FORUMS: list search recent posts

The eternal question: which editing software should I switch to? FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
The eternal question: which editing software should I switch to? FCPX?
on Feb 18, 2015 at 12:43:54 pm

I've been using FCP7 for 5 years. But as I begin this month editing a feature length doc I'll be working on for a couple years, I'm ready to change. The eternal question: which program do you suggest I switch to? The ones I'm considering are Avid, Premiere, and FCPX

I know FCPX is supposed to be really good at tagging clips and adding metadata, something I se as really useful for the way I work. Although that's not necessarily a reason to switch to that.

So, advice on which program to use?

I know this questions has been asked many times - and I'm reading old threads - but I know software gets improvements so the answer of 6 months ago might not be the same now.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: The eternal question: which editing software should I switch to? FCPX?
on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:23:12 pm

They are all good for what you want to do. I would learn towards Avid MC or FCP X, but it's really a subjective choice. You can get a 30-day trial with either. Start there. However, if you are new to MC, make sure you get some tutorials first or get together with someone who knows the app well, so you start on the right path. I say this only because if your main experience has been FCP legacy, then it's a bigger transition to MC than to Premiere. The latter will be the most direct translation to what you know now, but there still seem to be questions about its robustness on large projects over several years. Some folks have had great results and others haven't.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:31:09 pm

Well, I might disagree here. Avid MC is closer to how FCP 7 works than FCX. FCX is vastly different. People who've cut on Avid or FCP for years say how it took them a long time to get comfortable with FCX, with how different it is. BUT, they also say that once they get it...it's a dream! (I cannot comment to that last statement, I don't use FCX). Avid MC is closer to FCP 7...but Premiere Pro is even closer. That transition will almost be flawless.

Which to get? If you are a one man band, and everything is in your court and you don't answer to anyone, then the choice is yours...it's about comfort level. Every one has a 30 day trial, so you can test them out. But I wouldn't suggest starting the project on one, and then moving to the others because you find them better. Going from Avid to Premiere, or FCX to Premiere, or Premiere to Avid...blah blah...isn't simple. Premiere to FCX or vise versa might be easiest...whatver, I'm babbling.

Which NLE does what you want done? Which do you feel more comforable using? That's what you choose...if you are a one man band guy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:36:17 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:42:29 pm

[Shane Ross] "Well, I might disagree here. Avid MC is closer to how FCP 7 works than FCX."

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, as I didn't say FCP 7 and FCP X were that close. My comment about the ease of transition was related to FCP 7 going to Premiere. So I think we are actually in complete agreement ;-)

However, I would add - based on watching a lot of people make the transition - learning MC - even from any another track-based NLE - is not very intuitive. If you jump into either FCP X or Avid MC without preparation and expect to teach yourself, most folks generally find X to be more intuitive to learn, If - and this is a big IF - they get over the initial mental rewiring that's needed.

My real concern is this. If this is a project that will span a few years, which application will be robust enough and go through the least developmental upheavals in order not to create a problem for the editor or the project? I think that's definitely an area where Avid comes out strongest and the others are still an unknown.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 18, 2015 at 7:15:29 pm

[Shane Ross] "(I cannot comment to that last statement, I don't use FCX). "

Oh Shane, the pain of this statement!

You were so gracious when we met at the LACPUG gig where I demo'd X Multicam years ago that given the right circumstances, I'd gladly hop a plane to LA and reveal some of the hidden secrets of the X brother and sisterhood to you with even the tiniest hope to start your conversion.

Are you doing NAB this year? Maybe we can substitute a drink somewhere. Or you can drop by the FCPWorks X showcase at the Renaissance. I may or may not be doing a panel demo there and nothing I like more than good natured hecklers.

I"m buying.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:07:03 pm

This is the exact reason the rental model gets discussed so much. A two year project is $1200 is rental fees, when the project is done, will you need to go back and do something else with it?

Please also note that a frequent contributor here, Tony, is cutting a doc using X, and his keyword tagging system is worth copying.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 18, 2015 at 9:58:36 pm

A two year project in FCP X is a mere $300 add another $50 if Motion is added in the mix. Same cost for a three year project and you have much more control by not having your project file held for ransom when subscription comes to an end. A bit obvious I know. ;-)

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 18, 2015 at 10:28:21 pm

Thanks Richard,

X came out right around the time I was beginning
To cut my doc. My doc is huge in terms of
elements. The organization in X has been wonderful.
What I have really enjoyed about cutting this
in the X timeline are the connected clips.

A doc is kind of like a puzzle. Moving things
Around to see which sections roll into
Each other best. I have really liked picking
up whole sections with a drag and seeing
How a section works farther down the line.

I have updated every time one came out and
I know you r not supposed to do that but I have
Had no problems with it.

I had started my doc in legacy but recut
The little bit I had done in X and have not
Looked back.

It's different and I wish I had watched some
Tutorials first but I just jumped in.

It seemed so simple to me that I didn't think I
Needed it but I could have avoided simple
aggravations at first.

It's almost like the program was designed to
Do docs hahaha that's just me guys
Good luck which ever way you go.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 19, 2015 at 9:43:52 am

Noam,

As others have said, you should check out all three (or more) and put several hours into each one to make the best decision for you. You should also go to each of the products forums on the Cow and ask the same questions to get the positive perspective for each product. Doing otherwise is like going to the Clinton or Bush family homes and asking who should be the next President. ;-)

As to Oliver's perceived question on Premiere for long form I reply with Fincher's "Gone Girl." If you're doing a long form project, the system needs to be adequate. Adobe routinely tests 10-20k clip projects, 24hour timeline, etc. etc. as a standard part of its project, so there are no questions on that front.

If this project is a labor of love and you don't derive income from editing, then some folks have a fair point that a subscription of software may not be as straight forward a proposition for you.

As for ease of transitions, I agree with Shane - all of them will take some adjustment from Legacy to anything else, but Premiere Pro is going to be the most straight forward.

Again, go to the respective forums to get the right perspective on each product, but I will say (as an Adobe employee) that Premiere Pro has demonstrated the most innovation in terms of features and workflow over the last several years. Just look at each releases successive feature notes and the length of the list. I use Wikipedia for a good list on Premiere Pro. Premiere's list is simply much longer - the question is do these features/workflows matter to you or not? To me, that comes back to the central question of which NLE is the MOST right for you.

Good luck with your decision - it should be a fun one whichever way you go!

Cut hard,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 20, 2015 at 8:16:09 pm

I'd definitely disagree with earlier concerns about Premiere's robustness. I just finished cutting a dramatic feature with CC 2014, on a relatively old MacPro system, and it handled everything I threw at it. I think it actually crashed less frequently than FCP7 ever did.

I've cut a lot of docs over the years, and I think one of the most important questions, which hasn't been raised, is what footage formats will you be dealing with? If you'll be dealing with a lot of cameras, in a lot of different formats (as is so often the case with docs), Premiere is a real powerhouse.

And the thing about FCPX's tagging and metadata systems is they're (obviously) entirely 'word' oriented. They're only as good as the work you put into organizing and labelling everything. If that's your work process, fantastic. On the flip side, I tend to be a very visually oriented editor: Thinking up search terms isn't how I find the next shot or that perfect piece of B-Roll. I do it by scanning footage for something that LOOKS right. Both programs have a hover-scrub function, and I find for my own process, THAT'S the real time-saver.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:25:48 am

[Mike Jackson] "And the thing about FCPX's tagging and metadata systems is they're (obviously) entirely 'word' oriented."

Un, not really. To be technically correct, I suppose you could say they're "ascii character" oriented. Which is to say you CAN use words, but it's also quite possible to use numbers, symbols, heck, even emoji's to tag and retrieve ranges in X.

There's been a couple of discussions on other boards, for instance, about folks setting up STAR ratings inside X, and how it's kinda interesting since a search for 3 stars, returns any ranges tagged with 3, 4, or 5 stars.

Plus if the search, rating and retrieval system was JUST text driven, a bit of criticism would certainly be warranted. But that's not the case since X also presents you with filmstrip views of the clip or clips that match any search keyword you enter, giving you instant visual feedback of the actual content you're seeking. So it's kinda hard to say X's system is any less "visual" than it's competition. Quite the opposite, actually.

Again, just trying to be clear for those who don't use it.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]