FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Whaddya wanna see at (or hear about from) NAB?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
OT: Whaddya wanna see at (or hear about from) NAB?
on Mar 16, 2015 at 6:41:30 pm

I'll assume that nobody is looking for tracks from FCPX. LOL

Otherwise, what's on your radar as worth paying attention to? That you're curious about?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: OT: Whaddya wanna see at (or hear about from) NAB?
on Mar 16, 2015 at 6:48:40 pm

4K cameras! Always looking for the latest, greatest gear. Gimbles, drones, lighting, Resolve update?

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 16, 2015 at 6:56:39 pm

Panasonic GH5. Better yet, a full frame version of a GH4 with the same awesome data rates and perhaps raw video.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 16, 2015 at 7:01:52 pm

I need, need, need, a simple, cheap solution for doing automated transcription and closed-captioning and open-captioning to HD broadcast signals from within FCPx.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 16, 2015 at 8:12:03 pm

An "Ursa Minor" from Blackmagic that's under 5 lbs and under $5k and shoots cDNG and ProRes 4444 XQ in 4K.
Otherwise a 3 axis gimbal along the lines of the Filmpower Nebula 4000 for DSLRs and easier to balance.

Separate from NAB but most helpful would be an FCPX update that supports cDNG directly as well as XAVC-L.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 16, 2015 at 8:13:57 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 17, 2015 at 2:45:21 am

Here is my list:

Some type of announcement on the Mac OS X version of Fusion
More affordable storage
BMD has an alternative to both PS and AE
Better performance in the Edit Page in Resolve, would be nice to have another NLE option
An update as to what Apple has planned for FCP X and Motion
Motion be more competitive

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:16:08 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:17:56 pm

Fingers crossed for a number of things. I suspect "everyone" will be rolling out their new and improved 4K cameras... but I'm hoping against hope that a number of them will be 4:2:2, 10bit or better, with Cinema DNG, Cineform or DNxHR recording options. Focus on higher DR would also be welcome. I would also love to see an updated AF-X camera from Panasonic; basically a PX270 body with a GH4 sensor and interchangeable lenses... something that shoots in AVC-Ultra for under 3k. On the post side, I would like to see Resolve support Cineform Raw. Those are my biggest wish list items, I'm curious to see what Adobe will be rolling out this year... will it be features or performance gains, same with Maxon, the Foundry and other 3D software vendors. I'm planning to refresh my computer hardware next year... will I need more CPU cores, or more GPU cores... I'm really curious to know. I also have a passing interest in LED lighting. I like the idea of smaller, brighter more flexible lighting packages, but I haven't been impressed by the quality or color of these lights yet. Let's see what happens. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 17, 2015 at 12:02:44 am

An update to the BM4k camera for cDNG. I would dearly love at least 48fps but not holding out much hope.

Resolve with some form of dynamic linking to Fusion. That would solve the AE/PS replacement request. Improvements to Resolve edit timeline performance and much better performance from OpenFX plugin architecture so they can be close to real time at least or render fast.

Resolve support for the new Titan2 NVIDIA cards.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Mar 17, 2015 at 3:00:39 am
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Mar 17, 2015 at 3:08:18 am

the death of adobe cc (only) or any other product that will do the cc job without the cc.

maybe a windows version of fcpx and motion. ressurection of liquid or maybe edit.

i dont know, just have a great time and fill us in.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:27:20 am

Fusion tightly integrated with Resolve (keeping the two separate) would be a start.

Nothing in this forum is off topic.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 17, 2015 at 12:22:40 am

Racing quadcopters with 8K RED cameras attached racing through South Hall.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:26:43 am

An end to brand fetishism. Is that asking too much? OK, world peace then.

Anything really new and original that moves its field a quantum jump forward.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Mar 17, 2015 at 1:29:59 pm

If I could afford the plane ticket, hotel, unforgiving looks from my wife and the time (which I dearly wish I could), I would be checking out the Red booth to see what the new Weapon is going to look like, checkout if there is a shared thunderbolt RAID solution is coming, see if anything could be found out about an upcoming update to the Mac Pro, stopping by at the FCPXworks stand, having a look at the new arri, going for a cigar and a rum and coke at the Rhumbar at the Mirage, and having a huge steak at Prime.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 17, 2015 at 7:18:57 pm

I'm hoping for a good super 35-ish sensor 4k camera under $5k. I'm also hoping we might see some cheaper external 4k recorders - maybe getting down to around $1,500 or so.

I'm also expecting there will be a cool bidget 4k camera that leaves the GH4 for dead because I just bought three of them for a project.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:25:04 am

Been eyeing the Digital Bolex, interesting looking camera. Would like, I mean, love to see a more affordable Red or Arri camera. Better yet, want to see film be brought back into existence. Digital seems too sterile, too distant. Something about film dirt, dust and scratches make a feature seem more alive.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:24:35 pm

SuperMeet is top of my list.
RED Booth second and of course the WEAPON.
Need to check out some TimeCode Slate options.
And audio gear for my RED package.
Lastly to meet most of you folks ;)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 19, 2015 at 12:25:30 am

1) while I will not be leaving the south lower hall, I hope to hear about countless LENS companies in the center making micro four thirds lenses for the Blackmagic Studio Camera. I cannot begin to tell you how popular this camera is becoming.

2) I hope not to pass out in the south Lower hall, as I am becoming old, and I can't take it anymore

3) I never thought that the BACK of the south lower hall would be where the "cool kids" hang out.

4) blackmagic is unstoppable. I am not stupid enough to even attempt to walk into that booth on Monday. Maybe Thursday morning in the Blackmagic booth will be an ok time

5) Sonnet and Highpoint may be the "secret weapons" of the south Lower hall. All the stuff that all of us need, but don't want to think about.

6) if I start to get angry, and I see bikini girls in a booth, I may go up to the owner of that booth and say "really - are you kidding me". Let's see if they can throw me out.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:00:42 pm

[Bob Zelin] "4) blackmagic is unstoppable. I am not stupid enough to even attempt to walk into that booth on Monday. Maybe Thursday morning in the Blackmagic booth will be an ok time"

Yeah, those folks keep making their cameras better with every firmware release. Just today, we got lossless compressed raw, and more framing guides on the Pocket Cinema Camera and the Cinema Camera... for free! I can't wait to see what they have in store for us next.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:15:07 pm

Well, maybe they could improve their Media Express App,.....

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:26:05 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Yeah, those folks keep making their cameras better with every firmware release. Just today, we got lossless compressed raw, and more framing guides on the Pocket Cinema Camera and the Cinema Camera... for free! I can't wait to see what they have in store for us next."

I am so so so hoping for an "Ursa Minor." They may be the company of "late delivery" but they've also shown long term commitment to their cameras with free firmware upgrades.

I know many are hoping for "version 2" hardware improvements which may well happen but they are a forward thinking company. Almost Apple like. So I don't doubt a new camera surprise or two.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:43:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I am so so so hoping for an "Ursa Minor.""

Yup, you and me both! :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 19, 2015 at 9:05:03 pm

Going to update the firmware today, love the frequent update cycle. Wisht that Apple would release X 10.1.5, forgot when the last update was.

Looking forward to see what the BMD team has in store for Fusion and Resolve. Really hoping that Resolve will be another NLE option. The roundtripping with Cinema DNG raw is a bit of a pain in the caboose. Would edit and grade there, then off to X for finishing. Oh well, that is how the ball bounces.

Of other interest is that Digital Bolex camera. Thing looks, well, awesome. Price perhaps a bit high but the wow factor, is cool. Tim, any chance of a forum for that?

One last thing would be some FCP X stuff from RDT, which would be nice.

Looking forward to reports from Mr. Wilson and others. Until then . . .

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:23:56 pm

Affordable, fast, vast storage. And Penn & Teller.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 20, 2015 at 2:05:24 am

I'm on board with the Ursa Minor concept as well.
Just upgraded (again) two BM cameras and they've now proven that they can develop innovative products and follow through on promises beyond what many/most of us expected even a year ago.

I like these guys, and how they interact with their customers. And their cameras can produce remarkable images for nearly silly prices. I was a Canon guy for years (still have my share), and owned and produced with them, Panasonic and Sony cams in the last year, but I'm exclusively BM now.

If not an Ursa Minor I'd be happy with 60fps, a grown up screen, internal IR and OLPF and if anything, expanded DR more than 4k on a next gen BMCC and Pocket

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:31:22 am

Would also like to see BMD make a real film camera. Would love to see film make a huge comeback. It feels more engaging, digital seems sterile. Just my two cents.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:08:19 pm

I thank BMD for their late delivery on the Cinema 2.5K back in 2012.
I had two ordered then cancelled when the RED Scarlet BT was announced ;)
Now for me, a decent clear working 4K display system from the UltraStudio 4k without having to arm wrestle cables and converters :P

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:50:59 pm

Eric, you have just crystallised my experience with Blackmagic so far, aside from hellish experience with audio quality in DaVinci.

If there is a good monitoring system from Ultrastudio 4K I will be made up.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 20, 2015 at 2:06:02 pm

Tom currently dealing with Tech Support on this matter.
With our RED ROCKET, we cant seem to play nice with the UltraStudio4K.
We are trying to use a Sony X830B LED 4K Display via HDMI but it just wont play nice with the ROCKET.
Both RED and BMD are sending me emails at a 24hr pace :P
Finally talked to BMD (phone) on this and so far in theory it should work.
The also suggested getting a HD-SDI to HDMI 4K converter straight out of the ROCKET SDI to the display.

Sorry for the long reply, cant seem to find a private message option to Tom.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Mar 20, 2015 at 8:38:08 pm

With redcine x and a new Mac pro with d700s, if I enable video output to ultrastudio 4k and a hdmi connected 4k monitor, performance slows to a snails pace. Unusable.

Davinci screwed up a huge project with audio issues, but for the most part our cinema camera has been a wonderful product. Just arrived 5 months late!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:37:06 pm

Have the sensors problems w/the Blackmagic cameras gone away?

For the past 7 or 8 years I've had a love/hate relationship with BM hardware. The specs and the price (especially the price) of their I/O devices pull me in but they always turn out to be flakey and I usually end up wishing I had gone with AJA instead.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:38:22 pm

The BMPCC "white orb" issue was fixed with a firmware update.
The BMCC, BMP4K, URSA "black sun" issue are apparently hardware sensor related and can't really be fixed. I've heard some other manufacturer's cameras do exhibit this as well but less pronounced.

I wouldn't be surprised that one move we may see at NAB is a change in sensor if there is a v2 of the BMCC and BMP4K (URSA has a replaceable sensor by design). Due keep in mind the value of recording in cDNG (raw) and ProRes at these price points though. Their entire lineup is certainly being used professionally as B and C cameras.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 20, 2015 at 5:14:30 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The BMPCC "white orb" issue was fixed with a firmware update.
The BMCC, BMP4K, URSA "black sun" issue are apparently hardware sensor related and can't really be fixed. I've heard some other manufacturer's cameras do exhibit this as well but less pronounced."

What about the fixed pattern noise? I heard a firmware update last summer made it less bad but cameras aren't my main thing so I'm not always up on the latest and greatest.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:00:45 pm

I believe the FPN issue was improved a few firmware releases back. It was never a big issue on the Pocket but was pretty bad on the Cinema camera I believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]