FORUMS: list search recent posts

Well that was easy..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Well that was easy..
on Feb 12, 2015 at 9:31:30 pm

Client just supplied me with a drive with media and an FCP 7 project on.

So reinstalled FCP 7 in my 17" running Yosemite - all went fine.
Opened up the project in FCP 7, reconnected the media and exported an XML.
Opened up XML in 7toX.
Opened new project in FCP X - and all was there!

Less than 2hrs and that included re installing FCP7, having dinner and putting the kids to bed...

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Well that was easy..
on Feb 12, 2015 at 10:07:18 pm

In that time, you could have made some headway on the project itself...instead of all that "busy work."

;)

(I kid...)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 13, 2015 at 3:44:50 am

That 7toX is pretty slick isn't it?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 13, 2015 at 2:36:31 pm

These posts are nice but most of us having been doing this for over a year now and I think its time to put these to rest.
Mind you I just posted how giddy I was that current Director sent me an FCPX XML and how easy it was to open on my system (shared project).
Stuff we all know should have been dealt with on June 2011 but that's all a faded memory now ;)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 14, 2015 at 12:12:39 am

Over three years. I don't understand your post. The forum is pointless? Or just this thread?

7toX is nice but any edit that's anything more than raw video cuts is kind of useless. Any sort of fx, transforms, transitions, use of solids, text, or anything but universal audio video elements don't come across.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 14, 2015 at 1:16:51 pm

[Bret Williams] "any edit that's anything more than raw video cuts is kind of useless."

Michael -

Was your FCP7 edit just "raw" video cuts? Seems to be a differing of opinions. I have not used the product so therefore curious in case the time comes I need to. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 14, 2015 at 2:39:06 pm

Maybe I came off too harsh. But I don't want people to think you can transport an edit from 7 to X that easily. Sure, if your edit is of the more basic type where it's just video and audio it will come across. But if it's a more complicated edit with color correction, type, keyframing, generators, plugins, etc. then there's just no way for it to transfer. I think the guys at intelligent assistance do all they can but you'd still be redoing quite a lot. But if you need to go between apps, 7toX is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 14, 2015 at 6:43:49 pm

I think the crux is that while the basic EDL structure of a non-FCP X edit (with exceptions) is reasonable to expect for translation, there are obviously areas where the translation just isn't ever going to be one-to-one simple.

Phil and Greg at Intelligent Assistance clearly understand FCP X at a very deep level. And they also understand the types of incoming and outgoing metadata that you can expect from traditional non-magnetic timeline-based NLEs.

So it's fair to hope for the best translation possible - while understanding that no matter how sophisticated the software, there will be incoming and outgoing data that simply won't ever map properly from one environment to the other.

The fact that X to 7 and 7 to X work as well as they do is a testament to how well they've done their homework.

And it's great for giving the average X editor, or the X editor who needs to interface with the non-magnetic world options that can save HUGE amounts of time and effort.

That's enough for me.

It also provides the business foundation for their efforts with Lumberjack and the other tools that can drive massive production efficiencies for large scale production environments. That's where the big money is - those productions where an individual editors yearly billings probably don't equal the craft services line items for a major motion picture.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]