FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serious X Editors needed in LA.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Serious X Editors needed in LA.
on Feb 10, 2015 at 7:35:40 pm

Sam Mestman at FCPWorks in LA just posted on multiple Facebook groups both public and private with urgent needs for highly qualified FCP X editors. If you didn't listen to the naysayers and have real pro experience, they have clients with needs right now. FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Serious X Editors needed in LA.
on Feb 10, 2015 at 9:01:45 pm

I didn't see it on the I Need an Editor FB group (maybe I missed it?). If you can contact Sam I'd suggest telling him to put it there too. Lots of LA based members in that group.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 10, 2015 at 9:20:21 pm

Here's the text of his post with links:

FINAL CUT PRO X EDITORS

Sam Mestman posted in FINAL CUT PRO X EDITORS
Sam Mestman
February 10 at 10:19am

Hey guys,
It’s official… the industry is starting to shift and open their eyes to X and the biggest problem producers/employers are facing when they look at FCPX is talent pool.
If you’re in LA, and you know FCPX backwards and forwards, I want to talk to you. Please drop me an email at sam@fcpworks.com, and maybe include a list of the types of jobs you’d be looking for, and what your strong suits as an editor are.
Please be specific… I’m looking to place people and find people gigs. Placing you at the wrong place is a lose-lose for both of us. Also, I’m only looking for people who really know the app and workflow inside and out and have worked previously in some kind of professional editing environment (doesn’t have to have been using X).
My perfect world scenario is former FCP7 freelance editors who have fully made the switch and love X now and don’t want to go back.
Anyway, look forward to hearing from you guys! http://www.fcpworks.com
FCPWORKS - FCPWORKS
http://www.fcpworks.com
FCPWORKS is a hardware and software integrator of Final Cut Pro X based professional video solutions...

This message was sent to davisbill@mac.com.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 10, 2015 at 9:26:49 pm

Ah, so Sam is trying to build a roster of sorts of X editors in LA.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 10, 2015 at 10:32:06 pm

With reason. Focus is about to open. Mike M's book is nearly ready. And Sam and Noah seem to be really busy. I believe they were in London recently for one client, they just installed X in another high profile long time TV operation in LA and based on the efficiencies their current clients are reporting, others want in. As noted, their largest problem isn't clients, it's quilified X editors to fill jobs. Generally, under supply and over demand is good for wages, no?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 10, 2015 at 11:17:59 pm

[Bill Davis] "As noted, their largest problem isn't clients, it's quilified X editors to fill jobs. Generally, under supply and over demand is good for wages, no?"

Generally, but this is LA we're talking about. The land where a studio makes a $200 million movie that does a billion dollars at the box office world wide but somehow never turns a profit. ;)

I hope the word gets out about Sam trying to act as a matchmaker because I rarely (really rarely) see jobs for X posted on the usual job sites/lists.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2015 at 11:21:18 pm

[Bill Davis] "Generally, under supply and over demand is good for wages, no?"

Not necessarily. When companies out here switched to FCP Legacy, when they couldn't find FCP editors, they hired Avid editors and had them use FCP. And BOY OH BOY did those guys complain and use the software improperly in all sorts of ways. They caused the biggest messes. But that didn't matter...they had someone fix it, like the cheap assistant. And they learned on the job.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sam Mestman
on Feb 11, 2015 at 1:29:35 am

[Shane Ross] "And BOY OH BOY did those guys complain and use the software improperly in all sorts of ways. They caused the biggest messes. But that didn't matter...they had someone fix it, like the cheap assistant. And they learned on the job."

The more things change, the more they stay the same... FCP7 editors have a similar bad habit with X. Bill, thanks for the shoutout (in both threads)! I owe you an email. Everyone else... if you know what you're doing with X and you live in LA, please contact me.

Sam Mestman
Workflow Architect - FCPWORKS
http://www.fcpworks.com
http://www.wemakemovies.org

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 11, 2015 at 1:59:41 am
Last Edited By Mitch Ives on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:01:10 am

[Bill Davis] " If you didn't listen to the naysayers and have real pro experience, they have clients with needs right now. FWIW"

Seriously? I find that offensive. I guess if we were a naysayer, then we don't have pro experience. Wow...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:27:12 am

I read it as implying Pro experience WITH X. IOW if you didn't listen to the naysayers and went ahead and learned X and have pro experience using it...

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:32:18 am

[Bret Williams] "I read it as implying Pro experience WITH X. IOW if you didn't listen to the naysayers and went ahead and learned X and have pro experience using it..."

That would make me a member of a very large group...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:34:28 am

Don't forget the live in LA part. That'd be a helluva commute for me.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:49:38 am

I can relate...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 11, 2015 at 5:55:25 am

Wrong side of the bed Mitch?

During the first 1-2 years of X, we all saw a bunch of folks kick the tires and then head off to AVID or Premier, convinced that X was (what was the knock? Oh yeah, iMovie Pro.)

So here we are, really serious operations in LA are suddenly looking for qualified X editors because they have good JOBS they need to fill - and are having to look hard to find qualified editors with major program editing experience.

I fail to see why that's a knock on anyone like you, who, while sure, you tend to mostly post criticisms about X, at least we both know you took the time to learn to edit properly with it.

Which puts you well ahead of anyone who fiddled with it - and couldn't figure it out. At least as far as these specific high profile Hollywood slots go.

I know for a fact that Sam and Noah travel internationally a lot doing X training for really serious global operations. I suspect it's a bit tiring starting editors from literally square one. And with the types of clients they're attracting, they're looking for higher end FCP X talent.

It's nothing but a good sign for those with solid X skills.

Simple as that. .

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:28:34 pm

[Bill Davis] "Wrong side of the bed Mitch?"

I was thinking I could ask you the same question with regard to your original post?

So my question is: are you suggesting that your original call for editors would have been less successful without the snarky comment?

I'm thinking it would have worked just as well, and since you were the one who pointed out that Jerry Seinfeld used to spend hours trying to remove a few words to make his message more clear, I would think that you of all people would appreciate that?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 11, 2015 at 4:53:43 pm

[Bill Davis] "So here we are, really serious operations in LA are suddenly looking for qualified X editors because they have good JOBS they need to fill - and are having to look hard to find qualified editors with major program editing experience. "

What are the serious operations in LA? Like I've mentioned in previous posts, my single biggest reason for not learning X is that there are barely any X jobs in LA (and I've yet to come across a publicly posted job for X in LA that wasn't on the lower end of the pay scale). If there are enough good paying jobs to be had then that certainly makes X more attractive to me (and I'd assume many other freelancers in LA too).

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 11, 2015 at 10:40:29 pm

I wondering the same as Andrew - while I have a staff gig, I'm always on the hunt looking for opportunities both Freelance and otherwise.

I've seen two posts total about FCP X none of which offered anything close to a livable wage or even close to what the average day player in LA would be making. And that's just "average day player". There's still many here who are making $1500 a day at the top end of the spectrum. That said, i took it upon myself to learn the software to formulate my own opinions and have used it on a few freelance gigs now where the client didnt care what I was cutting on.

As someone who doesn't solely rely on X, but know's it well enough to execute and deliver high end work - I reached out to Sam as well. It will be interesting to see what comes back.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 12, 2015 at 4:11:06 pm
Last Edited By Chris Harlan on Feb 12, 2015 at 4:20:51 pm

DirecTV's promo department has moved largely to X, though I think they still have some Legacy holdouts. At least that's the way it was last year. Sadly, my very good friend who worked there was killed during his commute this last summer, so I've lost track of what's happening there. But, they seemed happy with it. And, Magic Feather, of course. Those are the two groups I know who are using X out here. I'm sure there are more, but I don't see an explosion coming.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:11:25 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "What are the serious operations in LA? "

FCPWORKS is...apparently. And they, according to Sam, are getting requests from people for broadcast/film professionals that use FCX.

But so far that's the only place I've seen looking. Not to say that I haven't seen people looking for FCX editors, but they are for YouTube channels or other web distributors, and the pay isn't even half the going rate that broadcast professionals get. Not so serious, in other words.

BUT...FCP Legacy didn't get taken seriously until after COLD MOUNTAIN and SCRUBS...so now that FOCUS is out, this might build. But I don't expect it to boom nearly as fast, nor as much, as FCP Legacy did. Legacy took off because the only other NLE in town was Avid, and it was very high priced. So companies looked to FCP to cut costs...even tried to hire editors for LESS than the going rate because, hey, FCP is cheaper...so they should be, right? (That viewpoint went away fast).

But now Avid is cheaper, and Premiere is out there, also not too expensive. So there are more options. And the Legacy FCP editors in LA are more comfortable using Premiere, or going back to Avid. Because they are perfectly viable and inexpensive options. This isn't to say that FCX won't gain a foot hold here in LA on features and TV shows...I just don't see it as booming as fast as Legacy did...nor getting nearly as widespread as Legacy got. Yes, it'll see use. But it'll be a small market. IMHO.

Not trying to put it down...this is just how I see things. I was one of the early adopters of FCP...starting with FCP 2. And I didn't take it seriously as a broadcast worthy NLE until 4.5...and then I was a champion for it's cause. And I knew all the factors involved in how it skyrocketed and was adopted...and the conditions for that boom. Those same conditions aren't around now...so the spread of FCX won't happen nearly as fast...nor as wide. IMHO, it'll remain a specialty NLE that solves some workflow needs. But with Premiere and Avid handling 4K, and this town's infrastructure built around Avid...and adaptable to PPro as it fills the gap FCP 7 left...not many people will look to FCX.

See, FCX isn't catered to us. Apple made it clear that they WEREN'T going to cater to us...but make the features that most people wanted, not us 2%. And that made perfect sense. Now, with FOCUS being done with FCX, and a huge contingent of Apple people on hand to help with that (Like there was a huge contingent to help with COLD MOUNTAIN)...maybe this will shift. Up to that point, they could care less about our small market share of editors. We aren't profitable to them...so how invested they are into going after our market again...when they were pretty much resolved NOT to early on...remains to be seen.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Feb 13, 2015 at 8:08:26 pm

OK,I am in, at least to spend 15 bucks at the multiplex to see FOCUS and assuage all the doubts generated by going with FCPX in 2011 and reading this forum over the years. Of course my 600,000 plus views on Youtube and monetized earnings of $17.31 may not qualify me as a "serious editor", but I always enjoy the lively debates generated by this subject.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 12, 2015 at 4:13:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "It's nothing but a good sign for those with solid X skills"

True enough. I passed your notice on to a friend of mine. Thanks for posting it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2015 at 10:30:01 pm

[Bill Davis] "Serious X Editors needed in LA."

What about "funny" editors in Chicago? Do they need those?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 12, 2015 at 10:35:31 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "What about "funny" editors in Chicago? Do they need those?"

Stoic editors in NYC?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2015 at 10:56:41 pm

Lackadaisical editors in Florida?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 12, 2015 at 11:12:17 pm

Really good editors from anywhere, able to work with all NLE software and platforms available? I know a lot of those guys.

Tim

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 14, 2015 at 11:46:25 pm

I was working with a producer recently recutting a film that was done in FCP X. It's a horror film with a massive thirty sfx/music tracks going at times.

After his experience with it and how much time and money he saved he doesn't want to work with editors who won't use it.

Rereading the "Cold Mountain" book now, there were so many legitimate reasons to stay far away from FCP 3-4 for features. It started to take off because it was inexpensive and didn't require extra hardware on top of the computer to run.

It's the people who write the checks who will ultimately make the transition happen.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 14, 2015 at 11:57:37 pm

I don't think there is a single editor out there who will refuse to use FCPX. If someone offered me a good job and using FCPX was a deal breaker then I would accept in a second. Any good editor can make any NLE do what he/she needs it to do. The oft repeated myth that there is an Illuminati of editors out there who will reject working with X in any circumstance is just that: A myth. The market governs here.

Tim

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 15, 2015 at 12:30:55 am

Hi Timothy, you are coming at this from a fair and reasonable point of view. You are actually the exception to what I've experienced.

I agree that most editors, even the ones who make the "what smells in here" face when FCP X is mentioned would learn it and use it if it meant getting a job or not. (Just not without protest!)

My point is that once word gets out how much faster a film can be prepped for the edit and sent to finishing*, (Red esp) that's what will start the demand to rise.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Feb 17, 2015 at 7:32:06 am

I've met a few. Hollywood folks can be pretty hide-bound. Most of these naysayers I've come across would be so obnoxious in showing their distaste/disapproval of X that they'd never be given the chance to learn X in order to get the gig. Who needs to work with somebody with such a bad attitude? Lots of editors in this town...

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 17, 2015 at 11:50:12 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I don't think there is a single editor out there who will refuse to use FCPX. If someone offered me a good job and using FCPX was a deal breaker then I would accept in a second."

Exactly. Which is why I learned Premiere. I think the editing experience on PP is solidly "meh", but there are jobs out there to be had on it. God, we editors are so easy.... ;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]