FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best DSLR for £375 / $570?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike albertini
Best DSLR for £375 / $570?
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:56:47 pm

Hi,

I am in the market for a DSLR to shoot short video documentaries/music videos to edit in FCPX.

My budget is £375/$570. I don't mind buying second hand from ebay etc.

Ideally I'd go for a Panasonic GH3 but this is out of my price range, so I am considering a GH2.

I was in the market for one of these a few years back when it was considered the best DSLR for a budget price.

As technology changes so rapidly I was just wondering if the GH2 would still be the best option or if other cameras have come along which would be better for the money?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best DSLR for £375 / $570?
on Feb 7, 2015 at 3:17:52 pm

If you're really focused on video you might consider getting a second hand Blackmagic Pocket Camera. New is about $950 theses days but used is around $600. Shoots ProRes and cDNG RAW so you aren't compressed with an H.264 codec. Of course ProRes drops right into FCPX and, given the codec, won't stress a lower budget Mac if you have the same budget limitations you have with the camera.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Feb 8, 2015 at 5:07:26 am

The best DSLR is actually one without the SLR in it - a mirror less or a 'bridge' camera. Some of these cams have gone way ahead of conventional DSLRs as far as video is concerned. And, looking through a viewfinder as opposed to looking at an LCD is better for 'filming'.

The Sony RX-10 an excellent camera with an f/2.8 lens, but £ 700 or so. As is the Panasonic FZ-1000 but still £ 600. So with your budget, you're left with the Sony HX400, Panasonic FZ200, or Olympus Pen.

Whatever you go with, Image Stabilization, good AF, and an eye-level viewfinder are features you should not dispense with.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 9, 2015 at 1:32:06 am

I saw a quick review of a Samsung mirrorless that shoots video and is around $800 including the short zoom. Redshark news had the info.

But the Blackmagic Pocket is hard to fault for a video camera with micro4/3 lenses and proper codecs. From time to time it has been price slashed like black friday deals to $500. It would be my choice in that price range.

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:32:53 am

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. The Blackmagic camera does seem a nice option but I can't find one in which is cheap enough to fit into my budget.

Neil - How would you say the Canon 550D / 600D compare to the cheaper cameras you mentioned?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:59:01 pm

Still slightly out of your budget, but a great camera is the Sony a6000.
Proper focus peaking, zebras, and a clean HDMI out.
You'll need an external audio recorder though.

FS100, EX1, GoPro, 2x Hacks, FCPX etc

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Feb 14, 2015 at 10:18:59 am

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your advice.

My budget however is imperative as I am primarily a video editor looking to make short docs to help me get work as an editor on docs.

I am now thinking of going for a Canon 600D which I think I can get for around £250 / $385 second hand.

Can anyone please give me feedback on this camera - is it still a good buy ay this price? Is the quality of the video good? Any problems? etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]