FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise Reduction (video)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Noise Reduction (video)
on Apr 7, 2015 at 11:55:04 pm

I know it's been discussed before, but I haven't seen anything recent. Does anyone have a recommendation for a plugin that DOESN'T slow FCPX down badly?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
Re: Noise Reduction (video)
on Apr 8, 2015 at 1:29:32 pm

Can you define:

[Mitch Ives] " DOESN'T slow FCPX down badly?"

More clearly?

IE, do you mean it doesn't require render time and create choppy playback... or simply having it installed slows down the app...

If it's the former, noise reduction is very expensive, computationally speaking. Until three or four years ago, even audio noise reduction was a largely offline affair for the highest quality noise reduction algorithms.

Having said that, has anyone tried Photon Pro? Cursory research shows it's as "slow" as neat video, but the results seem acceptable/good and it's about 3/5ths the price with a much simpler interface.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 8, 2015 at 2:04:25 pm

[Petros Kolyvas] "IE, do you mean it doesn't require render time and create choppy playback... or simply having it installed slows down the app..."

I want to avoid having something installed that slows X down. This seems to be a complaint with Neat.

I also realize that using a plugin is an intensive process, but I'd like to find something that takes advantage of the new MacPro. Neat seems to be written to work with everything. Often times this means it isn't optimized for anything. I'm not saying thats the case with Neat, but it's often the case...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 8, 2015 at 4:13:21 pm

I've tried photon pro. It's not as amazing as neat. I was trying it with some super8 footage with some decent results, but there seems to be a threshold. If your footage isn't totally wacked, then it's not going to do much, whereas with Neat you have more control and can really dial it in on even just the slightest noisy footage.

But, I didn't do any major testing. For the price photon is worth a shot. In either case, you're probably better off exporting the cleaned up footage as a quicktime and bringing it back in so you never have to worry about it coming unrendered and slowing things down.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 8, 2015 at 4:19:18 pm

[Bret Williams] "In either case, you're probably better off exporting the cleaned up footage as a quicktime and bringing it back in so you never have to worry about it coming unrendered and slowing things down."

Good advice Brett... thanks. In the end I'll probably go with neat, but I'll be watching it for performance issues...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:17:58 pm

Do the Red Giant plugins not work in FCPX? I think you can buy Denoiser II as a standalone. Works great in AE and FCP7.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:24:35 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:14:57 pm

I have Neat and it doesn't slow FCPX down when I am not using it.

You can download a demo and see for yourself.

Also, neat video works amazingly well on noisy footage, and sometimes it takes a bit of setting up, but the results are well worth it.

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:26:31 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I have Neat and it doesn't slow FCPX down when I am not using it."

Same.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:08:09 pm

That's good news... I know Neat is considered the best. If it stays out of the way when I'm not using it, that's good enough...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:14:14 pm

Do you need to use it on every clip, or just some clips?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:18:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Do you need to use it on every clip, or just some clips?"

I get GH4 footage that is shot in low light from time to time, so I need to clean it up. Light... can I get some light on that footage, please?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:35:39 pm

I use it on 180 or 120 fps footage a lot, and it truly is neat. Neat isn't even really a decent term, it's much more than neat.

The reason I ask is that you can turn off all the clips that have it simultaneously. If you set those clips with a Role of "Neat", you can go the Index, type "Neat" in the search field, select the results, open the inspector, and turn Neat on or off en masse. Alternatively, you can add a _Neat to the names of the clips if you son't want to use a Role and search for "_Neat" in the index.

This helps a lot if you have many clips to Neat that are interspersed in a long timeline.

BIG caveat, this only works if the clips have the exact same filters on them. So, if two clips have Neat, a third clip has Neat and Tidy, you select all three of those and uncheck Neat, it will only turn off on the clips that have Neat only. The clip with Neat and Tidy will still have Neat turned on.

Like Tony, I try and wait until near the end, but you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes

you just might find

you get what you neeyeeed..

(awe yeah)

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:28:46 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Do the Red Giant plugins not work in FCPX? I think you can buy Denoiser II as a standalone. Works great in AE and FCP7."

While Colorista III from the MB suite works in FCP X now, Denoiser II does not unfortunately.

--

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:37:24 pm

I try to just make Neat the last thing I do. I might do a couple of clips but then uncheck the box in the inspector until the timeline is as close to locked as possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]