Release notes:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201237

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: 10.2 Released!!
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:28:31 pm

Finally, masks!

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:29:11 pm

Flatter interface, new app icon and splash screen, feels faster, waveforms seem snappier.

Bit disappointed that CC has become an effect though, just as PPro adds theirs to the effects tab, Apple take theirs away!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:30:50 pm

Save video and audio effects presets, that's good!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:35:36 pm

When are they gong to do the simple things like savable work spaces - KB shortcut to increase/reduce timeline/lane size, etc.

These little customization will go a long long way with me. More so than 3d titles.

The masks look nice tho.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:49:26 pm

How's the titling? Feature gimmick or actually useable?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:56:01 pm

[Loren Risker] "How's the titling? Feature gimmick or actually useable?"

Quite usable!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:41:33 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Loren Risker] "How's the titling? Feature gimmick or actually useable?"

Quite usable!"

Actually it's very impressive and quick!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:06:14 pm

[Steve Connor] "Bit disappointed that CC has become an effect though, just as PPro adds theirs to the effects tab, Apple take theirs away!
"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:10:28 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:12:40 pm

Just read this from Charlie's Link:

"Similar to previous versions, the Color Board/Color Correction Effect can be quickly applied via the Enhancement Menu (or CMD-6). In 10.2, it can also be accessed by applying it via the Effects Browser. To add multiple Corrections, apply additional Color Correction Effect instances from the Effects Browser."

So, I have modified my reaction:

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:13:49 pm

[Steve Connor] "Bit disappointed that CC has become an effect though, just as PPro adds theirs to the effects tab, Apple take theirs away!"

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence?

In Premiere, that color panel actually controls a Lumetri Color effect in the ECP. This gives you the best of both worlds: color as a clip-based intrinsic property as well as the ability to change the effects stack and thus the render order.

I haven't downloaded the new version of FCP X yet -- have they actually pulled the color control pane out?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:26:20 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I haven't downloaded the new version of FCP X yet -- have they actually pulled the color control pane out?"

yes

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:29:21 pm

[Walter Soyka] "In Premiere, that color panel actually controls a Lumetri Color effect in the ECP. This gives you the best of both worlds: color as a clip-based intrinsic property as well as the ability to change the effects stack and thus the render order.

I haven't downloaded the new version of FCP X yet -- have they actually pulled the color control pane out?"

It appears it will work similar to Lumetri in Pr. You hit the same kb shortcut in FCPX that brought up the Color Board (command-6) and it adds a color effect to the clip. You then can rearrange the effect to adjust the processing order.

The link that Charlie sent has a good write up: http://fcpxpert.net/2015/04/13/fcp-x-10-2-first-look/

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:30:41 pm

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:50:19 pm

By making it an effect, you run less risk of accidentally overlapping with other plugins like color finale. I'm glad of this actually.

One thing that's interesting is Apple's color effect limits at 110 and -7, where color finale hard limits at 0 and 100 (which I prefer).

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 13, 2015 at 6:17:11 pm

Color Finale compliments this re upgrade - not last by sitting next to in the fx browser

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:50:47 pm

This looks like a hell of an update. Like maybe FCP5 big.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Apr 13, 2015 at 6:37:52 pm

No batch export? No mixer still? The color board was removed? This is the strangest update.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2015 at 6:39:35 pm

The color board was not removed.

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Apr 13, 2015 at 7:19:39 pm

The one and only benefit IMO of the color board was that it was available by default on every clip. Now that it's gone, why would anyone ever use it?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2015 at 7:26:15 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 13, 2015 at 11:12:37 pm

[Chris Frantz] "The one and only benefit IMO of the color board was that it was available by default on every clip. Now that it's gone, why would anyone ever use it?
"

It works the exact same way, though.

Hit command-6, the color board shows up, and now, you can stack it in the order that you need, which is helpful if you use any types of LUT/transforms, also help with composite and masking or any other effects.

While I was initially disappointed, now that I have downloaded it and tested it, it's totally fine, and better, plus we can now see shape masks and color masks with the "View masks" toggle.

To me, this is actually better.

Some day, I will learn to type in actual English.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:09:40 pm

I would have preferred to have it already in the effects queue but disabled. Hitting Command-6 is no big deal though. I'll just have to learn to do it.

I do wish they had added a curves tab in the Color Board, then it would be more comparable with Lumetri.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:32:18 pm

I think user demand for control over filter stacking order led Apple to move Color Correction to an Effects Filter.

I have little doubt that Apple has been hammered with requests for curves. I wouldn't be surprised that development priority moved that to a later release. Probably getting the multi scope view and moving CC to an effect were mission critical to making future changes in CC more useful. For the same reason I think improvements in keyframe took the lead over actual tracking. Which may now be more viable to implement.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 13, 2015 at 6:49:48 pm

So, Closed Captioning can be added in Compressor when you publish. But where do the .scc files come from? (crosses fingers, looks for a plug-in in FCPX that generates this).

This bit about needing a vendor/content delivery network to publish to iTunes... surely, you don't need that just to make a master file, right?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 13, 2015 at 7:23:27 pm

[Mark Suszko] "So, Closed Captioning can be added in Compressor when you publish. But where do the .scc files come from? (crosses fingers, looks for a plug-in in FCPX that generates this)."

That's nothing new, Compressor has been supporting that since before FCPX came out. A plugin that does accurate speech recognition for CC output would be a holy grail type solution, but in the meantime there are many services you can upload an MP4 to and get back an .scc file.

[Mark Suszko] "This bit about needing a vendor/content delivery network to publish to iTunes... surely, you don't need that just to make a master file, right?"

Did you read the whitepaper?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
QuickTime 7 Pro enabled?
on Apr 13, 2015 at 8:37:11 pm

On an OSX 10.10.3 with the new FCPX 10.2 I just noticed that Quicktime 7 now seems to have Quicktime 7 Pro features. This machine has been untouched by FCP Studio legacy.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: QuickTime 7 Pro enabled?
on Apr 13, 2015 at 9:20:30 pm

I can't think of anything else that would have enabled it on a machine untouched by Legacy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]