FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is FCP Legend *finally* riding off into the sunset?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Is FCP Legend *finally* riding off into the sunset?
on Apr 11, 2015 at 8:49:09 pm

Nothing scientific, but over the past 4-6 weeks I've noticed a large increase in the number of job postings asking for PPro and a large decrease in the number of jobs asking for FCP 7. I've found them on places like Craigslist, StaffMeUp and LinkedIn so they range from deferred pay (ha!) to real jobs. Most of the jobs have been for editors though a few have been for AEs (implying that it's a big enough project that it requires AEs). Most of the jobs have been in LA or NYC but they've also been in places like West Palm Beach, Florida, Madison, Wisconsin and Seattle, Washington.

I didn't keep a running count of which jobs asked for which NLE, but I'm at the point now where seeing PPro is no longer surprising and seeing FCP Legend makes think 'Yeah, keepin' it old school'. I don't know if this is just a random spike or the beginning of a trend, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

I'm seeing more X jobs too, but still far fewer than Avid, PPro or FCP 7 (which I'd rank as 1, 2 and 3 respectively).

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Is FCP Legend *finally* riding off into the sunset?
on Apr 11, 2015 at 9:26:47 pm

Depends on the market. I mostly work with editors that own their own and work from a home office in documentary (in Australia). I see that many have added Adobe to their setup and use Pr a bit but still largely stay on FCP7. I only know a few that have gone to X, about as many as went to AVID.

More common is for editors to have a combo of CC or CS6 with Legend. Facilities have largely remained AVID based although many also have combo systems with Legend & CC on a single machine. I still see very little penetration of X into Legend territory. It is clinging tenaciously. I think there is a certain irony that editors became so conditioned to such tiny and haphazard updates with Legend that were so often bug fixes rather than dramatic new features that staying on Legend made sense and seems comfortable. In a way Apple conditioned them to not craving bold updates by feeding crumbs for a few years.

They don't seem to warm to gushing reports of new paradigm fun. They also are keeping old hardware going and largely staying on older OS. I still have Legend on my old MacPro but I no longer use it as a finishing timeline. That is usually Resolve and Pr.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2015 at 12:11:33 am
Last Edited By Aindreas Gallagher on Apr 12, 2015 at 12:24:04 am

Pr is getting ludicrously strong so fast though right? Has anyone actually seen the checklist for the last 18 months?

It feels a PS defence level blanket gambit given they screwed the web pooch with flash. Also Pr is working holy saints surprisingly well on existing facility hardware.
You'd feel Adobe are doing everything within the Nth of their power relative to Pr currently.
Some enjoyable thunder and lightning software spectacle from the cheap seats.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 13, 2015 at 3:26:07 pm

What may be driving it is that many facilities are finally upgrading their gear after a long pause while the economy caught back up. 7 can't survive long in the post-Yosemite OS landscape, so the buyers are turning to what's available and what others have recently turned to.

What we don't know for certain is how many are leaving their FCP7 suite working in a stand alone "bell jar mode", keeping it around for work it's suited to, or that they're more comfortable doing, or can't yet afford to port to another platform. I know we do this and will for some time yet. When you have a stable system that does what you need it to do, that makes sense. But we DO have a FCPX imac station right alongside of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]