FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Watch

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImothy Auld
Apple Watch
on Mar 9, 2015 at 11:43:03 pm

Anybody out there who is going to buy this? Anybody?

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Apple Watch
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:10:08 am

Interesting but not a compelling utility. Perhaps I'll think differently at a later date.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:11:42 am

9 to 5 Mac showing just over 63% with just over 3700 voting.
http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/09/mega-poll-are-you-buying-an-apple-watch-which...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:31:08 am

FOR THE RECORD, I said repeatedly that this is a real product, with a real audience, and Apple has been missing out on its share of a $20 billion market -- before Apple gets in and makes it a much bigger market.

People have been buying these for YEARS (they were introduced in 2011, and have been a meaningfully-sized product line for other people since 2013), but as usual, if Apple doesn't do it, it doesn't exist. When Apple does it, it's a must-have.

Just not for most of you.

Yet. :-)

I'm jumping up and down about this because of how rarely I'm right. LOL And not that I'm the only one right about this. For example, Tim Cook is right about this. So take it from your ol' buddies Tim, there's a major new sector that Apple's about to dominate, and another new vector of rewriting the rules of engagement -- since, after all, Apple is in the engagement business. Buckle up.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:36:27 am

I don't think I'll go for the $17,000 gold model but the $349 Sport one is definitely interesting to me as a gadget, phone supplement and fitness band. (And I'm guessing I'm not alone in that interest but we'll see...)

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:50:18 am

All those health and fitness features. It seems like it would be wearing guilt on a wrist. ;)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:57:58 am

[Noah Kadner] "I don't think I'll go for the $17,000 gold model but the $349 Sport one is definitely interesting to me as a gadget, phone supplement and fitness band. (And I'm guessing I'm not alone in that interest but we'll see...)"

The fitness aspect of it interests me too, but currently the battery life is way too short for me.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 13, 2015 at 6:43:05 am

[Andrew Kimery] "The fitness aspect of it interests me too, but currently the battery life is way too short for me.
"

Agreed. I use fitness monitoring stuff like crazy, and I'm looking forward to potentially/eventually adding the Apple Watch to my pile of toys. In addition to the wahoo heart monitor I use with my phone, I've been using Fitbit for a few years. Right now, I've got the Fitbit Surge, which does all of the health stuff the Apple watch does, plus a few of the luxury things like haptic alarms for phone calls and iTunes volume control. The screen is pretty basic, but the watch has a 7 day battery life.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:38:18 am

I will most definitely be purchasing the + $1000 iteration. Apple is speaking directly to me here. Just like the G4 Cube.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:16:31 pm

$349/$399 is a good deal for a product like this especially if you compare it to the competition. But I still question the validity of selling gold versions et al that will be dinosaurs in a couple years. People don't generally buy high end jewelry and expect it to lose value. My only theory is that selling a few of the gold ones is an attempt to position the $349 model as an affordable way to buy a little piece of what is essentially the same as the $15000 model. Kinda like if Ferrari sold a $100k car that was gold with gold wheels and trim, but you could buy essentially the same car for $20k if you were willing to settle for white or black and basic chrome trim and wheels.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:42:49 am

If it includes iMovie, then yes. What can be more fun than editing on a watch? ;-)

Serious side, interested in purchasing one but gold plate model is out of reach.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:52:06 am

I'm waiting for the wall clock...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 10, 2015 at 2:00:00 am

Can you edit with FCX on it? If not...what's the point?

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:12:14 am

[Shane Ross] "Can you edit with FCX on it?"

Duh... of course you can. The taptic engine ticks out the frame rate for you as well... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:00:51 am

[TImothy Auld] "Anybody out there who is going to buy this? Anybody?"

I'm waiting for the tricorder version.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:36:01 pm

The pris is a bit unsettling. It's more expensive than an iPad for crying out loud. People complain that the iphone is a "premium product for a premium crowd", well a huge difference there is a think very few buy a 500-700 dollar phone, they buy it with a two year contract which makes any higher end device cost virtually the same and you can motivate that purchase easily.

The Watch… A very hard sell for me. It requires you to charge it every day, the functionally you get compared to your phone for 2X the cost is very slim. I could see the "fancy features" like Apple Pay with the watch being nice but that's convenience a handful times a day tops. And it shows me the time, if I remember to charge the thing every day.

At say $99, $149 or $199 it's a steal. At $349 I for one really think about if it's something I need. I don't know if I do. Not now at least. If it where to interface with my everyday life more, maybe, but at the moment it's just an iPhone extension really. For a very high cost.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:03:58 pm

In waiting for someone to have three of them on his arm with an app controlling Davinci Resolve color wheels.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:22:43 pm

I see I'm too late to make the editing-on-your-wrist joke... But it probably can do alerts about renders completing today.

How does this thing recharge? I rarely take off my cheap Casio knockoff, except to bathe and swim, I sleep with it on my wrist, feel naked without it. Adding a new daily watch maintenance ritual to my life is not something I would want to do. These things should charge wirelessly from a bedside charge unit with a 5-foot range.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 10, 2015 at 2:09:11 pm

Oh the effort of it, having to charge your watch EVERY NIGHT, it's going to be a DISASTER I tell you.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:41:04 pm

[Steve Connor] "Oh the effort of it, having to charge your watch EVERY NIGHT, it's going to be a DISASTER I tell you."

The moment you wake up in your hotel on your business trip and realize you don't have your watch charging device.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:59:43 pm

[Steve Connor] "Oh the effort of it, having to charge your watch EVERY NIGHT, it's going to be a DISASTER I tell you."

I think real world usage is going to be a twice a day charge for many people (especially after a couple years and the battery is no longer working at max capacity).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:33:57 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:34:53 pm

The disaster is waking up and losing the watch or forgetting to put it on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]