FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPx & BM Mini Monitor & interlaced material and fields

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Asquerthian
FCPx & BM Mini Monitor & interlaced material and fields
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:27:08 pm

Anyone succesfully viewing interlaced (1080 / 50i) material using FCPx and the BlackMagic MiniMonitor?

I'm using v10.4 of BM driver on OSX 10.10.2 and FCPx 10.1.4

I can step through fields in FCPx and see the second field in the Canvas monitor - but the BM output is resolutely field 1. Even in playback, on both HDMI and HD-SDI outputs the BM (or FCPx) de-interlace to one field.

Tried the different settings in the BM driver and also have checked project and clip settings in FCPx.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCPx & BM Mini Monitor & interlaced material and fields
on Apr 10, 2015 at 3:50:48 am

My BM Ultrastudio express plays back interlaced just fine. If you're only getting field one, then everything will look half res and stair stepped and blocky. Text especially. Is that what you're seeing?

I know it has the option to show both fields or a single field when paused (remove jitter setting?), but that preference hasn't worked in years. It used to give the double field jitter when paused if you didn't check the remove jitter box. Might only work on HDMI or NTSC but it doesn't seem to work over SDI.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 10, 2015 at 8:14:12 am

Yes half-res and stair stepping (aka film mode

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2015 at 7:04:03 pm

Desktop Video 10.3.7 & OSX 10.10.2

Late 2012 iMac with Flanders LM-2140w monitor.

FWIW when I switch settings in Desktop video, the flanders recognizes and displays what it's getting like 59.94i or 29.97p etc.

What are your Desktop video settings? Should be set to HD 59.94i and your sequence settings should be 29.97i.

How do you step through field by field btw?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 11, 2015 at 5:33:02 am

I've tried every which way in the 50i/25p world - but am going to try a 59.94i setting too

Alt & jog frame to jog fields (canvas set to 100% to see fields)

Could you check 50i works for you if you get a chance? Thanks

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:24:04 pm

Can the monitor you're outputting to show interlaced footage properly?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 11, 2015 at 5:49:17 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "Can the monitor you're outputting to show interlaced footage properly?"

Yes I can see interlaced properly - I can also tap off the SDI output and record that to check it isn't an HDMI limitation.

I've now tried downgrading to BM 1.3.7

I've also checked Yosemite with Avid and BM Media Express on BM 1.3.7 and Avid on BM 1.4 - all three play both fields.

FCPx will show fields when jogging by field in the canvas window - just not on the BM output. An export of the same Project reimported shows that the fields are there.

In Avid there is a draft/full quality output toggle, which would result in single field playback if set to draft, but I don't believe there is such a setting in FCPx?

APPEAL FOR ANYONE with FCPx and a BM Mini-monitor and field capable viewing monitor to see if they can see both fields on the FCPx output? Thanks

PS

Return to posts index

Peter Schroeder
on Apr 28, 2016 at 9:36:35 am

Hi Trevor Asquerthian,

I have exactly the same problem. Have you already found a solution?

greetings

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 28, 2016 at 1:16:16 pm

Hi Peter

I haven't found the need to use FCPx in the last year, and no longer have it installed, so I've no idea.

I am having issues with 25P material outputting as 50P via the Mini-Monitor and my UltraStudio 4K - but those are from Premiere Pro.

Sorry to only bring more problems ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]