FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red rocket X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
Red rocket X
on Mar 25, 2015 at 8:53:45 pm

Has anyone out there got any stats for how much a red rocket x in a sonnet enclosure will help improve encode times with the new Mac pro and fcpx/redcine x?

Looking at 6K and 4K r3d files, being encoded to prores 4K

Thanks for any input!

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Red rocket X
on Mar 26, 2015 at 12:15:33 am

I have an NVIDIA Titan X on order so I can't tell you if it is faster than a RED Rocket card but I will be interested in seeing if it does. I have been running 6k Dragon files in Resolve at close to full speed (25fps) using an older GTX680 NVIDIA so the Titan X which is hugely more powerful may give me full debayering full speed on 6k RED without needing a Red Rocket. Of course the advantage of one card that speeds up every codec is important and the price is much cheaper than a Red Rocket.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: d rocket X
on Mar 26, 2015 at 12:27:43 am

Hey Michael! I'm really looking forward to your report. I too have a GTX 680, so your results will meaningful to me.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 26, 2015 at 12:34:02 am

Hi David,

I won't be able to compare to this new Red Rocket card but if it is fast enough then you can afford to buy four Titan X for the price of a Red Rocket X card.

Also I am running it in a WIN 7 PC with mobo PCI not a satellite so milage may vary. Card was due in the country yesterday so might not get it in and working till next week but I will let you know.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:20:25 am

From Sonnets homepage:

RED ROCKET:
- 24 fps @ 5K, full-frame, 8-bit
- 11 fps @ 5K, full-frame, 16-bit

RED ROCKET X:
- 32 fps @ 5K, full-frame, 8-bit (note: should be sufficient for playback of dailies in the field)
- 16 fps @ 5K, full-frame, 16-bit
- 22 fps @ 6K, full-frame, 8-bit
- 12 fps @ 6K, full-frame, 16-bit
- 64.5 fps @ 6K, full-frame, 8-bit, exporting to 1080
- 58.5 fps @ 6K, full-frame, 8-bit, exporting to 1080 (note: should be able to do 3D 1080 in real time)

So... 6K to 4K @ 16-bit output I guess should be in the realm of realtime (24 / 25 fps).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]