FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Database to get even better

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
FCPX Database to get even better
on Mar 24, 2015 at 11:28:31 pm

Apple are clearly looking to strengthen the database in FCPX!

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/24/apple-acquires-foundationdb/

Seriously though, come on Apple time for another update

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FCPX Database to get even better
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:07:47 am

You KNOW that if the update hasn't been released by NAB the big rumor will be Apple discontinuing FCPX and Motion.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:36:27 am

Oh no! Not that. It is way past time for an update.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:45:13 am

Actually there's no indication that this purchase has anything to do with the OS or any Apple app. The article speculates that it could be to shore up Apple's servers.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:39:43 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Actually there's no indication that this purchase has anything to do with the OS or any Apple app. The article speculates that it could be to shore up Apple's servers."

I wasn't being entirely serious :)

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:32:06 am

Yes, because not enough consumers are buying X; iMovie seems good enough and the price is right. Meanwhile no big X breakthrough in pro circles.

So if no update at NAB, possible to think, however paranoid it may sound, that iMovie will get inherit some of the simpler X features, be renamed iMovie Pro and FCPX allowed to drop off the map.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:42:02 am

'....it could achieve 54 billion writes per hour at a cost-per-write of 3 nanodollars. "

And that, my friends, is editing a nutshell.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:42:32 am

I'm just kidding I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2015 at 7:25:52 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "'....it could achieve 54 billion writes per hour at a cost-per-write of 3 nanodollars. ""

And that, my friends, is editing a nutshell.

3 nanodollars... sounds like compensation from a CraigsList ad.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:15:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "'....it could achieve 54 billion writes per hour at a cost-per-write of 3 nanodollars. " And that, my friends, is editing a nutshell."

[Andrew Kimery] "3 nanodollars... sounds like compensation from a CraigsList ad."

But you make it up in volume! The rate above is $162/hr.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 25, 2015 at 5:52:09 am

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "Meanwhile no big X breakthrough in pro circles. "

Well, except for the BBC News, the Tour de France IBC work, the recent NBC announcement, the Honda Ad, and that pesky major Hollywood movie.

Except for *that stuff* (plus a thousand other pro projects in process all over the world), then yep, no "breakthrough in pro circles" i guess.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:48:23 pm

I believe that "Big Breakthrough" means the ability to suck my company dry of yearly support since 1996; drop some key hardware support from future scope;and be late for the party in the 4K race, whilst almost shutting itself down due to bad business practices.
Nope I dont think FCPX will ever live up to that legendary status :P

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Mar 25, 2015 at 6:00:05 pm

Gotta love Avid!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 25, 2015 at 6:46:49 pm

Avid, one of my favorite financial subjects.

They paint a rosy picture here
http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/avid-announces-fourth-quarter-and-fully...

But this shows Sales Revenue and Gross Revenue declining to a five year low
Net Income is up from the "red" years but looks to be in rapid decline again.
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/avid/financials

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:06:28 pm

I'm being facetious, Bill. X obviously is going fine, and the lack of constant updates should NOT be a sign it will be abandoned. I probably means simply that they don't see it as a pro-only app to be tweaked every few months; it's working well for the user base. And the constant inflow of third party apps and plug-ins is in some ways the updates everyone is looking for.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:51:42 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "I probably means simply that they don't see it as a pro-only app to be tweaked every few months; it's working well for the user base. And the constant inflow of third party apps and plug-ins is in some ways the updates everyone is looking for.
"

I'd be happy with the interface being flattened and de-chromed and some speed improvements.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:02:43 pm

I still want a built-in closed captioning and transcription function.
And you should, too, even if you don't caption personally. Because if the capability becomes cheaper and easier, yet better in quality, the universe of programming out there at every level becomes easier to keyword search over time, and that's good for everyone.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 25, 2015 at 9:17:26 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I still want a" ...

Roles Inspector/mixer.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 26, 2015 at 2:33:33 am

No, Richard, I mean all the audio translated to text and then keyword searchable.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:11:39 pm

I, me, personally, still want the roles inspector/mixer.

Regarding this...
[Mark Suszko] "all the audio translated to text"

Speaking as a recovering linguist, "That's science fiction." It is so friggin' hard to do. I won't bore anyone with an analysis, but if that's something interesting to anyone, look up allophonic representation and then consider the alveolar tap and glottal stop as allophones and be amazed at the phonemes they represent. Consider also one more experiment: even if I literally hold my tongue and speak (destroying all the phonemes), the human listener can still parse the semantics. Whoa. A computer analyzes a wave form, but the correspondence between wave form and utterance is extremely tiny. However, I would love to talk with R2D2 and C3PO because that is some cool tech.

:) As Eugene Ionesco said, "Philology leads to calamity!"

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 27, 2015 at 6:25:22 pm

[Richard Herd] "Speaking as a recovering linguist, "That's science fiction." It is so friggin' hard to do. I won't bore anyone with an analysis, but if that's something interesting to anyone, look up allophonic representation and then consider the alveolar tap and glottal stop as allophones and be amazed at the phonemes they represent. Consider also one more experiment: even if I literally hold my tongue and speak (destroying all the phonemes), the human listener can still parse the semantics. Whoa. A computer analyzes a wave form, but the correspondence between wave form and utterance is extremely tiny. However, I would love to talk with R2D2 and C3PO because that is some cool tech.

:) As Eugene Ionesco said, "Philology leads to calamity!""

Richard,

I know it makes me a total geek, but that was really fun to read.

I appreciate your taking the time to write and post it. As a long time Voiceover guy - It was oddly illuminating in an area I love to just think about.

Thank you.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 30, 2015 at 7:29:46 pm

I'm glad it wasn't boring. And one more bit: if anyone ever wants to fool an AI listening device you can always tap the table when you speak, because the computer cannot know what sound is human speech and what is Walla-Walla. Humans can do that easy, like in crowded rooms. We can simply aim our consciousness at another human and understand what he or she is saying.

In reality, what we find is that human learning is so quick and seamless that we can adapt our speech to a computer's input requirements much easier, like navigating a call center. It can be a funny thing to imagine a room full of people talking to their iPads. :)

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:06:41 pm

There are plenty of things we would like to see, at least those of us on this forum. But I assume the slow progress is just fine for the user base.

I have numerous talented high school students who still hobble along with iMovie. I tell them to save up, or ask their parents for the gift of FCPX -- which they quickly learn in class is what they really want to use.

I assume the total user base of X owners who need XML out to ProTools and other refinements is so small that Apple just doesn't think about it.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 25, 2015 at 11:24:42 pm

Back to the OP's topic, here is another view into the acquisition:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lot-people-mad-apple-bought-214756035.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]