FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: interesting looking camrea

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
OT: interesting looking camrea
on Mar 26, 2015 at 2:42:55 am

It shoots on Super 8 film but it has some nice looking features.

http://www.pro8mm.com/logmar-super-8-camera.php

Feel free to discuss. Not sure of cost or availability as of yet.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: OT: interesting looking camrea
on Mar 26, 2015 at 6:42:11 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Mar 26, 2015 at 6:46:28 am

Bit of a shame they didn't come up with this piece of kit 10-15 years ago, before 24p/4K digital weren't already so ubiquitous. If I really want to shoot film in 2015 it's going to be 35mm or IMAX to be worth the effort/$. I haven't heard of anyone shooting 16mm in a long time let alone Super 8.

Also—16-bit/48Khz OGG-compressed audio falls kinda short when I can get 24-bit/96 kHz BWF recording in an entry level Zoom audio recorder. That said, kudos to them for actually building a new camera, no easy feat.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2015 at 11:36:25 am

Apparently Argo shot some super 8. Here's an article about the Logmar I posted here 3 days ago. Apparently they're going for $3500-5000.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/logmar-super-8/

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 26, 2015 at 5:07:38 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Mar 26, 2015 at 5:08:46 pm

[Noah Kadner] " I haven't heard of anyone shooting 16mm in a long time let alone Super 8."

Well... there was Black Swan and The Hurt Locker. I think The Walking Dead is also still shooting Super 16.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2015 at 6:11:59 pm

Yes...all films mentioned were major films with budgets. Shooting film is a nice thought...and has nice colors and grain and all that. But then you need to process it and telecine it. NOT CHEAP! It's fine for projects with bigger budgets, but pretty much everything I work on has shrinking budgets...even all the broadcast shows I do, networks trying to squeeze all they can.

We shot a LOT of Super 8 as historic recreation 8-10 years ago. I even own a couple super 8mm cameras, and shot many of them. But now with all the filters we can get, and with the inexpensive digital cameras, we can mimic that look without really shooting film.

Yes, I'd love to keep doing it, as film still has a look that one can only get when you shoot film. But realistically, it's not there. Still too expensive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Mar 26, 2015 at 11:55:15 pm

Everytime I go to the multiplex I watch at the end to see if it was digital or film in the beginning. Just saw Focus and looks like it was done on Kodak and then immediately transferred to digital. A Million Ways to Die in the West was shot in 4k. It will be interesting to see how long film will last in this format. It all gets shipped out as digital media to the theaters, anyway.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 26, 2015 at 11:57:05 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "Just saw Focus and looks like it was done on Kodak and then immediately transferred to digital. "

Focus was shot on the Alexa.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]