Steve Connor
Resolve 12 adds Multicam and more?
on Apr 11, 2015 at 11:05:14 pm

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34362

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Resolve 12 adds Multicam and more?
on Apr 11, 2015 at 11:35:39 pm

They sure are relentless. Post NAB when the dust settles there will be some robust debate here for sure.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 11, 2015 at 11:36:06 pm

I might just dump FCP X all together if Resolve really is the next big thing. Of course that means adapting to the track based system again. After seeing what Photos is about, thanks for a load of garbage Apple, worried about the fate of FCP X as we know it. Yes, very much dissapointed with Photos, as is it just another consumer toy. Sorry for having to vent.

Resolve could be a paid update, but at this point it might be worth the money to migrateon to better things. Might even dump Apple and move to Linux. Hope to be proven wrong but ready with a strategy if need be.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 11, 2015 at 11:42:20 pm

David, Windows is worth considering. WIN 10 is soon and it leaves open other software options like Adobe. Linux is a bit hard core and options for other software limited. Fusion is currently Windows only and soon Mac but not yet Linux but I suspect it will go to Linux not long after Mac OS.

I strongly suspect the Windows development of the Blackmagic family will be their priority.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 12, 2015 at 4:37:28 am

I wonder what they've done to improve performance. I haven't used resolve as an NLE myself, but I read a lot about playback performance being pretty lackluster.

More on point, it will be interesting to see how the multicam is as X and PPro have set the bar pretty high.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 12, 2015 at 5:53:45 am

Performance in some areas of Resolve is excellent. On the same hardware I find it is almost on par with CS6 Pr for basic edit functionality across many codecs and reasonably sophisticated grading.

Once you start adding heavy processing controls like denoise it bogs down but then I suspect Pr struggles too if similar processing is required. I think the Mercury engine is better so there is room for improvement. The big area to fix for me is the sluggishness of Open FX plugins which are really slow and will hold back some users. The fact that there is now a good selection from Boris, Red Giant and Saphire is good but as a finishing tool these sophisticated plugins need to have better RT performance.

Multicam is not really an important consideration for me, even when I have done the odd two camera shoot but I appreciate it is a benchmark process and the bar is high.If Resolve is touting it then I suspect they think it is pretty good.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 13, 2015 at 3:57:00 pm

Just got an email about Resolve 12 and other BMD products. New cameras, Fusion 8 and very impressed by what is going to happen with Resolve. If it holds up it to its promise, it will be my favorite NLE, will just have to wait. Improvements to the trimming tools and a 3D tracker are nice. Even tne UI is going to get an update. They really have stepped up to the plate this year. Even better than that rare in the park grand slam!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 13, 2015 at 11:59:36 pm

Anyone who hasn't should wander over to news.creativecow.net for the latest NAB news. Note that a bunch of companies have gotten into the habit of sending announcements Tuesday, and I'll be working on today's news for a while longer...but duuuude, 16 announcements from BMD, and, as usual, quite a few of them are even bigger than they first appear.

I have no idea how they're pulling this off. Elves?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:57:25 pm

Man, it feels like they are stretching themselves very thin. R11 is a pig in terms of performance. I would rather see them focus on just making a good color and finishing box and not try to be the next Avid....still a debate on how that is working out...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]