Premier ePro new version reveal
on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:14:03 am

https://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/

They are clearly working hard

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Premier ePro new version reveal
on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:54:57 am

I really want to try the face tracker. I probably don't have a real use for it yet... but it looks like fun.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 9, 2015 at 5:42:38 am

Crazy how they placed the new Lumetri color panel exactly where the Color panel is in FCPX - which I love by the way. Nice move Adobe.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Santiago Martí
on Apr 9, 2015 at 10:56:32 am

I think the placement has to do more with Lightroom/Photoshop.

Santiago Martí
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar
Red One M-X, Red Epic X waiting for Dragon update, Red Pro Primes, Adobe CC, Assimilate Scratch

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:03:01 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Crazy how they placed the new Lumetri color panel exactly where the Color panel is in FCPX - which I love by the way. Nice move Adobe."

Not so crazy as we can assume that the color panel, like all panels in the Premiere Pro UI, will be moveable and undockable so it's position will a matter of user preference.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 9, 2015 at 7:50:14 am

Looks very good, can't wait for the release!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:40:28 am

And in case y'all didn't see on the index page, here's Kylee Wall's complete coverage of Adobe's Creative Cloud announcements. Some pretty wild-looking stuff....

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:55:19 am

Also on retooled. http://www.retooled.net/?p=1633

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 9, 2015 at 12:08:07 pm

Morph Cut? Seriously? "Solving the problem of jump cuts in talking head interviews".

How about getting the right cutaways or cover? Let's make it possible for news producers or political spots to completely eliminate context as a pesky barrier. Make them say whatever works best for you. Ugh.

I can't speak for the AE improvements, but what I see from the Premiere stuff (the color corrector is the nicest thing, IMHO) in no way makes me want to jump up and subscribe.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 9, 2015 at 12:22:22 pm

[Scott Witthaus] " Let's make it possible for news producers or political spots to completely eliminate context as a pesky barrier. Make them say whatever works best for you. Ugh."

I do believe that's possible to do with existing technology. Morph Cuts will only make it possible to do more seamlessly. But like doing same with cutaways what you're talking about is within the provenance of integrity not of tools.

For those cases where content-adding cutaways are not available morph cuts is the greatest thing since...well...the Ginzu Knife (which was even greater than sliced cheese.)

Anyway, try it and be amazed.

David

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 9, 2015 at 12:31:59 pm

[David Cherniack] "But like doing same with cutaways what you're talking about is within the provenance of integrity not of tools."

You are correct here. Morph cuts makes it simpler to deceive in some hands. At least with a cutaway, a semi-knowledgeable person could deduce that "something" might have happened underneath that cover.

[David Cherniack] "Anyway, try it and be amazed."

Problem is that it's in Premiere...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 9, 2015 at 12:42:12 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Problem is that it's in Premiere..."

I'm sure there'll be a 30 day free trial when they release it so the only obstacle would be ideological and surely no-one here is an NLE idealogue....

David

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:03:37 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "You are correct here. Morph cuts makes it simpler to deceive in some hands. At least with a cutaway, a semi-knowledgeable person could deduce that "something" might have happened underneath that cover."

There is nothing in motion pictures that isn't deceptive; even the motion is an illusion.

I would recommend the film "F is for Fake" by Orson Welles as the last word on this subject.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:33:20 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Morph cuts makes it simpler to deceive in some hands"

that's a bit histrionic isn't it? We're not talking Leni Riefenstahl here - the minute I saw it, I thought of all the corporate IV's you can get with a single camera and really limited client supplied b-roll that has to stretch over a two and a half minute cut IV. If it could rescue a half dozen pauses and um ahs there's a world of editors that would bow their heads in sincere thanks. It seems a bang on feature for a broad church industry workhorse.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 12, 2015 at 6:28:58 am

It'll be terrific for bts featurettes, as well.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2015 at 12:37:44 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I can't speak for the AE improvements, but what I see from the Premiere stuff (the color corrector is the nicest thing, IMHO) in no way makes me want to jump up and subscribe."

I think the Ae improvements are hugely significant. In my mind, this release is as important as CS5 when Ae went 64-bit.

I know you don't like Premiere, so out of curiosity, what would it have taken to make you want to jump up and subscribe? Wouldn't it be nice to see the same kind of continuous, iterative development and improvement with FCPX?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 9, 2015 at 12:46:37 pm

Among the other bits that are out there talking about new features/workflows is this 30 minute video

It tries to hit all of the big points with some detail in a reasonable amount of time. Something else to look at.

I'll be in Vegas until end of next week but will jump on the forums as I can.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 9, 2015 at 1:45:51 pm

Too funny about this Morph Cut option.

Now what if Apple came up with this....

GO!!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 9, 2015 at 2:11:11 pm

Morph Cut is a lot like Avid's FluidMorph, except a lot better. But a process that has been used for years. This is essentially the same as the technique T.Payton posted about how to do a similar process in X. Except his was not a one-effect solution.

I'm surprised you guys are scoffing at this. It's a fantastic solution when used appropriately. I do a lot of testimonial-style commercials and you can't go to a cutaway when you are right at the beginning of the spot. A lot of time you are just trying to clean up verbal flubs, so it really isn't a matter of deceiving.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 9, 2015 at 2:12:14 pm

Yes, the color panel is a good combo of Lightroom's tabs and SpeedGrade's controls.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 9, 2015 at 3:47:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] "it really isn't a matter of deceiving."

Or to put it another way, ALL cuts are a matter of deceiving. :-)

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 9, 2015 at 8:48:26 pm

ALL cuts are a matter of deceiving

Best book I ever read about editing had nothing to do with editing. "Hiding the Elephant." It's about 19th century magicians.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 9, 2015 at 5:04:29 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 9, 2015 at 5:06:14 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Too funny about this Morph Cut option.

Now what if Apple came up with this....

GO!!"

I remember talking about this a long time ago. There's a whole lot of automation that's being built in to Pr, and if FCPX had this automation, people would scoff, but since it's developed elsewhere, it's "innovative".

Whatevs.

Pr is looking good. Can't wait to see the audio output option, because what is there right now is awful if you need to make a multitude of multichannel outputs in different configurations.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2015 at 5:38:02 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I remember talking about this a long time ago. There's a whole lot of automation that's being built in to Pr, and if FCPX had this automation, people would scoff, but since it's developed elsewhere, it's "innovative"."

I think this goes to the auteur theory of software development.

Apple tends to aim for simplicity and elegance as design goals. Sometimes (but definitely not always!) this means sacrificing flexibility or power.

Adobe tends to aim for flexibility and power as design goals. Sometimes (but definitely not always!) this means sacrificing simplicity or elegance.

With different values or development philosophies like these, automation could sometimes (but definitely not always!) have very different ramifications on the user.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 9, 2015 at 6:58:16 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think this goes to the auteur theory of software development."

That thread died on the vine! :)

[Walter Soyka] "With different values or development philosophies like these, automation could sometimes (but definitely not always!) have very different ramifications on the user."

By ramifications, do you mean a person's feelings toward said auteur (development philosophy), or the ultimate goal of the auteur's software on the person? Because if Apple made a cut healer, and someone else makes a cut healer and the results are pretty much the same (meaning, overall, the same goal is accomplished) isn't a rose still a rose?

Or is context everything, and one idea through the lens of one auteur, is construed differently through the lens of the other auteur, even if the auteur is focused on the same subject?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2015 at 7:27:35 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "That thread died on the vine! :)"

Surely that's because I was so right on that there was nothing to debate?

[Jeremy Garchow] "By ramifications, do you mean a person's feelings toward said auteur (development philosophy), or the ultimate goal of the auteur's software on the person? Because if Apple made a cut healer, and someone else makes a cut healer and the results are pretty much the same (meaning, overall, the same goal is accomplished) isn't a rose still a rose? "

Apple is the company that barely lets you adjust the interface. Adobe is the company that lets you build a 747 cockpit UI. If each company applies that thinking to the way they offer automated features, then you will have very different capabilities in each application.

But if they are similar features, they are similar features. There may be howling when the features are teased, but it should certainly end when people actually, you know, use the software! Criticizing FCPX over automatic color balance lost validity immediately.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:03:14 am

[Walter Soyka] "Apple is the company that barely lets you adjust the interface. Adobe is the company that lets you build a 747 cockpit UI. If each company applies that thinking to the way they offer automated features, then you will have very different capabilities in each application."

For better or worse. That's the rub.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:23:52 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "There's a whole lot of automation that's being built in to Pr, and if FCPX had this automation, people would scoff, but since it's developed elsewhere, it's "innovative".

Whatevs. "

Yep... I'm not bashing Pr, these are nice new updates. But... if Apple announced a feature in X that let you easily make cartoon characters speak, the howls of derision would be deafening. I can virtually guarantee that if the next version of FCP X includes anything that lets you do something easily that was previously very complicated it will be mocked by many of the same people fawning over these updates.

I like the look of the Color panel in Pr... very similar to Color Finale in X which is awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 9, 2015 at 7:20:40 pm

When will we know release date? Starting a feature film in a couple of weeks and would try this...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:34:07 pm

Lance,

As you probably already know, we cannot discuss ship dates. Sigh - I wish I could. Glad you're intrigued by some of the new workflows and features.

Cheers,
Dennis

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 10, 2015 at 5:45:30 am

Man... at least invite me to the Adobe party at NAB..

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 10, 2015 at 3:21:40 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Wouldn't it be nice to see the same kind of continuous, iterative development and improvement with FCPX?"

Yes it would, and this is where Adobe deserves some credit...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2015 at 3:45:48 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Wouldn't it be nice to see the same kind of continuous, iterative development and improvement with FCPX?"

Apple are continuously, iteratively developing FCP X. What they don't do is pre-announce upcoming features or really talk about it at all, for better or worse. They're playing a different game than Adobe/Avid. They're not trying to gain market share, or crush the competition. They don't appear on Avid, Adobe, BMD etc. forums subtly touting the perceived features and benefits of X vs whatever. I mean, many people who prefer the competition still buy Macs right? ;-)

I think they're trying to make a great, game-changing NLE. The debate is really whether they're doing it quickly enough, or succeeding at all. In any case, what they're doing is certainly is having an effect on the design and features of other NLE's.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 10, 2015 at 3:59:53 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Apple are continuously, iteratively developing FCP X."

Fair. I should probably pick on the pace of Motion development instead!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:22:05 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Fair. I should probably pick on the pace of Motion development instead!
"

I'm with you there... It's kinda just a giant FCP X Plugin at this point. It's a great plugin though. :-)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 13, 2015 at 4:26:48 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Fair. I should probably pick on the pace of Motion development instead!"

And wham! 3D text.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:34:26 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I think they're trying to make a great, game-changing NLE."

They've done that already!

[Charlie Austin] " The debate is really whether they're doing it quickly enough"

I'd like to see more pace in it's development, but we may all be surprised next week!

[Charlie Austin] "In any case, what they're doing is certainly is having an effect on the design and features of other NLE's."

It's certainly had a positive effect on PPro, look at "hover scrub" and the new clip level colour controls are obviously inspired by the Color Box in FCPX's inspector.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:58:37 pm

Say what you want about the Color Box, but that thing is hyper efficient. Adobe is smart to take a few notes there by having a color corrector just sitting, waiting, ready to go, on every clip. I also liked the 'tabbed' interface.

Now, just get rid of those tracks, and I'll be on board! Heh heh.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:16:19 pm

[Steve Connor] "It's certainly had a positive effect on PPro, look at "hover scrub" and the new clip level colour controls are obviously inspired by the Color Box in FCPX's inspector."

I believe Hover Scrub was in the works long before X and the Color Panel was inspired by the popularity of the color controls in Lightroom

David

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:21:45 pm

[David Cherniack] "I believe Hover Scrub was in the works long before X and the Color Panel was inspired by the popularity of the color controls in Lightroom
"

Of course. Nothing about X has "inspired" Adobe at all.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:31:30 am

[Charlie Austin] "Of course. Nothing about X has "inspired" Adobe at all."

Well Charlie, I wouldn't know, about "nothing" and I could never speak for Adobe but I see no evidence that the color panel is anything more than Lightroom inspired and with the amount of development work going back to version 5 of the Mercury engine, hover scrub was likely on the drawing boards 6 years ago.

David

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:45:16 am

[David Cherniack] "Well Charlie, I wouldn't know, about "nothing" and I could never speak for Adobe but I see no evidence that the color panel is anything more than Lightroom inspired"

I'll give ya the Color Panel, which actually does look nice (finally) but hover scrub was intro'd a year after X came out, and skimming had been in iMovie since 2007. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some influence on that one. How about Search Bins? Not that it really matters... ;-)

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:03:07 pm

[Charlie Austin] "hover scrub was intro'd a year after X came out, and skimming had been in iMovie since 2007. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some influence on that one. How about Search Bins? Not that it really matters... ;-)"

I didn't know about skimming in iMovie in 2007 because I've never glanced at iMovie. But proto-skimming and search bins we had in edit* in the 90's. Plus a lot of other innovative UI things that have yet to make it into any NLE. Who knows how much influence competitor innovations have on product development. Only the developers and they're not telling. In Apple's case, not even to their Mothers

David

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 10, 2015 at 11:05:30 pm

[David Cherniack] "I believe Hover Scrub was in the works long before X"

So why no hover scrub in the timeline?, surely that would be an obvious part of the development, or would that impede on an Apple patent perhaps? Would be interesting to hear Adobe's version of that.

[David Cherniack] "the Color Panel was inspired by the popularity of the color controls in Lightroom"

Maybe the actual functionality was, but the fact it's at clip level is straight from FCPX

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:41:41 am

[Steve Connor] "Maybe the actual functionality was, but the fact it's at clip level is straight from FCPX"

I have no idea what you mean by "it's at clip level". Where else would it be? Like all effects, internal or external in Premiere..

I thinks you guys should get over what apparently is a a bit of a persecution complex. "If Apple had done ____ people would laugh at it but when Adobe does it everyone thinks it's shit hot." C'mon. X isn't going to rule the world like 7 mostly did but it's not going away and most sane people know that. Course if they added tracks....:)

David

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:52:01 am

[David Cherniack] "I thinks you guys should get over what apparently is a a bit of a persecution complex. "If Apple had done ____ people would laugh at it but when Adobe does it everyone thinks it's shit hot.""

Well, that last bit is true, and annoying as hell. Especially to those of us who use both Pr and X. I'm seeing a therapist to try and get over it. lol

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:13:09 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I'm seeing a therapist to try and get over it. lol"

Hmmmm. An excellent decision. Maybe there's hope for you and Steve (and maybe even Lance lol). But the cure will be complete when there's a screaming new Windows box standing beside your trashcan.3

David

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:16:26 pm

[David Cherniack] "But the cure will be complete when there's a screaming new Windows box standing beside your trashcan.3"

I like where Windows is headed at the moment so I'd never rule it out :)

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:29:01 pm

[Steve Connor] "I like where Windows is headed at the moment so I'd never rule it out :)"

Yeah, sometimes it takes a while for giga-corps like Microsoft to see the light. But the real advantage is in the low level hardware (thanks to the gamers who keep pushing the envelope to extremes) Now, if only Microsoft can get the kinks ironed out of Skype.

David

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:03:39 am

[Steve Connor] "Maybe the actual functionality was, but the fact it's at clip level is straight from FCPX"

[David Cherniak]I have no idea what you mean by "it's at clip level". Where else would it be? Like all effects, internal or external in Premiere..

I am sure Steve means that it is already on the clip just like Motion, Opacity etc. In the past you had to select a CC plugin and add it to the clip. Now it is just there. That plus following the cursor makes this a lot better for in NLE grading. It is a logical thing and yes FCPX had it first but I see no need to point score about who had what first. Both companies innovate so lets get over it.

This makes me finally tempted to go CC as there are enough improvements over CS6 in many ares, not least Photoshop and Media Encoder. I like having choice about a finishing tool and whilst I am pleased that Resolve is mostly doing the trick for me this gives me options for Pr originated projects that just need some tweaking so I will go to CC on the next job.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 11, 2015 at 9:15:29 am

[Michael Gissing] "I am sure Steve means that it is already on the clip just like Motion, Opacity etc. In the past you had to select a CC plugin and add it to the clip. Now it is just there."

Thank you Michael that's exactly what I meant

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:21:49 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Michael Gissing] "I am sure Steve means that it is already on the clip just like Motion, Opacity etc. In the past you had to select a CC plugin and add it to the clip. Now it is just there."

Thank you Michael that's exactly what I meant"

Just so it's clear. The Color Panel invokes an instance of the Lumetri effect in the Effects Panel where the effect is maskable and stackable, effectively creating as many secondaries as you want.

Not commented upon much, but looking like a great addition, are the Speedgrade scopes inside Premiere.

David

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:44:05 pm

[David Cherniack] "Just so it's clear. The Color Panel invokes an instance of the Lumetri effect in the Effects Panel where the effect is maskable and stackable, effectively creating as many secondaries as you want.
"

Thanks, that answers a question I was going to ask. Looking forward to trying it out soon.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:35:35 pm

[David Cherniack] "Just so it's clear. The Color Panel invokes an instance of the Lumetri effect in the Effects Panel"

Should read "The Color Panel invokes an instance of the Lumetri effect in the Effects Control Panel"

David

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 11, 2015 at 3:15:43 am

[Steve Connor] "and the new clip level colour controls are obviously inspired by the Color Box in FCPX's inspector."

Highly doubtful. The integration with SpeedGrade has been going on for awhile. Adobe has had color correction tools for a long time inside Premiere. This panel is more a lift from Lightroom+SpeedGrade than anything in X.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:35:33 pm

[Charlie Austin] "The debate is really whether they're doing it quickly enough, or succeeding at all."

I think the succeeding part is sort of a given. Whether they're doing it quick enough, I think a lot of people think they aren't. Let's face it, Apple has a lot of irons in the fire... Adobe is less distracted...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2015 at 2:26:09 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "the color corrector is the nicest thing, IMHO"

I really like their approach with color: make it fast, make it familiar, and layer complexity to suit different needs of different users.

If you've used Lightroom, you already know a lot of Lumetri Color in Premiere, and you can dial in a nice look very quickly with just a couple of sliders. If you need a little more, use curves and wheels. If you need a lot more, bring it all into SpeedGrade.

I'm also excited about the related Project Candy [link] and cloud-enabled Libraries, for a couple of reasons. This is a great idea from an art direction standpoint, making reference directly usable in production. It's also our first good look at thinking beyond the desktop and exploiting mobility and the cloud.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:45:35 pm

project candy boggles me a little? the notion that you can live capture a scene colour look, apply inside premiere clip and have it preserved as a footage attribute through premiere into speedgrade is kind of insane. also the the 3D balls gui is giving me strong Kai Kruse flashbacks, which is nice.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Apr 9, 2015 at 2:42:54 pm

[David Cherniack] "They are clearly working hard"

Yep.

[Tim Wilson] "And in case y'all didn't see on the index page, here's Kylee Wall's complete coverage of Adobe's Creative Cloud announcements. Some pretty wild-looking stuff...."

From Kylee's article:
"New support for Apple ProRes 4444 XQ, Avid DNxHR with compressed alpha, Canon XF-AVC, MXF-wrapped JPEG 2000, and Panasonic 4K_HS allows for expanded native editing."

I'm surprised that they are already incorporating codecs from cameras that just got announced yesterday! Obviously. they've been in talks with Canon, Apple, Panasonic, etc but that's very on-top of it. So when the new Canon C300 Mark II ships in September Premiere will natively edit the footage. I've rarely seen any of the major "A's" be that aggressive in new camera support.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 9, 2015 at 3:05:13 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "
I'm surprised that they are already incorporating codecs from cameras that just got announced yesterday! Obviously. they've been in talks with Canon, Apple, Panasonic, etc but that's very on-top of it. So when the new Canon C300 Mark II ships in September Premiere will natively edit the footage. I've rarely seen any of the major "A's" be that aggressive in new camera support."

We do work with many camera manufacturers as it is essential for everyone to be able to edit quickly if possible. I'm really rather proud of our aggressive support for the past several years.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 9, 2015 at 3:40:40 pm

Morph cut looks great. I know I could put that to use. Sure, it could be used for evil. But there's a lot of bad training and interview material out there that this can fix.

Also, nice to see improved captioning support. Still waiting to see advanced captioning tools in FCPX. We do stuff with federal money backing it from time to to me, all that stuff absolutely requires captioning, but frankly, MacCaption is kinda clunky and too expensive. i want, check that, NEED decent broadcast-legal captioning and hopefully transcription tools, as plug-ins or inside of FCPX itself. This one feature would grantee a lot of institutional purchases of the NLE.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 9, 2015 at 8:42:42 pm

There was a morph cut demo from a few years ago, does anyone else remember that? Was it from Adobe or from another company? Anyway, my point is everyone was excited when they saw it so it's cool that the feature is getting out into the wild soon.

Very cool looking new features, and although I'm not a huge AE user, the speed improvements look great. It's awesome that what started as a hypothetical question in a blog post turned into reality once the AE user community chimed in.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:11:28 am

Impressed by the color grading tools. Not a Resolve pedigree but still extremely awesome. Much better than that color box. Now, should I subscribe or go with Color Finale as an alternative? Too many darn choices I say!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:19:31 am

[David Mathis] "Now, should I subscribe or go with Color Finale as an alternative? Too many darn choices I say!"

Color Finale is great. And the Color Box® will probably get better too...

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 10, 2015 at 4:40:54 am

Plan on adding Color Finale to the old tool box. Nice to see it will have an adjustment layer, going to be a time saver. Other nice features as well. Now, if Bruce will be added back in. One feature I forgot to request.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:29:55 pm

I was really hoping for improved track targeting, patching and marker function. Color following playhead is great. Its one thing I sorely missed from Avid.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 11, 2015 at 2:20:36 pm

[David Powell] "I was really hoping for improved track targeting, patching and marker function. Color following playhead is great. Its one thing I sorely missed from Avid."

What specifically are you looking for that is missing in Premiere Pro in these respects?

Thanks,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 11, 2015 at 3:40:28 pm

Well, for my part navigation being so dependent on track patching is a problem for me. I feel it slows me down quite a bit. Smarter folk than I probably understand why it is designed this way but I've yet to figure it out. Also I would love it if, when you navigate to a cut, the cut point was highlighted so you could clearly see it. And finally the markers need to be "smart markers" that stay put with respect to the source clip no matter where or how many times it is moved or otherwise altered in the timeline. Not having the markers that do this severely limits their usefulness.

Tim

Return to posts index

Dan Pearce
on Apr 11, 2015 at 4:29:51 pm

I'll throw in my 2 cents regards track targeting...

Personally i was hoping we'd now be able to change track targets whilst in Trim mode.
At present one has to deselect edit points (taking you out of trim mode), make a new track selection, go back into trim mode. I find this ruins the experience of going up and down a timeline whilst in trim mode.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 12, 2015 at 5:01:08 am

Hi Dennis,

There are a number of things. The patching and track selection should have a follow function. Way too much mousing, clicking and dragging has to happen. In FCP 7 for instance a right click would give you the option to pull the target to from A1 or A2. In Premiere you have to drag it. Check out how avid can easily select track targets by lassoing and option lassoing over them. Its extremely smooth.

Re: Markers

When I'm playing a sequence, I want to hit "M" (or whatever hotkey) and the track that is targeted should have a marker placed on the clip. This is HUGE for cutting down events into highlights. Currently Premiere forces me to stop click on the clip and add a marker. This slows down my work process so badly that Premiere is just unusable for the loss in time. There is no reason markers should default to sticking to the top. As soon and you make an edit that time in place is obsolete and the marker is of no use. I want to hit play and mark up selects on the timeline without the stopping.

Oh and a fade down command like Avid's! That would be awesome! I have more but those are the biggies for me.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Apr 12, 2015 at 1:05:25 pm

"I want to hit play and mark up selects on the timeline without the stopping"

I agree with this. FCP7 had an "extend and edit marker" keyboard shortcut. Although to be fair, you couldn't use it with clip markers.

When I first saw Ppro's marker window I thought it was excellent - then I realised that it only shows sequence markers - it should show all markers in a sequence.

And what is it with Premiere and stopping playback? To edit a marker I have to double click on it, and not only does playback stop but the playhead shifts to the marker before grinding to a halt - why? I can't think of any situation in which that would be desirable behaviour.

It's possible that Prelude does all the above better than FCP ever did but I can't use it as nearly all projects start with pluraleyes and xml. Maybe if Premiere projects could be sent to Prelude that would work. Or how about bringing Prelude functionality into Ppro - like with the new colour tools?

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Apr 12, 2015 at 1:21:13 pm

Hit D (select clip at playhead) and then M while the timeline plays. This puts the marker on the clip.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 12, 2015 at 2:35:49 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Hit D (select clip at playhead) and then M while the timeline plays. This puts the marker on the clip."

Or select the clip with the mouse.

And clip markers move with clips.

David

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Apr 12, 2015 at 3:16:48 pm

"And clip markers move with clips." Which is why they are so much more useful than sequence markers. In FCP as well though, they felt like the poorer cousins.

In Ppro you can't edit a clip marker from the keyboard, you can't edit a clip marker without stopping playback and you can't extend the range at all. You also can't see clip markers in the markers window without selecting clips.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 12, 2015 at 3:23:27 pm

[andy lewis] "In Ppro you can't edit a clip marker from the keyboard, you can't edit a clip marker without stopping playback and you can't extend the range at all. You also can't see clip markers in the markers window without selecting clips."

It ain't perfect, it's very true. But make feature requests. The Adobe guys do listen and the squeaky wheels do tend to get greased. Maybe not as fast as we'd sometimes like but they don't have infinite resources, either.

David

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 13, 2015 at 3:11:55 pm

For me the avid methods work for speed.

Track selection by keyboard follows source/record focus

'Auto-patch' is an option - so selected source tracks are patched to selected record tracks, change the selection and the patch moves.

Tracks selectable are A1-24 and V1-24. (They don't have separate 'source' and 'target' toggles)

Couple of screengrabs to show what I mean, hopefully. Keyboard only in Avid bits, not possible in PPro.

Simple and Detailed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]