FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe collaborates with Avid

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert d'Alexis
Adobe collaborates with Avid
on Mar 10, 2015 at 10:49:22 pm

What 's your take on this?
http://videoediting.digitalmedianet.com/article/Avid-and-Adobe-Collaborate-...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Adobe collaborates with Avid
on Mar 10, 2015 at 11:03:33 pm

Press release is kinda vague. IIRC you could run the old FCP on ISIS too but it basically just functioned like any other shared storage. I wonder, other than compatibility, what you get by going ISIS over other shared storage for Adobe.

Being able to play Avid media and read AAFs from Avid certainly makes it easier to hop between the two programs than between Avid and the old FCP.

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Mar 11, 2015 at 2:22:35 am

So Andrew, you don't think we should read too much into it, do you?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2015 at 3:38:50 am

I don't see it as that big of a deal either. ISIS's strong point when it comes to Avid is that you can share the same project file. You can't do that with FCP 7, nor Adobe Premiere...because of how the apps are. Avid has separate folders for all the bins, Adobe projects are all in one file. So unless they figured out a way to share project files, it's nothing more than a shared server to store media.

Unless they figured out project sharing...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 11, 2015 at 4:31:36 am

[Robert d'Alexis] "So Andrew, you don't think we should read too much into it, do you?"

Yeah, I would not read anything into it. I think it's basically just Avid trying to make ISIS a bit more versatile.

[Shane Ross] "Unless they figured out project sharing..."

I doubt there is Avid style project sharing, but the press release said PPro can use Avid media so that's already a step up from FCP 7 on ISIS.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2015 at 5:39:42 am

Well, of course it can use Avid media. The main drawback is that if you import the MXF files...you'll need to make sync clips. The audio and video come in separate. Unless the latest update addressed that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 11, 2015 at 3:50:00 pm

The big difference here is that Avid and Adobe engineers have been working together directly to optimize the storage and Premiere to perform as well as with Media Composer.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Dom Silverio
on Mar 13, 2015 at 7:59:28 pm

History...
ISIS is obviously well optimized with MC, achieving the best server-to-client bandwidth and overall server bandwidth. With other editing systems the performance was/is not as great. Often you had to seperate your virtual drives ("workspace" in Avid lingo) in order to maximize performance.

One of the root issue was the way other editing systems request data. They are inconsistent in packet size.

Supposedly, Avid requested from Adobe engineers to modify Premiere so it can achieve the same performance as MC with ISIS.

There is no Unity/ISIS project sharing with Premiere. Adobe Anywhere is the only known solution for that.

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Mar 13, 2015 at 8:33:52 pm

Thanks for the clarification. That "suspicious" collaboration makes sense now, at least to me. :-)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 14, 2015 at 7:04:47 am

FWIW, ISIS supports FCP X , Resolve, and Smoke as well... From the product site..

"it now supports 4K and Ultra HD collaborative workflows; more third-party applications, including Premiere Pro, Smoke, Final Cut Pro X, and DaVinci Resolve"

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Mar 14, 2015 at 4:43:07 pm

[Charlie Austin] "FWIW, ISIS supports FCP X , Resolve, and Smoke as well..."

Thanks Charlie, that's good to know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>