FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I wait for FCP X??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Siu Kei Ip
Should I wait for FCP X??
on Apr 21, 2011 at 2:51:40 pm

I've decided to learn FCP. I'd like to buy a 15' macbook pro. However, I heard that FCP X will be released in June. So, should I wait for the release to see if there any special tech requirements for FCP X?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Should I wait for FCP X??
on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:45:43 pm

Yes.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 21, 2011 at 4:14:46 pm

If you need to edit now, get the current FCP now. If you can afford to wait, wait. Frankly I think the bulk of FCP 7 skills will be transferrable to FCP-x. I don't think it has killed 3-point editing. But I understand people that prefer to approach it "fresh", without contradictory lessons confusing them.

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 21, 2011 at 4:42:22 pm

Should I still get the macbook pro at the first place?
All will it be upgraded too?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:09:50 pm

Sui,
"I've decided to learn FCP. I'd like to buy a 15' macbook pro. However, I heard that FCP X will be released in June. So, should I wait for the release to see if there any special tech requirements for FCP X?"

Should I wait:
Now FCP 7 aka FCS3-$999 usd
Now iMovie-$14.99 usd
June '11 FCX-$299 usd target price
August '11 Lightworks for Mac-$free-open source*

*free open source currently in beta. If you are not tied to staying with Mac Lightworks for PC is available now.

If it were me, and I had no experience with FCP, I would go with Lightworks and see how much I like to edit before I commit to spending money on software. A second option would be to just go with iMove for 15 dollars. Once you have done all you can with these programs, you can always move up. And who knows, by then maybe Final Cut will cost even less.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:50:32 pm

If you need to edit now, get FCP and get going.

If you can wait till June, just get the MacBook Pro and start playing with iMovie since the new FCP takes its interface cues from that app.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:07:01 am

In answer to the OP's actual question:

The macbook pro's have just been updated so I would be extremely surprised (and annoyed, as I've just bought one) if FCPX will only run on a 10-second-old macbook pro with the new Quantum Stargate (TM) drive.

So yes, no problem getting one now.

Playing around with imovie 11 is good advice.

Return to posts index

Sergey Sergeevich
on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:10:17 am

Guys, could you please explain to me the situation? FCP-X for $299 - it is an update for FCP only, not for the whole FCS package, right? So... What about another apps? No FCS update? And, maybe anybody know, why Apple doing so - major update only for FCP but not for the whole FCS?
Thank you. Sorry for my English, it is not really good.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:40:38 pm

Hi Sergey
It would really be better if you start a new thread. But to try to answer your question. You should consider FCP X as an ALL NEW application designed to replace the existing FCP only, it is NOT intended as a single app upgrade to the entire FCS suite . FCP X will be available to buy for the full price of 299 USD in June. There has not been any announcements regarding new versions of, or updates to, any other applications in the Final Cut Studio suite. This does not mean that announcements of new versions or updates to those apps will not come in due course. But anyone here who knows about this cannot tell you, and those who do tell you are only guessing. For official news you have to wait ... only Apple knows the plan for sure and they are not yet telling us yet.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 23, 2011 at 1:03:44 pm

I think breaking the suite apart isn't such a bad thing... no longer is Apple forced to update EVERY app at the same time. Cocoa code is easier to write and the apps written in it will likely mature faster because of this. 299 for FCP X? It's about the same price it's been since the suite was put together if you think about it, and it's not forcing you to buy Color, STP, DVD SP and Motion at the same time.

Remember the new features of FCS 2009? Most of them were in Motion because I suspect that it was much easier for the team to add features to, it is written in Cocoa, like FCP X is.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:44:05 pm

[Sergey Sergeevich] "Guys, could you please explain to me the situation? FCP-X for $299 - it is an update for FCP only, not for the whole FCS package, right? So... What about another apps? No FCS update? And, maybe anybody know, why Apple doing so - major update only for FCP but not for the whole FCS?"

Apple has not yet announced what's happening with the other apps. If you look at the iWork and iLife suites, you'll see that when moving those to the App Store, Apple unbundled them and is just selling the apps a la carte. I suspect they'll move to the same model with the Final Cut Studio apps, which would create additional flexibility both for Apple in terms of update schedules (they wouldn't have to synchronize releases across all the apps) and for users (they'd only have to buy the apps they needed).

There has been a lot of speculation about Apple killing off some other Final Cut Studio apps, but when you get right down to it there was nothing specific related to the announcement of FCP X that seems to provide any information one way or the other about that.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:47:40 pm

Can't get the quote button to work in my darn fire fox browser.

Chris Kenny wrote:
There has been a lot of speculation about Apple killing off some other Final Cut Studio apps,
-----

That scares me. As a past Discreet *Edit editor any time I hear of companies dropping support for programs that have become loved just irritates me to no end. Talk to any editor that worked with *Edit. That program was magic. And now so may Apple programs I've come to love are also "magic."

"Video Guys" are a sponsor for COW aren't they? I read on their site that FCPX might be a step down from FCP7?

And 299 for the whole program? Is that cheap? I work with FCP7 now but I don't handle the books in the office, all this stuff is purchased for me. Was FCP7 by itself around that price?

Man I hope they don't kill off Color. And if they do I hope we can still integrate Color with FCPX.

Balls of stress begin to form as I grit my teeth reading this stuff. What can I say, I'm a doomsdayer :)

BUT what I did see at the Keynote in some of the grainy youtube vids, I have to admit it did look pretty awesome. It's the whole comparing it to Imovie is what's giving me that feel of disappointment.

THE SKY IS FALLING!
Vinnie

Message Signature:
I don't have any charming or witty things to put in my signature. So as Peter Griffen says, "That's may mama!"

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:55:44 pm

[Vincent Strader] "That scares me. As a past Discreet *Edit editor any time I hear of companies dropping support for programs that have become loved just irritates me to no end. Talk to any editor that worked with *Edit. That program was magic. And now so may Apple programs I've come to love are also "magic."

"Video Guys" are a sponsor for COW aren't they? I read on their site that FCPX might be a step down from FCP7? "

Frankly, nobody (who's allowed to talk about it) actually knows anything. The current "sky is falling" response to FCP X is mostly just a product of the same mindset that has had some folks to speculate over the last couple of years that Apple would exit the pro video market altogether, which turned out not to be the case.

[Vincent Strader]
And 299 for the whole program? Is that cheap? I work with FCP7 now but I don't handle the books in the office, all this stuff is purchased for me. Was FCP7 by itself around that price?

FCP has in recent years only been available as part of the Final Cut Studio bundle, which is $999. $299 doesn't seem especially out of line for just Final Cut Pro, and you can't really read anything about the hypothetical cancelation of other apps into the fact that Apple has unbundled Final Cut Pro, because Apple also unbundled iLife and iWork when putting their apps in the App Store -- the App Store just doesn't sell bundles.

--

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:07:34 pm

[Chris Kenny] "$299 doesn't seem especially out of line for just Final Cut Pro"

I think people in Production and Post Production should be required to have business certification before commenting on business and marketing rather than the technical and creative aspects of tools. Not directed at you Chris but to all the people who take take into the business aspects.

Maybe I learned from doing all the corporate videos in which marketing people would explain to me why they were doing what they were doing.

Apple no longer needs to master discs, print boxes, warehouse and ship those boxes with discs. They have an enormous cost savings. They can certainly drop the price based on that alone. In addition, major updates no longer have to be locked into longer cycles since at no point will they have to burn new discs.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:11:38 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple no longer needs to master discs, print boxes, warehouse and ship those boxes with discs. They have an enormous cost savings. They can certainly drop the price based on that alone. In addition, major updates no longer have to be locked into longer cycles since at no point will they have to burn new discs."

And don't forget the fact that the lower price will probably allow them to recapture quite a number of sales presently lost to piracy, help them win the ecosystem battle against their competitors, and probably spur prosumer sales that never would have otherwise occurred.

(I hesitate to mention that last point in this forum, because some seem to almost believe there's something wrong with software that has crossover appeal to the consumer market, but I think that's just silly.)

--

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:53:19 pm

[Chris Kenny] "recapture quite a number of sales presently lost to piracy,"

Others have pointed out that too. Given the nature of the App Store and its tie to an iTunes account, it will make piracy a bit more difficult.

[Chris Kenny] "some seem to almost believe there's something wrong with software that has crossover appeal to the consumer market, but I think that's just silly"

Another ecosystem vertical grab by Apple. Brilliant if you thing about it. Today's 10 year old home editor will be quite capable of being the 20 year old working with a decade of familiarity even though just starting at the facility. It'll be the kind of "muscle memory" Avid editors start learning at a much later age. So if you wanted to hire talented young gun staff and freelancers you'd go with what NLE?

People don't seem to get how smart Apple is about this.

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:22:06 pm

Over the responses I've been encouraged not to worry. However one of my lines was misquoted. I did not say 299 was out of line. I said it seemed way too cheap for FCP alone. Which would be a good thing we all would agree, it just made me do a double take.

Message Signature:
I don't have any charming or witty things to put in my signature. So as Peter Griffen says, "That's may mama!"

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:21:01 pm

Then, is iMac series better than 15' macbook pro with FCP??

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:28:40 pm

Currently, no. Through "Thunderbolt" the latest MBP has professional expansion possibilities way beyond anything in the current iMac lineup.
But just as I already noted, you should wait till June. You have nothing to gain by getting hardware now for a venture (learning FCP) that you can't usefully start until June. By that time there may or may not be other or better options.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:59:11 pm

[Siu Kei Ip] "Then, is iMac series better than 15' macbook pro with FCP??"

They are essentially the same computer inside. The iMac gives you a much nicer and larger screen.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:24:08 pm

yep - that's worth thinking about maybe - if you don't mind it not being mobile - 27" is a much much nicer editing experience than 15" - according to the macrumors buying guide, the iMacs are due for a refresh pretty much as we speak - when they are refreshed, they will get thunderbolt - to future proof your investment, thunderbolt would be good to have.. or instead you could just buy a third party monitor for the laptop later - the 24 inch ones are pretty cheap.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:42:37 pm

The reason I am thinking about macbook pro is because it gets quadcore, and mobility.I know 27 inch is better but that imac is out of my budget...........

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:48:18 pm

sure that's fine - the new MBPs are savage anyway - like the guys say, buy one without any worries driving FCPX - they scream, and maybe mess around with iMovie while you're waiting for FCPX to arrive - it's a decent grounder on some parts of FCPX.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:48:59 pm

Yes the MBP is a good choice ... and you can always add a larger display to your home base setup. But don't buy it now just for the sake of buying, if you don't need it immediately then you can safely wait until FCP X is released.

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:47:50 pm

You mean not to buy MBP now??
Actually, I have a PC in my home, if I want, I can use the monitor for extra display

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:49:38 pm

if you've got the money - sure buy it - they've just been refreshed so there's no reason not to. have fun - they're lovely machines.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:43:57 pm

The current MacBook Pros are an essentially brand new model. There certainly won't be new MBPs out by June, so you might as well buy now if you know you want a MacBook Pro. If you'd consider an iMac, you might want to wait until those are updated and take a look at what that update brings as well, though.

--

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 23, 2011 at 1:41:55 am

Hi Siu Kei Ip

Just as Chris, Andreas and others have pointed out, the latest generation MBP is a great machine and essentially a new model and therefore has a "buy now" status.. If you have the money put aside already, sure, go ahead. I am suggesting however that if you do not need (or just desperately want) to buy it right now then waiting can do you no harm and might actually provide you some small if unlikely advantage to do so. There is always the possibility of glitches in Rev A hardware just as there can be issues in Version 1.0 software. If you are not in a hurry then you can happily let others buy the brand new model and help Apple to uncover any potential glitches, and then when you come to buy you may be lucky enough to be picking up Rev B model.

Whatever you choose to do, hope you enjoy the new hardware ... and the new software in June.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:36:20 am

Thx all for the replies

Return to posts index

Gary Rush
on May 13, 2011 at 3:34:05 pm

I hate that FCP X will look like iMovie, the people in school for video editing now will be disappointed.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 13, 2011 at 3:48:36 pm

>I hate that FCP X will look like iMovie, the people in school for video editing now will be disappointed.

Why?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]