FORUMS: list search recent posts

New 12" MacBook sans Thunderbolt

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
New 12" MacBook sans Thunderbolt
on Mar 9, 2015 at 9:24:21 pm

New 12" MacBook sans Thunderbolt.

Just an observation that this is the first Mac in a long time without a Thunderbolt port. While there will be USB3 to USB-D adaptors, obviously Thunderbolt only drives will be off limits to this critter. So would miniDisplay although HDMI will be possible.

Just a minor side interest is that it lists iPhoto as included so it seems the MacBook will be out the door before the OS X 10.10.3 update which supposedly includes the new Photo app.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: New 12" MacBook sans Thunderbolt
on Mar 9, 2015 at 9:43:47 pm

Looks pretty cool to me but definitely not an editing machine. The USB C port supports 10Gbps so twice as fast as USB 3 so in theory a raid could be attached but I doubt that would happen when the MacBook Pro is far more powerful etc.

I'd love to be at the coffee house banging out my next screenplay on a gold one...

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 9, 2015 at 9:51:13 pm

Yep I'm guessing its the GPU that will be much more limiting than the adapters required to attach hard drives. This looks like a killer email/photo/iWork ultra portable productivity Mac but not something intended for heavy FCPX usage.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 9, 2015 at 10:03:36 pm

Although even the 11" MacBook Air has a Thunderbolt port and that's not really an "editing" computer.

The hangup wouldn't be so much editing but anything that's on a Thunderbolt only drive.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 9, 2015 at 10:49:33 pm

Intel Core M processor puts it more in the tablet/keyboard hybrid class than the laptop class. Good article on Gizmodo explains: http://gizmodo.com/the-new-macbook-isnt-what-you-think-1690390617

Also of note from the article's comments:

New MacBook:

2lbs
13.1 mm thick
Intel Core M processor
LED lit keyboard
2304 x 1440 screen
9-hour battery life web browsing
Starts at $1,299
Surface Pro 3

1.76 lbs
9.1 mm thick
Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 processors
optional LED lit keyboard
2160 x 1440 touchscreen
9-hour battery life web browsing
Starts at $799

USB C is a welcome addition, but would have preferred a mag-safe version or a separate mag-safe power port. Can't tell you how many times mag-safe has saved my laptop from the floor. Losing it is a step backwards.

I'll probably recommend this to a lot of people but I won't be buying it.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 9, 2015 at 11:43:47 pm

This appears to me to go after the Microsoft Surface space in the computing ecosystem more effectively than iPad can, imo. Not at all a bad thing of course.

There will be a lot of people who are looking for something smaller than a laptop, attracted to looking at Surface as a laptop replacement, go to Staples, Walmart, Best Buy, etc., try one and think, "Uhm, that ain't either a laptop replacement," then naturally turn to the similarly priced and sized entry from Apple that is, in fact, a laptop. Smart move.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:55:16 am

[Tim Wilson] "There will be a lot of people who are looking for something smaller than a laptop, attracted to looking at Surface as a laptop replacement, go to Staples, Walmart, Best Buy, etc., try one and think, "Uhm, that ain't either a laptop replacement," then naturally turn to the similarly priced and sized entry from Apple that is, in fact, a laptop. Smart move."

Tim, why do you think the Surface is not a viable laptop replacement?

(Posted from my Surface Pro 3.)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:49:41 am

[Walter Soyka] "(Posted from my Surface Pro 3.)"

Do you really have a Surface 3? LOL That's awesome. I want one so bad I can taste it. I have in fact tasted one. It tasted kind of...purple. They nearly made me buy it.

Look, I'm an extreme case, but I live on my laptop. I need a bigger keyboard, I need more RAM, and I like a big screen. Fifteen inches hits my sweet spot...but I also LOVE a touch screen, so any Mac laptop is immediately out. Including this new one.

That said, I have an iPad, and I think anyone who says THAT's a laptop replacement is on crack. What I meant to say is, "Your mileage may vary." I do think a Surface is (or appears to be) vastly superior, and much closer to the mark.

But I've tried smaller things. Not just the iPad, but a Kindle (which I much prefer), a Chromebook (fun, but impractical imo), and a 13-inch laptop, and whenever I use one for long, I'm sorry I didn't just grab my 15-incher. If I want a device, I go for my Note.

(I can't count the number of Mac people who scoffed at my ridiculous huge phone with 1920x1080 resolution, then immediately got an iPhone of roughly the same size and resolution as soon as it was humanly possible, then BRAGGED to me that they have an awesome new big phone. Yes, I know you like it. I've been telling you for two years that you would.)

So, my summary of Surface based solely on clicking around on it in the store, then licking it: I can live with the screen size, but too little RAM and keyboard that feels to small seeeeeem to be deal breaker.

I'd still love to hear how you're using your Surface and how you feel about it.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 12, 2015 at 12:43:15 pm

The more interesting thing about this is the tea leaves of USB C for higher end laptops, iMacs and Mac Pros. Personally, I think USB C spells the death of thunderbolt and lightning connectors. I don't think I'm sad to see either go. Thunderbolt has been a fail in a lot of ways. I find the lightning connections finicky, a cord will work on one phone but not another. And why have multiple styles of connections when you can use one?

Yes, thunderbolt is faster but I'd imagine the next generation of USB C would surpass it. Probably the next version of Mac Pros will have both USB C and thunderbolt. Then the generation after might drop thunderbolt completely.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:20:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The hangup wouldn't be so much editing but anything that's on a Thunderbolt only drive."

I think we will be awash in hubs in the next few months that will allow you to connect more things than you want. This connector is an industry standard and the next generation tech...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:16:02 pm

[Mitch Ives] "I think we will be awash in hubs in the next few months"

Yup, one more thing one needs to bring and may forget at some point.
The convenience of laptops offset by a boatload of attachments to make everything compatible.
So in addition to the Thunderbolt dock to connect Firewire, eSata, Ethernet one will also need USB-C dock to connect the same stuff to another laptop.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:33:17 pm

LaCie announces an upcoming USB-C drive.
So add one more adaptor I'd need to get that into non MacBooks although they will graciously include a USB-C to USB3 USB2 adaptor.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 12, 2015 at 6:40:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Yup, one more thing one needs to bring and may forget at some point.
The convenience of laptops offset by a boatload of attachments to make everything compatible.
So in addition to the Thunderbolt dock to connect Firewire, eSata, Ethernet one will also need USB-C dock to connect the same stuff to another laptop."

Apple is certainly shifting gears, I mean the MacBook promo photos are literally pivoting around themselves like Tim Cook took the MacBook football and spun it on it's tip in the end zone. They went from a fairly simple product line, to many different options within their own product lines, and it is admittedly confusing for customers, especially when that customer is me. I do think the MacBook vs MacBook Pro lines now make sense. The MacBook Air and MacBook lines don't seem to be make much sense any more.

Hopefully, Thunderbolt isn't going away very fast or very soon. I really like it and has been a massive productivity simplifier for us.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 12, 2015 at 9:41:50 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Hopefully, Thunderbolt isn't going away very fast or very soon. I really like it and has been a massive productivity simplifier for us."

By reaching for simplicity of the product they've now added to the complexity of adaptors.

Firewire, esata, USB, Ethernet all had methods to get into a Thunderbolt connector.
I fear that there will be no way to get Thunderbolt into USB-C
Firewire to Thunderbolt still works.
Thunderbotl to USB-C doesn't (and may not ever) exist. Lots of legacy devices and no way to connect them.

[Jeremy Garchow] "The MacBook Air and MacBook lines don't seem to be make much sense any more."
But I can still connect almost anything to an Air. I can even carry a single Dock with a bunch of ins and outs to cover unanticipated combinations.

I doubt a Dock with TB to USB-C is possible.

The MacBook sort of sits in the strange place. Sort of a hybrid Tabled with USB-C and Keyboard running OS X.

The one thing able had more or less was that anything that could hook up to your highest end Mac could also hook up to your lowest end Mac. That's no more.

In some sense this seems almost (i said almost) as radical as Apple's move from Nubus to PCI.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 12, 2015 at 11:20:30 pm

[Craig Seeman] "By reaching for simplicity of the product they've now added to the complexity of adaptors."

Wasn't this the main critique of the New Mac Pro? ;) That said, I like the NMP, I like Thunderbolt, and at least they give you more than one port.

A one port MacBook is a pretty radical experiment, but I hope Jeremy's right and it's simply a sharpening of the dividing line between "Pro" and "consumer".

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:30:01 pm

Well, this is a pretty good visual of the MacBook logic board.

Kind of amazing, really.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/new-macbook-smaller-than-raspberry-p...

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:06:56 am

And so what is?

Tim

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 10, 2015 at 1:27:51 pm

You can get most of the effect of a real touch screen by adding the LEAP 3D interface. Looks like a little box the size of a cigarette case, maybe. Set it under or above any screen, blammo, 3-d "touch" interface.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Future of Thunderbolt and Lightning.
on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:01:47 pm

9to5 Mac has an interesting article speculating about both Thunderbolt and Lightning.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/10/usb-c-cable-gallery-compare-to-lightning-and-...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 12, 2015 at 5:51:19 am

Here's an interview with an Apple engineer about the design of the new MacBook:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Lawrence