FCPX's core market is the "tweeners" - a little above iMovie, a lot below FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
FCPX's core market is the "tweeners" - a little above iMovie, a lot below FCP
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:02:49 pm

I finally watched macbreak properly -

On the FCPX market: "I am now calling them "tweeners"

that is the conclusion of both Alex Lindsay, Steve Martin - the guy who produced the FCPX training, and Mark Spencer - the guy who had to crack out the motion templates for FCPX.

go to 1.27

"that is the core audience" (reference to local mom and pop businesses who can now self produce ads for direct cable on FCPX)

"its not for guys who got into video production, its for the guys who just want to build businesss"
they mean completely uninvolved people outside professional video editing who need to get out basic video cuts online for their business

on the proposed market, small business owners who would otherwise turn to editors to cut the piece
"they're not worried about conforming to 60 to 24, they're just worried, how can I get [self generate] my 30' thing for comcast"

and so they use FCPX. Oh sigh my little heart, we are at a wake, on a forum, with no booze.

Serious to God, and I just ordered my Premiere training, I'm trying to move on, but for the general assembly, this is pretty much from the horses mouth, as it were. We actually need to start internalising this.

also go to 1.19.40 for the new definition of PRO.

I don't know about you, but I studied design, illustration and photography for four years, endless crits, slowly endlessly getting my inability to properly self criticise my creative decisions beaten out of me in weekly crits. It wasn't photoshop that made me. It was years of well, graft really. (and yes, I trained in editing in broadcast - moving out of the design department under the tutelage of editors. I wanted to become an editor,) but - my critical faculties we're branded into me at that point.

The idea that Apple, by dint of simply aiming our now slightly brain damaged editing software at the iMovie masses, is somehow performing a liberalising cultural function makes me laugh, in a really gallows humour way.

Everyone always said Steve Jobs had a severely limited understanding of the cultural arts - that he understood it in a kind of autistic way - he hung BMXs in the hallway in the 80s, he put a piano in the foyer, he walked in with a nice toaster and he told them to make the Mac look like it, he said typography was beautiful because he respected the craft and to a certain extent, yearned for the sophistication. that was great - he was a bill gates type with a certain appreciation for the finer things - so we got a usable creative print design platform at an incredibly early stage of the eighties - a decade ahead of windows, but now? now i swear apple are a danger to the shipping of the professional cultural arts. they think they know what's best for everyone - the professionals, the amateurs, the tweeners, all of us - we're all fine because apple is going to figure *everything* out for us. we all, as editors, just need to sit back.

see this link I'm posting below? I literally could not mean it more.

http://bit.ly/jIUH2N

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: FCPX's core market is the "tweeners" - a little above iMovie, a lot below FCP
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:21:59 pm

What I love hearing is how because it has 4k that = pro...

I can't import files into the timeline in 2240x960...WTFGRTRUN@#$%!

Seriously...I cannot drag files into my timeline unless it conforms to Apple's presets...

my god. If there is a workaround, besides conforming it, please tell me, this cannot be...it really can't be. If it is...may god have mercy on Randy's soul...not a threat, just...my god...what has he done!

/rant...but seriously, is there a workaround?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: FCPX's core market is the "tweeners" - a little above iMovie, a lot below FCP
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:31:22 pm

Forget your frame sizes baby, and put on your shades - a blinding light of creation is coming from cupertino - they are remaking the entire world of film and video editing, when we pass out and wake up, the world will be made anew.

would you look? I'm all ranty again.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:49:19 pm

I'll go check my bible.

I'm sure "the inability to import 2240x960" is directly mentioned as a sign of the apocalypse somewhere.

Boil ALL this piss and vinegar down and it distills to one simple sentence.

This is what **I** want right this minute - so everyone stop and listen to me so I can have what I need to be happy immediately. Which as the father of a teenager, I THOUGHT that I had just recently escaped - and considered the single MOST annoying stage in human discussion development!

Look, if there are actually a large enough percentage of editors that feel they must import 2240x960 footage, it will fail. But I'm guessing not. Most people will figure out what the FCP X timeline likes (just as in DV, DVCPro50 and DSLR workflows) and learn to shoot that.

This is how the business world has always operated. The only difference is that this same discussion took place in Guild Halls, on Shop Floors and in bar conversation between small groups. Now it happens on the net in front of everyone.

The signal to noise ratio of the whole FCP X discussion is, in my estimation, horrible.

But it will be fun to look back to all this immaculately archived public prognosticating in 5 years or so and maybe remember who figured things out and who couldn't see the forest for the trees.

This post is now going to be part of my searchable public record for the rest of my career. (Hi, future!) Reasonableness, fear, loathing, courtesy or dis-courtesy locked in bits and bytes for the world to reference.

It's a brave new era here. Enjoy.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:56:36 pm

With your son you can get him to talk to the hand, here you can scroll on by...you know the name, so you can put on the shades, put it in practice, exploit it all you want, you have the choice. As do I and have done so, which when applied, didn't require me to engage and cosmically over-reach with an absurd response to a tongue and cheek post...

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:01:06 pm

true bill - even if FCPX burns up in the suns corona, and we all stand around in space as green editing lanterns cracking beers, a neutral future observer is still probably going to think that I am definitively out of my gourd.

but for kicks - what do you make of these guy's estimation of FCPXs core market - I mean, they said it right?

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:13:11 pm

I have great images of Cake On Face :)

Richard Clark's kiwicafe.com
Film | Photography | Writing
http://www.kiwicafe.com/
Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:25:41 pm

Well that, god knows, is cake I would wear with a smile.

but to you sir so - what make you of the statements from the men referenced in the video above? They carry a tad of weight no?

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:23:26 pm

i think the superstupid buggers posting pictures of themselves on facebook standing on the roof of a burning cop car after a hockey game in one wild dervish, end of humanity type night in Vancouver, in full high resolution, will feel slightly more "what was I thinking, my parents didn't raise me that way", than the silly reactions you and I have had this week...I might look back with a glint of - I was there, and I got mad-fever..but oh look, my timeline is back :D

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:20:28 pm

Andres,

Since you asked directly about my feelings about the "core market" I'd like to respond to that.

(I actually just published a feature-length Word Press article for another site on just this topic)

Look, anything that can be described with the term "core market" has the characteristic of being insular and self perpetuating. That is EXACTLY what I think FCP X is trying to break down and re-invent.

I think the NLE industry was following the Detroit Auto Industry model lately - they changed colors, picked new seat cover designs, occasionally stuck some mods under the hood (Adobe. for example, is very good in making their recently revived but still old-style cars work better - and as with SUVs they will likely increase market share in the short run and make some good coin because they're working hard to improve their entrenched position) - but in the end, making incremental additions to the big, old fashioned steel boxes that the industry was once based on is, IMO, a very bad long-term strategy.

It fails to move the wider car industry forward. And history tells us that innovation is what truly wins in the long run - NOT incremental tinkering.

The Japanese car companies figured that out at the end of the 1950s - re-tooled for smaller, more fuel efficient cars with better technology and ATE Detroit for lunch for a generation.

The HUGE problem is that after another generation, Detroit went right back to the old "big and bloated is better" thinking and led us into the SUV-era pandering to people with huge, inefficient metal boxes designed to appeal to vanity rather than intellect. Want one of those today? The used car lots are awash with them and nobody wants one when gas is hovers between 3 and 4 bucks a gallon. (something that could have been easily predicted a generation ago.)

Imagine where the US car culture might have been if Detroit had actually learned from the past and bit the bullet to develop something different in the 1990s. If all that energy and money that went into the development of the Escalade had gone into electrics, or hybrids or developed something transformative - you and I would walk into a car showroom today - or shop on the net - and we'd have multiple models of actually fuel efficient, affordable choices. And Detroit might lead the world wide auto industry and be a big factor in driving down US debt. But no. We have waiting lines for the few electric models that are seeping out from our overseas competitors - after Detroit quite literally crushed even the successful models like the EV-1 that were the initial hope for innovation. It's pitiful leadership that protects the status quo even when it's obviously becoming obsolete before our very eyes.

I simply admire people (and companies) who are interested in working towards what's next - and less interested in hanging on to what was once an arbitrary standard.

It's sticking around verses moving forward.

It's why I spent yesterday in the studio with a fellow video pro crafting new interview looks with my LED and fluorescent lights.

Tungsten is old school now. I'm not throwing it out - but you can bet your ass I'm heading towards the new era where cool, power efficient and lighter gear will win over dragging heavy and energy inefficient tungsten kits around.

Same with my NLE. And that's where I see FCP X going.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:32:33 pm

from the WSJ article of FCP angst.

"If you need to get a project out I suggest using Avid. Yes, that truly professional tool made for true professionals for 23 years"

. . . No way Jose. Back in the 90's, yep last century AVIG gave the finger to 40000 Apple users by stating they would no longer support Apple, how the worm turns, that was when I got off AVID and will persevere with FCP, my old version works just fine. I don't buy a new car unless the old one is broke or is no longer cost effective, simple really.

thanks for the common sense Bill, all these 23 year old TV Producers make me laugh. She-it I didn't get in the Biz til I was 24 and we had so many changes from Upright Moviolas to Flatbed KEM/Steenbeck et and then came the god aweful off line era and then I discovered AVID at NAB around 1988, saw the future but didn't embrace it till 93 and then saw FCP and I was hooked into the future, 44years+ later, still there :)

Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:04:41 pm

I remember when I joined the Cow, way back in the 'old days' when I was one of, if not the :) first Editor to have edited a national TV Spot on FCP. The gurus back then always advised me never, ever to upgrade during a project, they always advised me not to be the first editor on the block to buy new software or hardware. Did I always listen . . . NO!
I now LOL at the anguish I am seeing. Apple have begun listening to feedback, they have begun an information page. Apple will begin to address the issues, Apple possibly released too early, maybe, maybe not. I have heard Randy first hand over the years, LAFCPUG and he is not about to allow a great product to die. I have criticized aspects of fcp over the years, I have asked for upgraded media management, guess what Apple did all that and more. I edit Indie Films, Docs, TVC's, FCP has been my platform of choice since the get go. It will be my platform of choice into the future. I don't even have fcp7 yet. I edit from DVtapes and SDcards, not a hitch. No way I am changing whilst I am working and my version is working, which it is. Patience, Patience, Patience.

Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:14:21 pm

[Richard Clark] "he is not about to allow a great product to die"

Here's hoping.

I think what has kept everyone hammering it this week is the shear mountain of changes and or things felt thrown away. Like my little diatribe earlier, I've been playing with HD footage up until today and didn't realize that the formats were truly locked. Every day we find something else lacking...big things

But, as I have said many times, there are some neat things that are in there with potential which could add some credence to the "time will tell" argument...my cynicism though tells me, to get it to a tool I'd want to even use on a somewhat consistent basis will probably end up costing 10x what we paid...but I'd love to see .99 apps for upgrades :)

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:16:29 pm

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

the beginning of the end to the obsfucation :)

Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:34:11 pm

[Richard Clark] "
the beginning of the end to the obsfucation :)"

Really? I think R.Harrington laid out a very good response, as did Walter, who feel more questions were raised than answers.

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:38:45 pm

and I believe, they spoke too soon. It has created a firestorm of misinformation. The same thing happened when Leica went Digital and Leica Lovers aka Strokers went Ballistic. Storm in a tea cup. Just my view and, of course, I may be totally wrong, I was once :)

Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:48:06 pm

While it has probably been argued at length and to death in other threads, sorry OP, some issues do prop up. Export XML seemed rather explicit. No mention of import. Some of the wording kinda, slightly, ruffled my hope with the reliance on 3rd party applications...especially the very costly ones that run over the price of the platform for one feature they said, "we know it's important" (well, ya)...kinda gets the fires burning I'm sure in some that reacted with pause then bombast. If it was important...then, um...it makes one wonder, what editors were consulted on it's development...

Then it comes full circle to iMovie8...I'm running out of gas on blasting this thing too, but that response, I will admit, didn't shake my squirrel cage. Like I said, if we have to pay for the app/upgrades lets hope the market is large enough they give them reasonable price points...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:13:13 am

but surely, by going digital, Leica did not alter the grammar of the lenses, the casing, threw out film, half the buttons, and the basic understanding of what the art of photography, and indeed who the practitioners of photography should be, simply based on Leica's wildly successful range of Leica light cameras, that they realised they could sell an awful lot more of, if only they shifted the entire market by fief?

the point is Leica would have been in no position to pull off that kind of ludicrous insanity - photography professionals would have been protected against that insanity by a true craft professional market of competitive machined objects - but we're in software now, and we only had premiere and avid left as bulwark, the flatbeds are gone - and that was not enough to stop apple's insane, world anew posturing.

I'm still ranty.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:56:01 am

[Richard Clark] "The same thing happened when Leica went Digital"

Not exactly, Leica didn't abandon exposure controls and the shutter release... They didn't say our camera is going to automatically frame your picture and set exposure because we knew your creative intent before you ever bought the camera...

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:32:17 am

Import

Can I import projects from Final Cut Pro 7 into Final Cut Pro X?

Final Cut Pro X includes an all-new project architecture structured around a trackless timeline and connected clips. In addition, Final Cut Pro X features new and redesigned audio effects, video effects, and color grading tools. Because of these changes, there is no way to “translate” or bring in old projects without changing or losing data. But if you’re already working with Final Cut Pro 7, you can continue to do so after installing Final Cut Pro X, and Final Cut Pro 7 will work with Mac OS X Lion. You can also import your media files from previous versions into Final Cut Pro X.

----------
I stopped reading after this part. What was the rest of it about?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:07:04 am

I should also say - my point about skills attainment came off incredibly high and mighty - "I dont know about you" schtick - so - here I am, as a tit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3421180/me.jpg

I'm the moron at the right, making a weird prince Charles hand move, I'm the one who *barely* got a 2.1. (thats a low B)

I just sort of believe that apple are making weirdly reductive points about everything chance makes to construct an editor, it feels like they are grimacing very hard with every sinew of their being and attempting to produce truth for everyone simultaneously across the world, like season three end of lost when the sky shimmered ---
when... they don't actually have to? There has to be a way for apple to envision this software - staged complexity, while ungainly, is not unheard of. something - god anything -

look - apple realistically cannot hope to hit two cultural points five hundred yards apart with a single intellectual gun. The craftsmanship of the bullet - that is not in question, but the exercise is, one might scream endlessly, lunacy.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:38:23 am

'Oh sigh my little heart, we are at a wake, on a forum, with no booze.'

That's one of the best lines I've ever read on this forum. Glad you're still ranty, It fair warms my heart.

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:51:06 pm

ah cheers bud. it was from the heart and all. this does feel a little like an apple wake.

http://WWWD? and the third word is woz.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]