FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Editors...need not apply!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
FCP 7 Editors...need not apply!
on Mar 27, 2015 at 1:42:23 pm

It's happened......looking for X only editors (and look at the riches you'll earn with their annual salary!)

-----------------

8v36j-4930517034@job.craigslist.org

Video Editor - Final Cut Pro X (Fairfax County)
compensation: $40,000 / year plus benefits

Growing, established production company in Northern Virginia is seeking a Final Cut Pro X editor to add to our team. This is a great opportunity to push your creativity while working with a wide variety of content and clients.

This is a full-time, salary position starting at $40,000 with benefits for qualified candidates.
The position is 100% on-site in our studios in Fairfax County. Reliable transportation is required.

To apply we require a reel or samples of your past work.

We also request that you demonstrate the following minimum skills in order to be considered:

• 2+ years editing experience.
• Strong Final Cut Pro X experience. (FCP7 or Premier exclusive editors need not apply)
• Demonstrate a basic understanding of color correction.
• Apple Motion experience. (Must be able to make titles, lower 3rds, etc.)
• Must be able to communicate clearly and professionally in writing.
• Must be able to demonstrate professional client interaction skills.
• Must be able/willing to assist with field production from time to time.
• Strong work ethic and love of filmmaking.
• Willingness to learn new things and work creatively with producers, directors or independently.

The skills above are minimum requirements.
Other production and post-production skills are always a plus.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: FCP 7 Editors...need not apply!
on Mar 27, 2015 at 1:47:12 pm

[Andy Field] "(and look at the riches you'll earn with their annual salary!)"

Where do I sign?!

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 27, 2015 at 2:28:14 pm

This gig could go to a kid a few years out of college. Forty grand and bennies is not too bad at 23 or 24...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:06:13 pm

40 K is about double the poverty line wage for a family of four, but less than half the median wage in that part of Virginia, which, due to proximity to all the government stuff, is going to have a higher cost of living all around. For a single person living ascetically and frugally, it's doable, but unlikely to be sustainable if they get married or start having kids, unless it's a 2-income relationship, or crushing student loan debt. Fairfax rents are going to be notably higher, too. Figure on a cheaper place further out, then add back the commuting costs.

40 k is an impressive amount, all at once, in your lap. 40 K a year is not exactly failing, but it's really just a starting wage for someone at the lower rungs of the ladder, or a really sweet part-time gig on the side.

And let's not get too hysterical: the actual copy says you mustn't be 7 or premiere EXCLUSIVE. They don't mind that you know more than one system, they just emphasize that they are centered around x and Motion. Nobody, repeat, nobody, thinks that it's a BAD thing to also have, say, After Effects expertise as well.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:11:09 pm

[Mark Suszko] "40 K a year is not exactly failing, but it's really just a starting wage for someone at the lower rungs of the ladder, or a really sweet part-time gig on the side."

I teach at the #1 graduate school for advertising in the country and our art directors and copywriters average between 45-50k getting out...in any market (with a masters). I would say that $40k for possibly your first job is pretty comfy. That will be filled quickly.

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:12:30 pm

Here's an interesting analysis. http://taxfoundation.org/blog/real-value-100-each-state

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 28, 2015 at 12:03:01 am

Except it requires 2+ years editing experience. Far from a first job.

But still plenty decent for someone in their 20s without a family to support.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:23:09 pm
Last Edited By Ryan Holmes on Mar 27, 2015 at 5:03:26 pm

[Andy Field] "(FCP7 or Premier exclusive editors need not apply)"

This type of language in a job posting always strikes me as strange. I know they are a FCP X facility, and the candidate that would be most comfortable fastest is an editor who knows and uses X already...I get that. From that standpoint the language makes sense. However, I do all the hiring and firing for my team and while we're exclusively a Premiere Pro CC I don't consider that the bar for which I determine whom I hire. In fact, I just hired two people who are (were?) FCP X editors and now they're working in Premiere. Does that mean they have some transition time? Yes. But a good candidate is more than which NLE they know.

The NLE is a tool. It doesn't define the artist. It doesn't make the story compelling. It doesn't know when to cut. I'm more concerned that the candidate understands rules of composition and cinematography, timing, color theory, lighting, and sound then I am with whether they know how to trim using Avid, Adobe, or Apple. It seems like you could lose out on a lot of great candidates by simply saying, "unless you know (fill in the blank software) we don't want you." If I had taken that approach many of the people who work for me today (who I think are rock stars) wouldn't be working for me.

Maybe I'm crazy....just my $.02

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2015 at 4:58:24 pm

You're not crazy, Ryan. It's like asking for an artist who only paints with brushes that have black handles, versus brown. That's an H.R. Department type of POV.

Certainly, their feeling must be that they really need a person that's ready to work on day one, on the specified system, and they have no time or budget to transition someone... But I have known people that know what every button does... they just had no idea when or how they should use them.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 28, 2015 at 12:05:30 am

If you need someone to hit the ground running, then it would be appropriate. Otherwise a bit shortsighted.

Return to posts index

Mick McCleery
on Mar 30, 2015 at 6:32:25 pm

You could not be more right Ryan. If I count 'cutting and pasting' super-8 film back in the early 80's, I am now on my 8th editing system in my career (just made the jump from FCP7 to PProCC). Does it take some time to find one's way around the new interface? Of course. But I would certainly come down on the side of "short sighted' for the company that placed that original ad.

In my teaching I address this very same thing in this way:

Take any writer. Stephen King for example. Whether you think he is any good or not he is surely an accomplished writer. By virtue of all that he has written, he is also an accomplished typist. If someone (somehow) was able to come in overnight and change all the keys on his keyboard so that all of the letters were in different places. Stephen would no longer be that accomplished typist. He would struggle for a while to learn the new keyboard and his production would slow. But before too long he would be right back up to speed.
The keyboard is just a tool of course. Just like an editing program... or for that matter, someone who believes that the editing program makes the editor. ;-D (just kidding... mostly)

Mick McCleery
Film Teacher, Indie Film Maker.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Apr 4, 2015 at 9:25:59 pm

I've noticed a developing trend (its been developing for quite a while) that many are not looking for editors they are looking for software technicians. While modern software has created a lot of conveniences, because of those conveniences there is a lot more second guessing what the editor does.

For instance the multi-take feature where you can quickly swap between takes that have different i/o points. During a review someone will ask to see the other takes. They don't say what exactly bothers them about the current sequence (shot composition seems out of place, dialogue is too slow/rushed, etc), they just ask to see the others. The editor is stuck constantly reworking the timeline while the director/producer/whoever is effectively the editor while they are simply the person working the software. (Though even without that feature, there has still been a move to this)

I'm in agreement that I would want someone that has the skillset to be an editor (which doesn't change if you are on FCP, MC, or a Moviola), but we're seeing a lot more of the higher ups not understanding this and feel that editing is simply a mechanical process.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 27, 2015 at 4:19:14 pm

[Andy Field] "(and look at the riches you'll earn with their annual salary!)"

$40,000 in Northern Virginia? That's quite a lot of money. I'd say that's comparable to $80K in Los Angeles, maybe more. Cost of living out there is nowhere near what it is in areas where editors earn big bucks.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 27, 2015 at 4:47:31 pm

[Shane Ross] " where editors earn big bucks"

yeah, both of them. ;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 27, 2015 at 6:35:27 pm

[Shane Ross] "$40,000 in Northern Virginia? That's quite a lot of money. I'd say that's comparable to $80K in Los Angeles"

Northern Virginia means Washington, DC. I can assure you it's not any cheaper than Los Angeles. According to the cost of living calculator a $40K salary in DC = a $38K salary in L.A.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 27, 2015 at 7:34:16 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Northern Virginia means Washington, DC. I can assure you it's not any cheaper than Los Angeles."

I think that's important to note both for people living in LA and people NOT living in LA. There are loads of places that are at least expensive as LA, and have traffic every bit as bad, if not worse. Places are just places.

Specifically, Fairfax County is the second-richest in the US. That said, the median income is $60,000 for men, $40,000 for women.

(Ahem. The 77% number we talk about for women's salaries compared to men's is for white women. The more minorities you include in the number, the further down it goes -- hence in Fairfax, on average, women are only making 66% what men are.)

My point being that $40,000 is clearly an entirely respectable number, even in Fairfax County.

Two things jumped out at me.

"2+ years editing experience." Assuming you graduate from college at 21 or 22, this job is clearly aimed at someone in their early 20s -- which again emphasizes the reasonable-ness of the number, ESPECIALLY for a job with benefits.

Of course, since most FCPX editors are illiterate skateboarders, the job is actually aimed at 15 year olds. Score!

Kidding aside, this a genuinely solid job offer for someone with the called-for qualifications.

Which is the other thing that jumped out at me: what's NOT in the job description.

We can all recall job descriptions mentioned in this forum that piled an INSANE amount of stuff in there that no one human could possibly have, for an offensively low salary.

I've already established that $40K is a nifty number even in Fairfax, but no kidding, look at the qualifications: editing, basic color correction, enough Motion to be able to do lower thirds, chewing with your mouth closed, being able to work in an office, and not being an idiot.

Surely at least half of FCPX users can pull this off.

Although the chewing with your mouth closed suggests applicants of at least 16 years old, which does in fact rule out about half of FCPX users, what with being illiterate skateboarders and all. Sorry about that, fellas.

Kidding aside again, one implication of this is the same as what other people have mentioned for other NLEs. "I use what the boss/client says, and I don't complain." I think it's perfectly reasonable to say, "We're not interested in applicants who are going to try to make us feel bad about choices, and we DO want somebody who's using the latest version of the tool of choice. The rest of you can go back to your dinosaur caves."

I do think that this is an interesting headline, though, and I'm sorry to sniff the possibility of the discussion being derailed by the salary. IT'S A GOOD SALARY for someone with 2-ish years of experience, even in Fairfax. They've probably already filled the job.

What with there being such a deep pool of illiterate skateboarders to draw from.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 27, 2015 at 7:45:08 pm

I am functionally illiterate, but sadly not a skateboarder. The phrase..."need not apply" does turns my head back to more unpleasant times, though.

Tim

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:01:07 pm

"and the sign said long-haired hippies, need not apply...."

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:39:19 pm

Indeed. Puts me in mind of Todd Browning's Freaks. "Like us...like us..."

Tim

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:08:07 pm

Assuming the 40K is after taxes and etc. are taken out, that's roughly $3300 a month. A very cursory check of tiny studio apartment prices in Fairfax yields $1300 a month to $1700. Subtract $200 for food and $100 for gas or public transit (should probably be the other way around), and free parking, the "respectable" wage leaves $1700 for the month for all the other bills and discretionary spending or savings. Doable, indeed, for a youngster, if you're not "up in da club" every night and live on Top Ramen. And you don't have major health costs pop up or a student loan to pay off.

It's a better salary if earned in my town, where 2-3 bed apartments rent for 500 bucks, utilities are low, 200 bucks feeds five for a week, and health care is very available. And we have an indoor skate park/punk record store for the editors to meet in.:-)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:13:03 pm

Whoops, I got my geography all wrong. That's what I get for being a westerner (Montana). My wife (Born and raised in DC) would be so disappointed in me.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:36:22 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Assuming the 40K is after taxes and etc. are taken out"

I'm curious what leads you to this assumption. All jobs we post in my corporate environment, and all jobs I've applied for post pre-tax salaries. My assumption when I read that is $40K is before taxes...his/her take home would be $30K-$35K depending on withholdings, outside gigs, and the money they make from customizing skateboards! :-)

Still a livable wage for an energetic early-to-mid 20-something looking to grab the world by its tail, but with decidedly less money to "make it rain" in da club!

My experience is not universal so you may be entirely correct in your assumption. I just have not experienced that in my circles...

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:43:11 pm

[Mark Suszko] "It's a better salary if earned in my town, where 2-3 bed apartments rent for 500 bucks, utilities are low, 200 bucks feeds five for a week, and health care is very available."

Holy crap, Mark! Where do you live? You can barely find a 600 sqft. 1 bedroom apt. for less than $1,000/mo. in my neck of the woods.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:03:12 pm

I know, it's insanely cheap where I live; it was the only reason I could afford to take the job when it was first offered, because the wage wasn't enough for Chicago living, (still isn't IMO) but downstate is much easier. I make much more than 40K now of course, but I still feel like I'm just treading water, some days, when the unexpected bills pop up.

I assumed the $40k was before taxes, I was just making a point in my subtle way that the 40 wasn't even a real 40, that the after-tax monthly amount was not going to make our skateboarding Walter Murch Jr. rich at three grand a month before rent and expenses.

I don't know if the high schools do this exercise any more, but I think they really should: in my day, we had a one-week-long class on life skills after graduation, where we had to research all this kind of stuff, learn how to handle banking, mortgages and loan notes, finding and getting an apartment, furniture, and a car, how to pay rent checks and write receipts, total a food budget, etc. and come up with a budget and a P/L statement, and show what kind of standard of living we'd be able to expect in our leisure time in terms of entertainment/culture and The Finer Things. The room full of randomly-assigned boy-girl couples also randomly got assigned the extra expenses of a "surprise" baby in the mix, and it led to a lot of the kids in the unit getting a new urgency in their job hunting and career plans, once they'd worked up their "profile". I got a b-plus I think on mine, but my fake wife and I had 2 jobs and expenses cut to the bone, we never ate out or did anything more expensive than a second-run movie with $2 tickets, a beater car, a fleabag apartment in the bad side of town, no regular health care, but at least we weren't sleeping in our car, or a camper van, as some of the students' budgets calculated.

Sadly, as some recent books and documentaries have shown, it hasn't gotten any easier since the seventies, if you can't get out of the minimum wage pit for a paycheck. We can argue all day about what a "liveable" wage is, what's a frill and what's basic survival. I stand by my premise that forty a year for a kid, fresh out of school seems like a lot, but really isn't, unless they are exceptionally disciplined, financially.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:37:48 pm

Ah, I see. I have a few co-workers who also live downstate for similar reasons, though they officially belong to the Chicago office.

High school home economics, I remember it well. By the time I got there in the early eighties, the emphasis was much less focused on outside of the home skills, and more on teaching us how terrible it would be to have babies in high school. Strangely, they didn't really tie it to the economics of being a young parent (educational opportunities, cost of prenatal care, etc.) I did learn how to balance a checkbook though... so that was useful.

[Mark Suszko] "Sadly, as some recent books and documentaries have shown, it hasn't gotten any easier since the seventies, if you can't get out of the minimum wage pit for a paycheck. We can argue all day about what a "liveable" wage is, what's a frill and what's basic survival. I stand by my premise that forty a year for a kid, fresh out of school seems like a lot, but really isn't, unless they are exceptionally disciplined, financially."

Yes, I completely agree. I also think it's great that the hiring company is offering benefits. I would have been thrilled for an opportunity like this 25 years ago.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2015 at 10:06:00 pm

When the salary is low, I like to remind the youngsters starting out that there is always the opportunity to negotiate on some "value-added" items on the side to offset the lower pay.

Many companies will pay moving expenses, for example. But you could think bigger. This could be something like picking up your tab for entry fees for entering your work in annual video competitions (which can reflect back positively on the employer and clients and be good PR) or the time and travel expenses for going to user group meetings or even NAB. I've never been; I hear it's cool.

Other ideas include paying for follow-on training materials or classes, or plug-ins when you need one. It might be a transportation stipend (monthly bus pass) or free parking (not insignificant in many cities), a pass to the local health club, a liberal flex-time schedule, after-hours equipment access for private personal projects; any number of perks that might be free or low-cost to the company, but become valuable perks to the workers and make them more skilled or productive or just happy. That's all worth something.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:08:07 pm

Actually Shane 40k in Fairfax Virginia is NOT a lot of money. It's just outside if DC where the average government worker supporting a family makes between 60 and 150k a year. And I'm certain they're not looking for a fresh out of film school grad but someone with years of experience already

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:21:58 pm

I realized that...I said my geography of the area was wrong.

It does look like a starter position.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 27, 2015 at 10:02:12 pm

[Shane Ross] "It does look like a starter position.
"

Yes, 2 yrs+ of experience isn't much. All things considered, $40K is probably high for that job elsewhere, so probably right in line with a higher cost-of-living locale. You have to question the job listing a little itself. Premiere is incorrectly named (it's Premiere not Premier). It asks for Motion knowledge, but mainly for the purpose of titles and lower thirds - all of which can be done in the NLE without Motion. I'm actually surprised it doesn't also ask for web and videographer experience. That tends to be the norm these days for similar positions.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:56:28 pm

[Andy Field] "And I'm certain they're not looking for a fresh out of film school grad but someone with years of experience already"

The job says 2+ years. I guess technically that's "years of experience," but especially from a school like Full Sail, SCAD (in Atlanta, an easy drive to DC), or the Art Institutes, you could actually graduate as early as age 20 and EASILY have no less than a year of real-world experience. Two isn't out of the question. Certainly not by age 21-ish.

In any case, "2+ years" is a very young person.

[Andy Field] "It's just outside if DC where the average government worker supporting a family makes between 60 and 150k a year."

I'm not picking on you when I say this, Andy. There are obviously a LOT of people saying this. You just happen to be at the end of the thread as I'm typing.

Did y'all miss the ACTUAL median income I cited in my previous post? In the ACTUAL world of what people are ACTUALLY paid in Fairfax, this is an ACTUAL decent salary for someone in their early 20s.

Wait, what's this? The AVERAGE PER CAPITA INCOME in Fairfax County is...wait for it, wait for it...$38,888. Well well well, LESS than $40,000.

In fairness, I don't think per capita is the right number to look at. Median income is the right one...and in fact, this one is right in line what it should be for someone with so little experience. This was not a number pulled out of thin air.

And the ad implies that the number could be higher for someone with actual skills. Which FCPX obviously does not require, as we established years ago, so never mind. LOL

Kidding of course, but I so so so so think that the salary is not the story. Although, in classic The Debate fashion, why NOT debate whether a salary this close to the area median (and exactly AT the median for a woman) for someone with so little experience is fair or not. I think it is, you think it's not, fine.

But the numbers are the numbers. They actually exist, and if an idiot like me can find them in seconds, I ask you, on behalf of idiots everywhere, to please at least START with the actual numbers being earned in Fairfax County, and whether or not it's reasonable for someone with as little as 2-ish years to be so close to, or exactly AT the median, at such a young age.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Mar 27, 2015 at 11:01:03 pm

These kids of ads have been around for years. Before this, they were always for FCP (Legacy) editors or Adobe Premiere editors. "We want experience and skills and oh yeah, heavy motion graphics, and be a rockstar and do web services..." and blah blah blah. They were ridiculous in 2005 and they're ridiculous now.

Nothing new to see here. Carry on.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Mar 27, 2015 at 11:44:32 pm

Actually the norm (even at the major networks) is now several years experience shooting, writing, editing, tweeting, facebook-ing, window washing.....The individual editing skill set (or pick any of the skills above) no longer valued,needed or appreciated.) Do it all, sometimes at half or a third the rate of older professionals now retired or forced out of a job, or don't bother applying. That is the new normal.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Mar 28, 2015 at 12:01:36 am

Fortunately, not in net promo. Yet. But the rate has flatlined since the Great Recession of 2008. Even before that, starting with the last writers strike. But woe be to the junior marketing and "digital" guys. It's like 1995 out there.

And while "you get what you pay for" is still true, an experienced editor or preditor now has to take what he can get. Or enjoy "early retirement" (aka unemployment").

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Mar 28, 2015 at 2:15:55 pm

[Shane Ross] "I'd say that's comparable to $80K in Los Angeles, maybe more. Cost of living out there is nowhere near what it is in areas where editors earn big bucks."

I'd like to think that, Shane.

I had two interviews recently I went for just to see what's what out there. I'm in LA. I'm not a kid out of college and have been doing this for a few years ;)

One was $40K a year and the other was $50K. These weren't for a project. This was for full time staff positions.

It's where we are at the moment. People want the cheapest, not the most skilled or the best. It seems every job wants to know my rate and could care less about looking at my reel.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 28, 2015 at 3:57:01 pm

[Warren Eig] "People want the cheapest, not the most skilled or the best. It seems every job wants to know my rate and could care less about looking at my reel."

Warren, you are not alone. I have had explicitly expressed to me for a potential position I applied for once. You are right, there is literally zero consideration given to skills or experience, merely who ballparks the lowest number they would ask for. Not even room for negotiations.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 28, 2015 at 12:57:39 am

[Andy Field] "+ years editing experience.
• Strong Final Cut Pro X experience. (FCP7 or Premier exclusive editors need not apply)"

finally, after years waiting, an ad that matches the scientology of FCPX.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 28, 2015 at 4:50:39 am

Just over ONE year after Apple plumbed the collaboration (Library) pipes into X and look what happens. Jobs popping up. It's like they gave the early adopters a few years to explore all the deep stuff - then bingo. The serious workflows start taking off. Database driven editing FTW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2015 at 3:04:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "Apple plumbed the collaboration (Library) pipes into X "

I'm not sure Library = collaboration. There's nothing about the Library that's any more or less collaborative than the way it was before. If anything the Library is a more "normal" way of working, which means some folks who were resistant are now more comfortable with the overall design, since it's closer to Premiere, Legacy and Media Composer.

I think it's more indicative that the software has been out for about 4 years. This is roughly the same stage when FCP Legacy started cropping up at more and more facilities.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 28, 2015 at 11:33:58 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "finally, after years waiting, an ad that matches the scientology of FCPX."

But Aindreas, you're the only one who's been virtually asking us to hold your sanded beercan galvinometer while you berate all and sundry with a view toward breaking down our will and hoping that we'll confess to variety of real and imagined "trackless" NLE sins.

That kind of makes you the "auditor" of the forum doesn't it?

Plus, you sometimes write a tiny bit in the cadence of an alien - so perhaps you're L Ron Hubbard's spitir in disguise? CLEAR?

(in your defense, you never followed up asking any of us to sign over any real property "for the good of the church" - like some of the uglier "religions" manage - so it's a singularly limited analogy at best!)

Personally, I like leaving references to religion out of my arguments. When I read them I get paranoid and have to hold onto my wallet super tight.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 28, 2015 at 1:26:41 am
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 28, 2015 at 2:00:47 am

Interesting to see job postings such as this. Looks like X is no longer a toy, debate is over. I left the other version far behind, thherfore I am no dinosaur. Wait, something about wanting to film with Super 8 might contradict that statement.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 28, 2015 at 11:34:07 am

[David Mathis] "Looks like X is no longer a toy, debate is over. "

Geez, David, don't say that! What will they "debate" at NAB? And then we have to debate about the new name for this forum (which really needs a new name)!

;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Mar 28, 2015 at 9:49:18 pm

Even in the "rich" Bay Area, it is not uncommon for college grads to take jobs as interns earning minimum wage or less before they land a real job. So, if this is a first time job, it is not such a bad starting point. Making 40 and living back with the parents, could be a reasonably profitable beginning. In this economy it makes sense for 20 somethings to defer on the spouse, the kid, the house for a while.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Mar 29, 2015 at 2:04:24 am

Said goodbye to a 4 year old Corporate gig the first of February and I've been actively shaking the bushes in DFW since then. I have seen one job ask for FCPX this entire time. Doesn't mean folks aren't using it. I know they are. I use it on some gigs. But it is next to never that you see it advertised. Only slightly higher for Avid. It's all Creative Cloud they ask for not even PPro specifically in each instance. So there may be something to that "We need somebody to do everything" bit.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 29, 2015 at 8:06:52 pm

the fact that this thread has gone bonkers on a single job posting found in the wild answers the question in a way?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 2, 2015 at 9:21:29 pm

[Andy Field] "(FCP7 or Premier exclusive editors need not apply)"

Bad spellers and those with little attention to detail, please apply!

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]