FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Watch: Biggest Launch in Company History

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Apple Watch: Biggest Launch in Company History
on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:09:06 am
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:56:59 am

Ima have to start by telling you "I told you," because I'm just that way, and because I DID. Look it up. I said that it was gonna be huge for Apple, because it's already huge for other people -- and anything huge for someone else probably gonna get huger when Apple comes.

But I wasn't thinking THIS big: $500 million.

On the first day.

Nearly 1 million U.S. consumers preordered the tech giant's first smartwatch when it went on sale last Friday.

Apple's latest offering was preordered by 957,000 people, who spent an average of $503.83 on the device, putting the watch on track to be the company's biggest new product release ever.

Note two things:

The number of units. A million out of the gate? Compare to 74 days to sell the first million iPhones, and 28 days for the first million iPads.

As Tim Cook loves to remind people, the press and user base largely blasted Apple for the iPad...before they got their hands on it.

Signs point to an Apple target of 20 million of 'em in the first year. I'm betting the over.

The average order of $500+. Another "tolja so" from me: I've been saying here that people want MORE ways to give Apple MORE money. (Computers? Old news.)

Especially interesting to me: an average of 1.3 watches per customer, pointing to a meaningful number of people buying more than one.

You can find a ton of articles talking about this. I like this'n from c|net.

So I'll just sit back and bask in my righteous, if rare, right-ness.

And, no, no froggin' way I'm buying one. Are you on crack? LOL

EDIT:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

The numbers for $/sale were worldwide. Here in the US, the for each sale: $707.04!

This here article goes into a deeper dive on things like which color watchband is most popular and such, but the big number I noted is that 32% of sales appear to be going to the more expensive model.

You haters keep on hatin'.

You know who's not hatin'? Anyone who tries one on, apparently. Estimates at Apple stores suggest that as much as 90% of try-ons result in sales.

Now, that number is a) being provided off the cuff by jagoffs who work in malls, and 2) likely skewed by people who already wanted one. The try-on session is more like "I was pretty sure I was gonna get one, but oh em gee, it's even cooler than I thought it would be. Are you sure I can't figure out a way to spend more on it? Maybe if I buy 2?"

That is, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those folks having opted for the more expensive model after having thought that the lesser model would do.

Which is of course crazy talk. If you think the less expensive model of ANYTHING will do, you have no business doing business with Apple. LOL

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
Re: Apple Watch: Biggest Launch in Company History
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:08:59 pm

Great news for lovers of self-indulgence. Sad news for lovers of humanity.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:57:27 pm

[David Cherniack] "Great news for lovers of self-indulgence. Sad news for lovers of humanity."

Yep, no bigger threat to humanity right now than people spending money on buying themselves nice things

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:51:32 pm

Always salient points and we love to debate (in this forum especially) but I will definitely take the under.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:54:49 pm

Interesting. I was at an official Apple store yesterday and there was no real interest in the case of watches on display. Even the sales person told me she saw no need to get one. I agree with her.

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 14, 2015 at 1:14:11 pm

Let's remember these numbers are NOT OFFICIAL, and have been reverse engineered from a specific analytics company.

Also, these are US PRE-ORDERS only, so the number could be much, much higher.

As for the comments below about self indulgence... I'm fairly bored by people who take their personal priorities as gospel.

The Apple watch, like ANY technology product, is not for everyone. If it's health, fitness, or quick messaging priorities aren't for you- that's fine. But calling them self-indulgent just seems petty.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:10:24 pm

[Marcus Moore] "As for the comments below about self indulgence... I'm fairly bored by people who take their personal priorities as gospel.

The Apple watch, like ANY technology product, is not for everyone. If it's health, fitness, or quick messaging priorities aren't for you- that's fine. But calling them self-indulgent just seems petty."

Heaven forbid anyone think a $700 calorie counter was self indulgent. This watch is the definition of conspicuous consumption and Thorstein Veblen is laughing from the grave.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:17:09 pm

The watch costs $350. If someone chooses to spend more for fashion reasons- that's no more indulgent than someone who doesn't buy the absolute cheapest car, pants, wine, or any other consumer product on the market.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:29:09 pm

[Marcus Moore] "The watch costs $350."

From tim's original post

"The numbers for $/sale were worldwide. Here in the US, the for each sale: $707.04!"

[Marcus Moore] " If someone chooses to spend more for fashion reasons- that's no more indulgent than someone who doesn't buy the absolute cheapest car, pants, wine, or any other consumer product on the market."

A key aspect of "conspicuous consumption" is that it be conspicuous - cars and clothes, yes, wine much less so, although it is conspicuous for that class of people you have gathered around your table.

But what can be more conspicuous than a Rolex, and now an Iwatch, that you wear on your wrist. In this case it isn't, like the rolex, to demonstrate how rich you are by showing how much money you can waste, but rather by proving how smart you are by displaying Apples latest bauble for all to see. $700 is pretty cheap for that sort of validation.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:35:19 am

[Herb Sevush] "From tim's original post

"The numbers for $/sale were worldwide. Here in the US, the for each sale: $707.04!" "

About that ASP- Yeah but that's figuring for 1.3 units per person- which doesn't actually translate into any one person's purchase. It just means that X people in 100 bought 2 watches, not that they paid more for one watch. Also, the original data points to the fact that 2/3rds of people (like me) purchased the cheaper Sport version at $350-$400.

[Herb Sevush] "But what can be more conspicuous than a Rolex, and now an Iwatch, that you wear on your wrist. In this case it isn't, like the rolex, to demonstrate how rich you are by showing how much money you can waste, but rather by proving how smart you are by displaying Apples latest bauble for all to see. $700 is pretty cheap for that sort of validation."

A watch is a single purpose device- it tells time. Anything beyond that is pure fashion, especially when you're talking about something like a Rolex- it's purely status. While whether you like it or not, the Apple Watch has (like a modern smartphone) numerous functions. If one or two of those functions serves a users need- it's not frivolous.

Look, I'm sure you're right that some people will purchase this thing for purely inane or reasons of vanity- again, that's going to happen with anything- how many people own sports cars or pickups because of what they think it projects vs if they have a practical need for it. But that isn't to say that there aren't those that need those things legitimately. "Need" being a relative term with anything in the consumer electronics stratum- we've survived as a species for thousand of years without smartwatches. But you could say the same thing about smartphones or tablets or computers...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:53:18 pm

I think the numbers aren't quite realistic either (not that didn't sell a million watches, we knew that was going to happen) but getting the data out of an e-receipts tracking company based off of 9.000 receipts? What the hell does that even mean? :)

Also, in another article of fuzzy math China sold out of the gold ingot in an hour.

There's no doubt that the Apple Watch is going to be popular, at least initially. My biggest question is, why they hell do they need to make a $20,000 ingot that will be obsolete in two years tops?

I found that the Verge Editor-in-Chief review was sort of interesting. He says that he now feels, through his watch, that he knows "more about what's happening with his phone than ever before", and that is not necessarily a good thing.

http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-watch-review

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:00:51 pm

The Watch looks really nice, but I still think it's a little odd that Apple is pushing bigger screens for their phones because, I guess folks want bigger screens, and at the same time pushing this tiny screen watch. Why is this little screen on your wrist OK? : )

I think the watch will do well, but part of me feels that people will get tired of looking at the tiny screen and go for their bigger screen that's in their pocket, or for that matter........already glued to their hand.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:37:16 pm

You've expressed well why I'm not getting an Apple Watch.

In fact, once I got my iPhone I stopped wearing watches. I'd much rather take the slight inconvenience of pulling out a more useful pocket computer which includes other important functions that I usually need when I also need to know the time.

The "convenience" of having a device on my wrist is outweighed by the tiny screen. Obviously a million people and counting feel different than I do though.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 14, 2015 at 4:33:14 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The "convenience" of having a device on my wrist is outweighed by the tiny screen."

Exactly.

An email comes in.........will people look at it on their tiny screen or phone?

It's my understanding that you can not make a call from the watch without the phone near by. So you would have to have the phone with you anyway.

I thought it was going to be like, 'I can leave my phone at home and go for a jog and still take a call"

That would make a little more sense, but if you have to jog with the phone anyway, seems like you will use it.

Just my take on it.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2015 at 4:49:05 pm

Tony,

Next thing you know people will have an iPad attached to their arm.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 14, 2015 at 4:50:51 pm

[David Mathis] "Tony,

Next thing you know people will have an iPad attached to their arm.
"

hahahaha : )

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:46:12 pm

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:38:25 pm

But can it do 3D text?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:54:36 pm

I want the hologram version. Could use it to edit while going for a walk or waiting for the elevator to arrive.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2015 at 4:45:30 pm

If funds would allow, I would by every model of the watch. Then again, I would have a lot of time on my hands. ;-)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 14, 2015 at 5:14:35 pm

[David Mathis] "If funds would allow, I would by every model of the watch. Then again, I would have a lot of time on my hands. ;-)
"

:) Nicely done David!

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 14, 2015 at 5:45:10 pm

If I analyse my iPhone usage the main activity is taking out of my pocket to see what the time is, that and politely answering calls from PPI companies.

So short of gaffa taping my iPhone to my wrist the Apple Watch seems a logical and elegant solution for me and who knows it might even help me lose some weight by telling me how long I sit staring at my computer screen each day.

Return to posts index

Sophi Wright
on Apr 17, 2015 at 11:40:13 am

You can catch all detail of upcoming Apple Watch / iWatch Specification, Price and Release Date using this.

http://www.howtoisolve.com/apple-watch-2015-price-specifications-and-releas...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]