at our website: http://www.screendorpictures.com

Thanks, Shane!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]