Resolve 12

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Gissing
Resolve 12
on Apr 13, 2015 at 11:11:22 pm

In all the excitment of the X update many may have missed this -
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve

Videos on the site show metadata based smart bins and fav folders, multicam looks interesting and audio has made a huge leap by including automatable clip and track based control and VST/AU plugins that can also be clip or track. AAF export of audio for ProTools, Fairlight etc with flattened video file. Trim & slip/slide multiple clips at once. Nesting with ability to decompose in place, custom transition controls, media management, multiple clip length trimming (great for adjusting title cards), improved tracking and serious keying.

This looks like a serious challenge as an editor and is probably the biggest single update to Resolve yet. Yes it has tracks and is smart in having both clip and track based signal processing. Combined with Boris CC 10 this looks like a much more serious edit/grade/finish tool. I hope Open FX has been sped up.

Perhaps it is not unexpected but with their pace of change and by sticking to a more conventional paradigm, Blackmagic is targeting both FCP Legend and CC holdouts and may well lure X editors away or at least encourage them to add it to their toolset. Given that it already is great at import and export of FCPXML and with AAf audio export, it will probably kill Marquis X2Pro as the new release has the lite free version or is a free upgrade for the full.

Of course it needs to get out in the wild and face some user feedback but as an announcement,even without all the new camera products it looks like Blackmagic continues to steal NAB.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Resolve 12
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:12:12 am

I'm really interested to see how well/when they'll support fcpxml 1.5. There are a ton of color and masking parameters in there now.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:25:43 am

See my comments in the 10.2 thread, but yes, it looks like more of an editor. At least as a conforming/finishing tool. Probably more of a Smoke(Mac)-killer than anything else (when heavy compositing isn't needed). And it's free ;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:23:59 am

Wow, this looks amazing. The UI looks great, the editing looks better than FCPX. And integration with resolve and protools is infinitely more useful than after effects and speed grade. Plus it's free?! This is easily the biggest threat IMO, it's like the best of Premiere and FCPX without the the subscription and with active development adding excellent features.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:26:54 am

looks amazing but version 11 runs like poo on the same machine i edit pretty effortlessly on AVID/PP/FCPX.

if they fix the performance issues, it could be a beast!

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:55:48 am

[Neil Goodman] "looks amazing but version 11 runs like poo on the same machine i edit pretty effortlessly on AVID/PP/FCPX."

Agreed. R11 performance is so poor that it's a non-factor for me at at this point. I will try with R12 and see what happens. Perhaps just a finishing tool after editorial in X?

Scott

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 15, 2015 at 8:20:28 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Agreed. R11 performance is so poor that it's a non-factor for me at at this point. I will try with R12 and see what happens. Perhaps just a finishing tool after editorial in X?"

This was a concern of mine as well and the BM people I talked to said that there is an all new playback engine so performance won't be a problem anymore. Of course the proof is in the pudding so we'll have to wait until July to see for ourselves.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:00:38 pm

Resolve Demo at about 27 minutes in, very brief and not the best presentation, but I have to say it's looking pretty good, if they've solved the performance issue then there's a LOT to like in there

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:09:02 pm

Other than the CC tools, why would folks consider going to R12? The less "trips" my project needs to make the better, in my opine...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:16:20 pm

[Scott Witthaus] " The less "trips" my project needs to make the better, in my opine..."

Exactly - Resolve offers Editing, finishing and what looks like some nice audio tools all in one package.

Needs 3D text though obviously

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:36:03 pm

[Steve Connor] "Exactly - Resolve offers Editing, finishing and what looks like some nice audio tools all in one package."

Actually I was thinking the other way around. Why leave X? Either way, R11 is a looong way from being a heavy lifting editor. Color and titles? Maybe. But as an editor? Color me skeptical.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:45:17 pm

I don't know, if the performance is improved, then this looks like software I'd be happy working in.

Of course the people that think that the magnetic timeline renders all tracked timelines redundant then it probably won't be of any interest

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:26:10 pm

Unless, by some odd chance, I went of the deep end this side of the pond, Resolve sure looks like X buth with tracks. Only thing missing is 3D text and that my friends, is of great importance. No where did I put those silly glasses? Want to see that text in all its glory!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:52:32 pm

[David Mathis] "Unless, by some odd chance, I went of the deep end this side of the pond, Resolve sure looks like X buth with tracks"

The Resolve UI designers like X (BMD has said as much) and have been steadily copying it for several versions now. I suspect this is as close as they dare to go.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:11:34 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The Resolve UI designers like X (BMD has said as much) and have been steadily copying it for several versions now. I suspect this is as close as they dare to go."

One of the presentations mentioned they had some ex-Apple people at BMD now

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:13:32 pm

[Steve Connor] "One of the presentations mentioned they had some ex-Apple people at BMD now"

That may be the case, but this look and feel has been in Resolve since they started adding editing features - at least since version 10.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:52:56 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Actually I was thinking the other way around. Why leave X? Either way, R11 is a looong way from being a heavy lifting editor. Color and titles? Maybe. But as an editor? Color me skeptical."

To me, the best parts of FCP X are the Browser/keywording/search, no tracks to patch, Roles, Real time fx previews and the fact that it's pretty easy and quick to do really nice looking titles and compositing in-app. I'm sure everyones mileage will vary on that list. ;-)

Let's assume that all the playback issues go away in R12. It's still a track-based system, and not a simple one at that. I can totally see finishing and fine tuning in resolve, and using it as a "Rosetta Stone" but as an NLE? It's really just a nicer version of every other NLE out there. Either way, I'm looking forward to messing around with it. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:00:19 pm

[Charlie Austin] "and quick to do really nice looking titles and compositing in-app. I'm sure everyones mileage will vary on that list. ;-) "

I agree, but keyframe editing isn't so great in FCPX, Resolve 12 has an excellent keyframe editor, oh and a 3d tracker built in and an amazing keyer by the look of it!

Smart bins also go some way towards the search capabilities in FCPX

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:01:15 pm

[Charlie Austin] "It's really just a nicer version of every other NLE out there."

Agreed. And not quite ready, either.

[Charlie Austin] "Either way, I'm looking forward to messing around with it. "

Yup, me too.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:07:39 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Agreed. And not quite ready, either."

Have you had a chance to play with version 12 then?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:46:21 pm

[Steve Connor] "Have you had a chance to play with version 12 then?"

Not yet. Low on the list right now. Is it at least a little better than R11?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:02:39 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Not yet. Low on the list right now. Is it at least a little better than R11?
"

Apparently it's a completely new engine under the hood, if the demo videos are anything to go by it looks very fast

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:50:43 pm

[Steve Connor] "Apparently it's a completely new engine under the hood"

I believe they only changed the audio portion, as that was bogging things down.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:08:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Steve Connor] "Apparently it's a completely new engine under the hood"

I believe they only changed the audio portion, as that was bogging things down.

- Oliver"

I thought they re-wrote the playback engine... maybe I was misinformed.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:12:06 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I thought they re-wrote the playback engine... maybe I was misinformed."

Hard to tell from trade shows, because different people always get different stories depending on who is doing the speaking. Could be either.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:23:31 pm

[Oliver Peters] "

[Shawn Miller] "I thought they re-wrote the playback engine... maybe I was misinformed."

Hard to tell from trade shows, because different people always get different stories depending on who is doing the speaking. Could be either."

True enough, at NAB 2013 (I believe) I was told by a rep at the Adobe booth that CC subscription would be an option...

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:25:58 pm

[Shawn Miller] "True enough, at NAB 2013 (I believe) I was told by a rep at the Adobe booth that CC subscription would be an option..."

That was true in 2013. ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:35:00 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Shawn Miller] "True enough, at NAB 2013 (I believe) I was told by a rep at the Adobe booth that CC subscription would be an option..."

That was true in 2013. ;-)

- Oliver"

lol - yes, I will admit that my memory is fuzzy on this. I feel like the messaging didn't really get consistent until the end of the fiscal year in 2013... I may be completely misremembering that though. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:49:32 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Not yet. Low on the list right now. Is it at least a little better than R11?"

There is no version 12 out in the wild yet. Expect it later this year. Probably a public beta first and then a release version.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:29:18 am

[Chris Frantz] "And integration with resolve and protools is infinitely more useful than after effects and speed grade"

I'm not sure what that means. Resolve/PT is simply sending an AAF to Resolve. That's completely different than PPro/AE (via Dynamic Link) and PPro/SG (via Direct Link). So I'm not sure how one has anything to do with the other. Premiere basically gives you the exact same level of integration with ProTools from what I can tell.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:48:14 am

Sure, Resolve is just exporting an AAF, I was just pointing out the feature as the promo touted it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:52:55 am

We will have to wait to see how Blackmagic get Resolve & Fusion talking to each other. Resolve has also been good at tracking FCPX XML changes which seem to be with almost every iteration.

I agree with Oliver that it looks like a finishing tool killer but I also see a point where an edit might switch from assemble to fine cut by swapping to Resolve from X or CC or even FCP Legend. The audio improvements alone will tempt some X users to perhaps move the edit over well before lock off just to have the finishing tools and then move to sound & picture post easily.

One item that may have slipped through the hype over up front features is collaborative workflows and remote grading. Sneaky little items that will change a few workflows and might be very interesting given my remote location.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:40:26 pm

Avid demo'ed Fusion integrated (linked) into the MC timeline in the upcoming 8.4 update. Im sure Resolve would get the same treatment

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:38:27 pm

The Avid Connector was built by Fusion before the Blackmagic acquisition - what will be interesting to see is how it will manifest itself in Resolve.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 17, 2015 at 12:22:29 am

I'm finding it fascinating that few seem to be picking up on the rate of development of Resolve as an edit/ finish tool. After giving X nearly four years head start they have already passed X in many areas. Grading is a given, but keyframing is well ahead of X as are tracking tools. VST/AU Audio plugins are an advancement and the ability to automate clip and track levels is superior. The fact that Roles in X remains little more than basic routing means that Resolve 12, regardless of your view on Magnetic or Not, is capable of better audio mix control. VST plugins means tools like iZotope are available in the application. AAF export to audio post is in the software, not a two step third party dance.

If they can get the Open FX performance up to speed, then with addition of a tool set like Boris Continuum, there is a serious player here. I have Boris CC9 so I have had 3d titling already although frankly I have had zero demand for the effect.

There are by Blackmagic's count 80 improvements in 12, much of it in the editing and hopefully performance. At this rate of development, I would expect X to be lagging within a year and totally outpaced in two years if Apple continues its glacial rate of development of X.

Resolve 12 is shaping up to be a very solid editor and a very good finish tool. I reckon Adobe & Avid will see the danger although perhaps only Adobe will be able to respond. Personally I see that developments at Blackmagic and Adobe on cross platform software is exciting. Apple doesn't give me the thrill I felt a decade ago for FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]